HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Western Conference Finals: Wings vs Ducks

Old
05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Western Conference Finals: Wings vs Ducks

I'll type up what I think tomorrow. Until then, discuss!

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
doublejack

I find it freaking hilarious that Ducks fans are saying exactly what Sharks fans did... that they match up better against Detroit. Jeez, that worked out so well for San Jose

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I find it freaking hilarious that Ducks fans are saying exactly what Sharks fans did... that they match up better against Detroit. Jeez, that worked out so well for San Jose
Hypothetically, if the Wings go on to win the cup, I'm convinced that they will be underdogs the whole way through and every won series will not be because they are the better team, but because the other team don't show up.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Fugu

vCash:
It's the RecycledPostO'Matic (TM). No one has to think about it that way. Let's see (pick at least 3 at a time):

Wings are Old
Wings buy their Cups
Wings are too Soft
Wings have too many Euros (an indictment in and of itself)
Ergo, Wings have No Heart
Wings Don't Hit
Wings Don't Block Shots
The Refs give ALL those games Away
The Wings Choke (no fair counting Cups in last decade)
Wings are Overrated
Wings Play in a Weak Division
Lidstrom is NOT the best D-man in the World
Wings are Slow
Wings have less Talent

Now, Recycle through these at your leisure and you'll have 99.8% of all opposing team homer posts covered.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:34 PM
CKJohn

This series isn't going to be like the last 2 gents. Ana actually has goaltending and Defense, something we've not seen too much of yet.

Fear not, The Wings are 4-1 in the WCF and Hasek is 6-0 in playoff series' with Detroit.

While it really means nothing, its a cool stat.

Let your nails grow out until friday cause there isn't going to be much of them left after this round. I see alot of low scoring games ahead.

CKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
tmntdonjuan

Quote:
The Sharks are the only team that matches the Ducks' size, which I think will be a big factor in the series. I still think it'll go to 6 or 7 games. Also, taking away Schneider for the rest of the playoffs will hurt Detroit. That is a huge loss to the power play since he provided that point shot that is so critical. The Ducks on the other hand don't have any major injuries, and it looks like the 2 roster players that were out might be back for the start of the series. Either way I win since Detroit is my 2nd favorite team. If the Ducks don't advance, there's no other team I'd rather have in the Finals than the Wings.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Calgary fans were happy to draw the Wings.
San Jose fans were VERY happy to draw the Wings.
And now the Ducks fans are happy to draw the Wings.

Ho hum.

Let me guess. The Ducks are younger, faster, and bigger?

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJohn View Post
This series isn't going to be like the last 2 gents. Ana actually has goaltending and Defense, something we've not seen too much of yet.

Fear not, The Wings are 4-1 in the WCF and Hasek is 6-0 in playoff series' with Detroit.

While it really means nothing, its a cool stat.

Let your nails grow out until friday cause there isn't going to be much of them left after this round. I see alot of low scoring games ahead.
Actually, the Ducks are like a better version of Calgary. Solid goaltending and defense, with a little more O.

But I agree it's going to be a close series. And I don't see it ending in less than six games. The Ducks have basically figure skated their way into the WC finals, this will be their first real test.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:48 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by byungshin34 View Post
The Sharks are the only team that matches the Ducks' size, which I think will be a big factor in the series. I still think it'll go to 6 or 7 games. Also, taking away Schneider for the rest of the playoffs will hurt Detroit. That is a huge loss to the power play since he provided that point shot that is so critical. The Ducks on the other hand don't have any major injuries, and it looks like the 2 roster players that were out might be back for the start of the series. Either way I win since Detroit is my 2nd favorite team. If the Ducks don't advance, there's no other team I'd rather have in the Finals than the Wings.
For one, the Wings are bigger than they get credit for. Bertuzzi, Cleary, Lang, Franzen... these are not small men.

Secondly, size didn't do the Sharks much good. The bigger they are... well, you know.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by byungshin34 View Post
The Sharks are the only team that matches the Ducks' size
The Wings matched up just fine with the Sharks size-wise. Other than the 3rd period in Game 3 the Wings matched the Sharks every step of the way physically. This leads me to believe that its quite possible they can match up with the Ducks as well.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Dirk316

At the end of games we dont have Dmen like Craig Rivet who cough up pucks with 20 sec left and a lead. We also take runs at key players and if losing will send a message unlike the teams you played. Good luck

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
At the end of games we dont have Dmen like Craig Rivet who cough up pucks with 20 sec left and a lead. We also take runs at key players and if losing will send a message unlike the teams you played. Good luck
Oh, you mean sending a message like the Flames did in game five? We're shaking in our boots...

Then again, I'm not surprised that you'd be writing proudly about goonery. You're funny, Dirk. Funny guy, right here.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Higgy4

Quote:

You mean like the goon fest that Calgary displayed in Game 5? How about Rivet and Hannan trying to "send a message" in Game 5 of this series?

Yeah, yeah, yeah...we have heard it all before Dirk.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

Sounds like the same message the Flames liked to send. If you have to resort to gooning it up, then you have no business being on the ice with the Wings. That's what losers do when they can't accept their inferiority.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Ha ha. 3 in a row there on the Flamers.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Ha ha. 3 in a row there on the Flamers.
Yeah, apparently Dirk completely missed the Wings/Flames series.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Dirk316

Flames was a bad attempt at sending a message, im realistic it wont be a sweep by either team but if the Ducks are losing there will be gloves dropped and probably Detroit turtles like usual. Im sure the refs will have your back like usual and the PP is your enforcer

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Kopistar

As a Kings fan, I am pulling for you guys to murder the Quacks.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Here's my quick hit on the Ducks. Luongo is better than any of their goalies, but Giggy of 2007 is NOT Giggy of 2003. Solid D if Nieds, Prongs and Beauchemin stay healthy. Offense? Shut down Selanne (Nick's assigment); the rest of rather young and should be something the Wings' veterans and remaining D can handle.

It'll be another defensive snoozefest for the most part. I think Dom is up to anything the Ducks can throw at him. Personally the snipers on the Sharks or a team like the Sens put more fear into me if we're really comparing offenses around the league. The Sabres too.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:00 AM
TRIARII*

my traditional theme song to opponents 07 = " keep away " . link =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRXWKVSf1Rw

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Flames was a bad attempt at sending a message, im realistic it wont be a sweep by either team but if the Ducks are losing there will be gloves dropped and probably Detroit turtles like usual. Im sure the refs will have your back like usual and the PP is your enforcer
Nothing wrong with that. It's a hockey game, not a the NHL of the 1970's, you know, where you go to a fight and a hockey game breaks out. You may want to buy into all that Burke bluster, but we've seen Burkie boys' teams before. The goons will just end up looking stupid and classless, kinda of like the Flames did there at the end.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
tmntdonjuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
The Wings matched up just fine with the Sharks size-wise. Other than the 3rd period in Game 3 the Wings matched the Sharks every step of the way physically. This leads me to believe that its quite possible they can match up with the Ducks as well.
Except I think the Ducks will try harder and not get beaten to the pucks as much. The Ducks do have the overall size advantage which I hope they will utilize to wear down the Red Wings.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Nothing wrong with that. It's a hockey game, not a the NHL of the 1970's, you know, where you go to a fight and a hockey game breaks out. You may want to buy into all that Burke bluster, but we've seen Burkie boys' teams before. The goons will just end up looking stupid and classless, kinda of like the Flames did there at the end.
Plus the Wings will match the physicality, just like they have so far in the playoffs. You don't need an enforcer to do that.

Old
05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Well, as long as the objective is to score goals to win the game, a potent PP is a mighty fine enforcer. If you were looking for fights and a slugfest, the Sharks were the team you should have been pulling for...

Old
05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Pronger4Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
Plus the Wings will match the physicality, just like they have so far in the playoffs. You don't need an enforcer to do that.
I doubt it. All 4 lines hit and grind. EVERY time the ouck is behind Hasek, a check will be finished on your D. book it

Pronger4Pope is offline   Reply With Quote