HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney Named GM of PHX

Old
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Don Maloney Named GM of PHX

Quote:
The Coyotes have a list of nine candidates they hope to interview for the job, including Rangers assistant GM Don Maloney who will talk with Phoenix Thursday.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news...p?idNews=24699

That really sucks

If he gets the position,we are so ****ed

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Onion Boy

That would suck. Why doesn't Sather just step back and give Maloney the official GM job. Sather can still be president.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Richard Park 10

After Messier came out and said he wanted the job, can you blame Maloney?

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
After Messier came out and said he wanted the job, can you blame Maloney?
Not sure what Messier has to do with any of this. There's only 30 jobs to be had. Maloney wants one of them.

05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
blue2noise

This would be a big blow to the Rangers. Slats needs to step up to the plate.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure what Messier has to do with any of this. There's only 30 jobs to be had. Maloney wants one of them.
I think Maloney was the heir apparanent as all the cards have been placed to insinuate that. Then Messier came out and said he wanted the job when Sather retired. A lot of people thought that was a very selfish comment and a direct insult to Maloney. Messier has a lot of power in the organization and yes, a job is a job, but the gm of the rangers is one of the best jobs in sports, and if Maloney felt he would be the sucessor, I dont think he would interview with the yotes.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
I think Maloney was the heir apparanent as all the cards have been placed to insinuate that. Then Messier came out and said he wanted the job when Sather retired. A lot of people thought that was a very selfish comment and a direct insult to Maloney. Messier has a lot of power in the organization and yes, a job is a job, but the gm of the rangers is one of the best jobs in sports.
I think this has nothing to do with Messier.

If you had the chance to get a better job now instead of waiting for your boss to step down (whenever that will be), you'd leave too.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
There's only 30 jobs to be had
However,the Phoenix is not an ideal job.As long as Wayne Gretzky is associated with the Coyotes,the GM really doesn't have the autonomy to do whatever he wants.With that being the case,the new GM is bound to fail and not on his own terms.

Every decision will be filtered through Wayne.The new GM can't even bring in his own head coach because the HC is also the managing partner of the team.Gretzky's friends have told him to take the GM duties and hire a HC but Wayne doesn't like the hard work associated with that position

It's the same deal in Columbus.The new GM will inherit Ken Hitchcock and his overbearing personality

Old
05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
However,the Phoenix is not an ideal job.As long as Wayne Gretzky is associated with the Coyotes,the GM really doesn't have the autonomy to do whatever he wants.
With that being the case,the new GM is bound to fail and not on his own terms.
Every decision will be filtered through Wayne.The new GM can't even bring in his own head coach because the HC is also the managing partner of the team.Gretzky's friends have told him to take the GM duties and hire a HC but Wayne doesn't like the hard work associated with that position

It's the same deal in Columbus.The new GM will inherit Ken Hitchcock and his overbearing personality
It's not an ideal job. But when there are only 30 jobs to be had, you don't turn down an interview.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
It's not an ideal job. But when there are only 30 jobs to be had, you don't turn down an interview.
very true, and I do agree with you. This is merely an interview. But I dont think you can say the Messier comments were completely ignored by Maloney.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Gelnn either has to let him take over or he will walk... cant blame him, espeically wafter what Mess said....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Nich

i would love for Glen to move to President and make him the GM....in a perfect world!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Damn, if Maloney gets the job in Phoenix...I'm afraid Sather is going to ruin the good work the Rangers have done since the lockout.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Damn, if Maloney gets the job in Phoenix...I'm afraid Sather is going to ruin the good work the Rangers have done since the lockout.
i'm not that worried, i just like what don has done and what he brings to the org....maybe Glen wouldn't mind being the President and the President of player development? or maybe we should sign Shoenfeld for that job along with GM of hartford

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:19 AM
NYR469

i'd be SHOCKED if he leaves. my $$ says that maloney is named rangers gm

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
However,the Phoenix is not an ideal job.As long as Wayne Gretzky is associated with the Coyotes,the GM really doesn't have the autonomy to do whatever he wants.With that being the case,the new GM is bound to fail and not on his own terms.

Somehow, I can't picture Wayne Gretxzky as a backstabber and an office politician.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
zestystrat

C'mon Mess says he wants the job and Don starts to look for other jobs?? BS! Mess in no way has that kind of power or is anywhere near qualified for that job. It’s not like he just hopped out of the womb and into the NHL, he spent some time working up to the pros. Same with a GM job, he’ll need to work up to it.

Anyway it's an opportunity to be a GM which doesn’t open up that often, Gretz knows Don, an interview was bound to happen.

If GS is smart he'll offer Don the GM job and bask in Don's success.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Ola

Rangerboy- I agree, I might not be the biggest fan of Maloney yet, I don't got much against him, but I defenitly don't want Mess here replacing Maloney.

Mess always had the illusion that hard work and attitude was all that mattered. Saw him on VS awhile ago, he talked about how the tactic part was somewhat overrated, and that the key in the end just was about taking the puck to the net and working hard.

Just like the trap dominated in the old game -- a structured offense, with set transitionplays and allot of creativity to beat traps, allot of guts to play yourway through traps instead of just dumping it in, along with a very organized defense is and atleast one defensive aware player on all lines -- will dominate in the future.

I am not sure that it would happend, but I could see Mess comming in here tearing down what Renney have built up and setting us on the same route as Nolan got for the NYI, or Hartly for the Thrashers.

During one decade he never learned that the trap was superior, why would he now learn that the puck possesion game is the way to go?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Somehow, I can't picture Wayne Gretxzky as a backstabber and an office politician.
What?He is the managing director of the entire hockey operation.He is the boss.Do you honestly think the next GM of the Coyotes will have more power than Wayne?

Old
05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
i'd be SHOCKED if he leaves. my $$ says that maloney is named rangers gm
Or Maloney is trying to leverage a better contract out of the Rangers such as Jim Nill received last year to stay as the Red Wings assistant GM when other teams wanted to interview him as their next GM

Old
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Rangerboy- I agree, I might not be the biggest fan of Maloney yet, I don't got much against him, but I defenitly don't want Mess here replacing Maloney.
If Maloney does go to Phoenix,maybe the Rangers will get the Coyotes first round pick as compensation

Old
05-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post

I don't think Sather will ruin anything...he's doing this for a long time now and has made some tremendous moves for this club....what worries me though is Maloney not overseeing the draft...if indeed he does go to Pho. Obviosly I love Messier...the guy brought the cup here, but he is unproven as a GM, or assistant GM. I don't agree with the guy coming in and taking over in either of those capacities at this point. How can the team be sure that he is "dialed in" on the intricacies of being GM, or VP or whatever?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
TheRedressor

Maloney won't take the job, Rangers will match the $ if that is an issue. Nobody wants to be Gretz's puppet. Right now Maloney has free reign by pretty much being the Rangers defacto GM.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Neil Smith was interviewed for the job. http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=207229&hubname=nhl and On Wednesday, the Coyotes spoke with Kevin Cheveldayoff, who is the GM of the Chicago Wolves of the American League. The Wolves, the farm team of the Atlanta Thrashers, have long been one of the best-run operations in the minors, dating back to their days in the defunct International League.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
DutchShamrock

We need to slow down here. Just because Messier expressed interest in the job he is suddenly the heir apparent and his job to lose. I don't care what he did as a player for the NHL or the Organization, you don't just step into the GM role of the New York Rangers without any front office experience.

Look, Messier said his piece in the media but that doesn't guarentee him anything and I think he of all people would know that. He has to do some learning, maybe as a scout or assistant GM or GM of a minor league team.

I think maybe the Rangers never really commented on Mess's statement because they didn't really want to embarass him. They just chose to let it go away and die. Nothing changed, Maloney is still the next in line unless he decides to go somewhere else. Maybe this forces Sather's hand, or maybe Maloney isn't concerned about titles. He is basically the GM of day-to-day operations and he knows that.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote