HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers' next goal: Top scorer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2007, 07:34 PM
  #1
The Big Apple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Rangers' next goal: Top scorer

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Good Article......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 07:58 PM
  #2
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
excellent article I agree with everything, In fact i think most of it was stolen from this board from my very own postings!
I believe I should get a writing credit.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
  #3
The Big Apple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
I think they should just sign vally and have him back up Lundy.... Instead of signing Esche or some other back up...... Considering the back up is only going to see 10-15 games a year......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:38 PM
  #4
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Well the problem with getting a No.1 center is that there aren't any on the market right now. Nylander is a better No. 1 than any of the UFAs out there.

I am in favor of signing a guy like Drury, but as a 2nd line center.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
  #5
Smashley
Registered User
 
Smashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rawlbany, NY
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
I think they should just sign vally and have him back up Lundy.... Instead of signing Esche or some other back up...... Considering the back up is only going to see 10-15 games a year......
Sorry as terrible as weekes is, hes a zillion times better than vally.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
  #6
The Big Apple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Sorry as terrible as weekes is, hes a zillion times better than vally.
Well he didn't show it this year..... Is he worth the two million we were paying him???? Vally may not be as good as weeks but he comes much cheaper and is worth the money.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
  #7
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,009
vCash: 500
imho Valiquette is twice the goalie Weekes is. Weekes tends to be mediocre-terrible for the full 60 minutes. Valiquette starts of just horrendous, and as the game goes on, he gets better, and better, and better. ive noticed this quite often in his games (not just the st.louis one). he always starts of horribly, and just gets better as the game goes on. valiquette is better, and cheaper imho.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
  #8
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of Valli or Weekes... Just hope they go in a completely different direction. I'd like a guy who can really put it together if things go right. Weekes and Valli can't do that.

And disagree with the need for another scorer... 1st line is fine as long as Nylander and Jagr are there. They are going to score goals.

The 2nd line needs a playmaker in the middle.. They have goal scorers on the RW in Shanny and whoever plays the LW between Prucha and Avery.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 05:58 AM
  #9
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
totally agree.

I actually wrote about this in another posting. we need to have a bonified 1 Line center who can play 2nd line for as long as Nylander puts out. But we can't rely on him continuing on having career years at this stage of his career. He certainly
would be a bonified 2nd line center.

Our talent is not ready to be 1st or 2nd line Centers next year.

I think Timmonen is a bargain and rather have him and Rafalski at 4+

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:10 AM
  #10
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
At what price?A Drury,Biere or a Gomez is going to cost between $6-7 million per in 5-6 year contract with all of the bells and whistles known as NMC and NTC

They are not worth that kind of money

Free agency is fools gold.When you sign the player,you are happy but then you realize that the player is not what you expected him to be

If the Rangers were to re-sign Nylander,sign a free agent center and have Cullen,Brandon Dubinsky might as well be moved to another team where he will become the next Doug Weight and 7 years later after the other three are long gone,the Rangers will be trying to land Dubinsky as a free agent when they already had him in the organization

That is ********

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:44 AM
  #11
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
At what price?A Drury,Biere or a Gomez is going to cost between $6-7 million per in 5-6 year contract with all of the bells and whistles known as NMC and NTC

They are not worth that kind of money

Free agency is fools gold.When you sign the player,you are happy but then you realize that the player is not what you expected him to be

If the Rangers were to re-sign Nylander,sign a free agent center and have Cullen,Brandon Dubinsky might as well be moved to another team where he will become the next Doug Weight and 7 years later after the other three are long gone,the Rangers will be trying to land Dubinsky as a free agent when they already had him in the organization

That is ********

Exactly, excellent post. Everyone is getting way too excited for a cup run next year. Look what Nashville paid and they didn't even get out of the 1st round with a better all around team. I feel like our most pressing need is scoring from the bottom 2 lines... same defensive awareness but more scoring. See what a Dubinsky and Dawes could do instead of a Hossa and Hollweg.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
  #12
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
What is the status of Chris Holt (aka FORT) and why wouldn't he be a viable option to replace Weekes?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
  #13
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think you are deluding yourselves if Dubi can bring to the table what Gomez or Drury could. Look, I don't want to overpay for them, but we also need to be realistic about the real upside for some of our young talent is. Dubi could be an excellet third line center for a line with tocuh and speed, but he is in no way ready to shoulder the load of a 1A/2 center.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
  #14
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think you are deluding yourselves if Dubi can bring to the table what Gomez or Drury could. Look, I don't want to overpay for them, but we also need to be realistic about the real upside for some of our young talent is. Dubi could be an excellet third line center for a line with tocuh and speed, but he is in no way ready to shoulder the load of a 1A/2 center.
Go ahead and commit long term contracts at ridiculous prices and get ready to be disappointed

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:21 AM
  #15
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Go ahead and commit long term contracts at ridiculous prices and get ready to be disappointed
Okay. I hereby sign Scott Gomez for the next 50 years to a Rangers contract totalling 1.5 billion dollars! So let it be written, so let it be done.

Until management starts seeking the counsel of the team's fanbase, I wouldn't get too twisted over what's said on a silly message board.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
  #16
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Exactly, excellent post. Everyone is getting way too excited for a cup run next year. Look what Nashville paid and they didn't even get out of the 1st round with a better all around team. I feel like our most pressing need is scoring from the bottom 2 lines... same defensive awareness but more scoring. See what a Dubinsky and Dawes could do instead of a Hossa and Hollweg.
I agree with you 95% but I believe Hossa has more skill in his little pinky than Dawes and or Dubinsky. I think he could be our secret weapon next season... maybe 30 goals or more. He looked great on the top line.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:17 AM
  #17
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
I'd bring Drury here but only for 4.5 Million at 3 years. Hes a Ranger fan, right? Then he should accept, I know I would. Hes made a good few million as it is and I'm sure the endorsements in NYC are a lot better than the ones in Buffalo.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
  #18
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21
 
Blue Dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,327
vCash: 500
if you sign esche he will just cry to the papers he should play more. NYC would eat esche alive.

esche is done, i wish teams would let him go into the night...

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM
  #19
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Okay. I hereby sign Scott Gomez for the next 50 years to a Rangers contract totalling 1.5 billion dollars! So let it be written, so let it be done.

Until management starts seeking the counsel of the team's fanbase, I wouldn't get too twisted over what's said on a silly message board.
It's not about the silly message board.It's about going back to old formula.The same old mentality.Buy yourself out of trouble.Go lavish $30 million on the flavor of the moment free agent(Drury has never had a 70 point season) and all of the problems are solved.The media is worse.Go get a veteran center(on a long term deal) because Brendan Shanahan wants a center.Brendan may not even play next season and if he does play,it will only be for another season

The Devils needed a center last fall and they gave Travis Zajac an opportunity.They didn't do too badly w/Zajac as their 2nd line center.You can make the argument that Zajac's line with Zach Parise and Jamie Langenbrunner was the Devils top line/more consistent.Better than the EGG line.When it comes to the Rangers,it's go get the 2007 mercenary instead of a giving the young player the opportunity to fill that role.If Zajac was a Ranger,he would have spent 06-07 in Hartford and they would telling us "Jim Schoenfeld doesn't think he is ready"

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
  #20
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think you are deluding yourselves if Dubi can bring to the table what Gomez or Drury could. Look, I don't want to overpay for them, but we also need to be realistic about the real upside for some of our young talent is. Dubi could be an excellet third line center for a line with tocuh and speed, but he is in no way ready to shoulder the load of a 1A/2 center.
gomez, drury, etc. they are #2 centers who will be paid #1 center money. unless they are willing to take paycuts to come here, there is no way i see sather going after them at those prices, i think hes smarter than that.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
  #21
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Aren't there better UFA's available next summer? The problem is the clock is ticking on Jagr and co. so it's hard to wait when time is of the essence. I'm guessing we may have to make a trade to bring in the offensive talent we're looking for.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
  #22
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I agree with you 95% but I believe Hossa has more skill in his little pinky than Dawes and or Dubinsky. I think he could be our secret weapon next season... maybe 30 goals or more. He looked great on the top line.
I think Hossa has more skill than Callahan but guess who the better player is. Hossa can't bring it together and he just doesn't have that special something that would make him a great player in this league. Everybody keeps saying this is Hossa's year and we keep seeing the same act over and over. He can't pull it together for long periods of time and eventually it has to stop being excuses for why he isn't a great player and it has to start being that he isn't a great player.

Also this, their respective AHL careers:
Hossa: 104 pts in 144 gms
Dawes: 127 pts in 149 gms

Junior:
Hossa: 166 pts in 188 gms
Dawes: 272 pts in 245 gms

Those stats don't necessarily mean a whole lot in the NHL but I don't really see the basis for Hossa being better when you compare them side by side. I'll just wait and see what happens in training camp, assuming the positions are even available for either player.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
  #23
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
The other option to free agency is to make a trade. The Rangers have a hole--a top line center to fill and they don't have a player in the organization that seems close to filling it. There are young centermen around who may slot in very well but the cost will probably be less in terms of cap money and more in terms of young talent. I don't particularly have a problem with that approach either as long as we identify the right player and as long as we don't overpay--at least very much.

As for a goaltender backup. Weekes is done here. Good teammate but he's more than well paid for what he's done. Valiquette is a journeyman minor leaguer. I'd rather not. Holt (our ECHL goalie and AHL playoff backup) even gets a mention--but why no mention of Montoya? It is time for Al to step up and for Henrik maybe to step aside for 25 or so games a year. I'd like to see what Al can do.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
  #24
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think Hossa has more skill than Callahan but guess who the better player is. Hossa can't bring it together and he just doesn't have that special something that would make him a great player in this league. Everybody keeps saying this is Hossa's year and we keep seeing the same act over and over. He can't pull it together for long periods of time and eventually it has to stop being excuses for why he isn't a great player and it has to start being that he isn't a great player.

Also this, their respective AHL careers:
Hossa: 104 pts in 144 gms
Dawes: 127 pts in 149 gms

Junior:
Hossa: 166 pts in 188 gms
Dawes: 272 pts in 245 gms

Those stats don't necessarily mean a whole lot in the NHL but I don't really see the basis for Hossa being better when you compare them side by side. I'll just wait and see what happens in training camp, assuming the positions are even available for either player.

From what I saw from Dawes this season in the limited time he got & from what I saw from Hossa, I would prefer Hossa. Hossa wasn't a first round pick for nothing. The kids got crazy skill and I believe he is on the verge of breaking out big time.

Not taking anything away from Dawes, he just wasn't ready or given the proper ice time this season but based on the games he did play, I would select Hossa over him.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
  #25
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I agree with you 95% but I believe Hossa has more skill in his little pinky than Dawes and or Dubinsky. I think he could be our secret weapon next season... maybe 30 goals or more. He looked great on the top line.
Based on what are you saying that? What are you pointing to to even menion Hossa and 30 goals in the same breath? Can we first get to 15? He may have more skill, but that means nothing. Brian Lawton had all the skill in the world. Alex Daigle had much more "skill" than many others.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.