HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marleau?

Old
05-04-2007, 09:19 AM
facts

vCash: 500
Marleau?

Obviously he is about as probable as acquiring Richards from Tampa, but this guy would be a great fit.
Young, fast strong wing or centre and would compliment Gagne AND Knuble. His defensive game is elite and I think we have the assests to acquire such a player, any thoughts?

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Not going to happen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
What UFAs do they have coming up in '08 besides Marleau and Thornton?

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:36 AM
facts

not sure but I don't see San Jose following the Tampa model and signing both. Thornton is going to get TOP money and with Cheechoo signed for a while as well, they may look at other assests and options.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
We'll see what happens next year, but I think Cheechoo will be the one to go and Thornton and Marleau stay.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:57 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We'll see what happens next year, but I think Cheechoo will be the one to go and Thornton and Marleau stay.
Just a guess but I think Thornton will get at least $8-9 a year and possibly/probably more depending on, among other things, PO success this year and next.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
What UFAs do they have coming up in '08 besides Marleau and Thornton?
McLaren is one.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:14 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Marleau is one of my favorite players and I'd love for him to become a Flyer.

That being said, no way it happens. SJ isn't a team that's about to trade its captain away.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:19 AM
BringBackStevens

The chances of SJ trading Marleau are far less than Tampa trading Richards

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
cheecho is signed for a long time and for pretty cheap considering his mumbers the last two years. I say they trade Marleau if they can get him to take less then he is worth.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
cheecho is signed for a long time and for pretty cheap considering his mumbers the last two years. I say they trade Marleau if they can get him to take less then he is worth.
I'd say they will trade Nabokov 1st.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Snydley Whiplash*

an elite defensive player??? even his own team doesn't think so
but then again, what do they know about hockey

Snydley Whiplash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
phlocky

SJS players slated to be UFA's after the 07/08 season:

Thorton (6.67 mil), Marleau (4.5 mil), Curtis Brown (0.70 mil), Patrick Rissmiller (0.595 mil), Toskala (1.375 mil)

SJS players slated to be RFA's after the 07/08 season:

Bernier (0.85 mil), Goc (0.80 mil), Michalek (0.942 mil), Pavelski (0.81 mil), Clowe (0.60 mil), Carle (0.942 mil), Erhoff (0.90 mil)

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Jester

SJ situation doesn't mirror what is going on in TB just yet at all.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
SJS players slated to be UFA's after the 07/08 season:

Thorton (6.67 mil), Marleau (4.5 mil), Curtis Brown (0.70 mil), Patrick Rissmiller (0.595 mil), Toskala (1.375 mil)

SJS players slated to be RFA's after the 07/08 season:

Bernier (0.85 mil), Goc (0.80 mil), Michalek (0.942 mil), Pavelski (0.81 mil), Clowe (0.60 mil), Carle (0.942 mil), Erhoff (0.90 mil)
Looks to me like Thornton will get ~2M more and Marleau ~2-3M more than they're currently playing for. Shouldn't be too hard for them to do, especially when they know what's coming and still have a year to plan for it.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Pipe dream. I'd prefer to hope they keep the captain and let Big Joe walk after next season. I'd gladly pay him $8-9 million if our first line centre position isn't filled this summer.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Obviously he is about as probable as acquiring Richards from Tampa, but this guy would be a great fit.
Young, fast strong wing or centre and would compliment Gagne AND Knuble. His defensive game is elite and I think we have the assests to acquire such a player, any thoughts?
I disagree w/ you. I think that Marleau will not be traded. The Sharks will be in contention once again for a stanley cup title next season. Why would they trade Marleau in the offseason? when he is one the key ingredients to that team?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Well, I'll take Marleau over Richards in a heartbeat.

He has a better overall game then Richards and to tell you the truth I would like to see him a FLyer uni over every other FA center we have mentioned in the last couple of months. The only problem is how much would we have to give up to get him.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 11:12 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Pipe dream. I'd prefer to hope they keep the captain and let Big Joe walk after next season. I'd gladly pay him $8-9 million if our first line centre position isn't filled this summer.
What he said.

Old
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I've been saying this for about a month now. Do not sign Briere, or Gomez or trade for B.Richards. Draft, draft this year with our 1st and Preds pick.

Sign players like Stumpel or Peca or Peter Forsberg (if he is still healthy) and give one year deals. Keep cap room for a possible trade during the season.

Continue to develop Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, Umberger, Coburn, Parent, Picard, Ruzicka, Downie etc etc etc. If there is an opportunity I'd rather trade for big Joe or Marleu then B.Richards.

Try to dump Hatcher in the end of next season, Sanderson will be gone, extra 5M right there.

Next year UFAs will be players like Iginla, big Joe, Hossa, Marleu etc etc etc, who knows maybe LeCavalier will be available if B.Richards NTC kicks in.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Next year UFAs will be players like Iginla, big Joe, Hossa, Marleu etc etc etc, who knows maybe LeCavalier will be available if B.Richards NTC kicks in.
So you would trade for Lecavalier next summer, pay a lot for him, and play him one year in Philadelphia before he becomes UFA. But it is a big deal to give a second for Biron.....

On the topic....the exact same point for Marleau, you have to pay big time to get him and he becomes UFA next summer. There is no certainty he will re-sign here.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
About a 99% chance that Iginla, Joe T., Hossa, and Marleau won't get near the UFA market.

Vinny will not have the same pressure being applied as Richards (no NTC forcing Feaster to act quickly) so he will cost an arm and a leg. Not only that, we don't have the goaltender prospect to use in the deal... which other teams will. Montreal, Vancouver, and NYR should all be lightyears ahead of us in that negotiation.

Playing the probabilities for those players is a really, really bad proposition. Holmgren should make any deal for a viable top-end center that he can this year and not bank on a whole slew of maybes going forward... that's how you end up standing when the music stops.

Old
05-05-2007, 02:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
About a 99% chance that Iginla, Joe T., Hossa, and Marleau won't get near the UFA market.
I don't know about that. I think there's a very good chance that Hossa might make it to the UFA market. The only one on there who I don't think will make it will be Iginla because he's already said he wants to get a deal done with Calgary asap.

I'm more interested in what will take place in Ottawa because both Heatley and Spezza will be UFAs after next season and they're both due for big raises. Only one will get one and the other will more than likely walk. If Ottawa signs Heatley, then I'd love to see Homer open the bank for Spezza because I think he's a number one guy and he's young. Could you picture him centering a line with Gagne and Knuble? It could be something else to watch.

However, I've got a gut feeling that they're going to blow the bank this year and try to spend, spend, spend on free agents. I hope they don't go stir crazy, but I've got this gut feeling that says otherwise.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't know about that. I think there's a very good chance that Hossa might make it to the UFA market. The only one on there who I don't think will make it will be Iginla because he's already said he wants to get a deal done with Calgary asap.

I'm more interested in what will take place in Ottawa because both Heatley and Spezza will be UFAs after next season and they're both due for big raises. Only one will get one and the other will more than likely walk. If Ottawa signs Heatley, then I'd love to see Homer open the bank for Spezza because I think he's a number one guy and he's young. Could you picture him centering a line with Gagne and Knuble? It could be something else to watch.

However, I've got a gut feeling that they're going to blow the bank this year and try to spend, spend, spend on free agents. I hope they don't go stir crazy, but I've got this gut feeling that says otherwise.
Hossa is a good enough all around player to make it work with Ilya down there financially for the two to have big contracts...

As long as teams aren't idiotic, they shouldn't just flat out lose players... which is what is being suggested that we bank on if you really want to look to get those players in a year or two. Might they make the market? sure, they MIGHT. However, if you bank on that you might find yourself pissin in the wind on July 1st, 2008.

Old
05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hossa is a good enough all around player to make it work with Ilya down there financially for the two to have big contracts...

As long as teams aren't idiotic, they shouldn't just flat out lose players... which is what is being suggested that we bank on if you really want to look to get those players in a year or two. Might they make the market? sure, they MIGHT. However, if you bank on that you might find yourself pissin in the wind on July 1st, 2008.
True, but the flip side to that is that you know that there's going to be talent available on July 1, 2008. There's no other way around it. With that being said, I agree that the Flyers just can't sit on their hands and wait. We've got payroll flexibility, we have a high draft pick, and we've got some very good prospects, so I wouldn't mind seeing a deal come together if we can land a young first line center that will be around for the next 10 to 15 years. I know, good luck in finding one, but I'm sure that there's going to be at least one, two, three, maybe four teams that we can pillage.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote