HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Smyth rejects recent Islanders offer

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2007, 12:56 AM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
Smyth rejects recent Islanders offer

According to a local station in Edmonton, CTV, on the news tonight they mentioned Smyth just recently rejected a 7 year, 41M offer.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Report confirmed on the main boards by one of the Oilers mods, so I'm re-opening this thread.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Well, if it's true, this isn't exactly good news.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Or maybe he said, I'm rejecting it now but if/when you dump Yashin, I'm willing to talk again. And maybe that will be enough motivation for Wang to buy out his basketball buddy. That's what I'm clinging to, at least.

05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Personally, I find it a little odd that only a local station in Edmonton had this scoop. None of the national companies have jumped on it, so it kinda makes you question its veracity. But if it is in fact true, you're right, that doesn't bode well. Then again, maybe he's just waiting to see what direction this team takes over the next month or so. With so little details on anything, it's hard to really glean much from this.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Or maybe he said, I'm rejecting it now but if/when you dump Yashin, I'm willing to talk again. And maybe that will be enough motivation for Wang to buy out his basketball buddy. That's what I'm clinging to, at least.
I'm not saying that this isn't true but I have to wonder why no other media outlet has reported this. I wish we could see what was said on this station in Edmonton to see if it is being relayed on this site accurately. And if it is true, that's a very reasonable offer so we can't blame the Isles if he walks.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Thats 5.85/year. Forget it, hes gone. If he wont sign for that, he wont sign for 6 so now we are looking at 6.5 at LEAST. Isles are ****ed. No one want's to play here. ****** arena, ****** fans that don't show up and a circus front office.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Personally, I find it a little odd that only a local station in Edmonton had this scoop. None of the national companies have jumped on it, so it kinda makes you question its veracity. But if it is in fact true, you're right, that doesn't bode well. Then again, maybe he's just waiting to see what direction this team takes over the next month or so. With so little details on anything, it's hard to really glean much from this.
I gotta agree Seph. I find it suspicious that an Edmonton TV station is reporting this and not TSN, NHL or hell, a Long Island station where we kidna want to keep him in our fold for a very long time.

Until there's an official release by a media outlet, I'm gonna have to be skeptical

Old
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
HockeyKitten34

Im not really too worried yet...Hopefully this was just the first offer.. a good business sense is to never take the first deal they throw at you. Smyth knows they want him badly, hes probably just holding out. I just hope they dont get too desperate, that offer is already close to 6 million a year...

Old
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
jdr016

If true, ouch! Either he is really confident that he will get a better offer (which is hard to believe with those numbers) or he has no interest in playing on Long Island.

If he signs elsewhere. Hopefully, the Snowman won't do something dumb to save face. IE- Sign Paul Kariya.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Thats 5.85/year. Forget it, hes gone. If he wont sign for that, he wont sign for 6 so now we are looking at 6.5 at LEAST. Isles are ****ed. No one want's to play here. ****** arena, ****** fans that don't show up and a circus front office.
WOW. After the eyar that the Isles just had this is a little dramatic don't you think. We don't know if he doesn't want to play here...who knows. But if he doesn't want to play hear it could be for a number of reasons I wouldn't say the Isles are screwed and nobody wanst to sign here.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Or maybe he said, I'm rejecting it now but if/when you dump Yashin, I'm willing to talk again.
I don't buy that. I know it's been thrown around by the media a little, but IMO, that's just fan fantasy stuff.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
If true, ouch! Either he is really confident that he will get a better offer (which is hard to believe with those numbers) or he has no interest in playing on Long Island.
If he signs elsewhere. Hopefully, the Snowman won't do something dumb to save face. IE- Sign Paul Kariya.
You could have stopped there. No one wants to play here. It's like hockey hell. Face it guys, we are a lame duck team in the making.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
NoGoal9932

Maybe he doesn't want to be on the Islanders in 5-7 years (right now there future isn't exactly bright past the next few years). Some guys don't want to be obligated to be on a team for 7 years. Especially considering the lack of press coverage, the fact that he is Captain CANADA, and the fact that if we have a losing season our attendence is below 10k.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I gotta agree Seph. I find it suspicious that an Edmonton TV station is reporting this and not TSN, NHL or hell, a Long Island station where we kidna want to keep him in our fold for a very long time.

Until there's an official release by a media outlet, I'm gonna have to be skeptical
I agree. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

His agent might just want to float some numbers out there to get an idea of what the offers from other teams will be. If Smyth re-signs with the Islanders, it will be a couple of days before UFAs can talk to other teams.

Last edited by jdr016: 05-04-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
I still haven't seen any link or other report about this offer to Smyth guys. I wouldn't panic just yet because of this report, for whatever its worth. I believe it's still way too early for Smyth to really make a decision about staying or going. This kind of decision is not going to be made in only a couple weeks and I would certainly doubt Smyth to take the very 1st offer presented. Players have to be really careful and sure to be signing 6-7 year deals so let's not press the panic button just yet.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
sonnyisles

Quote:
You could have stopped there. No one wants to play here. It's like hockey hell. Face it guys, we are a lame duck team in the making.
Twine, you're going to give yourself a heart attack. Just because there is a report that ONE free agent MAYBE turned down the Isles INITIAL offer doesn't mean that no one wants to play here.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoal9932 View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to be on the Islanders in 5-7 years (right now there future isn't exactly bright past the next few years). Some guys don't want to be obligated to be on a team for 7 years. Especially considering the lack of press coverage, the fact that he is Captain CANADA, and the fact that if we have a losing season our attendence is below 10k.
At the age of 31, this is his last big payday. He will sign a contract with someone for 5 to 7 years.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Has Smyth come out or at least mentioned publicly that he wants Yashin gone?

Old
05-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyisles View Post
Twine, you're going to give yourself a heart attack. Just because there is a report that ONE free agent MAYBE turned down the Isles INITIAL offer doesn't mean that no one wants to play here.
If I were in the NHL, I'd rather play for a team with some exposure, passionate fans who actually fill the building, etc. Long Island is not attractive to a LARGE majority of the players out there, not just Smyth.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Nah. I don't think he'd ever do that. That would be a terrible thing to do.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Not in as many words but listen to his post game interview after the Isles got eliminated. That will tell you all you need to know.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
If I were in the NHL, I'd rather play for a team with some exposure, passionate fans who actually fill the building, etc. Long Island is not attractive to a LARGE majority of the players out there, not just Smyth.
There's really only about half a dozen teams that fit that description. Some players have to fill up the other 24 teams.

Granted, I could see players not liking playing in an old building or playing for a suburban team, but I doubt it's as big a deal as you think.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
sonnyisles

Quote:
I would tend to agree with that except for most players it comes down to the money. I think if the Isles go after any free agents Wang is fully prepared to open the checkbook if he really wants the guy. Plus, with Nolan as coach and all of the positives that came out of this past season I don't think that players around the league are all turned off about playing here. Lets face it Long Islnad is a great place to live. I'm just saying, even if Smyth doesn't sign here I don't think it would be time to jump off the bridge. Plus do you really want to have to pay for another keyboard?

Old
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
lazycop
F Theo Fleury

Jeez, if 7 for 41 mil ain't getting it done don't you think maybe, just maybe, he's gonna be overpriced?

Smyth's a good player and I'd love to have him but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Closed Thread