HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

okposo

Old
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
mhs8hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mhs8hockey
okposo

With the Islanders out of the playoffs, a decision whether to turn pro could come soon for Minnesota freshman Kyle Okposo, who seems to be leaning toward the NHL.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

source: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nhl

mhs8hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs8hockey View Post
With the Islanders out of the playoffs, a decision whether to turn pro could come soon for Minnesota freshman Kyle Okposo, who seems to be leaning toward the NHL.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

source: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nhl
Wow that article is small. With that being sad,I would rather see him in BP next season then on the island

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Wow that article is small.
Seriously, who wrote that article, one of our posters? It doesn't give a source or offer up a quote or anything. I'm not locking it b/c it is a legit article from a legit newspaper but talk about a crappy article. Sheesh.

05-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Seriously, who wrote that article, one of our posters? It doesn't give a source or offer up a quote or anything. I'm not locking it b/c it is a legit article from a legit newspaper but talk about a crappy article. Sheesh.
At least i was not the only one who felt this way

Old
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Atrivis

I agree. He may turn pro,... but it is unlikely we will see him in anything but a SounTiger sweater for at least a year. Personally... I think one more year at college may be good for him. But... the risk of injury may preclude that...

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
My thought exactly

05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
It's not an article, just one blurb in a collection of blurbs on local Minny sports updates -- this one was listed under "Don't Print That" which I assume would imply it's not the best source.

Here's the column: http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci...nclick_check=1
(it's near the bottom)

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post
I agree. He may turn pro,... but it is unlikely we will see him in anything but a SounTiger sweater for at least a year. Personally... I think one more year at college may be good for him. But... the risk of injury may preclude that...
He needs a little more salt and pepper if you know what i mean

Old
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
It's not an article, just one blurb in a collection of blurbs on local Minny sports updates -- this one was listed under "Don't Print That" which I assume would imply it's not the best source.

Here's the column: http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_5805874?nclick_check=1
(it's near the bottom)
Yeah, I went to the actual newspaper and saw the blurb. Just sayin' that it was a crappy way to list it. Not something like, "According to teammates" or "According to sources close to him". Just "Looks like he's leaning that way" or something close to that. I just think it is irresponsible writing but welcome to Journalism in the year 2007, I guess.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:52 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

I'd have no qualms about seeing him in an Isles sweater next year. Decent speed, physical play, good hands, but more importantly, a nice shot of youth. What better time than now for our youngsters to get NHL experience, with guys like Smyth, Sillinger and Witt in their primes.

That said, I wouldn't be upset either if he stays in school.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd have no qualms about seeing him in an Isles sweater next year. Decent speed, physical play, good hands, but more importantly, a nice shot of youth. What better time than now for our youngsters to get NHL experience, with guys like Smyth, Sillinger and Witt in their primes.

That said, I wouldn't be upset either if he stays in school.
Guys like Smyth may not be around.

Old
05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Guys like Smyth may not be around.
Don't you say that. Don't you EVER say that. He'll stay here. He'll stay as long as he can. For the love of God he'll cherish it.... He's gotta cherish it.... He does...

(A spin on a Billy Madison quote-- so no one thinks I'm crazy)

Old
05-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
yea this was way to short to really understand if it's possible or not...IMO, I don't think KO should be rushed to the NHL level just yet, no need at this point. If anything give him time in B-port, but it seems way to soon...maybe he proves me wrong in camp or something, which would be nice, but otherwise, kid needs some time to develop.

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
E_Godard

Im probably gonna get **** for this, but Id really like to see the kid get a shot in the NHL next season. I dont see the harm in trying him out for a small stint.. maybe 10-15 games, if things dont work out then send him to BP for the season. Im just tired of housing our best in BP in hopes theyll one day be READY for the NHL.

To me it just feels like when we send someone to BP, theyre likely to never return.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Im probably gonna get **** for this, but Id really like to see the kid get a shot in the NHL next season. I dont see the harm in trying him out for a small stint.. maybe 10-15 games, if things dont work out then send him to BP for the season. Im just tired of housing our best in BP in hopes theyll one day be READY for the NHL.

To me it just feels like when we send someone to BP, theyre likely to never return.
Good point but there's always the Connolly fear that the guy will fall right on his face.

I do agree with you though that he should be given a shot to make the team if he sees himself as ready. The bright side of it is, if he makes the team and plays well, we won't have to ***** our pants come deadline day in fear of him getting traded for, say, Owen Nolan?

Old
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
JP Parise

If former Minnesota Vikings running back Robert Smith and former heavyweight fighter/kickboxer/actor Randall "Tex" Cob had a baby...

...it's name would be Kyle Okposo.

Or not.

At any rate, I'd like to see him spend a year down at the Bridge before he's thrown into the warm, moist, chocolate flavored embrace of a Hempstead hooker.

I mean Islanders hockey.

Ahem.

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
E_Godard

JP, that really made me laugh to loud for work!

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Parise View Post
If former Minnesota Vikings running back Robert Smith and former heavyweight fighter/kickboxer/actor Randall "Tex" Cob had a baby...

...it's name would be Kyle Okposo.

Or not.

At any rate, I'd like to see him spend a year down at the Bridge before he's thrown into the warm, moist, chocolate flavored embrace of a Hempstead hooker.

I mean Islanders hockey.

Ahem.
JP Parise FTW!!! Outstanding, bro!

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Enforcer_PL

If he sign with the Isles You should wait and see what he can do at the camp before You start writing that he has to play one year in the AHL. Why You're so sure he isn't ready yet? I'm not so sure... He is a wild card for me.

Enforcer_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer_PL View Post
If he sign with the Isles You should wait and see what he can do at the camp before You start writing that he has to play one year in the AHL. Why You're so sure he isn't ready yet? I'm not so sure... He is a wild card for me.
People seem to discredit the NCAA in regards to guys jumping to the pros prior to graduating (completing their NCAA hockey career). Many guys have made the early jump right to the pros, and been successful in doing so.

Okposo reminds me eerily of Vanek, but a hell of a lot more physical. I think he could come in and play right away for you guys, the same way Vanek probably could have done if there wasn't a lockout.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:57 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer_PL View Post
What he said.

Seriously, I've been saying this a lot lately, but what keeps most kids out of the NHL?

The need to fill out physically, but Okposo has an NHL body.

Mental/emotional immaturity, but everything I've read about Okposo says that's not an issue.

Holes in their game, but Okposo apparently plays an all-around game and does the little things well.

Bottom line is, I'm also willing to wait to see how things shake out in camp. There are always exceptions to the rules, and I have a feeling Okposo might be one.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Seriously, I've been saying this a lot lately, but what keeps most kids out of the NHL?
It's funny because people have all these opinions and most have never seen the guy play one shift.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
My friend

One thing I've mentioned before, and will say again:

You will not see Okposo don a Soundtigers Uniform...EVER. It's either NHL or back to school.

No top NHL Draft pick is going to forgo a FREE education at a prestigious University to go play in the AHL, just because some people have arbitrarily decided that's what he should do.

Soundtigers fans who I've chatted with, who'd LOVE to see Okposo play for them have said so. Maybe Tom could straighten me out if I'm wrong.

My friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:34 PM
KH1

Maybe I'm reading into this too much and Blake Comeau and Jeff Tambellini are pure professionals (not just kids about my age) but I'd be pissed if I got stuck in Bridgeport for another year because Okposo jumped me on name recognition alone.

Promoting Okposo to the NHL immediately would be a reversal of every principle that Ted Nolan preached last season, because it would take an assurance that he'd be here for the long haul (and maybe even a one way contract) to convince him to make the jump.

Lord knows that Tambellini and Robert Nilsson learned that to make Nolan's lineup you supposedly have to earn your spot.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote