HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Dumping Coming Soon?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2003, 03:03 AM
  #1
puckgoalnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Salary Dumping Coming Soon?

The lead CBJ article in the Dispatch this morning concerns a subject we've all been talking about ... if the Jackets keep losing, it's very likely that a we'll be salary dumping soon.

The article went on to state the the players like each other, like playing together and DM think's he's built a pretty good squad, but if it keeps going as is that a shake-up/salary dump is the only logical course.

Here's the quote from Doug McLean on the subject: "I think (the players) know that," MacLean said. "I havenít threatened them with that. (But) everyone in this business understands it."

So Aaron, all those "Trade XXX" posts you've been making may not be that far off base.

puckgoalnet is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:11 AM
  #2
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 500
salary cap/salary dumping

This sort of ties in with the Sanderson debate, but there was an article in the Dispatch today speculating that salaries would be dumped at the deadline should this season continue as is.

In the article, Arace mentions a possible $36-million cap. I know a cap has been in the discussions, but that is the first time I've heard a figure that low. I'm not a Dispatch-hater, but I have to believe that that figure just is not correct. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine a cap at that level would put close to a majority of the teams in trouble and no one is going to agree to that.

Anyway, Arace speculates that should the cap be at that number, Columbus would inch close to hit with bonuses and whatnot, then neccesitating some salary dumpage if the team continues to suck. Now, again, I don't buy the $36-million number, but who goes and why?

I think Richardson and/or Lachance. Neither have the best contracts to trade, but both are at workable numbers should the CBJ be willing to eat part of the money. Both can be solid defensively and could have value to playoff teams. Plus, Richardson is the captain and we know they don't stay long.

I think Sydor and Marchant both would be desired, but they have many years left on their contracts and I think that would be hard to move.

Sandy is currently being debated elsewhere.

Cassels probably could be had, but I don't think he should be traded. He is the only playmaking center we currently have. If you think the offense is bad now, I can't imagine it without him.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:13 AM
  #3
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet
The lead CBJ article in the Dispatch this morning concerns a subject we've all been talking about ... if the Jackets keep losing, it's very likely that a we'll be salary dumping soon.

The article went on to state the the players like each other, like playing together and DM think's he's built a pretty good squad, but if it keeps going as is that a shake-up/salary dump is the only logical course.

Here's the quote from Doug McLean on the subject: "I think (the players) know that," MacLean said. "I havenít threatened them with that. (But) everyone in this business understands it."

So Aaron, all those "Trade XXX" posts you've been making may not be that far off base.
Damn... you got yours in before mine!
MODS!!! Puckgoalnet stole my thread!!!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:14 AM
  #4
puckgoalnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Hey, it was about time I started a thread around here!

puckgoalnet is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:36 AM
  #5
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: IR with CBJ
Country: Qatar
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
This is where signing free agents come in handy...when they don't work out you could trade them for something halfway decent.

Jovavic is online now  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:47 AM
  #6
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
This is where signing free agents come in handy...when they don't work out you could trade them for something halfway decent.
This is true -- unless you sign them to what could be an untradeable contract.

Now, I'm not advocating trading Marchant and I support the Marchant signing -- let's face it, a team like Columbus has to overpay in the free agent market if it wants to sign anyone. To Columbus, the signing made sense because he's pegged to be the number 2 center, which he's played this year. But, he's locked up for 5 years and I'd bet that any team who would want him would want him in a third line role. No one will take him at that lenght and that cost to be a grinder again.
Does that make sense?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 05:11 AM
  #7
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet
The lead CBJ article in the Dispatch this morning concerns a subject we've all been talking about ... if the Jackets keep losing, it's very likely that a we'll be salary dumping soon.

The article went on to state the the players like each other, like playing together and DM think's he's built a pretty good squad, but if it keeps going as is that a shake-up/salary dump is the only logical course.

Here's the quote from Doug McLean on the subject: "I think (the players) know that," MacLean said. "I havenít threatened them with that. (But) everyone in this business understands it."

So Aaron, all those "Trade XXX" posts you've been making may not be that far off base.

Lachance, it ws nice to watch you play.

Samkow is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 04:16 PM
  #8
Kinger1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
i think that Spacho might be a good bet for trade fodder because he will be an RFA after the season.

Letowski or Wright might be sought after by a playoff contending team.

Ling, JLGP and Pirjeta most likely won't be back next year so there is some salary space cleared as well, although none of those guys make any real change.

The big question is Marc Denis contract up at the end of the year? What kind of deal is he going to want and is he going to take the step towards becoming an elite goaltender? Otherwise we might as well consider trading for Brent Johnson or some other solid backup and give them the opportunity to split time with Leclaire.

Kinger1 is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 06:45 PM
  #9
3mta3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: how bad HF sucks
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Keep on defense: Klesla, Wescott and Spacek
Keep on offense: Vyborny, Nash, Zherdev, Letowski, Fritsche and Malhotra

Status quo in the pipes for the rest of the season is ok by me. Let's see what Denis can do with real competition. He's one soft goal a game away from being elite.

Everyone else can be dealt and I'll learn to live with it. If I can live with a team that paid Espen Knutsen not to play instead of to compete in the lower lines to round us out, I can live without the rest of the cast.

MacLean doesn't have the cojones to do it though. In season two I asked him if we weren't dealing away a little future for the short term and was told we were just thiiiiiiis close to making the playoffs. In season three I asked the same question and was told that he wasn't going to try to deal for a team - he was going to build one more traditionally. Now, in season four, when he's the coach, he spent even more trying to get that playoff team. Salary dumping would require him to admit fault as not only a coach, but as a GM. His ego won't allow that.

Anyone want to open up the betting pool on who this season's scapegoat will be? We had Marshall and Whitney before, who will be subject to Columbus revisionism next?

3mta3 is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 12:17 AM
  #10
jacketracket*
 
jacketracket*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ... double cream."
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
Keep on defense: Klesla, Wescott and Spacek
Keep on offense: Vyborny, Nash, Zherdev, Letowski, Fritsche and Malhotra

Status quo in the pipes for the rest of the season is ok by me. Let's see what Denis can do with real competition. He's one soft goal a game away from being elite.

Everyone else can be dealt and I'll learn to live with it. If I can live with a team that paid Espen Knutsen not to play instead of to compete in the lower lines to round us out, I can live without the rest of the cast.

MacLean doesn't have the cojones to do it though. In season two I asked him if we weren't dealing away a little future for the short term and was told we were just thiiiiiiis close to making the playoffs. In season three I asked the same question and was told that he wasn't going to try to deal for a team - he was going to build one more traditionally. Now, in season four, when he's the coach, he spent even more trying to get that playoff team. Salary dumping would require him to admit fault as not only a coach, but as a GM. His ego won't allow that.

Anyone want to open up the betting pool on who this season's scapegoat will be? We had Marshall and Whitney before, who will be subject to Columbus revisionism next?
IMO, we're seeing this year's scapegoat w/the way Sandy is being dropped down the lines from time to time.

I agree w/your keep/let go scenario 100%, w/the exception that I'd add either Sydor or LUUUUKE!! to the keeper list (probably Sydor).

On paper, these guys looked close to me prior to the season. Now, w/the way the younger guys have played, I'm not nearly as reluctant to the idea of a bona fide "salary dump" as i might have been.

jacketracket* is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 05:00 AM
  #11
3mta3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: how bad HF sucks
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
I agree w/your keep/let go scenario 100%, w/the exception that I'd add either Sydor or LUUUUKE!! to the keeper list (probably Sydor).
I agree that there are more capable players we could retain, but I was thinking about the length of their deals when I omitted them. The longer the deal, the less flexibility we have in restructuring later.

The thing I DIDN'T say, and should have mentioned, is that I would prefer to see no one moved. I'd like to have the club stay as is (with Walser as number 7) just playing to their abilities.

3mta3 is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 05:04 AM
  #12
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
I agree that there are more capable players we could retain, but I was thinking about the length of their deals when I omitted them. The longer the deal, the less flexibility we have in restructuring later.

The thing I DIDN'T say, and should have mentioned, is that I would prefer to see no one moved. I'd like to have the club stay as is (with Walser as number 7) just playing to their abilities.
With all the D healthy, I'd like to see Eriksson stay as the seventh man rather than Walser. Of course, with Duvie out indefinitely, I hope Eriksson will remain as the sixth guy.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 10:46 AM
  #13
3mta3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: how bad HF sucks
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
With all the D healthy, I'd like to see Eriksson stay as the seventh man rather than Walser. Of course, with Duvie out indefinitely, I hope Eriksson will remain as the sixth guy.
Eriksson continues to prove me wrong. I love it. I hope he continues to be a solid defenseman for us.

3mta3 is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
  #14
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
CBJSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
Keep on defense: Klesla, Wescott and Spacek
Keep on offense: Vyborny, Nash, Zherdev, Letowski, Fritsche and Malhotra
I disagree with the defense, IMO I think you would then be getting rid of the 3 best defensive defensmen we have. Keep Klesla, Westcott, Sydor, Richardson. Dump Spatcho and Lachance. Erikkson can play at this level, so I'd put him in the mix.

CBJSlash is offline  
Old
12-23-2003, 10:58 AM
  #15
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash
I disagree with the defense, IMO I think you would then be getting rid of the 3 best defensive defensmen we have. Keep Klesla, Westcott, Sydor, Richardson. Dump Spatcho and Lachance. Erikkson can play at this level, so I'd put him in the mix.
The way Erikkson has played, I think he might make someone expendable come deadline time.
I'd hate to see them dump Spacek, but the more I think about it, the more I think he could be a very desired trade commodity with his offensive abilty. Of course, the CBJ NEED offense from the blueline ...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.