HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney Named GM of PHX

Old
05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Perhaps Maloney...

isn't excited about the prospects of dealing more directly with Dolan if he were to get the job at some point.

But I agree with SBoB...there are 30 positions - he wants one.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
isn't excited about the prospects of dealing more directly with Dolan if he were to get the job at some point.

The one he is interviewing for is basically being Gretzky's caretaker.Barnett was the previous caretaker and he got axed when the ownership started putting heat on Wayne

This is the Coyotes head coach

Quote:
Yet you can't expect all that with an AWOL coach, and here is the bottom line with Gretzky: A lot of bad things have happened under his nose - bets allegedly placed, contracts egregiously padded, playoffs missed, etc. And a lot of that is because Gretzky has never given this job or this franchise the time or care it deserves.

For instance, Gretzky missed two days of practice before the Coyotes played the Blues on April 3. When asked before the game how St. Louis had successfully changed its style, he didn't have an answer. Most coaches I know would have felt obligated to throw in a tape or two
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ckley0418.html

Basically,the head coach will be the GM's boss.They tried that with Barnett

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Pizza

Not surprised that Don would look, but that job he should turn down. Not as dicey as the Islander gig, but still not terribly attractive.

He will gets lots of credit for what should continue to go right with the Rangers. He should wait for a better position to open up. It will in time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't think Sather will ruin anything...he's doing this for a long time now and has made some tremendous moves for this club....what worries me though is Maloney not overseeing the draft...if indeed he does go to Pho. Obviosly I love Messier...the guy brought the cup here, but he is unproven as a GM, or assistant GM. I don't agree with the guy coming in and taking over in either of those capacities at this point. How can the team be sure that he is "dialed in" on the intricacies of being GM, or VP or whatever?
Maloney didn't run the draft last year and won't run it this year either.Gordie Clark is now responsible for the draft selections.After the lockout,he was promoted to the Rangers Head Amateur Scout.He joined the Rangers as a pro scout in 2002 after failing to reach terms with Charles Wang on a new contract.He was Mike Milbury's right hand man on LI(ran their drafts) and also worked for the Bruins as their chief scout.Clark held various positions with Bruins when MM was there

Old
05-10-2007, 02:58 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

sather would still be there as the go between...really if sather handed over the title of GM to maloney the ONLY thing that would change is the nameplate on their office doors. as far as actual jobs very little would change from what they are doing now and glen & don would still work together the same way.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I also doubt that Mess's comments had any effect on Maloney's decision to interview.

As much as alot of folks think that Mess is loved, I doubt very much he would be considered for the position over Don.

Maloney is to far entrenched in the workings of this franchise and going from him to Mess would set this franchise back years upon years.

Glen needs to take a step back and allow the guys under him to take on more prominant roles in the Org.

Make official what we already think we know.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
FLYLine24*

Dammit Sather, step down as GM if Don is going to go to PHX.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

I've always been a behind the scenes player, Im not a spotlight guy although I could be in it & shine. If I had the choice, I'd rather be the Assiant GM for the NYR than a head GM somewhere else. This is the NYR baby, the flag ship of the leauge. Sure you can be the number one guy for some team out in the dessert & not get the reconization that you would get in NY, but the team is yours, You are free to do what you want to it, it will take on your personality & persona. But being the #2 man for the NYR comes with its perks, people look @ you diffrently.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If Maloney does go to Phoenix,maybe the Rangers will get the Coyotes first round pick as compensation
For a assistant GM? Sounds like allot. Is there a market-rate?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 04:32 PM
casualobserver

So Baloney Maloney has been with the NYR for 10 years.What did he do during the
7 years we spent in hockeys Siberia? Silch... The house cleaning in 2004 was strictly
Slats not BM.All I hear Baloney say is that the kids in Hartford weren't ready.
Tell that to Girardi and Callahan. That baloney maloney would not know a prospect
if it bit him in the ass.The sooner he is gone the better.

casualobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
So Baloney Maloney has been with the NYR for 10 years.What did he do during the
7 years we spent in hockeys Siberia? Silch... The house cleaning in 2004 was strictly
Slats not BM.All I hear Baloney say is that the kids in Hartford weren't ready.
Tell that to Girardi and Callahan. That baloney maloney would not know a prospect
if it bit him in the ass.The sooner he is gone the better.
ummmm so many things wrong here...especially since he has said there are like 5 kids down on the farm that look ready.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
why would he leave? he has the best job in the world. everything that goes right, he gets credit for, and everything that goes wrong, Sather gets blamed for.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I also doubt that Mess's comments had any effect on Maloney's decision to interview.

As much as alot of folks think that Mess is loved, I doubt very much he would be considered for the position over Don.

Maloney is to far entrenched in the workings of this franchise and going from him to Mess would set this franchise back years upon years.

Glen needs to take a step back and allow the guys under him to take on more prominant roles in the Org.

Make official what we already think we know.

Dolan thinks the bigger the name the better....I can see Maloney bolting because he knows Messier is the next in line...

Maloney is in a field of about 100 for the Coyotes job...

It's a good statement in how far things have come for the Rangers that guys like Maloney are being looked at by other teams...

I wouldn't be surprised if Pearn or Pelino start being considered around the league...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
why would he leave? he has the best job in the world. everything that goes right, he gets credit for, and everything that goes wrong, Sather gets blamed for.
LMAO! And if we win while he is in Phoenix, we don't care. If we take a single step back from last year, like you said, it is all on Sather.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Hahahaha very very true... either its Sather's fault or Renneys....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

My 2 cents, Maloney has paid his dues here and deserves the GM slot. If he doesn't get it and leaves it will be a big step backwards for the organization. I think Renney & Maloney think alike and are in zync with each other.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 06:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nice to see Wayne Gretzky is putting all of his energy towards making the Coyotes a better product

Quote:
The Phoenix Coyotes are excited to announce that Head Coach Wayne Gretzky will attend the American Idol rally on Friday to honor Valley native and American Idol contestant Jordin Sparks. Gretzky will present Sparks with a personalized jersey at the rally honoring the singer tomorrow afternoon in Glendale at the Westgate City Center.
http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/p...ls.php?ID=5810

There isn't a CHL or AHL playoff series to scout?

Old
05-12-2007, 04:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"We think (by) the draft is imperative,” Gretzky said. “Not so much in drafting players, but when you’re trying to make deals, you need a guy who knows the hockey land for trading picks for other picks, moving up in the draft or moving down in the draft.”
Quote:
The Coyotes have said their list of candidates is nine deep, but team sources said there could be more. Vancouver assistant GM Steve Tambellini, Anaheim VP of hockey operations Bob Murray and Toronto pro scout Craig Button are believed to be among the names Phoenix would consider
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/89542

Old
05-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Maloney didn't run the draft last year and won't run it this year either.Gordie Clark is now responsible for the draft selections.After the lockout,he was promoted to the Rangers Head Amateur Scout.He joined the Rangers as a pro scout in 2002 after failing to reach terms with Charles Wang on a new contract.He was Mike Milbury's right hand man on LI(ran their drafts) and also worked for the Bruins as their chief scout.Clark held various positions with Bruins when MM was there
Yes I know Clark was brought in, but wasen't it Maloney that brought him in?

Also heard it from the horses mouth that he indeed(Maloney) is the person in charge at the draft. I'm sure Clark is responsible though for the rankings and whatnot.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I stand corrected. Off the Rangers site it says that in Gordie Clark ran the draft table for the firt time in 06.

I have met Maloney on a few occasions now. We spoke about the draft, and I asked him where was a good place to get "dialed in" on the prospects. He told to get a copy of the Redline Report, and also that they were based out of Lake Placid NY. He also told me that his duties were to run the draft. That was 2 years ago .

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 01:09 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Maloney leaving and opening the door for Messier would IMO eventually lead to Renney leaving as well. Do we want Maloney/Renney or Messier and the old boys club? I vote for Maloney & renney they seem to be the real deal, plus they work great together.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 09:01 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDubinsky View Post
Maloney leaving and opening the door for Messier would IMO eventually lead to Renney leaving as well. Do we want Maloney/Renney or Messier and the old boys club? I vote for Maloney & renney they seem to be the real deal, plus they work great together.
Messier would no doubt deal prospects for veterans and contend for a Cup NOW. Three years later it'll be 1997 all over again.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Dammit Sather, step down as GM if Don is going to go to PHX.
Definitely be cool to have Maloney stay with us, but why exactly would Sather ever step down? He really has no reason to.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
No doubt the possible loss of assistant GM Don Maloney to Phoenix as GM would be a blow to the Rangers' front office. But despite all he does, no one should make the mistake of presuming Maloney operates as the club's de facto general manager.

Glen Sather is in charge. He makes the calls. As much blame as he deserved for his pre-lockout decisions, Sather deserves an equal amount of the credit for those that have followed. It couldn't be more wrong to believe he has somehow become a figurehead.

"I like it in the background," Sather told Slap Shots between Games 4 and 5 of the Buffalo series. "I enjoy being able to build things this way."

Maloney is far from gone. Even if he gets an offer, unless the money is overwhelming (and wouldn't the Garden match, anyway?) is it really the wisest career decision to move to the league's most dysfunctional organization
?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05132007...oks.htm?page=2

The Coyotes lost $30 million this season.They will be paying Michael Barnett and Cliff Fletcher to do nothing.How much more money are they willing to sink into paying another executive when the real power broker is already in the fold?

Old
05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
My 2 cents, Maloney has paid his dues here and deserves the GM slot. If he doesn't get it and leaves it will be a big step backwards for the organization. I think Renney & Maloney think alike and are in zync with each other.
Anyone else got a hunch that Maloney and Renney aren't 100% eye to eye?

In one second Renney says that the kids needs time, the other Maloney says 6 guys down in HFD could play right away.

I've heard rumors that some Renney supporters in the Rangers organization had started to turn on Renney before the seasons turned. Could have been Dolan, and the Orr comment he made after he wasn't dressed against Philly part I, but I didn't get it that way.

Though, take it for what its worth, just slow news-day speculation.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote