HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

Old
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Great pick. Had him in my first two minor league drafts, and I'd take him in a heartbeat again. Reinhart, Jimmy Roberts, Bergman and another player who hasn't been selected were my top candidates for my No. 7 defenceman.
... Even if those guys were 3 very different D-Mens, they'll make good candidates for the 7th D-Men spot -- Bergman should even probably on a regular shift. I would probably have drafted him : however, I have Mikhailov on my sqaud, and somehow thought it just wasn't a good idea to take Bergman.

And for Roberts... His greatest usefulness is probably the fact he also played forward position for a seizable part of his career with some success to boot. Depending on the need I have, I could make him play either at F or D. I also claim on having the most versatile D Corps, with a whopping 4 guys who played forward at some point in their career (Roberts, Wilson, Anderson & Svedberg) -- I know I'll have to dress one of them at F, cause that indeed gives me 8 D-Mens.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
pitseleh

Since others seem to be doing this and I'm bored, here's a list of my four teams that haven't been getting much hype, but should be. This isn't necessarily reflective of who I feel is best (we know GBC, Murphy, HO, VanIslander, etc. have great teams) but more great teams that seem to be flying under the radar.

Buffalo: Great combination of speed and skill (Perreault, Cournoyer, Ratelle) with toughness and skill (Gillies, Olmstead, Lemieux). If they have a good right winger Metz/Tkaczuk has the making of one of the best shut down lines in the draft. A rock solid defense corps led by Shore combined with a great clutch goalie in Bower will make it tough for other teams to score. Zubov and Shore should be able to carry some of the offensive load from the back end.

Kansas City: If I could describe this team in three words, it'd be 'tough, tough, tough'. All four lines have great physical presences, and the defense (other than Housley, obviously) is rock solid. With Sawchuk in net and Shero behind the bench, teams aren't going to score a ton against them. Moore, Cowley and Primeau should be able to shoulder a bulk of the offensive load. This team reminds a lot of the Clippers last time around. Definitely not a team I'd want to face if I were hoping to make a deep playoff run.

Seattle: Their bottom six isn't going to score a ton, but with Jagr, Trottier, Goulet, and Kerr, they may not have to. I really like the mix on defense, with three rocks in McCrimmon, Langway and Ludwig, and one of the more underrated players of all time in Gadsby. I'm also a huge Gardiner fan, and he's definitely capable of standing on his head. A good team top to bottom.

Boston: Talk about team clutch. Messier and Keon up front alone should be able to will this team to victory a few times. Prentice-Damphousse-Nystrom is an excellent third line and should be capable of shutting others down while bringing offense. As expected, Evil Speaker has a great defense anchored by Pilote. Green, Korab and Pratt will be tough to play against, while Wentworth is a great two way defenseman. Gonchar may be a bit of a liability, but with Reinhart ready to sub in, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Brimsek-Joseph is a very good 1/2 punch in net.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Pwnasaurus

We like to be underdogs...gives us more opportunity to hear Shero quotes in the lockerroom.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Murphy started it.
Leaf Lander started it.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Leaf Lander started it.
im gonna end it

go to your rooms boys

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Hockey Outsider

I'll take another tough, hard-working, defensive blueliner with D Barry Ashbee.

"Nothing could keep him out of the lineup. During the 1972-73 season, Ashbee played with partially torn knee ligaments. The following season, he suffered a chipped vertebrae that sent burning pain through his arm to his hand. To prevent further damage, the aging warrior wore his patented padded collar... Ashbee could tolerate pain but found it almost impossible to accept a player whose commitment was half-hearted. After several players broke curfew during training camp in 1972, Allen had to talk Ashbee out of quitting the team. "Ashcan," as Ashbee was called by teammates, anchored the Flyersí defense of 1973-74 when Philadelphia won its first Stanley Cup. His plus-52 rating earned him a place on the NHL All-Star Second Team."

Bobby Clarke said that Ashbee was "The strongest guy mentally Iíve ever seen."

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:58 AM
pnep

Siberian Bears: Todd "Big Bert" Bertuzzi

pnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Wisent

As my No7 defenseman I pick
Uwe Krupp
Finally back in his home country

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:14 AM
Nalyd Psycho

By all rights I don't really need a goalie as much as I need a d-man. But. I also wasn't expecting an oppertunity to have the best 3rd goalie in the draft. And by all rights, I should probably have a modern era NHL goalie. But, again, too good a player to pass up. I've mentioned a few times how Benedict had the second longest major pro-career prior to Sawchuk, well, this guy had the longest.

Aww shuck it. I want him on my team because he's the only person in history to back stop Vancouver to a Stanley Cup.

G Hughie Lehman

05-09-2007, 03:21 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
By all rights I don't really need a goalie as much as I need a d-man. But. I also wasn't expecting an oppertunity to have the best 3rd goalie in the draft. And by all rights, I should probably have a modern era NHL goalie. But, again, too good a player to pass up. I've mentioned a few times how Benedict had the second longest major pro-career prior to Sawchuk, well, this guy had the longest.

Aww shuck it. I want him on my team because he's the only person in history to back stop Vancouver to a Stanley Cup.

G Hughie Lehman
Geez, Nalyd, I wish you and raleh were in the same division, because raleh's going to want to drill you over that one. One of raleh's all-time favourites. (I actually passed him up in the last draft so that raleh could have him. You didn't actually think that I thought Sean Burke was better than Lehman, did you?)

Anyways, terrific pick. If he isn't the best No. 3 in the draft, he's right up their with the best.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Nalyd Psycho

One good thing is that none of my goalies have 60+ game season experience. But, I could comfortably play 30-25-25 over the season because all three are more than able to hold their own.

Oh and, really, I just wanted to make sure Frightened Inmate #2 didn't have any faith in my team.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:52 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post

G Hughie Lehman
If Vanbiesbrouck was taken, he was my second option.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Wisent

Just a stupid question. How do people judge the role of a No3 in your team?

Old
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
To be honest I was going to use that spot for a fun pick like Hardy Astrom (don't think he'll be drafted so I'll name drop him here)...because I have a feeling with Sawchuk playing 70+ games and Osgood being a competent backup for the other 10+ and Sawchuk playing every playoff game, my 3rd goalie should see no action, but I'm not sure how others view a 3rd goalie. To me, it is sort of a pointless roster spot in a format where injuries can't really occur. I think 2 assistant coach choices make more sense in this format than a 3rd goalie.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Yeah, I'm not sure the #3 goalie is particularly important. I can't even name the #3 goalie for the majority of cup champions...

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:41 AM
MXD

#3 goalie is important when your #2 goalie sucked big time in the playoffs, or vice-versa.

Old
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
arrbez
bad chi

So I guess the key is to avoid goalies who sucked bigtime in the playoffs

Old
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
So I guess the key is to avoid goalies who sucked bigtime in the playoffs
Unless you have a potent no.3 goalie.
Or a goalie that had at least seizable succes in the playoffs.
Well....that's how I see this. I intend to draft only 2 goaltenders anyway... It cannot be done otherwise.

Old
05-09-2007, 09:44 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I intend to draft only 2 goaltenders anyway...
how so?

Old
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
LapierreSports

Send a message via MSN to LapierreSports
Wanderers pick

Going way back again and loving the research part of this draft :
Mike Grant (D)

Grant was known as one of the original rushing defencemen in the sport.

Also, check out this website if you havent already, good reading.
http://www.chidlovski.com/wwhhof/

LapierreSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:52 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
how so?
If you look at the "main draft board", you'll see that I have only one pick left.

And I cannot morally take a goalie with that pick.

Old
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Wisent

Quote:
If you look at the "main draft board", you'll see that I have only one pick left.

But you have to, it`s the rules.

Old
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
BM67

Quote:

Add Jimmy Roberts to your roster and the only spot left is the 3rd goalie.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapierreSports View Post
Going way back again and loving the research part of this draft :
Mike Grant (D)
Nice pick, on my shortlist for a 7th, had him in the minor league draft last time. Wicked cool stache. Not a Lanny style honker, but, a totally old school style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
Depends, in some cases, such as mine, there's no proven 60 game goalie, so, a good 3rd will get lots of starts in the regular season. Also on that note, if either goalie is injury prone, then, one must assume the 3rd goalie will get play. Same reason I made sure to load up at center, knowing Mario will miss 20+ regular season games.

In other cases, it's a tie breaker. If you can't decide between two teams, then, 3rd goalie can work as a tie breaker.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
raleh

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not how I expected to start the day...I took Ronning expecting Lehman to drop to the next round! What do you want for him? haha.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote