HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor: Phoneix 1st for Montoya and Prucha

Old
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
You are correct, my bad, I was thinking about Turkinen(sp) from the year before.
Tukonen will be a good player, but we'll all see that Monty was the smarter pick.

We passed on a few good players in that 1st round with that 2nd pick that we got from Calgary.

Travis Zajac, Wojtek Wolski, Andrej Meszaros, and Rob Schremp...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Jaded-Fan

A good deal for Phoenix. And not totally off the wall. Reports had Prucha being shopped all last season with little interest. At least not enough of an offer back to garner a deal. Sounds like a lesser version of all the smoke around the Canes and the JJ situation. In the end that ended up being less of a return from the Kings than people thought he would garner. And for some reason the Rangers seem to have really soured and Prucha and the idea seems to move him at any cost. Which hurts his value just like JJ's was hurt with the Canes. So think of Prucha as a throw in. Montoya alone does not bring you the number three overall and perhaps a Kane no matter what Ranger fans believe. Montoya plus a Prucha sweetener, given the smoke around him last season? I could see it.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
MAybe Leneveu going the other way to back up Henrik?

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Nich

my guess is if they want prucha and montoya, we'll throw in immo

for at least their 1st, and 2nd round picks.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
A good deal for Phoenix. And not totally off the wall. Reports had Prucha being shopped all last season with little interest. At least not enough of an offer back to garner a deal. Sounds like a lesser version of all the smoke around the Canes and the JJ situation. In the end that ended up being less of a return from the Kings than people thought he would garner. And for some reason the Rangers seem to have really soured and Prucha and the idea seems to move him at any cost. Which hurts his value just like JJ's was hurt with the Canes. So think of Prucha as a throw in. Montoya alone does not bring you the number three overall and perhaps a Kane no matter what Ranger fans believe. Montoya plus a Prucha sweetener, given the smoke around him last season? I could see it.

soured on Prucha? i don't know where you heard this but they haven't. i am guessing they are willing to move him with the likes of nigel dawes behind him being a very simular styled player

Old
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Speedtrials

While I can see both Prucha and Montoya being moved at some point(still not sure of the problem the orginization has with Prucha) if we are going to package them I would want to get a young player who can play and contribute now. As a Ranger fan I would be really suprised and dissapointed if this trade happened.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
soured on Prucha? i don't know where you heard this but they haven't. i am guessing they are willing to move him with the likes of nigel dawes behind him being a very simular styled player
Not heard that they soured, just heard Pruchas name mentioned a number of times in trade talk, here in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. Reminded me of the year long Canes and JJ talk before he was moved. I inferred the souring from that.

To be honest I had hoped that Shero would have taken a chance on Prucha regaining his form on Crosby's wing. Wing's who can score is certainly a strong need for us. Apparently Shero feels otherwise as if the trade rumors and rumblings from last season are to be believed, he seemed to have the opportunity last year and declined.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
ikeane

If the Rangers are trading Montoya and Prucha for a lonely 1st round pick I'd take that from Chicago's standpoint. Crawford and Montoya would make a nice 1/2 punch and Chicago needs a top 6 player.

ikeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
The Yotes are better off keeping the pick. There is no quick fix solution for the Yotes at the moment so there is no point in trading away your first rd pick. The Yotes have a decent nucleus already and a player such as Turris would only make it better.

IMO the Rangers lose out on this one. An all-star AHL goalie, who by all accounts seems to be ready to make the jump to the NHL. Plus adding Prucha, who is a proven NHL 30 goal scorer for a prospect. Don't like it one bit!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Sounds like pure speculation from the north. Phoenix is still interviewing for GM's so is in no position to negotiate any deal.

How long before Prucha is UFA? I dont see him as being a better cog in a rebuilding team than that no.3 pick and a winger signed from free agency. Montoya.. great AHL goalie.. but we already tried trading for a great young goalie (Boucher) and that one blew up. Plus many excellent goalies have been acquired cheaply and many highly touted ones have flamed out here (DesRochers, Boucher, Pelletier, maybe LeNeveu too). Nice offer but as a fan I'd prefer to keep the no.3 pick.. the highest Phoenix has ever had.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Sounds like pure speculation from the north. Phoenix is still interviewing for GM's so is in no position to negotiate any deal.

How long before Prucha is UFA? I dont see him as being a better cog in a rebuilding team than that no.3 pick and a winger signed from free agency. Montoya.. great AHL goalie.. but we already tried trading for a great young goalie (Boucher) and that one blew up. Plus many excellent goalies have been acquired cheaply and many highly touted ones have flamed out here (DesRochers, Boucher, Pelletier, maybe LeNeveu too). Nice offer but as a fan I'd prefer to keep the no.3 pick.. the highest Phoenix has ever had.
Boucher is a completely different situation.

He already was up in the NHL long before he was traded to Phoenix, and he wasn't nearly as touted as Montoya is as a prospect.

Boucher aside, LeNeveu is the only one of all of those goaltenders that I thought would be a legit NHL goaltender.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Completely off topic, but would Rangers fans do a Prucha and Staal for Cammalleri deal? Just out of curiosity...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Boucher is a completely different situation.

He already was up in the NHL long before he was traded to Phoenix, and he wasn't nearly as touted as Montoya is as a prospect.

Boucher aside, LeNeveu is the only one of all of those goaltenders that I thought would be a legit NHL goaltender.
GRetz has it out for the guy, has publically blasted him and he hasn't gotten any NHL time. I think he's played in all of 16 nhl games and 13 started if I remember correctly. Has played well and was 1st star against EDM this year but go thrown to the wolves when the team started playing horribly.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Completely off topic, but would Rangers fans do a Prucha and Staal for Cammalleri deal? Just out of curiosity...
no way. i would do Montoya and Prucha for Brown. Sather could have taken Dustin Brown at the draft but chose Hugh Jessiman instead.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Nich

Quote:
right after we snort a 8 ball of coke....so hell no.....

Old
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Madness

Quote:
Overpayment from the Rangers.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yay for the voice of reason. Never thought I'd call you that but...

Anyways. I don't like the deal. Montoya isn't the world beater everyone made him out to be. LeNeveu isn't all that much of a downgrade either. I'd rather keep the pick and see who falls. If Kane is there, the Yotes should take him. If not, I'd consider it.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Change Staal for Montoya and I would jump on that deal, although if I am the Kings I don't do it.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Chimp

That sounds like pure insanity for Rangers. No way they can do that deal. Personally, I wouldn't trade Montoya until he has proven himself in a couple of NHL games and raised his value.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
bleedgreen

i could see them moving montoya for the pick, as others have said that should be enough right there. its a tough call for the rangers with montoya, if there is a position you want good depth at, its goalie. the sharks did just fine this year with two top guys. it cant go one forever, but i don think the rangers will or should rush to move the kid just to get it done now, unless they think they are getting a piece back that will really improve them long term. if the third pick is that guy, then fine, im not convinced it is at this point - but the one thing the rangers do lack imo is a top notch offensive prospect. they have some very good ones, but not one that that looks like a potential perennial allstar to me. question is, would one of the top 3 here accomplish that? would they be close enough to justify trading montoya? its a tough decision.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
phil macrackin

I know I'm in the minority - big-time - but I like this deal for the Rangers. I've never been a big fan of Montoya's, especially after his awful world juniors a couple of years ago, and Prucha is easily replaced. A small, one-dimensional forward is not that hard to land. On the other hand, the Rangers would add a potential star forward, probably Kane, Turris or Voracek. They would end up with the best player in the deal, IMHO, plus they have no use for Montoya because of Lundqvist. If they can make that trade, they should do it.

phil macrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Tavares isn't available until 2009.

And a big no on this deal. Not both for the 3rd pick.
Don't think it will happend.

But there is one big opening IMO, that could make it a legitimate deal.

Rockström was interviewed a few times during the WJC in Sweden, sat in the studio once. Its nothing unusual, he is on tv every now and then in Sweden, but have to this date never said anything about a undrafted player, he is often asked but always just laughs and says that he of course can't comment on anyone.

Though this time he really embrassed his love for Pat Kane. He said it in a humors way, like "hopefully nobody is listening now, but there is one kid here at the WJC that we really love, and thats Pat Kane. Hopefully no other scouts have noticed him". And then talked about what a fantastic player Kane is.

Kane would be a great fit for NY, a type of player we haven't had in a long time. He got all the talent in the world, works really hard, is a thrill to watch. Who is the last homegrown forward in NY that ended up top 10 in scoring during his NY days? I think Leetch made the top 10 once, and Zubov once came close, but they where D's. Kovalev never came close. I think we would have to go back over 30 years to find one.

It don't have to mean anything, and I am just speculating widly here. The deal wouldn't be made before draft day, but if Turris-Voracek goes 1-2, we wouldn't trade Prucha and Montoya for the 3rd overall pick, we would trade em for Pat Kane.

If they are really sold on him, and strongly feels that he can become a regular top 10 in scoring type of player in 3-4 years its not such a bad deal. It seems like teams will hang on to their big names in the future in this league. Big UFA's often wants to stay with their team. NYR needs to replace the scoring void left after Jagr.

In the end, thats just why I didn't think the deal was a complete joke when I saw it.

When it comes to Kane though, I would be suprised if he fell to 3. Two more inches and he would be a slamdunk to be drafted 1st overall. Would be talked about as a great 1st overall pick, behind AO and Crosby but up there with some really good ones. He is a fantastic hockeyplayer. Size brings him down, its not that, but with the how the game is played right now I think people still puts too much value into size.

Last edited by Ola: 05-10-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
GNick42

That deal is a steal for Phoenix. Montaya was a high pick in a good draft. Plus he is NHL ready. Turris may not be ready for 3-4 years

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Kane would be a great fit for NY, a type of player we haven't had in a long time. He got all the talent in the world, works really hard, is a thrill to watch. Who is the last homegrown forward in NY that ended up top 10 in scoring during his NY days? I think Leetch made the top 10 once, and Zubov once came close, but they where D's. Kovalev never came close. I think we would have to go back over 30 years to find one.

It don't have to mean anything, and I am just speculating widly here. The deal wouldn't be made before draft day, but if Turris-Voracek goes 1-2, we wouldn't trade Prucha and Montoya for the 3rd overall pick, we would trade em for Pat Kane.

If they are really sold on him, and strongly feels that he can become a regular top 10 in scoring type of player in 3-4 years its not such a bad deal. It seems like teams will hang on to their big names in the future in this league. Big UFA's often wants to stay with their team. NYR needs to replace the scoring void left after Jagr.

In the end, thats just why I didn't think the deal was a complete joke when I saw it.

When it comes to Kane though, I would be suprised if he fell to 3. Two more inches and he would be a slamdunk to be drafted 1st overall. Would be talked about as a great 1st overall pick, behind AO and Crosby but up there with some really good ones. He is a fantastic hockeyplayer. Size brings him down, its not that, but with the how the game is played right now I think people still puts too much value into size.
Really good points OLA, and I'm not sure if you mean Voracek is overrated as a result. I think its a mistake to assume he gives up that much of an edge in talent because of his size. He's a true thoroughbred and I see alot of Hossa/Jagr because he's able to lean on guys and protect the puck so well. He's such a treat to watch wind up starting the rush up ice.

At the end of the day, I think there's two real talents who both offer totally different number one pick traits, leaving me at 1a. Kane 1b. Voracek.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
That deal is a steal for Phoenix. Montaya was a high pick in a good draft. Plus he is NHL ready. Turris may not be ready for 3-4 years
Montoya's draft class was a poor year. If Phoenix really rated him that highly, they could have just picked him instead of Wheeler. They didnt and so I seriously doubt they believe he's worth giving up the #3 pick. Maybe the new GM would do it, but he's going to rely on the scouting network already in place.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote