HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Did the season start yet?

Old
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Did the season start yet?

Playoff hockey is fun to watch.... but damn, this sucks.

Let's go Mets?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Let's go Mets?
In the words of the dude that sits in Loge, Section 5...

WOO!

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:48 PM
BJo

I've never been so bored with baseball as this year. Not really sure why. I usually love the game. Maybe this summer I will get back into it when i have some time to go to games and hockey is over. I think also my expectations were so high for the Isles making a run (before we collapsed) that i'm having a hard time shifting over to baseball at this point.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Islander102

^What he just said

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:11 PM
LVIsles*

I cant get into the Mets, I use to be such a huge Met fan, even more so then the Islanders,, since the Mets scrapped plans of building from within and tryed to buy their way to the Playoffs I have lost interest,,, maybe if they make the playoffs I will watch again

Also maybe the fact I live 2500 Miles away from Shea has something to do with it

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:37 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIsles View Post
I cant get into the Mets, I use to be such a huge Met fan, even more so then the Islanders,, since the Mets scrapped plans of building from within and tryed to buy their way to the Playoffs I have lost interest,,, maybe if they make the playoffs I will watch again

Also maybe the fact I live 2500 Miles away from Shea has something to do with it
You don't consider David Wright or Jose Reyes home grown?

Old
05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
LVIsles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
You don't consider David Wright or Jose Reyes home grown?
they are but I was hoping for the full home grown movement,, a part of my Mets fanship died in July 2004 when they traded Kazmir,, I was hoping they traded Glavine Piazza and help the farm even more instead they traded Kazmir, Huber, Peterson and Wigginton for a failed shot at the playoffs,, granted these guys may never amount to much with the exception of Kazmir, but it is just the point...

I just cant gets excited at a Mets team loaded with high priced free agents who have the highest payroll in the NL beating up on other teams

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:18 PM
IslesFTW

I agree with Bjoelson. I mean I usually love the Yankees, but it hasn't been the same this year. I have no idea why, though.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Donnico1

Its weird- I feel the same way; Im just not into the Yanks like I normally am. I just dont care so much about baseball right now. Maybe I will in June.

Donnico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:29 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIsles View Post
they are but I was hoping for the full home grown movement,, a part of my Mets fanship died in July 2004 when they traded Kazmir,, I was hoping they traded Glavine Piazza and help the farm even more instead they traded Kazmir, Huber, Peterson and Wigginton for a failed shot at the playoffs,, granted these guys may never amount to much with the exception of Kazmir, but it is just the point...

I just cant gets excited at a Mets team loaded with high priced free agents who have the highest payroll in the NL beating up on other teams
I'll take it you weren't a fan of the Ryan Smyth trade either.

Look. Winning draws in fans. The Mets are all about winning. If a team like Edmonton didn't have budgetary concerns before the lockout, would they have kept letting the young guys get a chance? No, they would've paid that enormous amount of talent they had and won 9407130487214892346928472 Stanley Cups.

Money doesn't buy championships (see: New York Yankees), but it certainly helps. And winning now is much more important than winning 3 years from now.

Although I will admit, I was not a fan of the Kazmir trade under any circumstances, but only because the Mets got ****ing Victor Zambrano in return. If it was a scenario like, say, let's go out and get John Smoltz to win us a World Championship, I think you have to do it. (And before you accuse the Mets of buying their way to the top, they held on to Pelfrey, Milledge, and Humber at last year's deadline and didn't rent Zito.)

Old
05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:

Money doesn't buy championships (see: New York Yankees)
That is true, but untrue. Money can buy championships, but you have to spend it correctly. The Yankees really haven't been too good in the offseasons in the past few season. They spend 50 million on Igawa, but could have spent that, and a bit more for a stud like Matsazuka. And now, even with a 150+ payroll, we want to get "young". The so called youth has really helped this season. The offseason moves just make me wonder some of the time

Old
05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
this does suck. how exciting is it watching all of these playoff game, man i wish we were still in it...this is going to be another long summer....

Volek25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:01 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
That is true, but untrue. Money can buy championships, but you have to spend it correctly. The Yankees really haven't been too good in the offseasons in the past few season. They spend 50 million on Igawa, but could have spent that, and a bit more for a stud like Matsazuka. And now, even with a 150+ payroll, we want to get "young". The so called youth has really helped this season. The offseason moves just make me wonder some of the time
You have to figure Cashman is going to lose his job over this. He used to spend his money on the right people; now, he is just spending his money to spend it.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
You have to figure Cashman is going to lose his job over this. He used to spend his money on the right people; now, he is just spending his money to spend it.
Hate playing Monday morning quarterback, but it is too fun. If we don't sign/trade for Randy Johnson, Pavano, Damon(although he has been good, the cf I am about to mention is better), and Igawa, we could have had this right now:

1. Jeter-ss
2. Beltran-cf
3. Rodriguez-3b
4. Abreu-rf
5. Posada-c
6. Giambi-dh
7. Matsui-lf
8. Cano-2b
9. Alphabet-1b

Matsuzaka
Wang
Mussina
Pettite
Vazquez

with Hughes in the minors

Again, it is easy playing Monday morning quarterback, but as a fan, it is my responsibility. With a repectable bullpen, this team is probably a co-world series favorite. Just did that to show that money could buy championships, but it has to be spent correctly, or you could be as worse as the Devil Rays(which we are now )

Last edited by IslesFTW: 05-05-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old
05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
Hate playing Monday morning quarterback, but it is too fun. If we don't sign/trade for Randy Johnson, Pavano, Damon(although he has been good, the cf I am about to mention is better), Pavano, and Igawa, we could have had this right now:

1. Jeter-ss
2. Beltran-cf
3. Rodriguez-3b
4. Abreu-rf
5. Posada-c
6. Giambi-dh
7. Matsui-lf
8. Cano-2b
9. Alphabet-1b

Matsuzaka
Wang
Mussina
Pettite
Vazquez

with Hughes in the minors
Typical Yankee garbage. "We can have any player we want." Mets had more money available for Beltran and would have put up as much money as the Yanks. I love how you all assume that you are gods gift to baseball, and everyone wants to be a Yankee. Get over it.

GO ISLES

Edit: Add Smiley

Last edited by BJo: 05-04-2007 at 10:46 PM.
BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
goalmachine

Send a message via AIM to goalmachine
I know the feeling. I am bored to tears with sports now. I don't have any interest in baseball whatsoever. All I have now is rooting against the Rangers (which will hopefully be over soon )

goalmachine is offline   Reply With Quote