HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Bring Forsberg to Broadway

Old
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Kaberle View Post
Ya, because everyone in the league has a prospect who can make a Forsberg-like impact waiting in the wings .....

A Forsberg-Jagr combo should be too hard for anyone to say no to.
1) Didnt say we have a Forsberg like player waiting in the wings. We dont. We dont have any future franchise, #1, set records players in our system.

2) My statement is that we should be looking to make trades that would benefit us in the LONGTERM and not the short term. We have enough kids in the minors that we could easily trade them for draftpicks or a decent player without skipping a beat IMO.

3) While were at it, lets bring Back Kovy and have Mess come out of retirement so they can center a line with Jagr, then we will have Leetch sign and get Zubov so they can be the first D pair.

4) Jagr does not get along well with everyone (see Arron Ward). I know, real shocker there. Him and Nlyander work VERY well together. I dont want to break that cehmistry on the first line up, not for Forsberg, not for Gomez, not for Dury, Briere or ANY FA Center.

Sure, on paper Jagr-Forsburg looks great, but it would be just like Lindross-Bure or the other FA signing mistakes we have made... those mistakes are not the reason I dont want to sign any FA's, but also because the market for players is nuts right now and i dont think we need that on our team to win.

Another move that would look good and do nothing.... just like in Texas Holdem, you get Ace King.. its called the Anna Kournakova.... It looks good... BUT IT NEVER WINS.

end rant.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
ogie

I think we have had enough of old, injury plagued players. Or are you quick to forget the Bure days. The rangers need to get a young, healthy high scorer. Not someone who will eat up a ton of room under the cap and only play part of a season.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I understand where that sentiment comes from....but thats just silly.

If a guy os available and he improves the team you go get him "if" the price is right
Even if the price was 3-4 Mill a year, i would still stear clear of it... has been hapmerd by injury and lack of effort (IMO) for a few years now....yea the guy played with a reuptured spleen... but for the past few years its seemed like it was either his groin, or his foot, or his fingernail.... dont need that, and as great as it sounds and as exciting as it woudl be for the first 20 games until the luster wore off, its not worth it.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Only because of his injuries? It's not a small thing. He's going to be 35 in July. He's not getting any younger or any healthier.
Actually he seems to be getting healthier.

Again, no one is saying we should sign him for 5 years.

In this new NHL we'll see players play till they're 50 years old.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
Actually he seems to be getting healthier.

Again, no one is saying we should sign him for 5 years.

In this new NHL we'll see players play till they're 50 years old.
I don't like the idea. Rather take the money that it would cost and put it towards other guys.

05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Only because of his injuries? It's not a small thing. He's going to be 35 in July. He's not getting any younger or any healthier.
ONE YEAR DEAL

05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
One year deal for 1 mil sounds good.

But he will get some ******** team offering him 3-5 mil and then he will get injured 15 games in and they will cry

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
One year deal for 1 mil sounds good.

But he will get some ******** team offering him 3-5 mil and then he will get injured 15 games in and they will cry
Let that be someone else for once.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
ONE YEAR DEAL
It doesn't matter. Even a ONE YEAR DEAL is a step backwards.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
E_Godard

I have alot of respect for the guy, but seriouslly.. his days are numbered. I really dont think hes worth what teams are willing to pay. Maybe a few years back, but now it just doesnt seem like such a good move.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
It doesn't matter. Even a ONE YEAR DEAL is a step backwards.
Yeah, I think we all know Forsberg is tremendously skilled when healthy and could help any team, but a deal like this, even a short one, would get away from the new team culture the Rangers are trying to build for themselves.

Sigh, 600 posts in one month? I really need to go out and get a life.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Madness

Quote:
I don't like the idea. Rather take the money that it would cost and put it towards other guys.
I totally agree but Forsberg is the best UFA center not only is he a better player but he'll cost less than any other center.

Are we taking a risk? yes but it's 1 year and I personally don't like the other options right now (Gomez etc.) , they'll cost a lot more and they'll want long term contracts, so I want to wait and see what happens next year.

It's a win win situation IMO.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
zestystrat

Let him go back to Philly, the Av's or retire.

Love to have him 3 or more years ago but not now. Too much risk, not enough reward.

He'll limp to the playoffs or just not make it.

While we are at it let's bring back Bure for a few games.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
hdw

It's an excercise in the futile, two times over.

Ranger's doesn't want him nor need him.

And he'll only sign anywhere at all if his personal motivation is high enough to cover the horror of this latest season.

And there is only three team that can give him that personal motivation.

Nashville and Flyers for personal pride, Avalanche because he still feels that it's 'his' team (next to MoDo).

And no Modo fans, he won't sign for MoDo. If he's not motivated enough for NHL, he'll stick to golf (at Veckefjärden) and making the best use possible of his private box at Swedbank Arena.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
I totally agree but Forsberg is the best UFA center not only is he a better player but he'll cost less than any other center.

Are we taking a risk? yes but it's 1 year and I personally don't like the other options right now (Gomez etc.) , they'll cost a lot more and they'll want long term contracts, so I want to wait and see what happens next year.

It's a win win situation IMO.
I don't believe he's the best UFA center. He might have the highest ceiling but he also has the lowest floor. There are better options with less risk. I don't see the appeal of a 1 year deal. I'd rather make the investment in a guy like Drury or Gomez for a longer contract.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Let's not and say we did.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Now, I'm as youth-oriented as the rest of you, but I don't think this would be a bad move.

The 2nd line center spot is very weak, and we don't have very many options within the organization (Dubi's not ready, Avery and Straka are better as wingers). I believe that our lack of secondary scoring has a lot to do with the lack of a playmaker after the top line. Forsberg is a world-class playmaker. Imagine Nylander and Jagr are followed by Forsberg and Shanahan. What team has the depth to stop that?

As for his injury problems, I wouldn't be too worried. Forsberg's injuries tend to be small injuries that cause him to sit out for a handful of games rather than the catastrophic, season-ending variety. If Forsberg misses 20-25 games, then that's 20-25 games that Dubinsky plays in the NHL. If we were building around him like Philly was, then that's a problem. But if we just want him to take some of the heat off Jagr, then he can miss a few games.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ive been one of the first vocal Forsberg supporters here. get him on this team as a 1 year stopgap.

ALL the available centers via UFA are really 2nd line centers, who want first line money. you DONT do that int he cap era...not if youre smart that is. give me forsberg, or give me Dubinsky.

or of course id rather have Horton or Lecavalier, but who knows what it would take to get those guys.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I have alot of respect for the guy, but seriouslly.. his days are numbered. I really dont think hes worth what teams are willing to pay. Maybe a few years back, but now it just doesnt seem like such a good move.
The impact Forsberg has on a team is huge, just ask Philly, but was that team built correctly?, when Forsberg "went down" (he was rather not ready to play) in combination with awful D-men they were left with nothing. Instead of blaming that team's management some fans were blaming Forsberg because there was a huge difference in the team's performance when he was in the lineup and they saw that as Forsberg's fault. He wasn't even supposed to play until January 2007.

If you look at his play in the last 4 months it has been nothing short of great.

Many people get/make their "opinions" from the media and we all know what the media is about. Almost every week we had "breaking news: Forsberg might retire" here in Sweden.

Honestly anyone who have seen him play during the last few months knows that there's a difference in his play compared to how it was at the beginning of the season. Why would a PPG player retire when he had a surgery to fix his foot and is getting better???

I for one don't want him to retire yet.

What I want to say is that it's easy to say player A is a playoff choker, player B has no heart, player C is soft, player D is Clutch.

I think there was a thread made on the Sabres board about Drury's disappointing play after game 4 of the NYR-BUF series and we all know that he's often referred to as one of the best clutch players in the NHL. In game 5 Drury score a goal with 7 seconds left of the game to tie the game 1-1, don't you think that "luck" and him being on the ice in the last seconds of the game waiting for a rebound beside the net has something to do with it. So if Drury doesn't score that goal his clutch reputation is damaged, but he did score and now he's even more clutch than before.

Old
05-10-2007, 11:11 AM
polako

Madness, I'm with you on this one.

Forsberg is the type of answer we need for a year on the 2nd line. Playing him alongside Avery and Hossa/Prucha/Straka would make for a potent 2nd line.

With Dubinsky and, to a lesser extent, Anisimov, on the horizon, I would steer clear from investing even more $ and years into the C spot (see: signing of Cullen; resigning of Betts).

Besides, Drury just put up what is, by far, the best year of his career. Throwing money and multiple years at him at this point will likely not yield the return that he provided the Sabres this year.

Even if Forsberg gets hurt, it would encourage Renney to give Dubinsky time on teh 2nd line.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
ive been one of the first vocal Forsberg supporters here. get him on this team as a 1 year stopgap.

ALL the available centers via UFA are really 2nd line centers, who want first line money. you DONT do that int he cap era...not if youre smart that is. give me forsberg, or give me Dubinsky.

or of course id rather have Horton or Lecavalier, but who knows what it would take to get those guys.
A stopgap to what exactly? This team does not have a stud center who is a year away. If you are going to commit money to a top center, shouldn't he help you for more than one year? You get a Drury or Gomez and you fill a whole for years to come.

Old
05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Madness, I'm with you on this one.

Forsberg is the type of answer we need for a year on the 2nd line. Playing him alongside Avery and Hossa/Prucha/Straka would make for a potent 2nd line.

With Dubinsky and, to a lesser extent, Anisimov, on the horizon, I would steer clear from investing even more $ and years into the C spot (see: signing of Cullen; resigning of Betts).

Besides, Drury just put up what is, by far, the best year of his career. Throwing money and multiple years at him at this point will likely not yield the return that he provided the Sabres this year.

Even if Forsberg gets hurt, it would encourage Renney to give Dubinsky time on teh 2nd line.
That's one of the reasons I don't see any harm in signing him, besides our young players can build up their confidence playing alongside Forsberg, I know I would.

About the other UFA's, I actually don't see any franchise player there. I would love to get Marleau (not UFA though) but I don't see that happening.

Old
05-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

exactly. thats the argument ive been trying to make.

we all acknowledge that we NEED a true #1 center on this team. lets assume Nylander is your #1 center now, but hes not REALLY a #1. the problem is none of the available free agents this year ARE #1's/ they are all #2's camouflaged to fool people into paying them insane dollars for insane years. i want no part of 6 year 42 million dollar contracts unless youre talking about a guy like Thornton, Lecavalier, Crosby, Staal, etc.

Forsberg will basically buy us time. 1 year, lets us get to a better crop of free agency, lets dubinsky develop, lets anisimov develop, lets trade possibilities open up. everyone acknowledges that he has flaws, problems, and risks, but why else would a guy sign a 1 year deal? you have to take risks sometimes. this would be a worthwhile risk.

everytime you sign a veteran free agent it doesnt automatically mean you are going back to the old days of trying to buy a Stanley Cup, you really have to look into the rationale behind the decision.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
eco's bones

No to Forsberg. He had his chance to come here two years ago. Now he's that much older and with the injuries etc.--forget about it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I'd have to say first of all Forsberg wouldn't sign here. Second of all he's going to cost at least four million, four million that can be better spent on a d-man or a second line senter.

Third, Jagr has his #1 center, whether you believe it or not with his play during the season and playoffs Nyles deserves the #1 spot, even his numbers don't warrent it his chemistry with Jags (the best skater in the NHL) does. The Rangers true needs are a #2 center and a d-man, Forsberg isn't a number 2 center.

If you could get a 4 year deal for Drury 5.5-6 mil or Gomez for that matter I would take that.

If not I'd be much happier watching someone less talented while the Rangers distribute their funds elsewhere.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote