HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Peca

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
  #1
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Mike Peca

If the Islanders buy out Yashin (which I dont believe they will) would there be any interest in bringing Peca back in the offseason if the price is right. He would be a great 3rd line center for our team and I highly doubt he demands the money he once did.

Peca would fill a roll for the Isles as a penalty killer and help lift some of the defensive responsibilities off Sillinger's shoulders. Although not the scorer he was during the '02 season Peca could still put up 10-15 goals as a third line guy and continue to fill our team with character players. Peca is also great friends with Jason Blake so that might serve as some incentive for him to reup on Long Island.

Hey who knows Peca might even be able to bring back some of that magic we saw in Shawn Bates a few seasons back.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:46 PM
  #2
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
If the Islanders buy out Yashin (which I dont believe they will) would there be any interest in bringing Peca back in the offseason if the price is right. He would be a great 3rd line center for our team and I highly doubt he demands the money he once did.

Peca would fill a roll for the Isles as a penalty killer and help lift some of the defensive responsibilities off Sillinger's shoulders. Although not the scorer he was during the '02 season Peca could still put up 10-15 goals as a third line guy and continue to fill our team with character players. Peca is also great friends with Jason Blake so that might serve as some incentive for him to reup on Long Island.

Hey who knows Peca might even be able to bring back some of that magic we saw in Shawn Bates a few seasons back.
I love the idea actually. he would be a nice 3rd line center for us. the question is what is the right price? 1.5 ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:47 PM
  #3
onesinceforty
Registered User
 
onesinceforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
If the Islanders buy out Yashin (which I dont believe they will) would there be any interest in bringing Peca back in the offseason if the price is right. He would be a great 3rd line center for our team and I highly doubt he demands the money he once did.

Peca would fill a roll for the Isles as a penalty killer and help lift some of the defensive responsibilities off Sillinger's shoulders. Although not the scorer he was during the '02 season Peca could still put up 10-15 goals as a third line guy and continue to fill our team with character players. Peca is also great friends with Jason Blake so that might serve as some incentive for him to reup on Long Island.

Hey who knows Peca might even be able to bring back some of that magic we saw in Shawn Bates a few seasons back.
I'd feel more comfortable in an eggshell wearing an Isles sweater. No Thanks! Move on.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
  #4
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I love the idea actually. he would be a nice 3rd line center for us. the question is what is the right price? 1.5 ?
Peca made 2.5 this season and was slowed by injuries. That said your estimate of 1.5 sounds about right to me. Possibly as high as 2 but no higher than that.

I know that people are going to say they dont want him back for an array of reasons, lack of offense, age, prone to injuries last few years.

However, I do not believe the Islanders would need to depend of Peca for offense if he was soley a 3rd line defensive guy. Anything he put in over 10 or 12 would be gravy. He always plays hard so I do not believe that age is a factor. Finally injuries are a concern but for 1.5-2 mil what better 3rd line center are you going to add to your team?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
  #5
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,051
vCash: 500
I dont know man... he spent more then half of last season injured and only managed to muster 15 points in 35 games. Not saying thats horrid, but I dont really see this benefitting us.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
  #6
Machiavelli
Registered User
 
Machiavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
I dont think Peca would want to come back to LI

sometimes you just have to let go and move on

Machiavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
  #7
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I dont think Peca would want to come back to LI

sometimes you just have to let go and move on
I agree about moving on and I wasnt upset to see him go. However, when I look at the possibilites for a 3rd line center I dont see any better options. Plus I think it is important to free Sillinger from the role of playing the other teams top line. He is our most offensive centerman.

Maybe we can just make Yashin our defensive 3rd line center

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
  #8
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I dont know man... he spent more then half of last season injured and only managed to muster 15 points in 35 games. Not saying thats horrid, but I dont really see this benefitting us.
I agree. He's not the same Peca he used to be, and seems really injury prone nowadays. In addition, we don't need more third line players, we need more top 2 line players.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
  #9
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,154
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I dont know man... he spent more then half of last season injured and only managed to muster 15 points in 35 games. Not saying thats horrid, but I dont really see this benefitting us.
When he was here, our PK was amazing, among the best in the league regardless of goaltender. Since he left, our PK has been putrid, among the worst the league and that's been a big killer for us. Even if he was just a PK specialist, I'd pay him 1.5m, because we need someone like that that badly on the PK.

Though I agree, the injuries are a serious concern.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
  #10
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
I agree. He's not the same Peca he used to be, and seems really injury prone nowadays. In addition, we don't need more third line players, we need more top 2 line players.
WHile i do agree we need top 6 guys. whats wrong with getting him as a depth player ?
he would be a asset to us IMO. its always good to have some strength down the middle.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
  #11
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
I agree. He's not the same Peca he used to be, and seems really injury prone nowadays. In addition, we don't need more third line players, we need more top 2 line players.
The Islanders really dont have any depth up the middle.

Sillinger, Yashin (who I think will be played on wing next season), Robitaille (who will be gone), Park & Bates (both can play wing)

Peca is still very strong in his own end.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:04 PM
  #12
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
If he didn't have the appeal of being an ex-Islander, most of the people here would want no part of an aging, frequently hurt, not very productive Mike Peca.

Look at it objectively and really think about it.

__________________
No more running. I aim to misbehave.
Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
  #13
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
If he didn't have the appeal of being an ex-Islander, most of the people here would want no part of an aging, frequently hurt, not very productive Mike Peca.

Look at it objectively and really think about it.
I would take him even if he never was here. Yes he is a risk but sometimes a SMALL risk is worth it.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
  #14
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
If he didn't have the appeal of being an ex-Islander, most of the people here would want no part of an aging, frequently hurt, not very productive Mike Peca.

Look at it objectively and really think about it.
Truthfully I never loved him as an Islander. I always thought he was overpaid and overrated (as a $5 million player). That said as a player making 1.5-2 million I think he is a bargain. He does seem to have the injury bug but he is not an old player by any means.

We are talking the same money that Richard Zednik makes. I liked having Zednik on the team but if you give me a choice of Zednik or Peca for the same money its a no brainer.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
  #15
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Plus if he gets hurt and goes on the Injured Reserve for over 2 weeks his salary no longer counts against cap giving us wiggle room to bring someone else in.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
  #16
JP Parise
Registered User
 
JP Parise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Up the Hudson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
If he didn't have the appeal of being an ex-Islander, most of the people here would want no part of an aging, frequently hurt, not very productive Mike Peca.

Look at it objectively and really think about it.
That pretty much sums up my feelings on Peca redux.

I like the guy alot, but, given all the variables, I just don't think he's the help we need.

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:10 PM
  #17
LAPPY13
Registered User
 
LAPPY13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Maybe I am wrong but I blame Peca for all the in room fighting and for Peter Laviolette getting fired. He seems to talk on two sides of his mouth. As the Captain he should be held somewhat responsible.

That being said he played great his first season with the Islanders.

I would pass but if he signed here I would be ok with it!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
  #18
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
No thanks.

Instead of waiting for the next inevitable Peca injury, I'd rather sign somebody like Eric Belanger or Adam Mair or Jason Ward. These guys are cheaper, provide some offense here and there, and are likely to play more than 50 games per season (which is, to be honest, more than can be realistically expected from Peca.)

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
  #19
Atrivis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mamaroneck, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
I am not interested. The only thing Peca hits anymore is the post. I know a lot of people have nostalgia over bringing old players back. I loved the guy, but I think it's time to move on. Only guy I would bring back is Turgeon as a 3rd liner at aless than $1M. He was hurt last year but he can put up decent numbers and is a threat in the offensive zone still.

If Peca came back for a little more than $1M (maybe 1.5), I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I doubt Yash is bought out so it would be moot anyways..

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
  #20
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
No thanks.
great avatar!

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
  #21
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Thanks bro, but it's got nothing on yours

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
  #22
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post
I am not interested. The only thing Peca hits anymore is the post. I know a lot of people have nostalgia over bringing old players back. I loved the guy, but I think it's time to move on. Only guy I would bring back is Turgeon as a 3rd liner at aless than $1M. He was hurt last year but he can put up decent numbers and is a threat in the offensive zone still.

If Peca came back for a little more than $1M (maybe 1.5), I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I doubt Yash is bought out so it would be moot anyways..
thats what we are saying no more then 1.5.
I have no nostalgia feeling over anyone . I just think he would be a help to our squad. that is also not saying that there are better choices out there. As a 3rd line center he could be very useful.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
  #23
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
No thanks.

Instead of waiting for the next inevitable Peca injury, I'd rather sign somebody like Eric Belanger or Adam Mair or Jason Ward. These guys are cheaper, provide some offense here and there, and are likely to play more than 50 games per season (which is, to be honest, more than can be realistically expected from Peca.)
Peca is a far superior player to all three of those guys. Especially Mair and Ward. Belanger is more of an offensive player.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
  #24
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post
I am not interested. The only thing Peca hits anymore is the post. I know a lot of people have nostalgia over bringing old players back. I loved the guy, but I think it's time to move on. Only guy I would bring back is Turgeon as a 3rd liner at aless than $1M. He was hurt last year but he can put up decent numbers and is a threat in the offensive zone still.

If Peca came back for a little more than $1M (maybe 1.5), I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I doubt Yash is bought out so it would be moot anyways..
Turgeon is a player I loved but there is no room for a guy like him on a 3rd line. If you are going to get him it has to be as a top 6 and that Ill pass on.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
  #25
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Peca is a far superior player to all three of those guys. Especially Mair and Ward. Belanger is more of an offensive player.
But he's also more expensive and he's no good to anybody when he's off the ice with injuries.

Mair is getting better and better and he's always making things happen with hitting and aggressive forechecking. Ditto Ward, except he knows his way around the front of the net better.

As for Belanger, he's developed into a very good defensive player and a great faceoff man. Plus, we could use some more offense from the bottom lines.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.