HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Smyth rejects recent Islanders offer

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
NYIFan63

vCash: 500
Is this the same local Edmonton news channel that broke Smyth signed an 8 year deal? haha

Old
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
See, I just don't really get this logic. You say he's a perfect fit and would be an ideal leader for this team.

But you're not willing to overpay a little to get him? That's precisely when you DO overpay. His value on the open market becomes irrelevent, because now it's about his value to the team. And his value to our team is pretty much immeasurable. I'm not saying give him the max, but yeah, I'm willing to overpay a little if that's what it takes.
OVERPAY a little would be key. 6.5 is MORE then a little overpayment.anything over 5M is overpayment actually.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty94 View Post
Is this the same local Edmonton news channel that broke Smyth signed an 8 year deal? haha

Old
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
OVERPAY a little would be key. 6.5 is MORE then a little overpayment.anything over 5M is overpayment actually.
How is anything over 5m an overpayment? The guy is going to get offers for 5.5-6m on the open market easy. If it takes an extra 1m to do it, then do it. We can work around 1m.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Fantom

Quote:
How is anything over 5m an overpayment? The guy is going to get offers for 5.5-6m on the open market easy. If it takes an extra 1m to do it, then do it. We can work around 1m.
I could see maybe going to 6 tops. Not for seven years. i would do 5.2 for 7 year

Old
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
sonnyisles

Quote:
I agree. I don't know anything about the salary cap but if the Isles have the room this is the type of player I wouldn't mind overpaying for. He is a true leader and seems like the type you would want to build a franchise around. Especially with some of the young kids who should be coming up in the next couple of years. It didn't work out with Yashin but Smyth brings a much different package to the table than Yashin does. If we want the Isles to become a premier organization they might have to over pay for a leader like this so that when the truly skilled free agent is looking for a place to go it would give us a little extra credibility.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Isles72

Quote:
he will get 5.5-6.0 offers from other teams on july 1st but not for 7-8 years like the Wanger will likely pony up for

Old
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
I think smyth is a great leader and has the work ethic which everyone wants, but I dont think he is worth the #'s is looking for.

the NHL is now a speed and fast moving game (at least relatively speaking)---He isnt a good skater and isnt a good shot. Hes not big and gets knocked down alot.

what exactly does he bring to the table?

work ethic and desire.

In my opinion.. not worth 5-8 mill a year.

Sorry.
Nothing personal Bones, but I think that's a pertty narrow view. The NHL yes is geared more towards speed, but it will always be about skill and heart. Smyth has skill, he's no Kent Nilsson, but he certainly has plenty of skill. And there's absolutely no questioning his heart. He's shown over the past two years that while he may not be the prettiest or fastest skater, he can get around well enough to put up 35+ goals annually, be very good defensively, kill penalties, help the PP, and play well in every area of the ice. If a guy can do that, who cares about his inidividual talents? Haven't players like Yashin, Kozlov, Kvasha, etc taught us that an individual array of talents is ultimately far less important than the results you produce?

Old
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I could see maybe going to 6 tops. Not for seven years. i would do 5.2 for 7 year
Well, yeah, I'm not in love with the 7 year part, but it's Wang. He'll probably do something like that.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Titan124

I think it's wise to trust TV reports from the other side of the continent in a different country

Old
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Slats432

The report could very well be bunk.

But....

Smyth resides in Alberta (As far as I know) and has all his friends and family here, so discounting the source isn't reasonable.

The offer numbers don't seem right to me, even if there was an offer. It seems like too long a deal for a 31 year old guy. Would the Isles be willing to overpay Smyth by 2-3 million dollars on the last 2-3 years of the deal to get him for the first 4? I don't believe they would.

So my reasoning that the report is bunk is based on the numbers...not the source.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
The report could very well be bunk.

But....

Smyth resides in Alberta (As far as I know) and has all his friends and family here, so discounting the source isn't reasonable.

The offer numbers don't seem right to me, even if there was an offer. It seems like too long a deal for a 31 year old guy. Would the Isles be willing to overpay Smyth by 2-3 million dollars on the last 2-3 years of the deal to get him for the first 4? I don't believe they would.

So my reasoning that the report is bunk is based on the numbers...not the source.
Given the GM in question, I thought the numbers seemed pretty spot on. Dipietro until he's 40, Yashin until he's 37... Does Smyth until he's 39 really seem that unlikely?

Old
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Would the Isles be willing to overpay Smyth by 2-3 million dollars on the last 2-3 years of the deal to get him for the first 4? I don't believe they would.
Anything is possible on Long Island. Dont think for one second because it sounds crazy that its not possible for Wang to propose.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Slats432

Well, one thing to consider about Smyth, which is far different that Dipietro and Yashin.

Because of his type of game and how he gets continually physically punished, his ability to play at the top of his game will be eroded in 2-3 years. This was why everyone in Edmonton was hoping for a 4 year 5.25 million deal or in that area.

Once you get close to $6 million a season and 5 years and more, you won't see anyone in Edmonton feel like that is a decent deal for any team. And Oiler fans LOVE the guy.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Toomas

I'm curious how fans are coming up/figuring out what an NHL player's worth is. I find it interesting what some people think Smyth is worth...

As an example, this number of 5 million. Smyth WILL get paid more than 5 million, probably ALOT more than 5 million. IF 5 million WAS the number he'd be an oiler.

IMHO, going to close to 6 million. I don't think he'll avg 6 exactly, BUT IMO it will be close AND I DO think he'll be worth it.

Why? Believe it or not Yashin's contract has NOT been a huge obstacle, with the Cap going up every year, 5.8,.9 or even 6 won't hamper the Isles moving forward....beyond 6? I severely DOUBT Smyth/Meehan would even suggest a # beyond 6.

IMHO, the Oilers & Smyth were "close" in dollars, Smyth isn't going to blow-up that offer & then rip-off the Isles. I just don't see it.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Personally, I find it a little odd that only a local station in Edmonton had this scoop. None of the national companies have jumped on it, so it kinda makes you question its veracity.

Actually, it's a testament to how good the Hockey news reporters are in Edmonton.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
See, I just don't really get this logic. You say he's a perfect fit and would be an ideal leader for this team.

But you're not willing to overpay a little to get him? That's precisely when you DO overpay. His value on the open market becomes irrelevent, because now it's about his value to the team. And his value to our team is pretty much immeasurable. I'm not saying give him the max, but yeah, I'm willing to overpay a little if that's what it takes.

Seph, I think 5-6 million is ALREADY overpaying for what he brings to your team. 6.5-7 million per is REALLY a reach for Ryan Smyth. I am not saying I would not give him 6-6.5 million to retain him but I am not going to be forced to pay him 2 million more then he's WORTH just to keep him here. Like I said, if it takes that much for him to grace us with his presence then he can take a hike.

Either you want to be an Islander or you do not. I do not want him being held "hostage" here so to speak because he just cannot turn our offer down due to it being so much higher then anyone else's is. That is not good for either side. To overpay a little more then someone else I can live with. To have to BLOW HIM AWAY just to have him stay here is not something I am interested in doing.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Well, one thing to consider about Smyth, which is far different that Dipietro and Yashin.

Because of his type of game and how he gets continually physically punished, his ability to play at the top of his game will be eroded in 2-3 years. This was why everyone in Edmonton was hoping for a 4 year 5.25 million deal or in that area.

Once you get close to $6 million a season and 5 years and more, you won't see anyone in Edmonton feel like that is a decent deal for any team. And Oiler fans LOVE the guy.

Excellent point

Old
05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
If I were in the NHL, I'd rather play for a team with some exposure, passionate fans who actually fill the building, etc. Long Island is not attractive to a LARGE majority of the players out there, not just Smyth.
it funny because a certain backup goalie who used to play for your team believes that you need to hyponotize players into playing in a place with fan exposure.
I think your view does not apply to all players. all you need is a superstar on your team and all of a sudden your team becomes attractive to everyone. If smyth has to pick between NYR, PIT, PHI, CHI and NYI he'll certainly pick either PIT or NYR.. Its not because of the city or fans (or in edm's case weather).. its because of Jagr and Crosby.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
millax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I just posted this over on the NHL board, but I think it also deserves posting here...

If anyone would've had the beat on a Smyth rejected offer, it would've been Newsday right here in Long Island. Newsday broke the Smyth trade, and I would think that they would have a beat on whether or not he rejected an offer, (edit) hencewhy I think this is just little ploy by Edmonton to get their fans excited...
You have to understand that Ryan Smyth has lots of friends in the Edmonton media. There is a very good chance they will know about it before anyone else. Smyth lives in Edmonton.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Oilers trying to get fans to think we have a chance at getting him back. We don't want him for that much money. Ryan Smyth was a great Oiler, and I would love to have him back, but nobody thinks that if he doesn't sign with the Islanders that we will be getting him back.

Ryan Smyth will test the UFA market. He will see what is out there before making any decisions. This is his peak contract. This is what sets him up for life.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Given the GM in question, I thought the numbers seemed pretty spot on. Dipietro until he's 40, Yashin until he's 37... Does Smyth until he's 39 really seem that unlikely?
damn u.. u made me laugh out loud at work and now im getting THE look from ppl around me

ps>

Old
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Toomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Seph, I think 5-6 million is ALREADY overpaying for what he brings to your team. 6.5-7 million per is REALLY a reach for Ryan Smyth. I am not saying I would not give him 6-6.5 million to retain him but I am not going to be forced to pay him 2 million more then he's WORTH just to keep him here. Like I said, if it takes that much for him to grace us with his presence then he can take a hike.

Either you want to be an Islander or you do not. I do not want him being held "hostage" here so to speak because he just cannot turn our offer down due to it being so much higher then anyone else's is. That is not good for either side. To overpay a little more then someone else I can live with. To have to BLOW HIM AWAY just to have him stay here is not something I am interested in doing.
I TOTALLY agree w/your 2nd paragraph...in my mind, the Isles have to think team first. Ryan Smyth is a team guy, I just can't picture him holding the Isles hostage. I truly believe Smyth & the Isles will arrive at a fair number for BOTH sides.

The Isles will give a quality offer, then be prepared to go a little higher, at that point...to me it becomes simple...Hey Ryan, do you want to be an Islander or not? If it takes him more than a nanosecond to say yes, pull the offer off the table & say "Thanks for a wonderful 2 months"...& that's that. I LOVE Ryan Smyth. But c'mon, the Isles have to have pride too.

Last edited by Toomas: 05-04-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Thank you ryan smyth's head. Secondly no offense to the city of pitt why would anyone in their right mind want to live there.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Thank you ryan smyth's head. Secondly no offense to the city of pitt why would anyone in their right mind want to live there.
Um, no?

One of the main reasons I'll be going to school there is because of the city.

No offense, but speak for yourself.

Old
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Why does every internet message board ********* think they know what Ryan Smyth wants? McKenzie already called ******** on this rumor.

Closed Thread