HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Bring Forsberg to Broadway

Old
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A stopgap to what exactly? This team does not have a stud center who is a year away. If you are going to commit money to a top center, shouldn't he help you for more than one year? You get a Drury or Gomez and you fill a whole for years to come.
the hole they would fill is really a 2nd line center. and they would want 6-7 million bucks to do that.

if you look at scaling of salaries, you should have, at most, 3 guys getting that much, and if youre a really good team, have only 1 or 2 guys getting that much. I could probably come up with a good solid mathematical model to work off of, but its probably not worth the time. Either way it all comes down to "what are they?" if you think that Gomez, a guy who has scored over 20 goals exactly once in his career, and who averages a meager 64 points per year, then by all means, sign him up.

how about drury? a minor step up at 67 points, albeit he scores on average 27 goals per season, which is definitely better than Gomez's numbers by a wide margin.

how about danny briere?

hes right about the same in terms of averages.

NONE of these guys are worth 6 year deals at 6-7 per ,but ALL of them will get something like that.

when i talk about stop gap, im talking till something better comes along. till a major free agent becomes available, or a great trade possibility opens up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
It's an excercise in the futile, two times over.

Ranger's doesn't want him nor need him.

And he'll only sign anywhere at all if his personal motivation is high enough to cover the horror of this latest season.

And there is only three team that can give him that personal motivation.

Nashville and Flyers for personal pride, Avalanche because he still feels that it's 'his' team (next to MoDo).
I'd say he has NO motivation to stay in Nashville. and I think he left Philly with more crap going on there than anyone would admit publicly.

On NYR he'll get a fresh start. He won't have to be THE GUY = Less pressure

He also gets to play with some homeboys from Sweden. Guys he's won with before.

Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Straka - Forsberg - Shanny
Avery - Cullen - Callahan
Prucha- Dubinsky - Dawes

Roszival - Malik
Toots - Girardi
Mara - Staal

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
I wouldn´t overestimate "reputation". When JJ came to NY he was known as "coach killer" or "dressing room cancer" but I agree with you regarding Forsberg. It would be step back in NYR even if Forsberg is without doubt excelent hockey player.
Not exactly true. He only really had that reputation from Washington really. He was never known as a cancer in Pittsburgh.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Ola

First of all, Forsberg can't play center in this league anymore, atleast not with wings like Kariya, Radulov and Erat.

He just doesn't cover enough ice, doesn't got the skating to do so. Gets out of position offensivly too much. The results are that he plays far to much hockey in his own end or the neutralzone.

I don't think Forsberg can be a succesful center in this league anymore.

Though Straka would be a great center for him, let Peter only concentrate on offense. Though I don't think Shanahan would be a good fit with him, he doesn't move enough.

Anyway, I agree with thoose who think Forsberg actually could bring us down some, atleast if he isn't used right or he is played in a role where he is expected to do too much.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
This is my opinion on the matter:

I would like to see us sign either Gomez, Briere, or Drury. My top choices out of them are Drury and Gomez.

Gomez, in a more wide open system, would score 25 goals and get 70 assists. Setting up Shanny and whoever else we pair with them would be a dream for Gomez as we all know he wants to finally get a chance to show off his skills.

Drury would be great for the lockeroom. He's a tremendous leader, is probably one of the most clutch guys I have ever seen, and grew up a Rangers fan as a kid. Not saying he'd take a discount for us or anything silly, but we could use it in an attempt to sign the guy.

This team needs a 2nd line center. Briere is my last choice just because I think he's the worst out of the 3 players but still pretty damn good.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
This is my opinion on the matter:

I would like to see us sign either Gomez, Briere, or Drury. My top choices out of them are Drury and Gomez.

Gomez, in a more wide open system, would score 25 goals and get 70 assists. Setting up Shanny and whoever else we pair with them would be a dream for Gomez as we all know he wants to finally get a chance to show off his skills.

Drury would be great for the lockeroom. He's a tremendous leader, is probably one of the most clutch guys I have ever seen, and grew up a Rangers fan as a kid. Not saying he'd take a discount for us or anything silly, but we could use it in an attempt to sign the guy.

This team needs a 2nd line center. Briere is my last choice just because I think he's the worst out of the 3 players but still pretty damn good.
I hear ya but consider this:

Gomez should NEVER wear a Rangers jersey imo.

Drury is going to be TOO expensive

I question if Briere shines outside of Buffalo....and he'll be expensive too.

Forsberg is still one of the greatest players IN THE WORLD.

He had a bad experience in Philly. It happens. I bet no one wants a fresh new start more than he does. He'll be back and with something to prove.

Old
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I believe that our lack of secondary scoring has a lot to do with the lack of a playmaker after the top line.

Absolutely agree... That is my only fear with Drury... Shanahan is more of a finisher, as wel as Callahan and Prucha and just about anyone else who would play on the 2nd line for the Rangers.

Forsberg makes some sense.. .You do a 1 year deal and if he misses games, so what? Then Dubinsky can get some big time minutes again.

You bring in a Drury or a Gomez, and you are shutting things off for a little while for guys like Dubi. Forsberg would afford Dubi some playing time. And if Forsberg stays healthy, o well. Plus, it would only be a 1 year deal.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Healthy Forsberg is THE BEST of all the UFA's
Since there's no such thing as a healthy Forsberg, there's your answer. Forsberg has only played over 70 games 5 times in his 11 seasons. In the last three seasons, he has played 39, 60 and 57 games.

The guy has a special boot made so he can skate with minimal pain.

Let it go. I thought the days of signing past their prime stars was over in New York.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
First of all, Forsberg can't play center in this league anymore, atleast not with wings like Kariya, Radulov and Erat.

Thats crazy man. Peter Forsberg is still one of the GREATS. He had a bad year. That guy is one of the best of all time. SOME team is going to get a deal with him next season and reap the benefits.

He's the best UFA AND his stock is low because of his latest off year. If he's healthy, want to play here, and he'll take a one year deal you don't pass on a Peter Forsberg

Old
05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Forsberg makes some sense.. .You do a 1 year deal and if he misses games, so what? Then Dubinsky can get some big time minutes again
Thats what Im talking about

Old
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
hdw

Quote:

He's the best UFA AND his stock is low because of his latest off year. If he's healthy, want to play here, and he'll take a one year deal you don't pass on a Peter Forsberg
He doesn't.

You're just wasting time.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
the hole they would fill is really a 2nd line center. and they would want 6-7 million bucks to do that.
Rather spend that money on a guy where you can be more certain about what you are going to get and a guy who will this team beyond next season.

Quote:
if you look at scaling of salaries, you should have, at most, 3 guys getting that much, and if youre a really good team, have only 1 or 2 guys getting that much. I could probably come up with a good solid mathematical model to work off of, but its probably not worth the time. Either way it all comes down to "what are they?" if you think that Gomez, a guy who has scored over 20 goals exactly once in his career, and who averages a meager 64 points per year, then by all means, sign him up. how about drury? a minor step up at 67 points, albeit he scores on average 27 goals per season, which is definitely better than Gomez's numbers by a wide margin.
I consider what guys like Drury do as worth more than you see on the stat sheet. He is a leader and complete player. And I feel comfortable with the idea that they are going to be healthy.

Quote:
NONE of these guys are worth 6 year deals at 6-7 per ,but ALL of them will get something like that.
I'd be very surprised if they got a 6-7 year deal. The only way that happens is if a team like Philly feels like overpaying for Briere.

Quote:
when i talk about stop gap, im talking till something better comes along. till a major free agent becomes available, or a great trade possibility opens up.
But who's coming along? Crosby? Ovechkin? Thornton? This team is painfully thin at center. Let's also not discount the effect of signing a player away from a conference rival. That helps too.

I don't want a stopgap (I'm still not sure to what). I want a guy who will be apart of the team for next several years.

05-10-2007, 12:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
if he misses games, so what?
You must be a Yankee fan.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
But who's coming along? Crosby? Ovechkin? Thornton? This team is painfully thin at center. Let's also not discount the effect of signing a player away from a conference rival. That helps too.
I think Jumbo isa UFA next year......stop the presses....change thread title!

Old
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

You're just wasting time.
Your right on there.

Old
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Why waste the money in a salary cap era on a guy who's almost guaranteed to be injured. This could be one of the worst deals since Lindros, Bure, I can't believe after all these years people would be seriously considering a return to the "dark" ages.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Since there's no such thing as a healthy Forsberg, there's your answer. Forsberg has only played over 70 games 5 times in his 11 seasons. In the last three seasons, he has played 39, 60 and 57 games.

The guy has a special boot made so he can skate with minimal pain.

Let it go. I thought the days of signing past their prime stars was over in New York.
Well he doesn't have any pain now, that was last year before the surgery, I believe that they broke some bones in his foot and realigned them.

Anyone wants to bet that Forsberg if still in the NHL will get more points than Drury next year?

I'm willing to have an avatar saying poster X is god and I know nothing about hockey.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
You must be a Yankee fan.
The rationale behind it is that if he misses games, then we have a guy in Dubinsky who can step up in play.

Plus, under a 1 year deal, there is not a ton of downside here.

Just pointing out that I dont think its all that crazy an idea.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Alright, I understand the injury prone nature of Foppa, but you people who are claiming that you wouldn't take this guy for a year at a dirt-cheap price are out of your minds. This guy is still good enough to put up points, and would VASTLY improve this team. I undertand that's only when he's in the line up. But if he came to NY for 1-2 mill for a year or two? You'd be out of your mind to not sign him to that kind of deal. Especially when that gives us more cap space to bring back Shanny, and then get a top defender as well.

Go for the younger guys first, but if Forsberg is still available and is willing to sign for dirt cheap after those guys are gone, you sign him.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
Why waste the money in a salary cap era on a guy who's almost guaranteed to be injured. This could be one of the worst deals since Lindros, Bure, I can't believe after all these years people would be seriously considering a return to the "dark" ages.
Quote:
I know he's older. I know he's injury prone. But he's still one of the best playmakers in the game.

Jagr, Shanny, Straka are here two years at most. Those guys need to give everything for the cup now.

Sign Forsberg to a one year Shanny like deal. He'll have to play less minutes on the Rangers. He'll have less pressure on the 2nd line. If he gets injured we have the depth in Hartford chomping at the bit to get a shot.

One year deal. Go for it all while Jagrs still here.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
hdw

Quote:
The rationale behind it is that if he misses games, then we have a guy in Dubinsky who can step up in play.

Plus, under a 1 year deal, there is not a ton of downside here.

Just pointing out that I dont think its all that crazy an idea.
Have you ever considered that players of that calibre, if they even decides to play, aren't robotic stats-sheets?

Jags has done what he has done the last 2 years in NYR because he wanted to try and was allowed to try.

Real world hockey isn't fantasy hockey. It isn't all about cold judgement of calculated value of a player versus potential payback.

Jags doesn't play on NYR because they pay him the most, Shanny didn't play for NYR because they payed him the most.

They play for much more complicated reasons.

Reserve that kind of calculations for youngsters, it doesn't apply for people like Jags, Shanny or Forsberg (or Sakic, or Koivu or yada yada)

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
We already have a Swedish play making center and his name is Nylander.

I don't want another one. Not Forsberg.... not this season..... Nashville gave a ton to get him this year, wouldn't have wanted him during the first season after the lock out either.

Signing Forsberg is the safe way out of putting a pack kid in the line up who is un proven at the NHL level. No thanks.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Have you ever considered that players of that calibre, if they even decides to play, aren't robotic stats-sheets?

Jags has done what he has done the last 2 years in NYR because he wanted to try and was allowed to try.

Real world hockey isn't fantasy hockey. It isn't all about cold judgement of calculated value of a player versus potential payback.

Jags doesn't play on NYR because they pay him the most, Shanny didn't play for NYR because they payed him the most.

They play for much more complicated reasons.

Reserve that kind of calculations for youngsters, it doesn't apply for people like Jags, Shanny or Forsberg (or Sakic, or Koivu or yada yada)
im not exactly sure what you are trying to say here? it almost sounds like you are questioning Forsbergs desire?? Which i know cant be right, because thats one thing you NEVER question about this guy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
I KNOW!! Lets sign Leetch, Zubov, Amonte and Kovy while we are at it.

I just dont get it... post lockout the team has been pretty damn disciplined in its FA signings, minus the Shanny one last year.... and at the time that was smarter then this one is.... yet there is still a want for this craziness

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
nope its be Lindros part 2 with the injuries.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote