HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So where the HELL is rock bottom?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 03:50 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
So where the HELL is rock bottom?

I'm just dying to know. This team needs to be sick of being laughed at and look to each other, and pull together. They need to scrape up every ounce of pride they have and work themselves out of this mess. I'm not a big MacT fan.....but they need to ALL start listening.....this way at least they can all be on the same page.

Is losing to the Flames on Tuesday gonna be rock bottom? Hard to say because the Flames are so hot now. Then it's the Nucks again! Will losing to them AGAIN be rock bottom? I doubt it. Then we play the Flames again. If they are STILL hot then....will losing that game be considered rock bottom?

If "none of the above" is enough for this team to feel like they've hit rock bottom, we have back to back games with the Wild.

Rock bottom has to be in there somewhere folks. If not......they play Chicago on January 2nd.

It truly sucks for us right now. Look at the other Canadian teams. Calgary is on FIRE. Canucks have established themselves as a super-power. The Leafs are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. The Sens have struggled as of late but have long been considered a cup contender. What's happening in Edmonton this year? We are the league whipping boy.

There is 4 games yet to be played in December. Two games against the defensive stingy Flames, One game against the Canucks..... a team we haven't scored on in 2 games this season. And one game against the Wild.....ANOTHER team we haven't scored on in the last 2 meetings.

With these 4 games (flames/Nucks/flames/wild) left this season.....do you think the Oilers will be able to muster more than 4 goals? Sorry but I sure don't.

And lastly.

NO MORE OUTDOOR HOCKEY GAMES!!!

Old
12-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Lowetide

As bad as it is, they're not THAT far off the pace. They'ew 12-15-6 and have been the 74-75 Washington Capitals for the last 3 weeks.

They'll right the ship eventually and start winning games again, but some of these teams (Calgary) are white hot right now. Minnesota is also winning. Add to that Nashville's real strong showing and miracles in the Pacific Division (San Jose, LA) and the Oilers picked the wrong month to step into an elevator shaft.

I do wonder what Craig MacTavish is going to look like by season's end, though. He's aged about a decade since October.

Old
12-21-2003, 04:25 PM
gretzky2kurri

LT.

So where would you consider rock bottom to be? Have we already hit it? Will losing to the Flames be it?

My feeling is that if we lose to Calgary, then lose to the Nucks AGAIN......that HAS to be rock bottom.

Isn't "rock bottom" when the team all look at each other and say, "we're not going to accept this anymore" and fight there way out of the mess? When they all FINALLY decide to 100% across the board buy into a system (if there IS even one) and play for each other?

My idea of playing for each other right now is treating your own net like it's the "Queen Bee" and not allow anyone to make your goalie look bad.

That's where it starts. As much as people wont like it, RIGHT NOW this team needs a 1-0 victory ALOT more than a 5-2 victory.

Old
12-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The Oilers also miss Reasoner a lot more than is being said. The team probably doesn't even know when Reasoner is going to be back. This team needs to get healthy and they haven't had everybody available since game 7 of the season.

Last edited by Narnia: 12-21-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old
12-21-2003, 04:39 PM
HOZ

Pittsburg

Old
12-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
LT.

So where would you consider rock bottom to be? Have we already hit it? Will losing to the Flames be it?
I think this week is close. The Oilers management came under fire this week, with Lowe defending himself on HNIC. In my mind, he's probably in no mood to see this continue and the riot act is probably being read.

I think the most powerful tool for an organization is playing time on the big roster. If the Oilers trade someone after the freeze, or send two guys down and call up two others, or have a core player sit out a game, that to me would be an indicator that the management isnt going to take it any longer.

Until then, or until 3 go in off someone's ass, the elevator shaft is infinite.

Old
12-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Hawkalyzer

rock bottom is when ur owner is Bill Wirtz
your GM: Bob Pullhard
your coach refuses to let his young forwards play offense
your head scout:Michael Dumas, aka the draft joker

ur quite far from rock bottom, trust me

Old
12-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Rock bottom is going 0-13 on PP, including over four minutes of 5 on 3. Rock bottom is scoring two goals a game on average. Rock bottom is when you give up two goals, all is lost. Rock bottom is when the only reason why you watch the team is to see what the youth does next. Rock bottom is going 0-11-1-2 on the road

You want rock bottom? Watch a Columbus Blue Jackets game.

Old
12-21-2003, 05:29 PM
nineteen79

It's really a sad sight to see what has happened to the Hawks.Injuries aside they have been in a free fall and all of that you can blame on ownership and management.But it really makes the Oilers seem they are light years away from rock bottom.Although that can change in a hurry

Old
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
HOZ

Quote:
I'm just dying to know. This team needs to be sick of being laughed at and look to each other, and pull together. They need to scrape up every ounce of pride they have and work themselves out of this mess. I'm not a big MacT fan.....but they need to ALL start listening.....this way at least they can all be on the same page.

Is losing to the Flames on Tuesday gonna be rock bottom? Hard to say because the Flames are so hot now. Then it's the Nucks again! Will losing to them AGAIN be rock bottom? I doubt it. Then we play the Flames again. If they are STILL hot then....will losing that game be considered rock bottom?

If "none of the above" is enough for this team to feel like they've hit rock bottom, we have back to back games with the Wild.

Rock bottom has to be in there somewhere folks. If not......they play Chicago on January 2nd.

It truly sucks for us right now. Look at the other Canadian teams. Calgary is on FIRE. Canucks have established themselves as a super-power. The Leafs are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. The Sens have struggled as of late but have long been considered a cup contender. What's happening in Edmonton this year? We are the league whipping boy.

There is 4 games yet to be played in December. Two games against the defensive stingy Flames, One game against the Canucks..... a team we haven't scored on in 2 games this season. And one game against the Wild.....ANOTHER team we haven't scored on in the last 2 meetings.

With these 4 games (flames/Nucks/flames/wild) left this season.....do you think the Oilers will be able to muster more than 4 goals? Sorry but I sure don't.

And lastly.

NO MORE OUTDOOR HOCKEY GAMES!!!
I really am wondering what you expected from this team? It dumped it's top defender, top centre, top defensive centre and the #1 goalie is in the dump.

What did you expect? Did you truly delude yourself into thinking they were going to set the league on fire? Did you?

And since you are hung up on Cowville's success

Calgary have veterans at every position. Top positions. Do they have as many sophmores in their line-up as the Oilers? Nope. Rookies? Nope.

Sutter does wonders with veteran hard-working teams. He sucks with talented laden teams. His goalie is hot...white-hot. His veteran who never scores is on pace to win the Rocket Richard trophy. His third line pluggers get as much icetime as the stars. And we wonder why Marleau never developed quickly.

The Oilers are prepared to go into the CBA negotiation as one of the youngest teams in the league. Calgary is pondering trading their lone established star player.

Trust me....rock bottom is Pittsburg. There IS NO HOPE THERE.

Old
12-21-2003, 06:39 PM
bfan

Rock bottom depends on the perspective does it not? Depends on the expectations of a hockey crazed town which has been promised by the management that they are stocking for post-CBA but is still determined to be a competitive team.

IMO, rock bottom is when a team no longer gives 100% every night, when there is no accountability, when a team comes out for a 20 minutes effort and assumes everything is going to be all right.

It really does depend on perspective, doesn't it?

Old
12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan
Rock bottom depends on the perspective does it not? Depends on the expectations of a hockey crazed town which has been promised by the management that they are stocking for post-CBA but is still determined to be a competitive team.

IMO, rock bottom is when a team no longer gives 100% every night, when there is no accountability, when a team comes out for a 20 minutes effort and assumes everything is going to be all right.

It really does depend on perspective, doesn't it?
No not really. Pittsburg is rock bottom. Their best player, the owner, is out for the season. And the other player is playing in the WJC. They have no fans. They are up to their necks in debt. They are the worst hockey team in the league.

4 points from a playoff spot after playing horrid hockey isn't. Unlike many here, my expectations of this hockey team is far more grounded in reality. Playoffs is a very outside chance of happening.

At least we're not Dallas. They were SUPPOSE to challenge for the cup.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:31 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
I really am wondering what you expected from this team? It dumped it's top defender, top centre, top defensive centre and the #1 goalie is in the dump.

What did you expect? Did you truly delude yourself into thinking they were going to set the league on fire? Did you?

Calgary have veterans at every position. Top positions. Do they have as many sophmores in their line-up as the Oilers? Nope. Rookies? Nope.

Sutter does wonders with veteran hard-working teams. He sucks with talented laden teams. His goalie is hot...white-hot. His veteran who never scores is on pace to win the Rocket Richard trophy. His third line pluggers get as much icetime as the stars. And we wonder why Marleau never developed quickly.

The Oilers are prepared to go into the CBA negotiation as one of the youngest teams in the league. Calgary is pondering trading their lone established star player.

Trust me....rock bottom is Pittsburg. There IS NO HOPE THERE.
Listen up HOZ.

I have no love affair with Calgary....you have alot of nerve suggesting such a thing. I'm not talking about Sutter. I'm not talking about Pittsburg.

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE FRIKKING OILERS..........okay? Our team.....you know....the team we always talk about on this board. I'm talking about rock bottom for THIS team and THIS city.

And just because you are "comfortable" with the way this team is playing.......doesn't mean we're all supposed fall in step with the likes of a "lets all smell the daisies along the way and join hands and celebrate" person like you.

What was I expecting from this team? Certainly not to "set the league on fire" as you suggested I may feel. Get serious HOZ.

I don't care that you ALWAYS feel the urge to rip all my posts to peices. (it's the only time you EVER speak to me) But stick with the topic I presented. (THE OILERS)

You have this stupid attitude that nobody should EVER be upset this team. Like it's wrong for us to speak up when WE think the team has struggled. I'm so sick of hearing all your excuses also.

So what should we talk about today HOZ?

Please step out of your little "pixie land" and enlighten us all.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:38 PM
gretzky2kurri

Can I reitterate that when I suggest "rock bottom".....that 'Im talking about the Oilers.

When I talk about "rock bottom" I'm refering to the point in the season when these players decide to go no where but up. Where they start to turn it around on pride etc.

I feel this team needs to hit "rock bottom" before they collectively get their butts on the same page and play a solid 60 minutes each night.

I'm just wondering where that is for THIS club. Not Pittsburg or Columbus.

That's all.

I was just wondering if people had an opinion where that might be....or if we hit it already. This has nothing to do with the fans in the stands, the ownership situation or who has to go to WJ. Or the placement in standings.

(LT seemed to figure it out)

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 12-21-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old
12-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Digger12

I would think that 'rock bottom' could be reached as soon as Jan 02 against Chicago. Lowe looks like he's getting into one of his tempers again, a bad loss against the Hawks could set him off.

I think it'll be interesting to see what he has to say tomorrow afternoon on the Bob Stauffer show.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Listen up HOZ.

I have no love affair with Calgary....you have alot of nerve suggesting such a thing. I'm not talking about Sutter. I'm not talking about Pittsburg.

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE FRIKKING OILERS..........okay? Our team.....you know....the team we always talk about on this board. I'm talking about rock bottom for THIS team and THIS city.

And just because you are "comfortable" with the way this team is playing.......doesn't mean we're all supposed fall in step with the likes of a "lets all smell the daisies along the way and join hands and celebrate" person like you.

What was I expecting from this team? Certainly not to "set the league on fire" as you suggested I may feel. Get serious HOZ.

I don't care that you ALWAYS feel the urge to rip all my posts to peices. (it's the only time you EVER speak to me) But stick with the topic I presented. (THE OILERS)

You have this stupid attitude that nobody should EVER be upset this team. Like it's wrong for us to speak up when WE think the team has struggled. I'm so sick of hearing all your excuses also.

So what should we talk about today HOZ?

Please step out of your little "pixie land" and enlighten us all.
G2K, you're a good poster but hear me out here. Thie Oilers are being over-criticized right now. That's a fact. I'm not angry at the Oilers being criticized. What I'm angry at is the criticizing is going overboard and every player is being criticized even if the team plays well.

Marty Reasoner has been out for 6 weeks and it's really hurting the team. I made a post about the injuries to Reasoner and Pisani last night and Guy talked to Marty and Marty doesn't know how long he'll be out. The injury to Marty appears to be a lot more serious than the original diagnosis when he first went down with injury in Toronto.

Pisani's missed 3 games and that's 2/3 of the checking line that's been out for the last 3 games. Fans may hate Pisani but they haven't won a game for the 3 games he's been out. I'm not blaming the losses on Pisani's injury but right now 2/3 of the checking line is injured with only Moreau healthy.

This team right now is having trouble staying healthy. They were healthy for the first 7 games of the season. This team is becoming injury-prone in front of our very own eyes. The Oilers used to be a team that didn't have too many injuries in a seaon. Now they're having trouble getting healthy or remaining healthy. I was hoping when they were healthy for the first 7 games they could be pretty healthy. Once they got that first injury, they haven't had everybody available for a game.

Is Conklin really ready for #1? I think he has a chance to one day be #1 in NHL but he's not ready yet. Salo has been having trouble staying healthy this year. He missed a month with a Groin/Hip injury and his back siezed up during the first period against the Canucks. He spent the next two periods in the dressing room.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:49 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I would think that 'rock bottom' could be reached as soon as Jan 02 against Chicago. Lowe looks like he's getting into one of his tempers again, a bad loss against the Hawks could set him off.

I think it'll be interesting to see what he has to say tomorrow afternoon on the Bob Stauffer show.
Very good Digger.

I could see the Oilers winning one of these 4 games to close out December....beating the Wild in the January opener........then pooping the bed against the Hawks.

Yea.......that would be a pretty good candidate.

If they lose every game up until the Hawks......I think we'll be hearing the "rock bottom" suggestion before that game.

I see 1 win and a "rock bottom" lose to the Hawks in the next 6 games. (maybe lob a tie in there somewhere)

That just may be the painful tonic....

Old
12-21-2003, 07:59 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
G2K, you're a good poster but hear me out here. Thie Oilers are being over-criticized right now. That's a fact. I'm not angry at the Oilers being criticized. What I'm angry at is the criticizing is going overboard and every player is being criticized even if the team plays well.

Marty Reasoner has been out for 6 weeks and it's really hurting the team. I made a post about the injuries to Reasoner and Pisani last night and Guy talked to Marty and Marty doesn't know how long he'll be out. The injury to Marty appears to be a lot more serious than the original diagnosis when he first went down with injury in Toronto.

Pisani's missed 3 games and that's 2/3 of the checking line that's been out for the last 3 games. Fans may hate Pisani but they haven't won a game for the 3 games he's been out. I'm not blaming the losses on Pisani's injury but right now 2/3 of the checking line is injured with only Moreau healthy.

This team right now is having trouble staying healthy. They were healthy for the first 7 games of the season. This team is becoming injury-prone in front of our very own eyes. The Oilers used to be a team that didn't have too many injuries in a seaon. Now they're having trouble getting healthy or remaining healthy. I was hoping when they were healthy for the first 7 games they could be pretty healthy. Once they got that first injury, they haven't had everybody available for a game.

Is Conklin really ready for #1? I think he has a chance to one day be #1 in NHL but he's not ready yet. Salo has been having trouble staying healthy this year. He missed a month with a Groin/Hip injury and his back siezed up during the first period against the Canucks. He spent the next two periods in the dressing room.
Excuses again. I guess we can't expect pros to play through any adversity.

What....nobody ever gets hurt in LA? Take a look at the standings and then the man game injuries. I know the Wings are powerful.....but what did they have 9 regulars injured? I'm not talking about 9 Kirk Maltbys either, most HOF'ers.

I'm so sick of this "we're small market and injured" mentality around here.

We're all hurt so I guess there is no reason to play 60 minutes a night or play as a team with something that RESEMBLES a system.

And don't DARE be critical of us.

We'll just throw our hands in the air. We have great excuses.

We'll just look REAL entertaining and exciting out there.......and the love will be everlasting.....

(P.S. thanks for getting off the topic.........where's rock bottom? For THIS team.)

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 12-21-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old
12-21-2003, 08:09 PM
gretzky2kurri

This thread ISN'T intended to be a rant on the Oilers......yet I keep getting dragged there.

AGAIN.......where do people think rock bottom is? Assuming "rock bottom" is where the team takes it upon themselves to salvage their pride and says enough is enough.

I'm confident it will happen. Just curious to when the THUD comes.

That's the jist of my topic.

Special thanks to Lowetide and Digger for figuring it out.

Old
12-21-2003, 08:18 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
I

Hoz....the Flames are using three or four rookie forwards (Kobasew,Lombardi,Betts-when healthy, Morgan-although he's old) plus Saprykin...on defence the Flames have no-one older than 27, and often go with 3 23 year olds...the Oilers have 4 30 year old defenceman.

yes the Flames have some vets, definitely more than Edmonton--but it's not as extreme as you suggest

Old
12-21-2003, 08:27 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
Hoz....the Flames are using three or four rookie forwards (Kobasew,Lombardi,Betts-when healthy, Morgan-although he's old) plus Saprykin...on defence the Flames have no-one older than 27, and often go with 3 23 year olds...the Oilers have 4 30 year old defenceman.

yes the Flames have some vets, definitely more than Edmonton--but it's not as extreme as you suggest
I was gonna mention his skewed info too. There were just too many other things to say to him.

Please excuse our man from "pixieland".

Old
12-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Smaug

vCash:
Gretz

I sincerely hope rock bottom is a shutout loss to Vancouver that requires a team meeting instead of a practice the next day.

This sundays team meeting likely involved a short pep talk from Mac T that contained the phraze "we are confident in our players ability to turn things around". Which means, K Lowe is not currently contemplating roster changes, but he may be forced to if the players don't take the hint.

I am afraid though, that rock bottom won't come untill it is too late for roster changes to perk up the team enough for a stretch drive into the playoffs

Old
12-21-2003, 08:57 PM
gretzky2kurri

Oops.........I think I scared everyone away.....lol.

I think I would have been much better off doing this as a poll. As it's not intended to be an Oiler rant.......but rather a question to those who have an opinion when we'll hear the thud. If we haven't already.......or do at all.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:03 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug
Gretz

I sincerely hope rock bottom is a shutout loss to Vancouver that requires a team meeting instead of a practice the next day.

This sundays team meeting likely involved a short pep talk from Mac T that contained the phraze "we are confident in our players ability to turn things around". Which means, K Lowe is not currently contemplating roster changes, but he may be forced to if the players don't take the hint.

I am afraid though, that rock bottom won't come untill it is too late for roster changes to perk up the team enough for a stretch drive into the playoffs
Good post Smaug. I really hope last night was it. But I'm not yet convinced it was. Tuesday might be a better indicator.

But if this team has to poop the bed for 3 more starts to get there......I'm all for it. The sooner the better.

Calgary entered the season with people laughing at them and writing them off. They said to themselves, "lets prove everyone wrong". And they currently are.

Let's hope this is the unintentional Oiler "rope a dope"....

Old
12-21-2003, 09:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

GO G2K GO!

RANT RANT RANT!

My typing fingers needed a rest!

Closed Thread