HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few things.

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Yep, and a couple in the WJC's before that. I'm pretty familiar with Jani Rita. I imagine most of you guys are too. Clearly the coaching staff is, and they don't think he's good enough to play for the Oilers yet.

Guys' terrific interview with Kevin prendergast gives us some insight imo. The Oilers have gone the Jason Chimera route with Rita, which means pretty much a full season in the AHL.

I think Rita's not coming over right away really hurt him alot. A guy like Semenov plays a tougher position, has some special issues (he's so damn big he sometimes lacks coordination). Rita clearly does have some ways to go, but he's still not very old or anything.

Old
12-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Mizral

No, but if you remember a post you made about 2 months ago, Rita's window is closing. In that post you made, you had the 'time spent' in the minors equaling how good a player was. At this point, Rita would be way, way down the talent list. Not saying he can't be an anomoly (Demitra was, for instance), but it's not looking like Rita has top 6 potential anymore.

Old
12-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Not saying he can't be an anomoly (Demitra was, for instance), but it's not looking like Rita has top 6 potential anymore.
I just don't understand how anyone can make this claim at this point in Rita's career.. he has played less than 20 games in the NHL! He may not have made the Oilers lineup so far but that does not neccessarily mean that he is less talented than many players currently on Edmonton's roster.. instead, perhaps the Oilers are trying to mould Rita into the player they believe he can be and thus will not promote him until he works on some aspects of the game they believe he can be better at. I don't believe it is possible to label him as a 3rd liner or worse until he sees at least a half season at the NHL level..

Old
12-27-2003, 12:01 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I just don't understand how anyone can make this claim at this point in Rita's career.. he has played less than 20 games in the NHL! He may not have made the Oilers lineup so far but that does not neccessarily mean that he is less talented than many players currently on Edmonton's roster.. instead, perhaps the Oilers are trying to mould Rita into the player they believe he can be and thus will not promote him until he works on some aspects of the game they believe he can be better at. I don't believe it is possible to label him as a 3rd liner or worse until he sees at least a half season at the NHL level..
personally, i think the fact that rita is 23 years old and has only played 20 games in the NHL kind of supports mizral's statement. the fact that he can't even crack the oilers lineup (when guys like cleary, laraque, chimera, horcoff, and pisani are/were playing) is pretty sad.

Closed Thread