HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR 2007-2008 Speculation

Old
05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
weekes
they should lock up nylander
lock up shanahan?
rachunek will go, so will isbister

i'm sure there will be trades this offseason as well, but I'll leave the predictions to others

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Isbister (UFA) is gone
Ortmeyer (UFA) is gone I think
Shanahan (UFA) is 50/50
Strudwick (UFA) may be gone, or will be signed as a 7th D.
Weekes (UFA) is probably gone. Too expensive to be a backup.

Nylander (Option/UFA) will more than likely be resigned. He'll be here until Jagr leaves.

Avery (RFA) will be resigned
Hossa (RFA) I can see being resigned (he's RFA). He'd make a good 4th line player if not playing on the top line again since he'll be healthy again.
Rachunek (RFA) I could see as gone, he's a RFA though, so the Rangers would get some sort of compensation for him.

Malik may be traded, but I don't know, he's still got a year left.
Prucha I don't think will be moved as people are suggesting. If anything he'd be traded at the beginning of the season if he doesn't bulk up. Trading a kid who scored 52 goals in his first two seasons would be stupid IMO. I say give the kid a chance. Plus next year is his contract year. He's gonna wanna make some good money.

oh and
Ozolinsh (UFA) Gone

Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-06-2007 at 10:12 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Sucks to say it but I think Ortmeyer will be gone, he is basically the same player as betts just less talented.

Nylander, Avery lock them up.

I hope the staff can work with Malik and make him better, but it was sad to him so down in that little interview regarding the garden fans. That was not cool

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Smashley

Sayonara weekes

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
mrhockey193195

I actually think ortmeyer stays...at least, until a player like Byers or Moore proves they are ready for the NHL/better fit for the Rangers 4th line.

I love Ortmeyer to death, and hope he sticks around for a long time, but I realize that it probably won't be the case.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

If the Rangers want to grab a top talent, it's going to cost some young players going the other way. I tell you what, if Chicago started dangling the top pick and a young player such as a Ruutu or maybe a Barker, I'd hand over Montoya, Prucha and our #1. And, then I'd take Turris.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Players Re-signing:

Shanahan (UFA)
Nylander (UFA)
Avery (RFA)
Hossa (RFA)
Prucha (RFA)
Immonen (RFA)
Liffiton (RFA)
Weekes (UFA)

Players NOT Re-signed/Let Go/Traded:

Ozo (UFA)
Rachunek (RFA)
Strudwick (UFA)
Lampman (RFA)
Isbister (UFA)
Malik (One can dream, right? lol/Signed through 2007-08)

Not Sure About

Hollweg (Expendable IMO/RFA)
Orr (Who knows/RFA)
Orts (Solid PK'er/RFA)

Lines for 2007-08 (With Open Spots):

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
XXXX-Avery-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan
Hossa-Betts-Orts(?/XXXX)

- Who fills the 2nd line winger (Or center spot if Avery shifts to the wing)? A UFA (Briere/Drury/Gomez?) or promote from within (Immonen/Dubinsky/Dawes?)?
- Do you re-sign one or two of Hollweg/Orr/Orts for that 4th line spot or let a kid like Greg Moore or Dane Byers give it a go?

Tyutin-Girardi
Rozsival-Staal
Mara-XXXX/Pock
XXXX/Pock

- Who fills the last D spot (If Rachunek is not re-signed and Malik is dealt)? Make a run at a UFA (Souray/Markov/Hannan?) or bring another kid up (Sauer/Baranka/Liffiton?) or does Pock take the final spot?

Lundqvist
Valliquette? OR Montoya?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Drury-Shanahan
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Prucha-Betts-Ortmeyer/Orr

Malik-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Mara
Pck

Lundqvist
McLennan

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my lineup would be:

Straka Nylander Jagr
Avery Horton Callahan
Hossa Dubinsky Shanahan
Dawes/Prucha (whoever isnt traded for Horton) / Betts / Ortmeyer

Rozsival Sourray
Tyutin Girardi
Mara Staal

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Seeing how good a team like Buffalo is with four lines of legitimate threats, it becomes easier for me to cut ties with players like Hollweg and Orr. Yes they'd be effective put into the lineup against a team like the Islanders or Flyers, but otherwise, they should be up in the box eating popcorn.

Some here feel that players like Dawes, Immonen, and Dubinsky shouldn't be up on the big club unless they're in their natural roles, but why not put together a speedy, two-way line with hands to play 8-12 minutes a game as a fourth group? When you look at a team like the Sabres, they roll four lines and it keeps them fresh the entire way. Yes we play four lines regularly, but we only expect scoring out of three and we only see scoring out of one. I think it's ok to acquire a legit second liner and bump a Callahan or Dawes down a group. It would only add to our depth and provide scoring options on four lines while not sacrificing any defense.
Good point. We have a great 1st line, at least for the time being so no real need to break the bank and commit big money for long term there. If we go with the Sabre style of play and try to roll 4 lines at least 10 minutes a night, there's no reason to not start working in young guys. Maybe it's not true today (maybe it is), but very soon guys like Dawes, Dubinsky, Helmenien, Korpokoski and Moore will be better than guys like Hollweg, Hossa, Ortmeyer, Orr and Isbister. Think about how great this team can be and how far they will go if the 3rd and 4th lines could contribute some scoring here and there. 5 of the 6 games in this series were 1 goal games. Imagine if we could have squeezed 3 goals out of the other 2 lines... that's only a goal every other game but it could be the difference between the conference finals or even the cup final and going home now.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:20 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Now how exactly do we know that Florida is trading away their first round, 3rd overall pick, 21 year old, 30 goal scoring center and to the Rangers for that matter?

Old
05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Now how exactly do we know that Florida is trading away their first round, 3rd overall pick, 21 year old, 30 goal scoring center and to the Rangers for that matter?
We don't know. It's at best, speculation. What we do know is that Horton and Florida haven't exactly been on the best of terms lately.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Now how exactly do we know that Florida is trading away their first round, 21 year old 30 goal scoring center and to the Rangers for that matter?

The reason the Horton rumors popped up is there were reports before the trade deadline that Horton's not happy in Florida, and might try to sign an offer sheet, (he's a pending RFA), to get himself out of Florida. I'm pretty sure Jess at BB also mentioned the Rangers tried to deal for him at the deadline.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Casmatt

What happens with Kaspar now? I DON'T want him back, but I'm not sure what he's considered. Is he now a FA? Still on contract with the Rangers or Wolf Pack? I know he's going to try to make a comeback, so I want to know if he's already an FA.

As far as everyone else goes:
I think they should probably re-sign Hossa, I'm really not a fan, but I'd like to see what he can do for at least part of next year. Don't sign Rachunek. I think Ortmeyer is a great guy and a great PK/energy guy, but he seriously has hands of stone. Not that I think that he should be a big scorer or anything, but I mean, he's horrendous offensively, so I'm not to sure about re-signing him. Probably should let Hollweg go, he takes to many dumb penalties imo.

Last edited by Casmatt: 05-06-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

i'm sure he's done. I hope for his sake that he can sign with another team, although I think his career may be over.

Old
05-06-2007, 10:59 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Weekes, Rachunek and Isbister go. I'd like to see Ortmeyer stay.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:01 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceltheuseless View Post
What happens with Kaspar now? I DON'T want him back, but I'm not sure what he's considered. Is he now a FA? Still on contract with the Rangers or Wolf Pack? I know he's going to try to make a comeback, so I want to know if he's already an FA.
He'll probably be kept down with Hartford, as I think if the Rangers bring him back at anytime he would have to go through re-entry waivers and a team (Like the Islanders might take a shot at him). He has one year left on his contract, but it does not count against the Rangers cap number. If he can be brought back up without going through re-entry waivers, the Rangers will more than likely let him come to camp and then waive him (This time the claiming team will be on the hook for Kaspar's entire salary, not 1/2 as is the case when claiming a person on re-entry waivers). I think it is pretty safe to say that Kaspar's tenure with the Rangers is over. I think he will retire in the offseason.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Balej20*

I hope Ortmeyer isn't gone, he gives 110% every night, but I understand we have alot of players similar to him...

Weekes is gone for sure

Malik has to go after the abuse he's been given from fans, he was a good sport about it but enough is enough, get him out

I think we def resign Shanny and Avery, Hossa, Prucha, Nylander, Immonen. Everyone else I'm not so sure about. And as long as prices stay down hopefully we bring in someone for a decent price on D

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Now since the season it over.. let the rant begin..

Get Hossa out of here. I never got it with the love affair for this guy. He scores something like 5 goals in a 10 game stretch and all I see are people all over here with this Hossa has arrived crap. It's the same old same old with this guy. He "arrived" the beginning of his first year here too. How did that turn out? He got hurt this year, came back, scored a goal in the Atlanta series and that's that. Back to the borderline 3/4th liner he will always be. I'd easily play Avery, Callahan, Immonen, Dawes and Dubinsky above this guy. There's alot of Hossa love on here for some reason, but the reality is that the experiment should be over. Personally, I'd stick with Ortmeyer over Marcel if that was the choice.

I don't mind Weekes really, and I'm sure he's a great locker room guy, but it's also time to move on in goal also. Montoya's gotta get some Broadway time next season. Who knows, what if he actually DOES turn out to be better then Henrik??? That's a pretty tall order from what we've seen, but Al's certainly earned his time to see how bright he can shine.

Staal's going to be a Ranger next season, and IMO is going to have just as much of an impact as his brothers have had on their rosters. So the question there is who is out? Personally, even though I'm not a huge Malik basher, I'm just as easily done with him as well. However, since it seems like he's here for one more season, Rachunek is the man out.

I'd sign Strudwick as a 7th Dman.

I like Peter, I really do.. however, IF the price was right and it was a clear upgrade, I'd consider moving Prucha. I could potentially see him having a good year next season though, so the safe bet is to keep him around. At worst, he's a 3rd liner that busts his ass and has a scoring touch. HEY, what don't we have enough of???

Isbister will find a home somewhere back in the AHL where he belongs, being called up once in awhile due to an injury. Maybe even with the Pack. Same thing with Orr, being brought into the lineup on a night where there is a need for extra toughness. Neither player are those you want to be in you lineup for every game. Spare parts.

Jagr and Shanny are both going to be another year older next season. As great as they both can be, we need some of our younger guys like Cally to step it up. If Prucha could prove me wrong and become that 35+ 1/2nd liner goal scorer we all hoped he could've been after his freshman year, well that'd be great too.

Hollweg is a nice fan favorite, but aside from his big hits (that half the time land us shorthanded) he doesn't bring much else to the table. However, those big hits are a service that not alot of our other players are able to provide and does have an impact on the game. Ideally, he's a good 4th liner/13th forward. I'd welcome him back.

If they bring in a FA (which is a BIG IF), I'd think they'd try to go after a Souray type or some sort of D-man rather then a forward. There just seems to be too many guys like Dawes, Immonen, Dubinsky that are ready for the big time. There's even a chance a guy like Moore could pull off a great camp and land on the roster. So far the only guy I see that's a sure thing to make the team would be Staal, and honestly he's probably the most important guy that's going to make an impact. I like Pock and would like to see him in the lineup, but if he's bumped for Marc then so be it. Ideally, Malik would be the odd man out, but I don't see that happening. Again, I'm not a huge Malik basher and I'm sure he does alot of little stuff nicely, but lets be honest here. Whatever "little things" he's doing right, somebody else should be able to handle as well.. and when it comes down to it, he's just too damn slow and often get's burned when one on one. If the Buffalo series showed us anything, it's that if you want to win against the NHL's better teams, you have to be fast. Therefore, you will not win when it counts with guys like Marek Malik.

Again, all IMO.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
mucker*

Weekes
Rachoknex
Hopefully Malik

Why Orty?
He's a hardy working, speedy PK, do we REALLY have prospects that have a scoring upside worth the risk of dropping him?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
mucker*

NYR 2007-2008 Speculation

Aside from just players what do the Rangers need in order to ensure they can further in the playoffs next season and at least have a smoother regular season which does not involve mid season flurtations with medocirary.

In other words I don't want the Rangers sucess of this year to lead them to contempt at sitting still and being happy ala the Carolina Panthers, though they won a cup.
I also don't want this to be a fluke, like the New York Giants who always follow good, promising future seasons with poor ones.

What's your opinion on the Rangers?
Did they go far or did they blow a golden chance and is the window shutting?

Do they
1) Need more amo, scoring, to go with the Jagr line and Shanahan, meaning offensivie FAs?
2) Do they need better defense to allow them to protect leads, meaning FA offensive and defensive players?
A common theme-blowing leads, was due to bad defensive players choking, getting nervous playing with a lead, and not enough scoring to take off pressure.
How do we fix, with FAs, leave as is, or do we have REAL prospects that can do the job, or a mix?
3) How is this not 1997 were we go somewhat far and then need a rebuild, tell me this club is not the same.

Bottom line, what is it going to be?
-Stay the course, but we have real prospects and give them a chance
-We need more offense, difference, and experience to protect leads but also have good prospects and must look to the future, so add FA's on offense and defense along with prospects?

-Get a good backup to give Lundqvist fresh air.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
funky

Might as well keep Jagr happy and sign Nylander. Keep the Nylander, Jagr, Straka line together.

Re-Sign Avery but know he is a 3rd line player, not a second line player. Let him out with Cullen and Callahan as speed kills and we defeniatly lack it.

The 4th Line we Already have a pivot in Betts, an enforcer in Orr and enough rookies not to worry about the fill in.

Unfortunatly our second line is horrid. I won't be popular but I say do not re-sign Shanny. I love the guy but the 4 mil could be put toward a proper 2nd line center like Drury. Play Drury with a playmaker/sniper like Prucha (yes, give the lil guy another shot) and possibly a rookie like Dubinsky (use his big body on the wing).

Nylander - Jagr - Staka
Drury - Dubinsky - Prucha
Cullen - Callahan - Avery
Betts - Ortmeyer - Orr

On Defence we have a great start.

Mara - Rozsival
Tyutin - Girardi
Malik - Staal
Pock

GOALTENDING IS PERFECT

Lundqvist
Valiquette (cheap and good enough to start 10 -15 games)

Subtract

Shanny = $ 4 mil = Drury 5.5 mil
Ozolinsh = $ 2.75
Rachunek = $ 1.8 = Staal .855 000
Hossa = $ .6 = Dubinsky .625 000
Isbister = $ .6
Weekes = 1.950 = Valquette .620 000

Team gets a bit younger, a bit faster, and should mesh.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Block More Shots

I really hope Ortmeyer is resigned. Some of you are quick to disregard his great defensive play and hard work, especially on the PK. He's a valuable part of our lower lines. Even in a 4th line role, he's extremely reliable.

Give him a 1-year deal. I'm sure he enjoys it here in New York and the fans have really embraced him here.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

a centermen and a top flight d-men

Chris Drury and Kimmo Timmonen OR Tom Preissing.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:10 AM
lotus

A playmaker and a top d man.

Get us a great playmaker and watch people like prucha, callahan, dawes, hossa, all REALLY shine.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote