HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Western Conference Finals: Wings vs Ducks

Old
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
The one upperhand (beyond home ice) that Babcock has is that he's more than comfortable tossing 2 (possibly 3) of his lines up against anyone. I asked a couple posts higher up, but how is the kid line (or with May up there) defensively? Would Carlyle be willing to toss them out there against Z, Pavel, and Homer? Or is that line an automatic Pahlsson hops the boards situation?

As for the Wings' forecheck, I'm guessing big ol' #25 will see the bulk of the flying bodies coming his way. Make him and Niedermayer play long hard shifts. Carlyle will be forced to either play them gassed or more of the bottom 3 guys later in the series. Makes little to no sense to target the #6. He's not a difference maker.
Carlyle would be okay with throwing the kid line out there. It's a big and powerful line, and they are a line that is confident that they can win the puck and create opportunities.

The only way to force Niedermayer, Pronger, and Beauchemin to have long hard shifts is to make sure you keep puck pressure on in Anaheim's zone. It's not just about bodying up to them. You need to keep them on the ice, and the only way to do that is to pin them in their own zone. It's hard to gas Niedermayer. He's an incredible player, in that he can spend 2 minutes on the ice on a hard shift, and be ready to go 30-40 seconds later. Not just "okay" to go, but he'll look fresh. You'll rarely see him breath hard.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The Ducks do have some great young talent. Getzlaf is just getting better and better, and I've been watching Perry and Penner too. At the beginning of the year when all the experts were picking the Ducks to go all the way, I felt the biggest question mark would be the young forwards and just how quickly they could develop-- mentally and physically. I think they're a bit further ahead than I thought they'd be, and maybe that's what a superstellar D buys for you too. The playoffs are kind of weird, with the way guys have to learn to take on real pressure, and really to learn just how much of it is determination. A lot of teams over the years have learned that you can look really great on paper, but then lose to an inferior group that just works harder. Ask the Wings and their fans! I really don't know how this one will go, but it should be pretty interesting.
Agreed. At the beginning of our series, the Minny fans were saying the same thing. Shut down Getzlaf's line (and more specifically getzlaf). I didn't buy it..thought Selanne's line was the one to shut down and the first game just re-inforced my opinion. However, from the 2nd game on, we shut down Selanne, but Getzlaf continued his strong play and didn't wilt under pressure. That suprised the hell out of me, as I assumed he wouldn't cope with the pressure...

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:01 PM
14ari13

The Duckies are afraid

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...0650a5b221&p=2
Quote:
Also known as "age" if they lose and "veteran savvy" if they win.
Quote:
They have six players with 100-plus games of playoff experience,
Quote:
After his Sharks bowed to the Wings' iron discipline in Game 6, Wilson said: "That's a good team, with a ton of veterans, a bunch of gamers, who've won plenty of Stanley Cups between them. They prevent you from playing your 'A' game."
Quote:
The Wings are smarter, more experienced, and maybe just a tick scarier in goal -- if scary means the ability to steal a game.
The Ducks talk about Demolition Man, they talk about Dom, talk about Joe Lewis (they are "not" afraid, yeah sure), ...
But I believe the Wings made many people scratching their heads after beating the Flames and Sharkies. I think the Sabres and Sens feel lucky they do not have to play the Wings, simply because the Wings are the hottest team right now.
Dom won 3 in a row, 1 in OT on the road, 1 at home allowing just 1 goal and the closing game with a SO. Knowing his history this really looks very scary.
The hottest line before Z got injured in the league seems like they are catching the fire. Scary?? Worse than scary. D and Z look like great playoff performers now, D leading the WC's forwards in goals and points. Since Demolition Man came back the Wings have not lost.
Franzen (FranzHammer/playoff king) and Chelie lead the WC in +/-.
St. Nick looked marvelous, he looked very hugry as well.
Datsyuk leads the league in shots. Finally he shoots. It makes him so much better.

I've also heard an interview with one Duckie player, he was asked who he would prefer in the finals, he said the Sharks because ... blah, blah cliche/BS.
I think the Wings can be stopped in the 1st round, but after that, it is very, very hard.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
DTownWingsfan

You know, I swear these teams never pay any attention to the last couple playoff series the Wings have played already. Why is it always that the other team is "bigger, younger and more physical"? And that makes them the team that is going to win? I know we're all tired of seeing it and hearing it, but it still pisses me off because that is always why the Wings are going to lose.

Kinda like in 8 Mile, " didn't you listen to the last round meathead? pay attention, you're saying the same **** that he said"

Anyways, from our own detnews:

Quote:
A main goal for the Ducks heading into Game 1 is to set a physical tone with the Red Wings. On paper, there's clearly a size advantage.

Defenseman Chris Pronger stressed the importance of getting a body on all of Detroit's goal scorers, especially wing Tomas Holmstrom, who loves to get in front of the net.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...510/1128/rss16

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:36 PM
PlaywithGutz*

hey boys..and girls....sharks fan here...got to hand it to your boys..they showed heart and why they are the Red Wings......
take it to the D1ckks....remember no Gutz no glory......so make them feel ya..

Good luck and see ya in the Finals!

PlaywithGutz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Nordic*

Anyone else getting liquered up for this game? Im gonna sit here across the globe, waking my neighbours up with random outbursts, whilst drinking weiser

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Anyone else getting liquered up for this game? Im gonna sit here across the globe, waking my neighbours up with random outbursts, whilst drinking weiser
I have some work to do, but i will join the festivities as soon as i can!

It should be a really great game.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Sadekuuro

I think I'm going to have to leave before the game ends in order to make the islands at a reasonable hour tomorrow night. I can Tivo the rest but it's not the same.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Dirk316

[QUOTE=MotownMadman;9220557
Of course, I'd still like to sick Maltby on him.[/QUOTE]

That sounds scary Im sure Pronger is scared of getting turtled on

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 03:35 AM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
That sounds scary Im sure Pronger is scared of getting turtled on
Pronger's made of glass and Maltby will run him every chance he gets. Besides, it's not like Chris is some noted pugilist...

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Oh my god. I didn't find the time to read the full thread yet. So I only read like the first two pages. And I think... Face it guys... we officially have no chance!

The Ducks will play completely different. They will not make the mistake of playing like the Flames or the Sharks. I learne that. They will not follow their gameplan. Cause that is overwritten by the word "choke". I guess Plyfair and Wilson only stressed the "thrive for choking" speech in the pre-game instructions. Ducks are smarter. You know... Calgary (despite being considered the physical powerhouse the wings could impossible beat) is officialy soft and plays a finesse game. Same to the sharks who are, as it seems, officially a bunch of dwarfs now. Its the way it is.

Anyway, no team so far figured out that we are old, can be worn down and it takes nothing but a few hits for it. Hey... we are Euro. We are soft. No Euros ever hit. You know, it was proven long ago by guys like Konstantinov and Kasparaitis. By the way, Euro Hockey ALWAYS was lightyears behind NA-hockey. It was proven first in the Summit Series where the difference was oh so huge. Russians never had a blink of a single goal, more ore... well... less. And also the Olympic games of Nagano and Torino offered further proof to that. Euros suck when the games become important. No Euros ever were clutch. I mean... remember famous postseason-chokers like Tikkanen, Kurri or Slava Kozlov. Well... and obviously guys like Lidstrom. By the way, he is old and he was never able to handle big minutes. Our entire defense is old. Especially Lebda and Quincey. But also Markov and Lilja can tell you about the building of the pyramids from own view.

Face it. We do not have a chance. Never on earth. The mere try is pathetic. We should walk away and let the Ducks advance. We should have read before the sharks-series what Dirk and others had to say. That would have given us the chance to lose the series and walk away with the heads up. Now we are gonna get killed. ****. Why couldn't you guys tell us before that you found things NOONE ever found before. Why! Shame on you!

OK, and now: Go out and beat them.

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I have some work to do, but i will join the festivities as soon as i can!

It should be a really great game.
Im a 30 year old teacher (phys ed), yet I feel like a little kid on christmas eve when watching the playoffs, haha...

Im thinking of putting some doe on this game on nordicbet.com, but Im torn.. I dont want to bet against the wings, but I do think they will lose.

Oh well, theres always another beer to couchin the blow for every goal against.

And theres nothing better than to celebrate a wings goal with a beer either.

This might be a lllooooong night

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 12:08 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
You know, I swear these teams never pay any attention to the last couple playoff series the Wings have played already. Why is it always that the other team is "bigger, younger and more physical"? And that makes them the team that is going to win? I know we're all tired of seeing it and hearing it, but it still pisses me off because that is always why the Wings are going to lose.

Kinda like in 8 Mile, " didn't you listen to the last round meathead? pay attention, you're saying the same **** that he said"

Anyways, from our own detnews:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...510/1128/rss16
That might be the best avatar I've ever seen.

At least, the best one I've ever seen that doesn't involve semi-naked ladies. But those are kind of in a class by themselves.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Wings in 6. Wings are able to stop almost all of Anaheim's offense and the Wings find a way to continue to score timely goals.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Zorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I think you're finding offense where none is intended. Chelios was indeed quite good the last game. Can he keep it up at 45, with increased ice time and being hit? Remains to be seen. Same with Hasek. I find that as great players age, they lose a little in general play, but the real difference is they can't dominate for as long stretches as they could while younger. Because of fatigue.

Maybe everyone is talking about hitting is because it's seen as one possible weakness. I didn't say the Wings will pass out. And the Wings certainly are grittier than in years past, when lack of physicality was often used as a reason for why they lost. But those years past are the basis for the "theory." That and the fact that the Wings are older, and older players (in general) tend to get fatigued faster, whether through playing time or through being hit. Will it affect the Wings? It may, it may not.

Finally, Selanne is older, yes. But the reason for the "one way street" as you put it is because he's a forward, playing fewer minutes, and will be coming off of a week of rest. So yes, he could be worn down too. But it's less likely than Chelios or Lidstrom. Simply because of the minutes. And yes, all 3 are extremely well conditioned.
Cheli is a freak of nature! He was OFTEN considered too old and not capable of playing big minutes any more. First it was in 2002. He was 40 years old and coming off a torn crusade ligament as much as I rememberr and considered not capable of playing more then say 15 minutes. Then Krupp went down. Cheli played. And he played HUGE minutes. And he became better with every minute more. Fatigue? I don't think he ever read that word in a dictionary. Let alone experience it! He ended up as a Norris runner up.
And since then it happened again and again. Last year more or less, in our injury riddled season 03/04. And EVERY FREAKIN TIME he responded. And the same happenes now. He was solid all season. Solid, not special. But he was HUGE the first Game he got 20 plus minutes not not much worse the game before (game 5) when playing little shy of 20.

Honestly, he always seems to play the role he is given. 25+ minutes? No problem. He plays like a top-2 d-man. 18+? Well... Top 4, say 3rd. 12-15? Solid shutdown 5th d-man. Nothing special but nothing to worry about either. I REALLY believe that. It is against all Laws of nature. I give you that. But so is playing NHL at 45! And this is not going to be the end! I personally think he will be the 2nd NHL-player playing at 50 years of age - AND CONTRIBUTING! I have never been a big fan of his. I didn't doubt his vita, but I didn't like his game. Too much grabbing and discussing for me. But he changed that! That guy was able to restructure his entire game at the age of 40+!! And he is still up there as a top D-man. Believe it or not. He may not be a speedster any more. But he is not immoble either. Look what he can do. He won't show up on the scoresheet all that much. But when Nick shuts down Selnne and his line, Cheli will do the same to the 2nd line! Don't believe it? Wait and see... He is not as good as Nick. No question. But the difference is on offense. Where Nick puts up a point per game Cheli may stay at 3-4 in the series (in a 6+ game series). But defensively? there it not all that much in between the two. Honestly!

Old
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
That might be the best avatar I've ever seen.

At least, the best one I've ever seen that doesn't involve semi-naked ladies. But those are kind of in a class by themselves.

Why thank you. One of the guys over at let'sgowings made it, and I had to use it.
You should like this one as well then.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Zorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
That's not what I meant. Getzlaf plays a different game as Thornton. Thornton is always a pass first kind of player (maybe easier to defend against?), while with Getzlaf, you don't have that kind of predictablility. He can shoot, pass and drive to the net as well, which imo, makes him a lot harder to defend against.

Ah! You mean, he is more the Iginla-type player? Tough call...

Old
05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
5H4RK5

Go Wings. Throw a large live oversized octopus on Pronger and Selanne if you have time.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Really good game guys. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the series. GL!

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote