HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Marleau?

Old
05-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
That assumes the player acquired wants to resign for a long time. Unlike an UFA, the player isn't choosing to play for the team that gets him, so he can just leave and go anywhere he wants in a year or so. Especially with Richards... Flyers fans say that Homer needs to trade for him before his NTC kicks in, but if he isn't willing to waive it to play for the Flyers, it's likely he won't want to resign with them.

And again... it's possible that the young players will step up, but if this season is any indication, that shouldn't be a factor the equation (or, at least not a strong one). The Flyers aren't the Penguins... they don't have elite young players like Crosby and Fleury that allow them to make a big jump from bottom feeder to cup contender. Philly has a number of good young players with high potential but unclear futures.
he's signed for the next 4 years... even if he doesn't want to re-sign here, you'd have Brad Richards for 4 seasons before you had to worry about it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
he's signed for the next 4 years... even if he doesn't want to re-sign here, you'd have Brad Richards for 4 seasons before you had to worry about it.
I should do better research

I still think trading for a #1 centers before testing the FA market is a bad move, especially considering the number of them this offseason and the price it will take to get Richards. Unless Tampa gets desperate in trying to unload salary and the asking price plummets (which is very doubtful), I don't see a deal making sense.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

I still think trading for a #1 centers before testing the FA market is a bad move, especially considering the number of them this offseason and the price it will take to get Richards. Unless Tampa gets desperate in trying to unload salary and the asking price plummets (which is very doubtful), I don't see a deal making sense.
Here is what the plan should be... IMO of course:

1. Try to trade for Brad Richards, if he is available.

2. Throw the second overall at tampa along w/ a few roster players (Picard/Gauthier/Hatcher + Umberger/Potulny/Ruzicka/Richards).

3. If we don't get him, no big deal. Draft JVR/Turris/Kane/Cherepanov and wait for free agency to nab a no.1 center.

However, if we do get him here is exactly what we should do in FA... IMO:

1. get 2 dmen (plan to spend 10 mil between the two)
2. get a new 2nd line lw (plan to spend 3-4 mil)
3. (if we still have enough money) new 4th/3rd line forward (plan to spend 1.5 mil max)

Guys I would specifically target:

1. Timonen, Preissing, A.Markov, D.Markov, Schneider, Hannan
2. Hartnell, S.Kozlov
3. W.Primeau, I.Laperriere, Laraque

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post

2. Throw the second overall at tampa along w/ a few roster players (Picard/Gauthier/Hatcher + Umberger/Potulny/Ruzicka/Richards).
Throw in the 2nd overall? Wrong. That is the complete opposite of what this team is trying to accomplish.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:40 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Here is what the plan should be... IMO of course:

1. Try to trade for Brad Richards, if he is available.

3. If we don't get him, no big deal. Draft JVR/Turris/Kane/Cherepanov and wait for free agency to nab a no.1 center.

However, if we do get him here is exactly what we should do in FA... IMO:

1. get 2 dmen (plan to spend 10 mil between the two)
2. get a new 2nd line lw (plan to spend 3-4 mil)
3. (if we still have enough money) new 4th/3rd line forward (plan to spend 1.5 mil max)

Guys I would specifically target:

1. Timonen, Preissing, A.Markov, D.Markov, Schneider, Hannan
2. Hartnell, S.Kozlov
3. W.Primeau, I.Laperriere, Laraque
WHAT!?!?!? The guy is primed to become heart and soul of this team for the next ten years. Any of those other guys are fair game in such a trade, but I don't give up Richards for Richards when there are other avenues we can take.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Jester

Quote:

IF Tampa decides to trade Richards it's going to happen fast and they're going to be under a lot of pressure to get that deal done, because his NTC is kicking in July 1st. IF they decide to make that deal it's going to be from a position of weakness due to the NTC (as opposed to maybe trading Vinny, which they could do from a position of strength given his lack of a NTC).

That means that teams will have a lever on Feaster in any negotiations if that starts to happen. The price, of course, will be steep for a player that good... however, teams are agreeing to take on a HUGE cap hit, which Feaster will have admitted he needs to get out from, that will lower the cost slightly... especially given there are only so many teams that have the space to accept a 7.8M hit.

Old
05-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Throw in the 2nd overall? Wrong. That is the complete opposite of what this team is trying to accomplish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
WHAT!?!?!? The guy is primed to become heart and soul of this team for the next ten years. Any of those other guys are fair game in such a trade, but I don't give up Richards for Richards when there are other avenues we can take.
You want to make an omelet, you are going to have to break some eggs. You can't seriously expect to add Brad Richards for nothing, we are going to have to part w/ something of value to get him.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 07:30 AM
phlocky

Quote:
You want to make an omelet, you are going to have to break some eggs. You can't seriously expect to add Brad Richards for nothing, we are going to have to part w/ something of value to get him.
If we give up Mike Richards there is no way we have to give up the #2 pick too. one of the two, along with other picks/lesser players would be enough. You could probably do the Nash pick, M Richards & Picards for B Richards or #2 plus Ruzicka & Jones.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
IF Tampa decides to trade Richards it's going to happen fast and they're going to be under a lot of pressure to get that deal done, because his NTC is kicking in July 1st. IF they decide to make that deal it's going to be from a position of weakness due to the NTC (as opposed to maybe trading Vinny, which they could do from a position of strength given his lack of a NTC).

That means that teams will have a lever on Feaster in any negotiations if that starts to happen. The price, of course, will be steep for a player that good... however, teams are agreeing to take on a HUGE cap hit, which Feaster will have admitted he needs to get out from, that will lower the cost slightly... especially given there are only so many teams that have the space to accept a 7.8M hit.
If that's the case, no deal will ever happen. Teams will want to try their luck in the free agency in the offseason before giving up assets to fill holes; it just makes sense. Even if he feels under pressure, there's no way he lowers the price of Richards to a level where teams are willing to pay before July 1st.

Old
05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
If that's the case, no deal will ever happen. Teams will want to try their luck in the free agency in the offseason before giving up assets to fill holes; it just makes sense. Even if he feels under pressure, there's no way he lowers the price of Richards to a level where teams are willing to pay before July 1st.
you're missing the point... if Feaster actually makes the decision that he needs to trade Richards... then he NEEDS to trade Richards. you don't trade a player that good unless you feel you have to. only way that deal happens is if Feaster reaches the conclusion that he needs to make a deal.

is he going to let it linger and hope that some UFAs sign so that he has more leverage? absolutely... if Briere and Gomez, for example, both re-signed prior to then... it would help him a ton. however, as you note, the very fact that teams capable of saying "screw you, i'm gonna take my chances on the UFA market" is leverage against Feaster.

look, he's not going to WANT to trade Richards... it will be because of money and necessity. if he's reached the decision that the money isn't working in Tampa... after the NTC, his next option is dealing Vinny... if he's reached the point where money isn't workable, he needs to choose between Richards and Vinny prior to July 1st.

that's not a strong negotiating position.

Old
05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Shoeny

For those who do not get ESPN Insider here's a new rumor as of today. I went on Detroit News and could not find the real article but if someone can please paraphrase.

Shark tales
May 14 - Can Sharks coach Ron Wilson survive another disappointing playoff ouster?

After his team was eliminated in six games by the Red Wings in the second round, speculation automatically started that Wilson's time with the Sharks has run out.

The Boston Globe said the Sharks "will seriously consider firing" Wilson, "whose divide-and-conquer routine behind the bench left his team splintered and captain Patrick Marleau shattered."

Answering the San Jose Mercury News about whether he planned to be back, Wilson said, "As far as I know, yeah."

The Detroit News, however, spun the rumors toward the players. The News said the Sharks "could be looking to trade" Marleau and either G Evgeni Nabokov or G Vesa Toskala.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
you're missing the point... if Feaster actually makes the decision that he needs to trade Richards... then he NEEDS to trade Richards. you don't trade a player that good unless you feel you have to. only way that deal happens is if Feaster reaches the conclusion that he needs to make a deal.

is he going to let it linger and hope that some UFAs sign so that he has more leverage? absolutely... if Briere and Gomez, for example, both re-signed prior to then... it would help him a ton. however, as you note, the very fact that teams capable of saying "screw you, i'm gonna take my chances on the UFA market" is leverage against Feaster.

look, he's not going to WANT to trade Richards... it will be because of money and necessity. if he's reached the decision that the money isn't working in Tampa... after the NTC, his next option is dealing Vinny... if he's reached the point where money isn't workable, he needs to choose between Richards and Vinny prior to July 1st.

that's not a strong negotiating position.
Feaster doesn't "need" to trade anybody. He may want to exchange him for more favorable cap value, but he won't be forced in any way to deal one of the big three this year. Looking at their cap situation, they don't really have any big raises this year, so they can afford the status quo and a replacement for Fedotenko. From a financial standpoint, I don't buy that the team will lower its salary a whole lot. Not only does profit sharing help stuggling teams, but Tampa has an established fan base that pays out. If Phoenix can spend $40+, so can Tampa.

And again, it makes the least amount of sense to deal him at the draft, when the demand for him is at the lowest point.

Old
05-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Feaster doesn't "need" to trade anybody. He may want to exchange him for more favorable cap value, but he won't be forced in any way to deal one of the big three this year. Looking at their cap situation, they don't really have any big raises this year, so they can afford the status quo and a replacement for Fedotenko. From a financial standpoint, I don't buy that the team will lower its salary a whole lot. Not only does profit sharing help stuggling teams, but Tampa has an established fan base that pays out. If Phoenix can spend $40+, so can Tampa.

And again, it makes the least amount of sense to deal him at the draft, when the demand for him is at the lowest point.
he can't trade him after July 1st... the draft is the most likely time to trade him so that he can pick up picks and then use them as he wants.

Feaster doesn't need to, but if he's actually fishing with Richards it's because he has decided he needs to, and that's the point. you don't go down that path unless you've made the decision that it's the path you're going to go with... Richards is simply too good.