HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Just some feedback questions from me to you

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Just some feedback questions from me to you

Out of curiosity i want to ask you guys, the loyal HF readers out there, what you like/dislike or would like to see different here at HF.

How many of you actually read the articles from all the team and league writers and how many just read the Oiler ones when I post a link to them? Did you all even know that there is more to HF than just these message boards?

What kind of articles do you prefer me writing? The Q&A's with players and management or do you like the story pieces more (like when Stoll was sitting or about Salmo and Sarno's call ups)?

I am in the middle of 3 BIG projects for HF right now. Two are articles (one the K.P. interview and the other a WJC story). The other project is an update on the organizational rankings that, if you've seen the main page, you know still has the Jan 2003 listing. I am part of a commitee doing that one so it won't be too lopsided with Oiler stuff!

Others at HF are currently updating the top 50 prospects list which currently only shows Columbus players (that should be done in early Jan'04).

There are also plans to start profiling the players who are 2004 draft eligible. I don't know the target date for that though.

What else would you like to see? Who are your favorite writers on the site and favorite sections on the message boards? Would you like to see coverage of leagues not currently focused on too much right now (like CIS or tier II?).

By asking you for some feedback I must say that I can't promise changes. I can promise that your opinions and ideas will be read by the Powers-That-Be (whoa to the Buffy/Angel fans) here at HF though and the HF staff are always looking for great new ideas.

Please share some!

Old
12-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Lowetide

I read all the articles that have to do with Edmonton, and the junior and college stuff if it's about players who haven't been drafted yet. I go to the front page everyday to see what's new, and must say the amount of work being done has gone through the roof. No one is close to catching you Guy, but at least there's some competition now.

I can't say I know any other author's name, but the Ranger writer is quite hilarious, like him.

I like the boards the most, not so much the trade/prospect stuff, but the team boards, NYR, Boston, Ottawa.

What would I like to see? More of the same, to be honest. I mean, this stuff you're zipping out is so much better than what will be on my door step tomorrow morning it's criminal.

If there's one thing that isn't being done that would be nice to see, it's a more realistic rating system over on the Leaf board. Last time I checked, Jean Beliveau wouldn't have made their top 10.

Cheers, Guy.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Slats432

Guy,

I read as many articles from every team as I can. One of the things that I enjoy that one team does that no one else does much of is the Washington and Philly writers give a full weekly stats review of their prospects.

The Boards are what I go to first, and what every team board should sticky each new article at the top of their board.

HF has to be more succinct, more accountable, and more regimented.

Top 50 of the year happens on the same day every year. Organizational rankings should be done the same day every year.

Writers have to be instituted for all teams. Articles should be on a regular basis. Ratings systems should be standarized and done by a panel of HF people not just the "Writer/Fan" of that team.

Draft previews have to be in depth and should coincide with the CSB ranking releases.

Just some brief thoughts.

Old
12-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Guy,

I read as many articles from every team as I can. One of the things that I enjoy that one team does that no one else does much of is the Washington and Philly writers give a full weekly stats review of their prospects.

The Boards are what I go to first, and what every team board should sticky each new article at the top of their board.

Top 50 of the year happens on the same day every year. Organizational rankings should be done the same day every year.

Writers have to be instituted for all teams. Articles should be on a regular basis. Ratings systems should be standarized and done by a panel of HF people not just the "Writer/Fan" of that team.

Draft previews have to be in depth and should coincide with the CSB ranking releases.

Just some brief thoughts.
I agree with most of these sentiments.. if anything, a little more standardization would be nice. It's difficult to assess how strong some prospects are in relation to others because of the different rating styles each team seems to provide. Otherwise, I really enjoy the interview articles you've been pumping out.. like someone else mentioned, it really makes you feel like you're getting to know the Oilers' prospects on a much more personal basis than just through monitoring their stats! It is nice to read about guys like Stoll and Lynch.. really refreshing in comparison to the Comrie crap that has been present in every other major newspaper of late!

Old
12-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

Guy,

To be honest, the reasons I don't do that is because I'm working on other stuff more often than not and also because our buddy Seachd has that handy sticky at the top of the message board that he updates on a pretty regular basis. I didn't want to duplicate his efforts, and also... I have to admit to being a bit indifferent to the pieces that just list stats. My flaw I know and if the readers want that kind of thing from me then I can try to put one out like it once in a while.

Quote:
That's a good idea... mods agree? (I don't have the sticky powers).

Quote:
Top 50 of the year happens on the same day every year. Organizational rankings should be done the same day every year. Writers have to be instituted for all teams. Articles should be on a regular basis. Ratings systems should be standarized and done by a panel of HF people not just the "Writer/Fan" of that team. Draft previews have to be in depth and should coincide with the CSB ranking releases.
There's a new guy running the show and he's really getting a lot of what you're describing to begin happening. (explain to me what you meant by accountable though). The org rankings and top 50 rankings will be updated on a regular basis from now on and probably more than just once a year, we just have to get the first new update done on each list first and then the ball will get rolling properly. Getting writers for all teams: I agree 100% and in a perfect world the writers for those teams would be in the same city as the team and have press passes and etc, unfortunately that's not always the case. Not all writers have equal free time or are equally committed with their contributions which is too bad but...

the player ratings and team top 20's are done by committee if the team has more than just one guy writing or editing for it. In my case, there is no other writer or editor but rather than do it all myself I spoke with K.P., a scout or two and also read a lot of other reports. I also attended both the summer and fall training camps daily to get my own opinions too. There is room for improvement with the rankings though, I agree.... the draft previews ( and I assume you're refering to my mention inthe first post?) I think will be bios like on the regular team pages. Some info on the player and if there is a publicly available scouting report, I'm sure that will be there too.

Thanks for the input Slats, you're one of the guys who always has something of value to add to a discussion and this was no different.

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 12-31-2003 at 03:42 PM.
Old
12-21-2003, 10:50 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Out of curiosity i want to ask you guys, the loyal HF readers out there, what you like/dislike or would like to see different here at HF.

How many of you actually read the articles from all the team and league writers and how many just read the Oiler ones when I post a link to them? Did you all even know that there is more to HF than just these message boards?

What kind of articles do you prefer me writing? The Q&A's with players and management or do you like the story pieces more (like when Stoll was sitting or about Salmo and Sarno's call ups)?

I am in the middle of 3 BIG projects for HF right now. Two are articles (one the K.P. interview and the other a WJC story). The other project is an update on the organizational rankings that, if you've seen the main page, you know still has the Jan 2003 listing. I am part of a commitee doing that one so it won't be too lopsided with Oiler stuff!

Others at HF are currently updating the top 50 prospects list which currently only shows Columbus players (that should be done in early Jan'04).

There are also plans to start profiling the players who are 2004 draft eligible. I don't know the target date for that though.

What else would you like to see? Who are your favorite writers on the site and favorite sections on the message boards? Would you like to see coverage of leagues not currently focused on too much right now (like CIS or tier II?).

By asking you for some feedback I must say that I can't promise changes. I can promise that your opinions and ideas will be read by the Powers-That-Be (whoa to the Buffy/Angel fans) here at HF though and the HF staff are always looking for great new ideas.

Please share some!

Likes and dislikes:

Likes: I like the links to the various leagues and team pages to look up prospects and such.

Dislike: Not all the links are good. The russian one is supremely good. Links to everything. A few of the other European one are good too. NCAA link/page is NOT good. How about links to team pages and leagues. Very vague and very little info there. NHL drafted out of the High School league in the US. How about a few link there. Linking to CHL team homepages would be nice. Keep a permanent link to WJC pages. Have them continue into archives and such.

DISLIKES: Not all the team do this and not all of them are well done. Yes sometimes I DO want to know about that 6th overall pick. Yes I understand the problem with writers and such but I would like to see some improvement as we go.

Old
12-22-2003, 03:41 AM
Mr Sakich

Your interviews are the best part of this site's non-forum content.

I know the focus is prospects, but I would luv to see Igor have a stats page.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:32 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
NCAA link/page is NOT good.

oh dear looks like Oilers Chick is gonna be upset, way to go HOZ

Guy look on the board there's a brand new thread for you (u dont mind lowetide?)

me personally despite being a frequent user of the boards since i joined i have only been a total of 10 times to the actual HF site. One reason is the standardisation of prospect ratings that LT has touched on and always said, i totally agree with him.

Other than that Guy you have been a great great asset for this board and if i were in Edmonton i'd be buying you lunch....HINT HINT OIL FANS!!

Closed Thread