HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth rejects recent Islanders offer

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Tom Liodice

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
I just posted this over on the NHL board, but I think it also deserves posting here...

If anyone would've had the beat on a Smyth rejected offer, it would've been Newsday right here in Long Island. Newsday broke the Smyth trade, and I would think that they would have a beat on whether or not he rejected an offer, (edit) hencewhy I think this is just little ploy by Edmonton to get their fans excited...

Old
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyisles View Post
I would tend to agree with that except for most players it comes down to the money. I think if the Isles go after any free agents Wang is fully prepared to open the checkbook if he really wants the guy. Plus, with Nolan as coach and all of the positives that came out of this past season I don't think that players around the league are all turned off about playing here. Lets face it Long Islnad is a great place to live. I'm just saying, even if Smyth doesn't sign here I don't think it would be time to jump off the bridge. Plus do you really want to have to pay for another keyboard?
I need another job just to pay for keyboards!

Old
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
Jeez, if 7 for 41 mil ain't getting it done don't you think maybe, just maybe, he's gonna be overpriced?

Smyth's a good player and I'd love to have him but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.
This is the current market. It was set with Datsyuk. The cap is going up $3 or $4 million and if we don't give him that kind of money, Toronto, Philly, LA, or the Rangers will.

Drury, Gomez, Briere, and Smyth are all getting at least $6 million/per.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:56 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Jeez, if 7 for 41 mil ain't getting it done don't you think maybe, just maybe, he's gonna be overpriced?

Smyth's a good player and I'd love to have him but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

i agree. he is nowhere near worth 7 years for 41 mil either.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Fantom

Quote:

I would not sign him for 7 years 41M thats TO MUCH.
I would give him 5.85 for 5 years TOPS. Otherwise i let him go.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I would not sign him for 7 years 41M thats TO MUCH.
I would give him 5.85 for 5 years TOPS. Otherwise i let him go.
Awesome! It's going to be real fun in April battling Florida for 14th place!

Old
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
I know seriously. I'd rather spend a little more and WIN then be cheap and LOSE.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
dravid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I just posted this over on the NHL board, but I think it also deserves posting here...

If anyone would've had the beat on a Smyth rejected offer, it would've been Newsday right here in Long Island. Newsday broke the Smyth trade, and I would think that they would have a beat on whether or not he rejected an offer, (edit) hencewhy I think this is just little ploy by Edmonton to get their fans excited...
This wasn't a ploy by the edmonton media to get the fans excited, because the Oilers won't sign Smyth for 6M.

My first reaction was "he's not coming back for sure. Lowe said flat out he's not an elite player, and that he's not going to pay him elite money".

The only way he could come back is if he takes less money than Lowe's final offer, and I don't see that happening

Old
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
RWWallpaper

I love Smyth but I am not sure if he is worth 6.5-7 million per if that's what he's after. He is the PERFECT choice to step in here and be the leader of this team. Once Yashin is gone that is, but that's alot of money for 35 goals and "intangibles". I am not saying not to offer it but that's a big nut to crack every year for a guy who is as solid as they come but is not a "great" player.

P.S. I am also not for fumbling over people that do not really want to be here. Using money to keep a guy that's not thrilled with the prospect of playing here is NOT the way to go in my opinion. Losing Smyth would hurt for sure but SOMEONE else will be HAPPY take our 6 million per and become Islanders. I hope it's Ryan but if it's not...I won't be devastated.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravid View Post
This wasn't a ploy by the edmonton media to get the fans excited, because the Oilers won't sign Smyth for 6M.

My first reaction was "he's not coming back for sure. Lowe said flat out he's not an elite player, and that he's not going to pay him elite money".

The only way he could come back is if he takes less money than Lowe's final offer, and I don't see that happening
According to BobMckenzie, he spoke to Smyths agent who claimed they havent recieved an offer yet.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Fantom

Quote:
it very well may be. Smyth is not the only player that is a free agent
first off.
Second he wants to be paid like a elite player. NEWS FLASH Ryan smyth is not a ELITE hockey player. Do i want him back here, YES i would love him on our team. The fact is 7 years is to long of a deal.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Well, why else would Edmonton report it but to convey a message to the fans saying "Hey! Smyth just rejected an Islanders offer, maybe there's SOME hope he returns."

One would also think that TSN would JUMP on this story. But there's been nothing.

Newsday and Logan aren't saying anything now and they broke the Smyth trade.

I wouldnt think anything of it.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I love Smyth but I am not sure if he is worth 6.5-7 million per if that's what he's after. He is the PERFECT choice to step in here and be the leader of this team. Once Yashin is gone that is, but that's alot of money for 35 goals and "intangibles". I am not saying not to offer it but that's a big nut to crack every year for a guy who is as solid as they come but is not a "great" player.

P.S. I am also not for fumbling over people that do not really want to be here. Using money to keep a guy that's not thrilled with the prospect of playing here is NOT the way to go in my opinion. Losing Smyth would hurt for sure but SOMEONE else will be HAPPY take our 6 million per and become Islanders. I hope it's Ryan but if it's not...I won't be devastated.
I could not of sad it better myself.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
According to BobMckenzie, he spoke to Smyths agent who claimed they havent recieved an offer yet.
Just thought I'd let you know that BobMckenzie is the same Bob Mckenzie from TSN. Take it for what it's worth, because technically the info is coming from Meehan, and we all know agents are the most trust worthy, honest people.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
ibis284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
Well, why else would Edmonton report it but to convey a message to the fans saying "Hey! Smyth just rejected an Islanders offer, maybe there's SOME hope he returns."

One would also think that TSN would JUMP on this story. But there's been nothing.

Newsday and Logan aren't saying anything now and they broke the Smyth trade.

I wouldnt think anything of it.

trust me, people in edmonton who understand hockey do not want him back at 5M or over
Edit: for anything more than a couple years

Old
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
I just talked to Don Meehan, Smyth's agent, and related the information as it appears in this thread and he stated unequivocally for the record there has been no offer of that nature from the Islanders and that they will be sitting down with Garth Snow in the near future but there is no truth to the numbers being thrown about here. Totally inaccurate and false, was how he put it.
Yup, E_G. Here's Mckenzie's post from the main boards. And in case any of you were wondering if that really is Mckenzie, I was able to confirm that it is.

Now, is Meehan lying? Perhaps...but we have no way of knowing that!

05-04-2007, 11:19 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Yup, E_G. Here's Mckenzie's post from the main boards. And in case any of you were wondering if that really is Mckenzie, I was able to confirm that it is.

Now, is Meehan lying? Perhaps...but we have no way of knowing that!
End of thread via McKenzie smackdown!

Old
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I love Smyth but I am not sure if he is worth 6.5-7 million per if that's what he's after. He is the PERFECT choice to step in here and be the leader of this team.
See, I just don't really get this logic. You say he's a perfect fit and would be an ideal leader for this team.

But you're not willing to overpay a little to get him? That's precisely when you DO overpay. His value on the open market becomes irrelevent, because now it's about his value to the team. And his value to our team is pretty much immeasurable. I'm not saying give him the max, but yeah, I'm willing to overpay a little if that's what it takes.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

that is 100% correct. That is the real Bob M. He's posted official word things before over the years.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Felix the Cat

Everyone just relax. I asked about this before but researched it for the past hour and a half. Also, my buddy is in Edm on business for 6 months and stated it hasn't even been in the newspaper. This was SUPPOSEDLY on a local Edmonton tv channel. An analyst stated he has heard rumblings that Smyth turned down this deal, and said he "figured" thats what the money would be. Believe me i freaked before too. This is not on any site. Even f-ing Eukland doesn't have it up. he said people up there are still pissed he left, and are even more mad the Isles didn't go anywhere with him.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:32 AM
lazycop
ISLE BE DAMNED!

Quote:
This is the current market. It was set with Datsyuk. The cap is going up $3 or $4 million and if we don't give him that kind of money, Toronto, Philly, LA, or the Rangers will.
Drury, Gomez, Briere, and Smyth are all getting at least $6 million/per.
So let them. It's not the $$$ so much as the length. 7 yrs is too long for a 32(next season)year old at that kind of money. I'll give him $6.5 per for 5 years, tops, but I wouldn't go 7.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Felix the Cat

Where is TheGoon? I would take his word for it. He has hit the nail on the head 100% of the time

Old
05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLES81 View Post
Where is TheGoon? I would take his word for it. He has hit the nail on the head 100% of the time
If Meehan is denying it, then you be sure that Smyth doesn't want it out (if it is true, not saying it is). If that's the case TheGoon won't confirm it even if it did happen.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Bones45
I want my $2!

I think smyth is a great leader and has the work ethic which everyone wants, but I dont think he is worth the #'s is looking for.

the NHL is now a speed and fast moving game (at least relatively speaking)---He isnt a good skater and isnt a good shot. Hes not big and gets knocked down alot.

what exactly does he bring to the table?

work ethic and desire.

In my opinion.. not worth 5-8 mill a year.

Sorry.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:41 AM
dravid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLES81 View Post
probably out gallavanting with bergie on the streets of ny.

Closed Thread