HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

okposo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
  #26
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
Maybe I'm reading into this too much and Blake Comeau and Jeff Tambellini are pure professionals (not just kids about my age) but I'd be pissed if I got stuck in Bridgeport for another year because Okposo jumped me on name recognition alone.

Promoting Okposo to the NHL immediately would be a reversal of every principle that Ted Nolan preached last season, because it would take an assurance that he'd be here for the long haul (and maybe even a one way contract) to convince him to make the jump.

Lord knows that Tambellini and Robert Nilsson learned that to make Nolan's lineup you supposedly have to earn your spot.
If Okposo outplays guys like Comeau or Tambo in camp, how is that not earning his spot?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:06 PM
  #27
islanderfan11
Registered User
 
islanderfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cornell University
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Don't you say that. Don't you EVER say that. He'll stay here. He'll stay as long as he can. For the love of God he'll cherish it.... He's gotta cherish it.... He does...


(A spin on a Billy Madison quote-- so no one thinks I'm crazy)
hahaah i caught that before i read ur explanation......i think ive seen it just a few too many times

back on topic, regarding okposo i hope he stays in school a little more cus the last thing this franchise needs is to rush up and ruin another prospect

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
  #28
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 398
If the Isles buyout Yashin and sign Smyth and sign additional UFAs, they'll need (or Charles will want) some cheap forwards. A guy like Okposo, if ready, would make less than $1 million. Don't discount that in the equation.

Note that I said "if ready". I'm not suggesting the Isles will rush him to save money, although I'm sure someone else will.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
  #29
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If the Isles buyout Yashin and sign Smyth and sign additional UFAs, they'll need (or Charles will want) some cheap forwards. A guy like Okposo, if ready, would make less than $1 million. Don't discount that in the equation.

Note that I said "if ready". I'm not suggesting the Isles will rush him to save money, although I'm sure someone else will.
True, but due to the cap, money will always be an issue. And if we sign a guy like Okposo too early, we'll use up his entry level contract years. Whenever we choose to sign him, we'll get three years at approximately 1m, it might be wise to save those for when he's ready and not waste them on AHL time or unproductive seasons in the NHL. But if he is in fact ready, you make an absolutely valid point. I have no idea if he's ready or not personally, as I simply have not watched him play enough to say.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:30 PM
  #30
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
True, but due to the cap, money will always be an issue. And if we sign a guy like Okposo too early, we'll use up his entry level contract years. Whenever we choose to sign him, we'll get three years at approximately 1m, it might be wise to save those for when he's ready and not waste them on AHL time or unproductive seasons in the NHL. But if he is in fact ready, you make an absolutely valid point. I have no idea if he's ready or not personally, as I simply have not watched him play enough to say.
Seph, that's a great point about the entry level contract years, and it also brings on UFA status sooner. I didn't think of that.

And my hunch that he might be ready is based primarily on what I've read, directly and between the lines, from scouts and commentators and the like.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
  #31
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
If Okposo outplays guys like Comeau or Tambo in camp, how is that not earning his spot?
I'm worried about a situation in which Tambellini or Comeau or Colliton outplays Okposo in camp, but Okposo makes the team instead because of his big name and high draft choice.

Obviously this is just a guess because I have no inside info on what's happening in KO's brain, but I doubt he leaves the Gophers unless he's assured a roster spot on the Isles.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
  #32
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I'm worried about a situation in which Tambellini or Comeau or Colliton outplays Okposo in camp, but Okposo makes the team instead because of his big name and high draft choice.

Obviously this is just a guess because I have no inside info on what's happening in KO's brain, but I doubt he leaves the Gophers unless he's assured a roster spot on the Isles.
WHy do we all assume he will only leave if its to be on the big club next season ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:41 AM
  #33
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I'm worried about a situation in which Tambellini or Comeau or Colliton outplays Okposo in camp, but Okposo makes the team instead because of his big name and high draft choice.

Obviously this is just a guess because I have no inside info on what's happening in KO's brain, but I doubt he leaves the Gophers unless he's assured a roster spot on the Isles.
Personally, I just don't see that happening. Robert Nilsson was a higher draft pick and due to his father had a bigger name than either Tambo (Jeff Tambellini was not as big of a star as Kent Nilsson) or Hilbert. Didn't stop Nolan from sending him straight down after a weak camp.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
  #34
Enforcer_PL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
If Okposo outplays guys like Comeau or Tambo in camp, how is that not earning his spot?
Good point Seph! for Okposo
GO! GO! GO! K.O.!!!

Enforcer_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 03:15 PM
  #35
My friend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
WHy do we all assume he will only leave if its to be on the big club next season ?
Because if he comes to training camp, he has to pay his own way there, and pay his own hotel etc. etc. If he comes to training camp as "one of the guys" he loses his NCAA eligibility. He has a Scholarship to play Hockey. Why lose that just to play in the AHL? Won't happen.


Last edited by My friend: 05-04-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
My friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
  #36
Melanson
Registered User
 
Melanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
True, but due to the cap, money will always be an issue. And if we sign a guy like Okposo too early, we'll use up his entry level contract years. Whenever we choose to sign him, we'll get three years at approximately 1m, it might be wise to save those for when he's ready and not waste them on AHL time or unproductive seasons in the NHL. But if he is in fact ready, you make an absolutely valid point. I have no idea if he's ready or not personally, as I simply have not watched him play enough to say.
I watched most of his games this year and I'm still 50/50 on him turning pro. I will say that another year in college wouldn't hurt him so the question, in my mind, becomes; Do we need him?

That question can be debated a bunch of different ways depending on what we do in free agency.

If he had kept up his early pace I'd say bring him to camp, however, he seemed to hit a wall in the 2nd half of the year. He definitely has the skill to play in the NHL in my view, but I'm not sure he's ready for the "grind" that is the NHL season.

One thing I don't doubt is that he will be an impact player in the NHL some day. He has a great combination of size, speed and stickhandling to go along with an accurate shot.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
  #37
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
I watched most of his games this year and I'm still 50/50 on him turning pro. I will say that another year in college wouldn't hurt him so the question, in my mind, becomes; Do we need him?

That question can be debated a bunch of different ways depending on what we do in free agency.

If he had kept up his early pace I'd say bring him to camp, however, he seemed to hit a wall in the 2nd half of the year. He definitely has the skill to play in the NHL in my view, but I'm not sure he's ready for the "grind" that is the NHL season.

One thing I don't doubt is that he will be an impact player in the NHL some day. He has a great combination of size, speed and stickhandling to go along with an accurate shot.


Would you say that his numbers declined after losing his center ( I have to appologize I forgot his name, he was dismissed because of personal problems?) or did his overall game slump?

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
  #38
islanderfan11
Registered User
 
islanderfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cornell University
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
Would you say that his numbers declined after losing his center ( I have to appologize I forgot his name, he was dismissed because of personal problems?) or did his overall game slump?
tyler hirsch i believe was his name???

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
  #39
Ultimate Warrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
I watched most of his games this year and I'm still 50/50 on him turning pro. I will say that another year in college wouldn't hurt him so the question, in my mind, becomes; Do we need him?

That question can be debated a bunch of different ways depending on what we do in free agency.

If he had kept up his early pace I'd say bring him to camp, however, he seemed to hit a wall in the 2nd half of the year. He definitely has the skill to play in the NHL in my view, but I'm not sure he's ready for the "grind" that is the NHL season.

One thing I don't doubt is that he will be an impact player in the NHL some day. He has a great combination of size, speed and stickhandling to go along with an accurate shot.
I agree 100%. I also caught most of his games this year and you summed it up well. There is no denying that Okposo has the talent to be an impact player. Although he did hit a wall in the 2nd half of the season in terms of production, he was contributing in other areas of the ice consistently. Did he dominate in the 2nd half? No, but he did the little things and set up a few important goals along the way. It takes time for these guys (especially NCAA players) to adjust to playing a full 82 game season. Endurance and mental toughness is the key to making it IMO.

If you look at Vanek from Buffalo, he had a great freshman year at "The U" and a pretty solid sophomore season as well. Following that was a year in the AHL where he dominated and a good rookie campaign last year with the Sabres. Only now has he proved to be an impact player at the NHL level. Different players but similar circumstances. I'm as big a supporter of Okposo as you will find, as I have mentioned before, but I think another year at "The U" would serve him well.

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
  #40
Melanson
Registered User
 
Melanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Losing Hirsch definitely played a role in his decline (although Okposo was the center) but he stopped creating his own shots and passed way too much IMO. he still played well and drew penalties with his puck posession in the offensive zone. he is a great passer but needs to learn to shoot more.

Also, he seemed to play better on the smaller ice surface and his game seems to be more suited to the NHL style.....which is good news.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
  #41
Ultimate Warrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderfan11 View Post
tyler hirsch i believe was his name???
bingo! Hirsch and Okposo really clicked...it allowed Okposo to play his game. It seemed like once Hirsch was dismissed, Okposo struggled to find the net. Also, I think opposing teams started to key in on him more after the eye opening start he had.

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
  #42
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 500
I think he's the type of scorer that benefits from a really good playmaker. Hirsch was that guy for him.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
  #43
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
It's not an article, just one blurb in a collection of blurbs on local Minny sports updates -- this one was listed under "Don't Print That" which I assume would imply it's not the best source.

Here's the column: http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci...nclick_check=1
(it's near the bottom)

Most of Charley Walters' writing is made up, I never looked at this one though.
I like the articles when he uses "A little Birdie says". I don't know why he's still there, however, there's been about ten things he has been right on before they happened.

IMO, Okposo needs another year with the Gophers.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:04 PM
  #44
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
Losing Hirsch definitely played a role in his decline (although Okposo was the center) but he stopped creating his own shots and passed way too much IMO.
Granted, I probably haven't seen him play as much as you have. But to me, that speaks volumes about him taking the initiative upon him self. His line lacked it's playmaker when Hirsch was dismissed, so he took that burden upon him self and probably over thought it, and thus, over did it.

Also, from the samples I've seen, his game will be better exploited if he played with a crafty, mobile playmaker.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:46 PM
  #45
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck View Post
I think he's the type of scorer that benefits from a really good playmaker.
How about Scott Gomez? I already have Okposo penciled in at RW on the Isles' top line next year with Ryan Smyth and Gomez. Now the Isles just have to sign all three of them.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
  #46
Ziggy96
No Sleep 'til...
 
Ziggy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Also, from the samples I've seen, his game will be better exploited if he played with a crafty, mobile playmaker.
Like Robert Nillson?

I really hope Smyth resigns.

Although, that kid we signed to the bridge at the end of the regular season , can't remember his name, seemed to have some decent playmaking ability.

Or, we could sign Hirsch to a minor league contract under the condition that he seek psychological counsel.

Either way, KO or no a skilled playmaker is something this team was sorely lacking this year

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
  #47
isles1055
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Is hirsch drafted yet? If not he would be a good pickup based on what you guys are saying.

isles1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 11:12 AM
  #48
Ultimate Warrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Hirsch was not drafted, pretty sure he can be signed as a FA.

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
  #49
25yearfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
I don't know the full extent, but Hirsch had some emotional issues that led the team to boot him. Doubt he would fit in on a Nolan team.

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
  #50
JeffNYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
We saw our GM say: "Oh no, I would NEVER try to talk Okposo out of leaving school! It's his decision. I loved school."

That comment by Snow was not a "stay in school and get an education!" message, but rather a negotiation tactic.. The Islanders want Okposo under contract, but under a two-way contract.. Okposo and his management structure (agent and parents/guardian), naturally, would want a 1-way deal..

The Islanders will want Okposo to be the one to say he wants to turn pro, rather than try to lure Okposo out of school through cash...

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.