HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

back pain while skating

Old
05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
PensBeerGeek

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
back pain while skating

I started playing hockey last December (and skating in September). (27 then, 28 now, if it matters) One of the major problems is that my lower back goes out on me when I skate for any length of time.

A game doesn't particularly bother me that much unless doing something like swapping with only one other winger, but in a practice situation, it flares up fairly quickly to the point I can barely stand up straight. The thing is that I sit down and the pain goes away, but once I continue it flares back up. (Ohh, I wear a back brace out on the ice, and while it's helped, it still has a tendency to happen a bit)

Any advice on how I can a) deal with it on the ice when it happens, and b) make this go away?

PensBeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
frito

Hit the gym and work on your core muscles, abs, side abs and lower back. Your core drives most everything and needs to be strong. Also work on building your leg strength, quads and hamstrings.

Make sure you warm up properly before you hit the ice. If you just jump right on and go at it full speed without warming up you will feel some pain. Make sure you stretch out after skating as well. Tight hamstrings will pull on your back and cause lower back pain.

Good luck.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:58 PM
NHL Rules NBA Sux
Watcha gonna do!!!!

I have this same exact problem so I can empathize what you're going through. What I do, is make sure to play nice short shifts, and to keep myself hydrated. I've noticed when I do this, my back cramps seem to be at a minimum

NHL Rules NBA Sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Keetz

The brace might be making it worse because your mucles get lazy with the added support.
Try bending your legs a bit more concentrate having your shoulders back straighten your back but keep your knees bent over your toes. being bent over too far forward is hard on the back. heads up shoulders back knees over the toes. should help[ in a week or two.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Bend at the knees, not at the back.

05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
JR#9*

It probaly hurts more in practice because you bend more when you carry the puck and you carry the puck more than in a game.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Free Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Hit the gym and work on your core muscles, abs, side abs and lower back. Your core drives most everything and needs to be strong. Also work on building your leg strength, quads and hamstrings.

Make sure you warm up properly before you hit the ice. If you just jump right on and go at it full speed without warming up you will feel some pain. Make sure you stretch out after skating as well. Tight hamstrings will pull on your back and cause lower back pain.

Good luck.
I will second this advise, 10 years of dealing with a cracked vertabrae and 2 bulging disks I'm still playing and coaching the kids. Numerous trips to physical therapy and they always work on stretching hamstrings, lots of work with the excersise ball, and any core strengthening activities. There is a great book out there that is called something like " 8 keys to a pain free life" or something like that that goes into detail of te key excersises.

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 09:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Agreed, back pain usually means an improper stride. Make sure to keep the knees bent and the legs going, and try to keep your back still (er)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
brother52

I had the same problem when I just started playing "proper" hockey (before 31 I only played on a pond as a child.) In my experience, it was a pure muscule strength issue. It just got better after some practice time, and after I started doing barbell excercises for lower back it's gone completely. I'd even say it's a good thing because it means you're sitting low and leaning forward, which is the correct way. I see a lot of guys in our beer league that skate with their back straight, and the result is no speed and no balance.

brother52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Work on your hamstrings and your abs. I think when we all start playing hockey you get a sore back because you're building up those muscles. And make sure you stretch out every day and night regardless of whether or not you're playing hockey. If the pain doesn't go away I would see a chiropractor and a personal trainer to help you develop core muscles for explosiveness. You might also want to check what you're eating pre and post game. You may not be eating enough protein to build muscle. None of us are in the NHL but if you watch what you eat you'll be in better shape than the guy who's eating fast food before and after games.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Bend at the knees, not at the back.
That's the first thing I thought of too. For someone who's still somewhat of a beginner. I'd wager that's the problem.

Working your core muscles is never a bad thing, so don't ignore that tip.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
His stick might be too short also.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I usually never get backpain while in game, but I was at open hockey a few nights ago and it was torture. Being on the ice (in a studio rink where the ice is like a pond) for a couple of hours without getting more than an occasional 3 - 5 break is torture. 3 on 3 with 8 people means only 1 sub, do the math.

Anyway, my back was in so much pain, I had never felt that kind of pain. Like I've really hard played in games until the point where my legs were about to give out and then I'd get off the ice and then go right back out for my next shift, but the pain I felt in my back was just excruciating. Then again, I haven't been to the gym in a while.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Rem
this face

Like most said, work out your back, bend your knees, make sure your stick length is correct.

I had the same issue when I started last year, but over the course of a few months it slowly went away. I don't do any workouts outside of hockey, at least not regularly (although I used to be very fit, so I still have a lot of strength left).

Over time it will go away, once your skating and balance improves you won't be putting a lot of stress on your lower back to help yourself stay on your skates.

btw, I was 25 when I started, 26 now - if age matters at all...

Edit: I had to edit my age because I ********** forgot how old I was ... LOL

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote