HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Free Agents

Old
05-04-2007, 11:03 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Potential Free Agents

Unfortunately, we are already talking about next season. Some interesting roster thoughts…

If ownership keeps Yashin, I think Smyth and Blake will bolt, and I think it will be difficult to draw prime free agents here.

If by some miracle, Blake and Smyth decided to stay, I think possibly they could add one new "name" free agent. But I doubt it.

But, with a Yashin buyout, here is what I would be interested in seeing.

Centers:
Chris Drury (I think a $5.5 per year deal could bring him here)
Dianus Zubris (perhaps $3.25 per year)
Mike Sillinger
Richard Park (I like the guy. He plays with grit and determination)

Left Wing:
Ryan Smyth (Im not sure about the other report, but $5.65 over 5 years should get this done with Yashin out and the Captain's C)
Scott Hartnell (Take a look if you havent. $2.85 4 year deal)
Taylor Pyatt (Breakout year, big, solid 3rd line. $2.75 4 year deal)
Jeff Tambellini

Right Wing
Miro Satan
Blake Comeau (I think he deserves a shot)
Trent Hunter (restricted so we should be able to get him for $1.25)
Arron Asham (trick because he is UFA, but he should be available at $1.25. He adds toughness and will be a good 3rd-4th liner)

Defense:
Brendan Witt
MA Bergeron
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais (restricted-$600K)
Chris Campoli (restricted-$475K)
Tom Poti (I would keep him. His reach, size and assists are a huge assett $3.0 for 2 years)

DiPietro
Dublewicz (800K ought to get this done)

All of this comes to $47.728 million. with the cap looking like $48-$49 million we would still have some room to play. Freddy Meyer, Alan Rourke are d-men in the AHL.

I also took Bates out. At $1.2 million, he is too expensive. Perhaps he could be in the AHL or moved for a pick. he is a good PK guy, and has speed, but its a lot of money for a 4th liner who is oft injured.

I am suggesting fairly solid additions in Drury, Zubris, Pyatt and Harnell.

Blake is a tough pill I know, but with his age and cap space, I don't think they can keep Smyth and Blake. Pyatt and Hartnell more then cover it.

let the arguments begin!

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Unfortunately, we are already talking about next season. Some interesting roster thoughts…

If ownership keeps Yashin, I think Smyth and Blake will bolt, and I think it will be difficult to draw prime free agents here.

If by some miracle, Blake and Smyth decided to stay, I think possibly they could add one new "name" free agent. But I doubt it.

Centers:
Mike Sillinger

Left Wing:
Ryan Smyth (Im not sure about the other report, but $5.65 over 5 years should get this done with Yashin out and the Captain's C)
Jeff Tambellini

Right Wing
Miro Satan
Arron Asham (trick because he is UFA, but he should be available at $1.25. He adds toughness and will be a good 3rd-4th liner)

Defense:
Brendan Witt
MA Bergeron
Radek Martinek
Tom Poti (I would keep him. His reach, size and assists are a huge assett $3.0 for 2 years)

DiPietro

All of this comes to $47.728 million. with the cap looking like $48-$49 million we would still have some room to play. Freddy Meyer, Alan Rourke are d-men in the AHL.

I also took Bates out. At $1.2 million, he is too expensive. Perhaps he could be in the AHL or moved for a pick. he is a good PK guy, and has speed, but its a lot of money for a 4th liner who is oft injured.

Blake is a tough pill I know, but with his age and cap space, I don't think they can keep Smyth and Blake. Pyatt and Hartnell more then cover it.

let the arguments begin!
THats way to close to cap.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
E_Godard

You forgot Bergenheim

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
NYIschremp44

Quote:

Defense:
Brendan Witt
MA Bergeron
Radek Martinek
uhhh...hate to burst your bubble but in this "fantasy" GM world where you built yourself this dream team up front, you gave them a hypothetical defense that no NHL GM would be willing to send out on their blueline....oh wait....

NYIschremp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
uhhh...hate to burst your bubble but in this "fantasy" GM world where you built yourself this dream team up front, you gave them a hypothetical defense that no NHL GM would be willing to send out on their blueline....oh wait....
I agree the defense looks a bit thin on the surface.
However, I think you are not giving enough credit to Gervais and Campoli or Martinek or for that matter Poti.

I know there is no "star" on defense, but who would you sacrifice up front for a "name" blueliner and who on the blue line would be out?

Old
05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
You forgot Bergenheim
You're right....I did. Perhaps he takes Park's place. Perhaps we don't add Zubris in that scenario and try to go after a "name" defenceman, as was previously mention. Again though, who out of the list goes on the blueline?

Old
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
NYIschremp44

i think you're heading in the right direction (i.e. buffalo) by signing Hartnell and Pyatt, both are young players on the rise (possibly--pyatt may have just been a result of the sedin twins) that you could potentially sign for less than their eventual worth. Zubrus---not so much. I believe Rostislav Klesla is a FA?
There's no way Drury comes here.

NYIschremp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
i think you're heading in the right direction (i.e. buffalo) by signing Hartnell and Pyatt, both are young players on the rise (possibly--pyatt may have just been a result of the sedin twins) that you could potentially sign for less than their eventual worth. Zubrus---not so much. I believe Rostislav Klesla is a FA?
I think Drury or anyother UFA would sign here if Yashin were gone, and Smyth were signed.

If Smyth is locked in before July 1, then together with Nolan, and DiPietro, I think this would be an attractive option...all for the right price of course.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
There's a way. But it'll cost a lot more than 5.5m/year. I think a number of teams will offer him at least 6m/year this summer, unless he takes a discount to play for Buffalo or Colorado. So to entice him, we'd be looking more at 6.5-7m, at least.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Smyth // Drury // Sellanne
Kariya // Briere // Bertuzzi
Blake // Sillinger // Guerin
Fedotenko // Gomez // O'Neill

Stuart // A. Markov
Witt // Souray
Preissing // Sarich

DiPietro // Backstrom

Draft: Gagner, Kane, VanRiemsdyk, Hamill, Couture, Petricki

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Drury will get more than 5.5
Hartnell will get more than 2.85
Zubrus at 3.5 is way too much
Pyatt at 2.85 is way too much
Asham at 1.25 is too much
Trent at 1.25 is not nearly enough.

I don't mind the D as much as others do. I'd love for a legitimate 1st pairing d-man to be brought in, but it'd take 2m more a season than what the Isles can legitimately pay for Poti.

Our problem was not having any creativity at center and a lack of skill on the top 2 lines...our defense was ranked in the top 10 till the last month of the season...all done relying on "non-new NHL" defenseman like Witt, Hill and Poti.

I'm thinking that there's going to be players like Scott Walker, Michael Handzsus, Patrik Stefan, Petr Sykora, Todd White, Ossi Vaananen, Vitaly Vishnevski, Mike Comrie brought in...as I don't see Wang's golfing buddy being bought out.

Those are all high-risk, (possible) hi-return players that shouldn't upset our cap, especially since several of them fit the Nolan-type label we've all used ad nauseum.

My hope if Blake and Smyth both bolt and Yashin returns is that Walker, White, Comrie are all courted hard for the forward positions and one of Vaananen or Vishnevksi is signed...along with bringing up Bergenheim and one other Bridge/Euro forward.

I do know one thing....whatever the lineup looks like on paper I'm not going to be too disappointed. We were picked for 30th this year and made the playoffs...can't be letting TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, etc publications get to me with their predictions as they're wrong more often than they're right.

Quote:

Centers:
Mike Sillinger

Left Wing:
Jeff Tambellini

Right Wing
Miro Satan

Defense:
Brendan Witt
MA Bergeron
Radek Martinek

DiPietro

let the arguments begin!

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
For The Win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

Stuart // A. Markov
Witt // Souray
Preissing // Sarich

DiPietro // Backstrom

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

Stuart // A. Markov
Witt // Souray
Preissing // Sarich

DiPietro // Backstrom

That's just ridiculous and preposterous, why the hell would we take Petrecki over Alzner? Try again.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
You're right....I did. Perhaps he takes Park's place. Perhaps we don't add Zubris in that scenario and try to go after a "name" defenceman, as was previously mention. Again though, who out of the list goes on the blueline?
Take Park's place? Bergie is potential 2nd line material, not 4th line.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
In order to sign Smyth and any other top UFA like Gomez or Drury the Isles will probably have to offer a longer term deal than other teams are willing to offer.

Players and their agents know that once they hit age 35 teams will be reluctant to sign any player for more than 1 year because of the over-35 rule (where a player's contract counts against the cap no matter what, even if they retire, if it is signed after they hit 35).

For that reason the key to signing Smyth will certainly be the number of years offered. I think the Isles can seal the deal by making it a 7 year contract, the questions being how much per year and is this a good idea. They can front-load the contract to make Smyth more appealing to Edmonton if his skills do erode and the Isles want to trade him there near the end of his contract (by front-loading, the Isles will pay more of the contract up front leaving Edmonton a lower payout if Smyth comes home to play on the 3rd line in 5 years).

While Gomez might be enticed by a long-term deal, it would have to be very long since he's only 27. Like 10 years long. Which I'd consider because I can see Gomez being an effective player in his late 30s. Playmakers can last longer because they just get smarter and the puck does a lot of the work for them.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Zubrus and Bergenhiem on the same line would be powerful! how much do you think we should offer him if we were to offer him anything, size speed and strengh are all assests of his, i would love to get ahold of him and Hannan and iw ould be very very ahppy,

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:

Stuart // A. Markov
Witt // Souray
Preissing // Sarich

DiPietro // Backstrom

There's no possible way all those players sign here, sorry.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value View Post
Drury will get more than 5.5
Hartnell will get more than 2.85
Zubrus at 3.5 is way too much
Pyatt at 2.85 is way too much
Asham at 1.25 is too much
Trent at 1.25 is not nearly enough.

I don't mind the D as much as others do. I'd love for a legitimate 1st pairing d-man to be brought in, but it'd take 2m more a season than what the Isles can legitimately pay for Poti.

Our problem was not having any creativity at center and a lack of skill on the top 2 lines...our defense was ranked in the top 10 till the last month of the season...all done relying on "non-new NHL" defenseman like Witt, Hill and Poti.

I'm thinking that there's going to be players like Scott Walker, Michael Handzsus, Patrik Stefan, Petr Sykora, Todd White, Ossi Vaananen, Vitaly Vishnevski, Mike Comrie brought in...as I don't see Wang's golfing buddy being bought out.

Those are all high-risk, (possible) hi-return players that shouldn't upset our cap, especially since several of them fit the Nolan-type label we've all used ad nauseum.

My hope if Blake and Smyth both bolt and Yashin returns is that Walker, White, Comrie are all courted hard for the forward positions and one of Vaananen or Vishnevksi is signed...along with bringing up Bergenheim and one other Bridge/Euro forward.

I do know one thing....whatever the lineup looks like on paper I'm not going to be too disappointed. We were picked for 30th this year and made the playoffs...can't be letting TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, etc publications get to me with their predictions as they're wrong more often than they're right.
Keep in mind I am guesstimating my numbers based on what they made last season, and where their performances are, and how the market seems to be moving.

You might be right that Drury would take more money then $5.5.
Hartnell might also require a bit more.

But if Pyatt, Asham and Zubris all could be had for less, then go for it. It would still work out.

Old
05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Fine... replace Gomez with Forsberg.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Erroneous!

05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
NYYmt62

I like your idea... I think it would be a solid team with the right attitude. I just don't see it happening though. I just don't think the money will work out and I don't think all of those players will be interested in coming to the island.

My biggest wish for the team is I would like to see them make some changes on the blueline. I think the best thing to do would be to try and deal Martinek, possibly for a third liner or a draft pick and go after someone more physical and more reliable, possibly Stuart.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote