HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie epitath

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2003, 12:42 PM
  #1
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Comrie epitath

I am new to posting on this board. However, I am a long time fan, and come on here daily to read the lastest on fan perspectives regarding my/our beloved Oilers.

I have a question. How much accountability should there be for Lowe and MacT regarding mishandling the Comrie situation?

Please note! I am not a fan of Comrie. He definitely strikes me as a spoled rich kid, and I despise his 'me first' attitude. However, I think a lot of pro sports teams have 'personalities' on their roster that management needs to respect - on some level - if they want to win. Case in point Denis Rodman. He's a freak, but he helped the Bulls win. Comrie may be a jerk, but we're better this year with him in the lineup compared to what we got in the trade.

I ask this question because I have heard that one of the issues in the Comrie camp was the fact he was barred from training camp (sorry, no link). May I suggest that if Lowe would have bent a little there maybe Comrie would have been less rigid in his stance as well. We certainly did not get equal value in the trade.

Any thoughts?

Freudian slips is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 12:54 PM
  #2
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
Although I'm a Lowe supporter/Comrie hater, there have been a few issues:

1) Why was Comrie left untill last as far as priorities go? Shouldn't you have your best players signed, then go after the role players? I think if there had been more dialogue, things would have been different.

2) Why was Comrie not allowed in camp? At first, I accepted the better to prepare for life without Comrie argument, but they could have done so with Comrie still in camp. They could have still allowed Smyth to play at centre. It's not like bringing Comrie to camp, then losing him once the season started, would disrupt team chemistry that much. MacT disrupts the lines so much, that chemistry isn't really an issue in that sense.

The Rage is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 12:58 PM
  #3
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
I am new to posting on this board. However, I am a long time fan, and come on here daily to read the lastest on fan perspectives regarding my/our beloved Oilers.

I have a question. How much accountability should there be for Lowe and MacT regarding mishandling the Comrie situation?

Please note! I am not a fan of Comrie. He definitely strikes me as a spoled rich kid, and I despise his 'me first' attitude. However, I think a lot of pro sports teams have 'personalities' on their roster that management needs to respect - on some level - if they want to win. Case in point Denis Rodman. He's a freak, but he helped the Bulls win. Comrie may be a jerk, but we're better this year with him in the lineup compared to what we got in the trade.

I ask this question because I have heard that one of the issues in the Comrie camp was the fact he was barred from training camp (sorry, no link). May I suggest that if Lowe would have bent a little there maybe Comrie would have been less rigid in his stance as well. We certainly did not get equal value in the trade.

Any thoughts?
This has been hashed over and over and over again. Why does Lowe and MacT always get blamed for the Comrie situation when it was Comrie's fault. The NHPA would have been pissed if Comrie had attended training camp. It's not normal for a holdout to attend training camp. I know Smyth attended but he took out an insurance policy. Gaborik (Minnesota) and Havalat (Ottawa) didn't attend training camp but yet nothing is said. Why is everything Lowe does criticized? I just don't understand.

Another thing about Comrie is he wanted to come back and the doctors held him back for a while even when he wanted to play. Still MacT and Lowe get blamed of rushing Comrie back. At the time that Comrie came back, the team was depleted by injuries.

In May I believe, the team put in a policy of not allowing players to attend training camp without a contract. That's why Moreau signed a one-year deal. Moreau signed a 4-year contract the week of the HC. The NHLPA doesn't like it when players attend training camp. There's always the risk of injury as we can attest to. During Josh Green's first training camp, he dislocated his shoulder in scrimage and missed half the season. He was sent to Hamilton for conditioning and dislocated the other shoulder. That's the risk the Oilers didn't want to take with Comrie.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:01 PM
  #4
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Although I'm a Lowe supporter/Comrie hater, there have been a few issues:

1) Why was Comrie left untill last as far as priorities go? Shouldn't you have your best players signed, then go after the role players? I think if there had been more dialogue, things would have been different.

2) Why was Comrie not allowed in camp? At first, I accepted the better to prepare for life without Comrie argument, but they could have done so with Comrie still in camp. They could have still allowed Smyth to play at centre. It's not like bringing Comrie to camp, then losing him once the season started, would disrupt team chemistry that much. MacT disrupts the lines so much, that chemistry isn't really an issue in that sense.
I totally agree! We lost a guy who has scored 30+ goals as a 22 year old and have not one roster player to show for it. The Oilers, IMO, took a giant step backwards here. I still like Wowitka, but he isint even in the NHL this year. And, if you use the argument that Lowe is trying to build for 2004 then why not try to keep a offensively gifted guy like Comrie around?? I don't like Comrie, but I dont like the Comrie trade much more.

Freudian slips is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:02 PM
  #5
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
That's the risk the Oilers didn't want to take with Comrie.
I don't think it was the Oiler's taking the risk, it was Comrie, as he wouldn;t get paid if he was injured. The Oiler's don't want a player getting injured, but there's always a risk of the happening, for all the players that attend camp. Unless they are liable financially, I don't think the Oil were taking that much of a risk. If they did institue a policy in may, though, that would be a valid argument,

The Rage is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:07 PM
  #6
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
I don't mean to be a Lowe basher. But, perhaps there is some measure of accoutability on Lowe's end that could be examined. In the end, things didnt work out well for us, so I am just trying to look at where things went wrong.

ps - Gaborik and Havlat were signed by their respective teams. The Oilers failed to get one of their star players signed and are now much weaker for it. Just food for thought!

Freudian slips is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:11 PM
  #7
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
I don't mean to be a Lowe basher. But, perhaps there is some measure of accoutability on Lowe's end that could be examined. In the end, things didnt work out well for us, so I am just trying to look at where things went wrong.

ps - Gaborik and Havlat were signed by their respective teams. The Oilers failed to get one of their star players signed and are now much weaker for it. Just food for thought!
Gaborik and Havalat didn't want to be traded like the little rat did. Both Gaborik and Havalat made it clear that they wanted to return to their respective teams. The little rat didn't want to return to Edmonton.

Narnia is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:19 PM
  #8
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
This has nearly been talked to death (note the lack of Comrie related threads on page one) but I think Comrie made it clear to management that he was not happy in Edmonton and that he wanted out, right from the beginning of training camp. I think the reason the Oilers refused to let him attend was they did not want him there if he was going to be moved, or desired to be moved. He would have formed bonds with the guys on the ice and trading him at some point would have hurt the chemistry in the room, much more so than if he was not there, as the case turned out to be.

Lowe made the money request because a) the Anaheim deal was not done with his input into the particulars regarding returns, b) the Comrie camp was pushing hard for this particular deal to be done, c) Lowe did not feel the return was good enough for the club, especially coming from a conference rival. So, he basically told Winters and Comrie that if they wanted this deal so bad, and Murray wasn't going to give up roster players (a la Lowe's counter offer, which he requested several times and was denied each time) then Comrie had to even up things with a monetary return. Reporters all want their papers selling, their viewership up, so they hyped things and quotes of "unethical" and morally low conduct made their way into the headlines. The sideshow came from the media, for the most part ("Mr. Brownlee, reporting for duty, SIR" ).

As to how MacT handled it...what did he do wrong, exactly? All along he has said he needs to treat his lineup as if Comrie was not coming back, would not be a part of the team, and move on. That's what you would expect a coach to do wouldn't you? You deal with the lineup you have. If you are referring to Comrie's alleged mistreatment at the tailend of last year's season and playoffs, the truth has not come out about that and I suspect it won't at this point. Water under the bridge, though the Comrie camp seemed to be insinuating great misdeeds on management's part when they said, "I respect the organization too much to disparage them in front of the fans" (paraphrasing here). Let us hear it, if you are so confident of your case. We'll try not to at the horrible, salacious things the team has done to you Mike!

Alright, the last bit is harsh but that's just personal conjecture on my part. I think most fans agree the organization did nothing wrong at all, and the handling of the situation was perfectly agreeable to their minds.

Shizuka is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:36 PM
  #9
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I think the question we have to ask ourselves is:

is it a mistake to sign an unproven player to a contract that has any chance to tower over your established players?

and if the answer is yes, then the second question is:

when said player balks at a pay cut from his first contract, even though that's what you had planned all along, should you be surprised?

and the answer to that has to be "no".

imo Lowe felt Comrie would huff and puff but then give in. Comrie did not.

After that, it was a case of Lowe waiting until he got as much as he possibly could get. I think he did very well in that area, but there's little doubt this team will pay a large short term price.

As for Comrie, I wish him well.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 01:51 PM
  #10
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think he did very well in that area, but there's little doubt this team will pay a large short term price.
Yes, indeed

Freudian slips is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 02:56 PM
  #11
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
As for Comrie, I wish him well.
That probably makes you a better man than I or many others but then I'm sure you already knew that!

For myself I have a hard time wondering why previous history is not brought up when discussing why Comrie was told he couldn't attend training camp. After all when he attended his first one and the contract offer was not made quickly enough (and he had shown well in the early going) he picked up his sticks and reported to his new junior team to turn the screws for the next round of negotiating. I'm certain that that was what he planned to do again last fall and I'm certain that that was what Lowe was trying to avoid.

Spoiled little brat and I personally have no good wishes for him at all. Splat into the glass would be fine with me.

theoil is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 03:15 PM
  #12
gretzky2kurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
That probably makes you a better man than I or many others but then I'm sure you already knew that!

For myself I have a hard time wondering why previous history is not brought up when discussing why Comrie was told he couldn't attend training camp. After all when he attended his first one and the contract offer was not made quickly enough (and he had shown well in the early going) he picked up his sticks and reported to his new junior team to turn the screws for the next round of negotiating. I'm certain that that was what he planned to do again last fall and I'm certain that that was what Lowe was trying to avoid.

Spoiled little brat and I personally have no good wishes for him at all. Splat into the glass would be fine with me.
Good post.

It's pretty hard to wish this guy well. The guy we felt would be easier than the Weights and Guerins of the NHL.......to keep around Edmonton. Only to find out that him and the boss didn't "talk enough" in negotiations......was enough to end it all. Gimme a break. What's there to talk about when all you can EVER come up with is, "umm....I think it's time for me to move on."

The dream sure had me fooled.

Nope, sorry Lowetide......I wish Comrie the worst. And I hope Jason Smith puts Comries head through the glass when they meet.

Little suck......

gretzky2kurri is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.