HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

okposo

Old
05-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
We saw our GM say: "Oh no, I would NEVER try to talk Okposo out of leaving school! It's his decision. I loved school."

That comment by Snow was not a "stay in school and get an education!" message, but rather a negotiation tactic.. The Islanders want Okposo under contract, but under a two-way contract.. Okposo and his management structure (agent and parents/guardian), naturally, would want a 1-way deal..

The Islanders will want Okposo to be the one to say he wants to turn pro, rather than try to lure Okposo out of school through cash...

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty positive all entry level contracts are 2 way deals. And Okposo is the kind of prospect that gets the max rookie salary, so there's really not that much to negotiate. If Okposo wants to sign and the Isles want to sign him, it's pretty much all laid out by the CBA what the contract will look like.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 02:28 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty positive all entry level contracts are 2 way deals. And Okposo is the kind of prospect that gets the max rookie salary, so there's really not that much to negotiate. If Okposo wants to sign and the Isles want to sign him, it's pretty much all laid out by the CBA what the contract will look like.
Well there are incentives that rookie's get, but i am not sure if those are regulated by the league. I know Crosby can make over 2 million with incentives. Things like leading the league in scoring, hart trophy finalist, etc. So there may be some negotiating there for his calder bonus. But other than that i believe entry level contracts are automatically 2 way.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 02:32 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Excellent then.. we have that protection if Okposo needs a year to grow, which is good..

But I still think there'll be a bit of a stare-down to see if Okposo will wanna go pro, or if Okposo will wait to see if the Islanders make it worth his while...

But I'm glad 2-way deals are automatic in this situation.. thanks..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
My friend

I think all entry level contracts are "2 way", in that Okposo would remain eligible to be sent down to the AHL, without having to pass thru waivers. That's different from typical entry level contracts which stipulate a lesser salary be paid to a player when they're sent down.

This was the whole reason why Bergie didn't sign with us last year. He wanted a "1 way" contract. That meant he would've been paid the same $$, whether he was playing in the NHL, or AHL.

He was hoping this would discourage the Isles from sending him down to the AHL (although he'd remain eligible to be sent down without being subject to waivers).

Bergie felt that he was unjustly passed over in '05-'06, and was worried that the Isles would keep him in the AHL this year, just because he was eligible to play there.

Same thing with Grebshkov. He wanted no part of playing in the AHL. Signing a "1 way" deal is a way to deter the club from sending a player down to save $$.

My friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by My friend View Post
I think all entry level contracts are "2 way", in that Okposo would remain eligible to be sent down to the AHL, without having to pass thru waivers. That's different from typical entry level contracts which stipulate a lesser salary be paid to a player when they're sent down.

This was the whole reason why Bergie didn't sign with us last year. He wanted a "1 way" contract. That meant he would've been paid the same $$, whether he was playing in the NHL, or AHL.

He was hoping this would discourage the Isles from sending him down to the AHL (although he'd remain eligible to be sent down without being subject to waivers).

Bergie felt that he was unjustly passed over in '05-'06, and was worried that the Isles would keep him in the AHL this year, just because he was eligible to play there.

Same thing with Grebshkov. He wanted no part of playing in the AHL. Signing a "1 way" deal is a way to deter the club from sending a player down to save $$.
Bergie and Grebeshkov were not trying to negotiate their entry level contracts. They had already played out their entry level contracts and were trying to negotiate new contracts which were no longer subject to the restrictions on entry level contracts. So what happened with them has no bearing on what will happen with Okposo.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
My friend

Quote:
Bergie and Grebeshkov were not trying to negotiate their entry level contracts. They had already played out their entry level contracts and were trying to negotiate new contracts which were no longer subject to the restrictions on entry level contracts. So what happened with them has no bearing on what will happen with Okposo.
Good point. You're right, it is different.

I just meant that just like Okposo, they were still eligible to go down to the AHL.

My friend is offline   Reply With Quote