HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Peca

Old
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
iggy

vCash: 500
Play the kids

iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:33 PM
RWWallpaper

Peca could play for me any day of the week...but at a VERY fair price. 2 year deal at 1.5 million per would be just fine. I mean Bates almost makes that for Christ Sakes. 3rd line center that, like Seph stated, could really help out on the PK. Not to mention, add some leadership, character and grit to the group. It's an interesting idea at the very least...assuming Yashin is bought out that is and as we all know around here, that is a HUGE "if".

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:03 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
As I said in the Offseason Plan Thread, at a reasonable price (say 1.5 mil at 2/3 years) I think he'd be a great addition until say a Frans Nielson/Jeremy Colliton/Tomas Marcinko (?) is ready to take over full-time 3rd line duties (b/c really that's where I see them long term).

Only red flag on Pecs is his health, but putting him in a reduced role might help in that dept.

But more importantly, this offseason I'd look for a Mike Peca-type of 3rd line center to alleviate responsibilities off of the aging Mike Sillinger. Such as PKing, faceoffs, top-line shadowing etc. Thus, we have a more energetic Mike Sillinger to go along with a reduced-role (and hopefully healthier) Mike Peca.

Ooohhh, the 'Mike and Mike Tandem' (ok, it was a half-assed attempt)!

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:32 PM
My friend

This is a VERY interesting topic. I wonder about the whole Ted Nolan angle. If Yashin is gone, I could see a phone call made to Peca on July 1st. I would only give him a 1 year deal at no more than $2 mil though.

Bates-Peca-Zednik 3rd line. Not enough size, and that's a lot of injury risk to have on your "Shutdown line".

Maybe if Nokie's ready, you play him on the right...Bates-Peca-Nokie. That's even MORE injury risk, but at least there's some physical play there.

Maybe Bates-Peca-Tamby. Speed and a nice shot, plus Tamby's a bit of a good luck charm for us.

I've got another one...Bates-Peca-Asham

Very intriguing.

My friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Didn't Peca almost sign here last year? I think he has an "Alexei Yashin" type friendship with Wang too, so I think he'd definitely be open to coming back....

Not sure it's a great idea though. Probably would end up just paying the guy a couple million to be on the DL.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

He and Yashin do not get along.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
TheBigBadCat

Please not Peca . I love this guy and I still have my Peca Jersey but he's not the same player . not even close

TheBigBadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I dont think Peca would want to come back to LI

sometimes you just have to let go and move on

i think his past relationship with nolan would help.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Bring back Stumpy Thomas!

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
haha I'd take Thomas or Hogue over Peca at this point. Breathe on the guy and he gets hurt.

Mike Sillinger does everything Peca does, imo.

Instead of bringing in retreads, put the money towards D depth and top shelf talent. The team already has too many bottom 6 players here and in the minors.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
great avatar!
Yeah, he's right, King Henry, that avatar is fantastic!!!!

05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I would love to have Thomas back but I think at this point he is a little overdue haha. How about bringing back Randy Wood for round 3?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
JKP

Are we going to have this conversation every year?

I said last year that he's got a big mouth and he's fragile. You can get over the big mouth, but's he's soooooo fragile now. He's never been the same since that Tucker hit. Move on.

I don't care how good some of you think he is, he can't score from a stretcher...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:20 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
I agree. He's not the same Peca he used to be, and seems really injury prone nowadays. In addition, we don't need more third line players, we need more top 2 line players.
well said

05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I agree. He's not the same Peca he used to be, and seems really injury prone nowadays. In addition, we don't need more third line players, we need more top 2 line players.
See Joe, I agree that the injuries are a big concern, but the notion that we don't need 3rd liners I disagree with. Third line wingers, we have a good collection and I'd say we're set, but who is our third line center? Unless we sign two top six centers (or keep Yashin and sign another top 6 center, though either way unlikely situation), Sillinger looks to be the 2nd or even 1st line center next year. Who does that leave? What other centers do we have who are defensively sound and win faceoffs? The closest we have to that is Bates, and how many minutes do you really want to see Bates getting? Maybe one of the kids are ready, but even then, I wouldn't mind seeing them first worked in as 4th line centers or third line wingers.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
See Joe, I agree that the injuries are a big concern, but the notion that we don't need 3rd liners I disagree with. Third line wingers, we have a good collection and I'd say we're set, but who is our third line center? Unless we sign two top six centers (or keep Yashin and sign another top 6 center, though either way unlikely situation), Sillinger looks to be the 2nd or even 1st line center next year. Who does that leave? What other centers do we have who are defensively sound and win faceoffs? The closest we have to that is Bates, and how many minutes do you really want to see Bates getting? Maybe one of the kids are ready, but even then, I wouldn't mind seeing them first worked in as 4th line centers or third line wingers.
Well, I agree with your analysis, Seph. But I was hoping we'd sign some higher end centers so that Sillinger would not have to be our de facto top C. But I don't disagree with anything you wrote, just saying a better solution is bringing in top 2 line talent rather than resigning ourselves to playing Silly higher than he probably should be. Still, I do get your point and agree in principle.

BTW, one thing I'm not sure has been mentioned -- what does Smyth think of Peca?

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Well, I agree with your analysis, Seph. But I was hoping we'd sign some higher end centers so that Sillinger would not have to be our de facto top C. But I don't disagree with anything you wrote, just saying a better solution is bringing in top 2 line talent rather than resigning ourselves to playing Silly higher than he probably should be. Still, I do get your point and agree in principle.

BTW, one thing I'm not sure has been mentioned -- what does Smyth think of Peca?
It does not matter what he thinks Unless he signs who cares.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I think Silly makes a better 2nd line center than he does a 3rd line center (though, I think we can all agree we'd rather see someone other than him or Yashin centering the top line). He's good defensively, he's a good scorer, but the thing about him is that he's never been good enough at either to be either a true shutdown center or a true scoring center, which is a lot of why he's moved around so much. But he's had 2 straight seasons of 25+ goals and 50+ points, which is about the scoring you expect of your second line, and he's better defensively than most 2nd liners. He's very very versatile, and that's where his value to us lies. If need be we can put him on a checking line, but I think a true shutdown C would be more of an upgrade over Silly on the third line than the vast majority of 2nd line centers that we could realistically get on top of the salary of Yashin/Yashin buyout + true 1st line center. Even if you aren't interested in bringing back Peca, and I can understand, bringing in someone like say, Wes Walz, I think would help the team.

Last edited by Seph: 05-04-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Felix the Cat

I feel the bigger question is....why is Peca going to sign here when everyone though he was wrapped up to come back to the Island last year and didn't?

or

Why are we harping on bringing in a guy whose career ended after Tucker destroyed his knee?

Also, didn't Peca have a problem with Nolan? Wasn't that part of his hold out? (I amy be 1000% wrong, don't kill me)

Felix the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Are we going to have this conversation every year?

I said last year that he's got a big mouth and he's fragile. You can get over the big mouth, but's he's soooooo fragile now. He's never been the same since that Tucker hit. Move on.

I don't care how good some of you think he is, he can't score from a stretcher...
Thats the whole point. Read the original post before you come here blowing off steam. HE WOULD NOT BE BROUGHT IN FOR HIS OFFENSE. Anything over 10-12 goals would be considered gravy. He would soley be here as a close down 3rd line center. Allowing the Islanders to use Sillinger in a more offensive role.

Remember back a couple seasons when Blake was used as a 3rd line shut down role. He was putting up 20 something goals a season. This year the Islanders had guys like Hunter and Hilbert to play that 3rd line role and kill penalties allowing more offensive time for Blake... The result 40 GOALS.

How about we bring in Peca at 1.5 - 2 million and allow Sillinger a more offensive role. Also, it wont hurt when your offensive guys can play in their own end as well.

However, rather than coming on here and saying that Peca cant score how about you come on here and suggest another 3rd line center / penalty killer that you are going to pick up for the same money.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Felix the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Thats the whole point. Read the original post before you come here blowing off steam. HE WOULD NOT BE BROUGHT IN FOR HIS OFFENSE. Anything over 10-12 goals would be considered gravy. He would soley be here as a close down 3rd line center. Allowing the Islanders to use Sillinger in a more offensive role.

Remember back a couple seasons when Blake was used as a 3rd line shut down role. He was putting up 20 something goals a season. This year the Islanders had guys like Hunter and Hilbert to play that 3rd line role and kill penalties allowing more offensive time for Blake... The result 40 GOALS.

How about we bring in Peca at 1.5 - 2 million and allow Sillinger a more offensive role. Also, it wont hurt when your offensive guys can play in their own end as well.

However, rather than coming on here and saying that Peca cant score how about you come on here and suggest another 3rd line center / penalty killer that you are going to pick up for the same money.
Don't we already have Sean Bates?

I loved Peca, and I undertsand the need for a good defensive 3rd line center, but we have a team with no speed. Why bring in another cog?

Felix the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLES81 View Post
..didn't Peca have a problem with Nolan? Wasn't that part of his hold out? (I amy be 1000% wrong, don't kill me)
You are a gazillion percent wrong and you may live.

Peca praised Nolan after the GM/Goalie fiasco in Buffalo. And Peca is one of Nolan's boys.

Peca is a playoff warrior. Last year he helped the Oilers win several postseason games on their run to the finals. It cannot hurt to add players like him. One Peca is worth three Yashins come playoff time.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
I wouldnt mind Seeing Pecca or Turgeron back on the Island for the third line, put Tambs or Bergy on the wing and perhaps Zednick or Asham whoever we have or even Bates-Pecca/Turgeron-Tambs and Put Nokie down on the 4th line to get him adjusted to the NHL, personally i think bringing in Pecca wouldnt be a bad thing so long as Yash is gone....hes more productive than Simon and will contribute more than Simon except for the intimidation factor which we really didnt see much with Chris out on the ice anyway...

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post

Relax and take a deep breath, Aucoin3.

I'm not sure what you're reading into my post that makes you think I'm blowing off any steam...

If it makes you feel better, he can't check from a stretcher or kill penalties from a stretcher either. (See the point I was trying to make here?)

He's a piece of glass now that is ready to be shattered.

(-ting!- there goes Peca's shoulder / knee / other fragile body part!)

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:48 PM
hgo

Don't put it past the Islanders to do it. They brought Chow back after letting him go.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote