HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez

Old
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
1-Clearly your definition of "calling someone out" and mine are completely different. I said I did not believe Gomez would re-sign based on a gut instinct and the fact that he doesn't seem to me to be Mr. Loyal-to-the-Devils. YOU said he would re-sign because someone on your board knows him and said he would. I then (even with a sarcastic smiley) said something to the effect of...'how do you know he knows him because you know, I'm his cousin.' Clearly the joke went over your head, because you must have PM'ed him or whatever because within hours he was here with pictures, to which I replied that I have seen similar pictures just from people I know personally dozens of times. I don't blame him for coming here, I blame you for sending him here. I have no problem with him, in fact, I found his explanations to be quite interesting and informative. Again, you were the one who quoted him as saying Gomez would re-sign, because I do believe what he posted here was similar to what he said today which is that Gomez was 'unsure.' Do you get FSNY? Did you see his post-game? 'Cause if that wasn't a player saying later-tater, I don't know what was.
Show me where I ever said he would resign with New Jersey, if I recall correctly I believe I said he most likely resign with New Jersey.

See, I can be cute too.

Also you mean you blame me for you getting owned, right?

Quote:
2-As Jester so eloquently pointed out, you have absolutely no proof what the outcome of the Devils/Tampa series would have been if Julien was behind the bench because your god fired him before he was given the chance to coach the team he brought to an Atlantic Division championship only days earlier. Again, your definitions of 'gods' and mine couldn't be further apart, I wouldn't expect you to understand just how Lou looks to the outside world after firing Julien with three games remaining in the regular season. How about I play Devils (no pun intended) advocate, and say that Julien would've brought this team past the Sens if he was still coaching....I know, ignoramous statement right? Because there's no proof.
Of course not, it's my opinion they wouldn't have and I even stated to Jester that we could have beaten Tampa, but I would have been shocked and that's the truth, and if you look back many Devils posters felt the same way and called for Juliens being fired because exactly the reasons I listed before.

BTW, what is my defination of "god" since you clearly know? Because I have it my username? Give me a break, that is so weak, it's a username. And calling people out for what they selected as their username is really the lowest form of posting.

Quote:
3-As for Marty, again I wonder where you live because he made many statements about his team not scoring enough...funny Gomez is near the top of the playoff standings in terms of points, and Marty is near the bottom in GAA (the only goalies lower had been knocked out in the first round), but scoring was the problem...gotcha Marty. I'll look for the links, but the board I read most of them on doesn't archive real well and tends to delete threads frequently.
But of course, face it, you can't back it up.

Quote:
Marty Quotes: (For Lou)

Clearly only his forwards make mistakes:

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Column...3/4149433.html
Because this isn't it, show me exactly where he calls his forwards out.

You know what, I could care less what you think my opinion of a "god" is or what your opinions are period, it's just best I just put you on ignore, busting my chops for my username, you gotta be kidding me.

05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
flyersfan97

Lou, lou, lou, in case I'm not on your ignore list yet, let me say this, it is "of {your} opinion" that the Devs would not have beaten Tampa if Julien was still the coach, just like it is "of my opinion" that Gomez will not re-sign with the Devs. Why is it OK for you to have your opinion, but not OK for me to have mine? Isn't that what boards like this are about, weighing one's opinion against another?

As for being "owned," as of today, I'll just say, sorry, that hasn't happened. If Gomez re-signs with your boys, I'll be the first on your board to congratulate you, but that hasn't happened yet. In fact, after watching his post-game, now more than ever do I think it's less likely. Could he be playing hard ball with Lou? Certainly, but Dano's comments kinda solidified my feelings.

Moving on, of course it is your choice to use the word "God" when referring to GMs of hockey teams, sorry to say that I don't use the term that losely...again, one person's opinions against another's.

As for Marty, I've posted several links discussing what I perceive to be deragatory comments against his teammates. I'm still looking for even one where he takes responsibility for his own play. If you can find one, by all means, I'd love to see it.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
One way to eliminate the diving is to stop calling both the penalty and the dive. Just start calling the dive and players will learn pretty fast that diving wont be tolerated.
But don't they call players for just the dive? I never really noticed, but I agree now I think about it they do call two penalties it seems most of the time.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
BringBackStevens

The diving penalty is flawed in design. If the officials supposedly can detect a dive, then there is no reason to hand out ANY penalties. Diving should be eliminated as a penalty, and if a player dives a referee therefore should not call the alleged infraction. The problem is that refs cant accurately identify a real dive, and also dont have the balls to call them without attaching another penalty to it - so just get rid of it altogether.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:44 AM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
The diving penalty is flawed in design. If the officials supposedly can detect a dive, then there is no reason to hand out ANY penalties. Diving should be eliminated as a penalty, and if a player dives a referee therefore should not call the alleged infraction. The problem is that refs cant accurately identify a real dive, and also dont have the balls to call them without attaching another penalty to it - so just get rid of it altogether.
indeed!

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:27 AM
McNasty

Well said KZ, I still prefer my idea of attaching a 5 or 10 minute misconduct to diving in addition to the 2 minutes. I agree that the problem lies in the design.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
They were dead in the water in Juliens final days, players were revolting against him and they weren't even playing for him anymore, the team stopped listening to him, sure we could have beaten Tampa, but I would have been shocked if we did, not like I was when we actually did.

Lou didn't screw up when he fired him, he screwed up when he hired him.
100 point season begs to differ.

the mystique around Lou is friggin absurd... he made a mistake! the team was a 100 point team and was turning it around when he got fired... Lou gets a 100 point winner through the 1st round and goes out quick and quiet in the next round and he made the right call? please.

Julien deserved to finish out the season.

Last edited by Jester: 05-08-2007 at 05:29 AM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
100 point season begs to differ.

the mystique around Lou is friggin absurd... he made a mistake! the team was a 100 point team and was turning it around when he got fired... Lou gets a 100 point winner through the 1st round and goes out quick and quiet in the next round and he made the right call? please.

Julien deserved to finish out the season.
A ham sandwich could get 90 pts out of a Devils team, and a Julien coached team would have beaten the Ottawa Senators? Puh-leeze.

Old
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Lou took the initiative before the playoffs to take what would have been a problem out. I don't agree with firing Julien, but I see why he did it. He didn't want to have the excuse/reason afterwards that the coach was a problem, and removed him from the equation.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
A ham sandwich could get 90 pts out of a Devils team, and a Julien coached team would have beaten the Ottawa Senators? Puh-leeze.
not saying they would have, i'm saying a man who did his job deserved the opportunity to continue to do his job... if this had been the Flyers we would be a laughing stock (again). it's a double standard and it was an unfair dismissal of an employee. if you want to make a move after the end of the season, make a move... but Lou embarassed Julien for ZERO tangible gain.

Lou is an a** and nothing shows it more clearly than that move.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
not saying they would have, i'm saying a man who did his job deserved the opportunity to continue to do his job... if this had been the Flyers we would be a laughing stock (again). it's a double standard and it was an unfair dismissal of an employee. if you want to make a move after the end of the season, make a move... but Lou embarassed Julien for ZERO tangible gain.
Hey, what he did is fair game for criticism, that I won't deny. But the reason he probably gets a pass on this is because of his track record, it's called building capital.

Quote:
Lou is an a** and nothing shows it more clearly than that move.
Would it make you feel better if I changed my username to that?

Old
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Diving should be a penalty because it is a dishonest effort to attempt and trick the official into giving the other team a penalty... the job is hard enough, you don't need some punk falling down on purpose to make it harder.

my problem with the diving rule is that it shouldn't be even. i don't care if the guy was getting hooked or not, if you dive you nullify the fact that the other guy did anything wrong. the player that dives should give the other team PP... that will settle it down to an extent... NHL also needs to crack down severely on divers after the fact.

Classic example being Scott Gomez in the last game against us this year when he grabbed Kapanen's arm and then sat down. Ref in the game missed it... it sux, but that's going to happen. If the league came back and suspended Gomez for a game after that he's far less likely to do that again... Diving isn't the players fault, the refs and league reward them for doing it by not punishing them for it.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Lou has 3 rings, he might know a thing or two about winning.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
I think you changed my mind.

But, getting rid of the instigator penalty might allow the other team to police divers themselves. Or not. But it would be fun to watch.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Hey, what he did is fair game for criticism, that I won't deny. But the reason he probably gets a pass on this is because of his track record, it's called building capital.
oh, clearly his track record is his saving grace in this situation... however, i don't think your track record as a winning GM allows you to run roughshod over employees like he did with Julien... i have a real problem with what happened there at a very basic level and it's something that has little to do with hockey, it's simply how people should be treated by their employer.

as we said before, if there was a GOOD reason for why Julien should have been set aside, he should have stated so after the fact... he didn't, he goes on the radio and babbles some crap about how their are things he knows that others don't know. that's not good enough... you've put a stigma on a guys career (lets be honest, you don't think the first question in the next job interview Julien has will start with, 'why did Lou let you go?') and you've come out and let him hang out to dry.

it will be interesting to see how hiring coaches goes in NJ in the next couple of years... obviously they have some 'in house' options like Burns and such who may be there next year, which won't be affected by this. however, if i'm a top-end coaching prospect that has no affiliation with the Devils... i would avoid working under Lou if i had other job opportunities.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Lou has 3 rings, he might know a thing or two about winning.
yes, it's called Martin Brodeur.

and you can be very successful in life and still be an a**.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
oh, clearly his track record is his saving grace in this situation... however, i don't think your track record as a winning GM allows you to run roughshod over employees like he did with Julien... i have a real problem with what happened there at a very basic level and it's something that has little to do with hockey, it's simply how people should be treated by their employer.

as we said before, if there was a GOOD reason for why Julien should have been set aside, he should have stated so after the fact... he didn't, he goes on the radio and babbles some crap about how their are things he knows that others don't know. that's not good enough... you've put a stigma on a guys career (lets be honest, you don't think the first question in the next job interview Julien has will start with, 'why did Lou let you go?') and you've come out and let him hang out to dry.

it will be interesting to see how hiring coaches goes in NJ in the next couple of years... obviously they have some 'in house' options like Burns and such who may be there next year, which won't be affected by this. however, if i'm a top-end coaching prospect that has no affiliation with the Devils... i would avoid working under Lou if i had other job opportunities.

Sorry, I didn't realize there is a protocol on how to go about firing a coach.

Julien I'm sure is a big boy, he also had two years left on his contract to cry away any tears his firing might have hurt his feelings, and I doubt this will put a stigma on him at all, where are you getting this stuff from? Seriously.

And you might foolishly avoid taking a job with a team that has a legit shot at the cup every year, but believe, if you think that will affect other potential coaches, your dreaming, I don't recall baseball managers turning down a job with the Yankees when King George was firing them like a cap gun.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Your kidding right? That's right, Lou got "lucky" in drafting him, because we all know how easy being an NHL GM is these days.

Quote:
Who honestly cares if he an ass besides you?

Old
05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
NathanFoley

Quote:
Julien I'm sure is a big boy, he also had two years left on his contract to cry away any tears his firing might have hurt his feelings, and I doubt this will put a stigma on him at all, where are you getting this stuff from? Seriously.
I doubt anyone's worried about Julien's feelings here. But if I'm a Devils fan, I AM worried about my GM's ability to find a top-end replacement. 7 coaches in seven years, and you better get 110 points if you don't want Lamouriello kicking you to the curb in April.

NathanFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanFoley View Post
I doubt anyone's worried about Julien's feelings here. But if I'm a Devils fan, I AM worried about my GM's ability to find a top-end replacement. 7 coaches in seven years, and you better get 110 points if you don't want Lamouriello kicking you to the curb in April.
Like I said, that shouldn't even be a concern, especially when we have Burns waiting in the wings, he even hinted if Lou offered him the job he would take it and Burns is one of the best in the business.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Your kidding right? That's right, Lou got "lucky" in drafting him, because we all know how easy being an NHL GM is these days.
when you get the best goaltender in the history of the league out of the draft... you got lucky. unless you really need me to do a statistical breakdown of expected value from draft choices.

the draft is almost entirely about luck... it's best guesses... which is why you have guys like Zetterberg going in the 7th friggin round... and a couple of undrafted guys on your club who are big time contributors.

maybe you don't like the element of chance in the nature of the sport, but it's a simple fact of life (in most things in life for that matter). you're too busy defending Lou to the teeth (which is fine), i'm just being objective about it.

and yes, i think there SHOULD be a protocol to how an employer treats an employee and (assuming you're an employee, employer, or have been one of the other) i would imagine you feel exactly the same way in relation to yourself.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Like I said, that shouldn't even be a concern, especially when we have Burns waiting in the wings, he even hinted if Lou offered him the job he would take it and Burns is one of the best in the business.
that's fine... it's the next coach you might have a problem in signing. if you honestly think coaches don't think they can mold a winner anywhere -- especially with the salary cap -- you're kidding yourself. the Devs are an appealing job with Brodeur back there, but the world will flatten in the NHL and every job will be relatively equal assuming management is competent... and Lou hasn't exactly handled the salary cap era with brilliance.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
And you might foolishly avoid taking a job with a team that has a legit shot at the cup every year, but believe, if you think that will affect other potential coaches, your dreaming, I don't recall baseball managers turning down a job with the Yankees when King George was firing them like a cap gun.
While I don't think it will have a huge effect, to say that the revolving turnstile in north jersey behind the bench won't matter at all is a bit naive as well.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
While I don't think it will have a huge effect, to say that the revolving turnstile in north jersey behind the bench won't matter at all is a bit naive as well.
if you can get canned at the end, prior to the playoffs, of what anyone objectively looking at the situation would call a completely successful season that's a BIG red flag for taking a job...

people act like these people aren't normal people trying to get hired... given equal compensation, where would you rather coach, buffalo or new jersey? it's not even close.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Even Martin Brodeur didn't win those Cups by himself. Before winning in 2000, the Devils were thought of as the Braves as hockey