HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro's progress

Old
05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

vCash: 500
DiPietro's progress

What kinds of strides do you see DP making next year? He made some good strides from the Olympic break and on 2 years ago, then some huge strides last year, but I'd like to think that there is still another level he can bring his game to.

Let's say we make a splash for a guy like Hannan and really solidify our defense, can Ricky join the elite(top-5) next year if he continues to improve?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:24 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
As long as his melon stays in order, he should be golden.

05-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Fantom

I think he will be solid. We need to keep a SOLID D around him this year though. I have afear that if we have crap in front of him he may go backwords

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I'm hoping he can continue the huge strides he made in terms of consistency, and hopefully be able to flat out take over and dominate games more often. But really, as long as he stays healthy and doesn't regress, I'll be pretty happy.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:41 PM
LAPPY13

The only thing stoppping Rick Dipietro from being a top 5 goalie in the NHL is HIMSELF! He has all the skills to be a top goalie. He just needs to make the easy save look easy. He should stop trying to make sports center every night with a flashy save. I see him being a 10 goalie next year. In two years he should be a top 5 goalie.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
The only thing stoppping Rick Dipietro from being a top 5 goalie in the NHL is HIMSELF! He has all the skills to be a top goalie. He just needs to make the easy save look easy. He should stop trying to make sports center every night with a flashy save. I see him being a 10 goalie next year. In two years he should be a top 5 goalie.
I thiink he already is close to the top 5 then you think. i would put him around 6 or 7 currently

Old
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
I think Ricky focused more on being a goalie and stopping pucks this season rather than being a clown (had his moments of course). He seemed really calm on the ice and showed that he is the real deal IMO. I truly believe that Ricky will be even better next season and continue to transform himself into a real elite tender in the league. Knock on wood...

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I thiink he already is close to the top 5 then you think. i would put him around 6 or 7 currently
Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Lundqvist
Kiprisoff
Giguere
Turco

DiPietro is a very good goalie, but he'll never live up to his number 1 overall draft status. Hes not even the best American goalie, that distinction belongs to Ryan Miller.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Lundqvist
Kiprisoff
Giguere
Turco

DiPietro is a very good goalie, but he'll never live up to his number 1 overall draft status. Hes not even the best American goalie, that distinction belongs to Ryan Miller.
Thank you for that vital piece of information.

JP Parise

The biggest stride he made this year, IMO, was doing a much better job of keeping his emotions in check, and not letting them take over his game.

As the season progressed he just seemed to be more confident and poised than he's ever been, which allowed his natural physical abilities to shine on (you crazy DiPietro).

I think there's some room for improvement, but nothing major. Just a few positioning tweaks, and a little better rebound control, and The Rick will have fully arrived.

I was admittedly a DiPi doubter, but there's no denying that he showed up this season, and I'm looking forward to see him, and the team, progress.

A quicker, better checking, positionally responsible defense would be a lovely accessory for the DiPietro 2008 Collection.

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAPPY13

Ricky is a great guy and a very nice person. He belongs to my parents golf club and is there most of the summer. Everybody at the club loves him. However at this point I could name at least 5 goalies who are better than him. On a side note he lost in the finals of our Golf Tournament last summer. He is a very talented guy and man can he hit a long ball!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Lundqvist
Kiprisoff
Giguere
Turco

...not the best American goalie o boy. If I was you I wouldnt come back here for a lil while, Im guessing your about to stir up a huge arguement.

First of all I have no clue how you rank Lundq over kipr Giggy and Turco. My rankings have the guys you put there then after Turco is DP/Lunq. I have no clue how your going to tell me Lunq is a clearly better goalie than DP is, but Im interested to find out.

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
Ricky is a great guy and a very nice person. He belongs to my parents golf club and is there most of the summer. Everybody at the club loves him. However at this point I could name at least 5 goalies who are better than him. On a side note he lost in the finals of our Golf Tournament last summer. He is a very talented guy and man can he hit a long ball!
He also hit a couple of bombs at Shea stadium in batting practice back when he was drafted. He was only a kid then, imagine how he'd hit now.

But yeah, as far as Miller being better than DiPietro... I disagree.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
...not the best American goalie o boy. If I was you I wouldnt come back here for a lil while, Im guessing your about to stir up a huge arguement.

First of all I have no clue how you rank Lundq over kipr Giggy and Turco. My rankings have the guys you put there then after Turco is DP/Lunq. I have no clue how your going to tell me Lunq is a clearly better goalie than DP is, but Im interested to find out.
Hunter, he's entitled to his opinion. He is bordering on flaming, though, so it would be best if he just left this conversation alone at this point.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post

The way I listed the goalies was in no particular order...just 7 goaltenders better than DiPietro IMO.

As much as it pains you Islander fans, Lundqvist is a better goaltender than DiPietro and I think most impartial hockey fans would agree with that.

This is all objective of course, but if you need tangible evidence, then look no further than the fact that Lundqvist is carrying his team further in the playoffs right now than DiPietro ever has....Then theres also the 2 Vezina nominations in 2 seasons compared to DiPietro's zero.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Lundqvist
Kiprisoff
Giguere
Turco

DP IMO and many others if far better then Miller.
this is the list i would make.
Brodeur
Roberto
Kiperisoft
DP
Henrik

Old
05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Lundqvist
Kiprisoff
Giguere
Turco

guiguere plays on on a team with niedermeyer and pronger, turco just plays on a damn good team. To suggest he will not live up to the hype is silly. Ask any knowledgeable ranger fan and they will tell you rick is a legitimate top notch goalie. Im sure you guys know first hand.

At this point in thier careers, miller and rick are on par, coems down to personal taste.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
JP Parise

Quote:
As much as it pains you Islander fans, Lundqvist is a better goaltender than DiPietro and I think most impartial hockey fans would agree with that.
Lundqvist certainly has more Qs in his name than DiPietro.

I'll grant you that.

Lundqvist has a higher consonant to vowel ratio, as well. The Q and V combination is something rarely seen outside of a NYC cabbies hack license.

Just on that alone, he's clearly the better goalie.

Can't say it pains me much, though.

Unlike this darned trench foot.

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
The way I listed the goalies was in no particular order...just 7 goaltenders better than DiPietro IMO.

This is all objective of course, but if you need tangible evidence, then look no further than the fact that Lundqvist is carrying his team further in the playoffs right now than DiPietro ever has....Then theres also the 2 Vezina nominations in 2 seasons compared to DiPietro's zero.
Well I think its ridiculous hes been nominated for the Vezina this year truthfully. DP has a better save%, .919 and a 51.6 winning percentage. Lunq had a .917 save% and a 52.85% winning percentage.

Plus the quality of players is much greater infront of Lunq as opposed to DP. Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Nylander, and maybe you can say Avery. Thats much greater than Smyth, Blake, Yashin, and Sillinger.

Not to mention DP played with 2 concussions and now a tear in his hip. So is Lunq really better than DP? The numbers themselves say barely if anything, but when you take in things beyond the stats, I think it evens it out even more.

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Fantom

Quote:

It would not pain me i the verry least. I just dont think he is better then ricky. At best they might be =

Old
05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:

Yeah, b/c the goalie is clearly the only factor. Never mind the fact that the Rangers have one of the best players in the game in Jagr and a pretty damned good supporting cast in Nylander, Straka, Brendan Freaking Shanahan, etc.

And not to mention that the Rangers got to play the Atlanta (Hooray, it is our first time in the playoffs! Woo-hoo!) Thrashers in the first round who decided after one game that their #1 goalie all of a sudden wasn't their #1 goalie anymore...but oops, yes he is again.

I'm not trying to diminish the Rangers' accomplishments b/c I do think they are a better team than the Islanders currently, but your reasons for why DP is inferior to Lundqvist are seriously flawed.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Richard Park 10

These Lundy vs. DP arguments are bound to happen, but they are ridiculous. How can you say one is better than the other? I have seen them both take over games and steal points and they both do not play behind the greatest of D's.

I don't think it would make a difference standings wise at all if Lundy was the isles goalie or if DP was with the rangers. The only differnce would be DP on the rangers would be the poster boy for the NHL.

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I'm hoping he can continue the huge strides he made in terms of consistency, and hopefully be able to flat out take over and dominate games more often. But really, as long as he stays healthy and doesn't regress, I'll be pretty happy.
Good post Seph. Consistency is the most important aspect of DP's game. He really improved in that aspect this past season and hopefully can take it up a notch next year. All goalies (I guess all players) will have off nights but with DP it seems like those off nights are mostly mental. If he can stay mentally consistent I don't see any doubt that he can continue to mature into one of the elite NHL goalies. Of course a better D would help expedite the maturation process.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
These Lundy vs. DP arguments are bound to happen, but they are ridiculous. How can you say one is better than the other? I have seen them both take over games and steal points and they both do not play behind the greatest of D's.

I don't think it would make a difference standings wise at all if Lundy was the isles goalie or if DP was with the rangers. The only differnce would be DP on the rangers would be the poster boy for the NHL.
Frankly, I think the Rangers have the better D. I mean, Poti was considered not good enough to play on it, and on ours he's the #1 D. What does that tell you?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Yeah, b/c the goalie is clearly the only factor. Never mind the fact that the Rangers have one of the best players in the game in Jagr and a pretty damned good supporting cast in Nylander, Straka, Brendan Freaking Shanahan, etc.

And not to mention that the Rangers got to play the Atlanta (Hooray, it is our first time in the playoffs! Woo-hoo!) Thrashers in the first round who decided after one game that their #1 goalie all of a sudden wasn't their #1 goalie anymore...but oops, yes he is again.

I'm not trying to diminish the Rangers' accomplishments b/c I do think they are a better team than the Islanders currently, but your reasons for why DP is inferior to Lundqvist are seriously flawed.
Good point Killer. The Rangers have a better team than the Isles. It's tough to say at this point who is the better goalie but I would guess that if DP were on the Rangers they would probably be in the same place that they are now.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote