HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
  #76
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Trade proposal

To the Jim Robson Division: HFF's Portland Buckaroos

To the Don Cherry Division: Troubled Inmate #2's Vancouver Canucks

The new conference alignment allows us to have the best rivalry in the draft. (Trail vs. Edmonton). This would enable the second-best rivalry in the draft (Las Vegas vs. Vancouver). We have to get these two teams in the same division. And it's always nice to have my old friend HFF in my division. (Natural rivalry with myself, pit and HFF).

BTW, nice to have you back talking again, TI2. It's been far too quiet from your camp in this draft.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:53 AM
  #77
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
by the same token, could Richter play in an era without forward passing? Or how about pre-slapshot? Or without a mask?
Without forward passing - seeing as though it was a rule designed to increase the scoring levels in the NHL when they were at all time lows (sound familiar!) one would have to say yes.

Pre-slapshot - well players can still use a wrist shot as well as the other shots available at the time - I would have to say yes he would be able to play pre-slapshot

Without a mask - I don't understand this one, it doesn't have anything to do with the rules of the game (well I guess they blow the play down when the goaltender loses his mask). Plus I thought that everyone agreed that equipment would be standard with modern equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
To say a player from a certain era or league is inherently inferior violates the spirit of the draft.
If you feel as thought that is what I am doing then you couldn't be more wrong - I am stating that due to the rules at the time they greatly inflated (or deflated) the numbers of goaltenders which have been used as the main benchmark considering the lack of footage from the era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I apologize if I get a bit too heated when discussing this. It just angers me that someone involved in this process could be so dismissive of the ideology behind an all-time draft.
Dismissive of your ideology. I don't think that someone from one era is automatically comparable to another there are differences in skills not to mention the rules in which they played.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:54 AM
  #78
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
I guess I should note, just to establish my state of mind, I'm writing homework right now...

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:55 AM
  #79
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
To the Jim Robson Division: HFF's Portland Buckaroos

To the Don Cherry Division: Troubled Inmate #2's Vancouver Canucks

The new conference alignment allows us to have the best rivalry in the draft. (Trail vs. Edmonton). This would enable the second-best rivalry in the draft (Las Vegas vs. Vancouver). We have to get these two teams in the same division. And it's always nice to have my old friend HFF in my division. (Natural rivalry with myself, pit and HFF).

BTW, nice to have you back talking again, TI2. It's been far too quiet from your camp in this draft.
That would make this thing 10x more entertaining.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
  #80
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
To the Jim Robson Division: HFF's Portland Buckaroos

To the Don Cherry Division: Troubled Inmate #2's Vancouver Canucks

The new conference alignment allows us to have the best rivalry in the draft. (Trail vs. Edmonton). This would enable the second-best rivalry in the draft (Las Vegas vs. Vancouver). We have to get these two teams in the same division. And it's always nice to have my old friend HFF in my division. (Natural rivalry with myself, pit and HFF).

BTW, nice to have you back talking again, TI2. It's been far too quiet from your camp in this draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I guess I should note, just to establish my state of mind, I'm writing homework right now...
You can blame the movie Freedom Writers for that, the crap movie that I thankfully didn't pay for wasted two hours of my life getting the same tired message across over and over again!

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:58 AM
  #81
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
You need to take it with a grain of salt. Bears back in the 1950's were amateur at best, and they usually worked a second job in the offseason instead of training year-round like modern bears do.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:59 AM
  #82
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
By the way if anyone else in the draft has MSN Messenger my e-mail is fraserdunn@hotmail.com

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 01:07 AM
  #83
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
We certainly are free and willing to debate here that's for sure. I just don't see the point of even doing an all time draft if you're going to discount or undervalue older or european players the way that you do.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 01:20 AM
  #84
Murphy
Registered User
 
Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
To the Jim Robson Division: HFF's Portland Buckaroos

To the Don Cherry Division: Troubled Inmate #2's Vancouver Canucks

The new conference alignment allows us to have the best rivalry in the draft. (Trail vs. Edmonton). This would enable the second-best rivalry in the draft (Las Vegas vs. Vancouver). We have to get these two teams in the same division. And it's always nice to have my old friend HFF in my division. (Natural rivalry with myself, pit and HFF).

Trails gotta make the playoffs before there's a rivalry, and with that powderpuff line-up, I don't know.....?

But thanks GBG, and BM67 for selecting for me this weekend. Jason Smith is a current favourite and a very welcome addition to the lineup. I think Smith alone has more grit in himself than the entire Trail line-up.

Ian Turnbull is an old favourite, he was a strong #2 with Salming in his day and will be looked upon as a powerplay specialist on the Oil. In his prime between 76 to 81 he averaged over 60 ppg and just under 1 ppg average in the playoffs.

Not sure why Al Secord doesn't get more love here but he will with the Oil faithful, twice a 40 goal scorer, once a 50 goal scorer and over 2000 pims in his career and not cheap pims like that Dale whatshisname. It won't take Secord long to endear himself to the Oil fans when he introduces himself to Curt Fraser in the first preseason game with Trail.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 01:33 AM
  #85
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2 View Post
Not sure why Al Secord doesn't get more love here but he will with the Oil faithful, twice a 40 goal scorer, once a 50 goal scorer and over 2000 pims in his career and not cheap pims like that Dale whatshisname. It won't take Secord long to endear himself to the Oil fans when he introduces himself to Curt Fraser in the first preseason game with Trail.
I strongly concidered him, but, ultimately decided he wasn't what I needed.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 02:03 AM
  #86
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Ever since he changed his name, he got real sassy...
No I am just having some fun here, I love to debate things related to hockey and this is just another case of that. Makes things a bit more entertaining that everyone nodding their head and agreeing with everything don't you think - plus it encourages more active discussion.

And Freedom Writers is still bugging the hell out of me, what a crap movie.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 02:06 AM
  #87
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
We certainly are free and willing to debate here that's for sure. I just don't see the point of even doing an all time draft if you're going to discount or undervalue older or european players the way that you do.
It is just different value system that I have, you might disagree and it is your right to do so, I will say it is possible that I am disagreeing with your lineup because I know both you and VanIslander will both defend your team with some solid arguements.... but that is just hypothetically speaking.

Take it as a compliment not as an insult.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 02:09 AM
  #88
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
It is just different value system that I have, you might disagree and it is your right to do so, I will say it is possible that I am disagreeing with your lineup because I know both you and VanIslander will both defend your team with some solid arguements.... but that is just hypothetically speaking.

Take it as a compliment not as an insult.
I'm not insulted no worries. Debate is cool with me. I know my view of the draft has changed dramatically in only having been in now two of them so it's ever evolving.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 02:11 AM
  #89
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
And Freedom Writers is still bugging the hell out of me, what a crap movie.
I hate when that happens. I actually had nightmares because Pet Cemetary was so awful. I kept trying to find ways to make it not suck that I couldn't sleep.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:21 AM
  #90
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
Back from a mini vacation and I find lots of debate...excellent!

PS: how much more time on JFF's clock? I have to leave from about 9am est until sometime in the evening.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
  #91
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Back from a mini vacation and I find lots of debate...excellent!

PS: how much more time on JFF's clock? I have to leave from about 9am est until sometime in the evening.
His time will be up at 9:17 am eastern

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:33 AM
  #92
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
Ok, if he's not here in an hour can I PM my pick to someone? thx.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:22 AM
  #93
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Ok, if he's not here in an hour can I PM my pick to someone? thx.
You can send it to me.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:24 AM
  #94
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
You can send it to me.
Thx. PM sent.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:23 AM
  #95
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
JFF's time is up and I have the next two GMs lists so here goes.

For Pwnasaurus and the Kansas City Scouts the selection is goaltender Chris Osgood.

and for #66 and Les A's de Quebec the selection is:

RW Bill Ezinicki

He began his NHL career in 1944-45 when he suited up for eight games with the Toronto Maple Leafs where he had a goal and five points. The following season was split between the Pittsburgh Hornets of the AHL and the Leafs, where he had four goals and 12 points in 24 games.

In 1946-47, Ezinicki's role on the team grew tremendously as he played in 60 games with the Leafs, scoring 17 goals and 20 assists for 37 points. He played three more seasons in Toronto, reaching at least the ten-goal and 20-point mark each year. Although he weighed just 170 pounds, he had the reputation of being one of the NHL's best bodycheckers, something that New York Ranger forward Edgar Laprade could have attested to, having been knocked unconscious by one of Ezinicki's thundering hits. There was a league investigation into the hit, but it was deemed legal.

In 1950-51 he joined the Boston Bruins, scoring 35 points in 53 games. Ezinicki also was involved in an infamous stick-swinging duel with Detroit's Ted Lindsay in 1951, resulting 19 stitches for Ezinicki and three-game suspensions and $300 fines for both.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:04 AM
  #96
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Do that and I quit. F that!

I'm tired of his constant picking-out-from-the-crowd favortism of criticism toward my "different value system". His points are legit but they are so much more toward my teams than any others. He helped an upset happen last draft because I simply didn't have as much time to fight back in arguing.

I have that a lot of nice arguments, reasoning with several of you guys, many pleasantries via PMs, analyses, real discussions. But nothing with him, even when I tried. He is just being "logical" but he keeps doing it on my *ss. He is relentless.

Keep the alignments as they are. We have drafted teams to face the sort of teams in our division. No need for re-arrangement at round 20. Seriously.

Ha, ha. But no.
You had me at hello.... but past that the reason that I enjoy "picking" on you for lack of a better term is that I know you can make a solid arguement and that you will defend your team in an articulate manner. At the same time we have some different viewpoints on issues, to a certain degree I feel as though players have evolved over time and that needs to be taken into account, hell look at Roy Worter's beer belly in that picture that was posted a while back. The real debate is whether greatness can easily be transfered from era to era... and what could amount to from sport to sport considering the changes in the rules of the game.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
  #97
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate #2 View Post
...players have evolved over time and that needs to be taken into account, hell look at Roy Worter's beer belly in that picture that was posted a while back...
I agree totally.

How does that point relate at all to the Thunder's line-up? It doesn't!!!

Smith was a farmer in the off season and that's probably how he got the rep as the strongest NHLer: build some fences and run a big farm and get pretty tough, those farmers and ranchers. Shane Doan grew up on a ranch and he attributed his toughness to that upbringing. Tsygankov was a strong, fearless, shot-blocking top checker for the Soviets throughout the 70s, a decade they PROVED they're as good as NHLers!! at least the top Soviets were, and he was a part of all those teams at that time, alternate captain as well... (whereas, the Soviets of the 50s I'm as suspect about as the NHLers of the 30s, though in both cases I judge those picks differently, as honouring the past, and give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of how they'd fare with modern nutrition, training, equipment, etcetera, though looking at pictures of waaaay back then, I can't help but think there's no way they'd be in the same league, that we are - in part - simply acknowledging the past and respect for picks are on that basis.) Burrows I remember as a premier player defensively and (here's a new link, one more respected) is listed on the NHLPA Legends site:
Quote:
"... established himself as one of the NHL's best defensive rearguards. And although he lacked almost any scoring knack in the offensive zone, he was well equipped to cover his own end of the rink. In his prime, he could skate faster backwards than most players could move forwards, and as such, could stifle any one-on-one threat with exceptional efficiency.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=12160

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
  #98
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I hate when that happens. I actually had nightmares because Pet Cemetary was so awful. I kept trying to find ways to make it not suck that I couldn't sleep.
wait till you see Spiderman 3. By the end I was fully hoping for Venom to chew Toby McGuires stupid crap-acting face off, but it never came...

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
  #99
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
I take back my take back because I apparently suck donkey ass at research + reading compreshension.

Sorry D Dave Ellet. I'll bump your pay by 10% if that'll smooth things over


Last edited by Evil Sather: 05-07-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
  #100
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2 View Post
Trails gotta make the playoffs before there's a rivalry, and with that powderpuff line-up, I don't know.....?

But thanks GBG, and BM67 for selecting for me this weekend. Jason Smith is a current favourite and a very welcome addition to the lineup. I think Smith alone has more grit in himself than the entire Trail line-up.

Ian Turnbull is an old favourite, he was a strong #2 with Salming in his day and will be looked upon as a powerplay specialist on the Oil. In his prime between 76 to 81 he averaged over 60 ppg and just under 1 ppg average in the playoffs.

Not sure why Al Secord doesn't get more love here but he will with the Oil faithful, twice a 40 goal scorer, once a 50 goal scorer and over 2000 pims in his career and not cheap pims like that Dale whatshisname. It won't take Secord long to endear himself to the Oil fans when he introduces himself to Curt Fraser in the first preseason game with Trail.
As far as grit is concerned, Jason Smith doesn't come close to Gus Mortson. Mortson would beat Smith to a pulp in quick fashion.

Fraser will eat Secord alive, just like in the 1982 Campbell Conference Final, when Secord and Savard didn't have an answer for the relentless checking efforts of Fraser et al.

Ian Turnbull averaged just over 60 ppg? For just the second time in the draft (the first being the selection of Nels Stewart), I'm impressed with a Murphy2 selection. 60 ppg? Geez, that put him on pace for 4,800 points.

Anyways, there are a couple of forwards left over from the list that pit sent me for his second pick in the 20th round. Should I announce his pick, and then allow him to change it if he so desires. I don't know whether those players are still the ones he wants, or if they were listed because they met a need.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.