HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney Named GM of PHX

Old
05-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Anyone else got a hunch that Maloney and Renney aren't 100% eye to eye?

In one second Renney says that the kids needs time, the other Maloney says 6 guys down in HFD could play right away.

I've heard rumors that some Renney supporters in the Rangers organization had started to turn on Renney before the seasons turned. Could have been Dolan, and the Orr comment he made after he wasn't dressed against Philly part I, but I didn't get it that way.

Though, take it for what its worth, just slow news-day speculation.
its cause renney does so many damn things that make you scratch your head and say "***?!"

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 01:49 PM
FmmF3*

Renney talks out of both sides of his mouth. Hes very smart, and those are the qualities he needs to be a successful coach in NY. His style keeps the press at bay. Thats all. He's just covering his ass in case of the future.

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 02:09 PM
DutchShamrock

I really don't think Messier is a factor in this thing what so ever. I don't think anyone in the Rangers organization truly believes that he is a candidate for the job. I don't think Dolan has any say in who Sather hires (if that was the case would Renney really be the head coach?) I don't think Maloney is going to get the job. As much as I like him, there are alot of good candidates and former GMs in the pool. Ranger Boy brings up a good point with compensation because guys like Maclean won't cost anything in that regard.

Could you imagine Mess as GM? He is immortal in my eyes as a player, but if the rumblings are true about him running certain guys out of town as a Captain you can only begin to imagine the Keenan-like moves he would make over petty issues. Avoid a check, bye-bye Tyutin. Don't come back from injury quick enough, so long Callahan. Close to a cup, Staal for Sakic. What management experience does he have? What experience does he have with operating with a cap? Draft? Trades? This is the New York Rangers. I'm just some schmuck in Jersey, I think the guys at MSG have it figured out.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I really don't think Messier is a factor in this thing what so ever. I don't think anyone in the Rangers organization truly believes that he is a candidate for the job. I don't think Dolan has any say in who Sather hires (if that was the case would Renney really be the head coach?) I don't think Maloney is going to get the job. As much as I like him, there are alot of good candidates and former GMs in the pool. Ranger Boy brings up a good point with compensation because guys like Maclean won't cost anything in that regard.

Could you imagine Mess as GM? He is immortal in my eyes as a player, but if the rumblings are true about him running certain guys out of town as a Captain you can only begin to imagine the Keenan-like moves he would make over petty issues. Avoid a check, bye-bye Tyutin. Don't come back from injury quick enough, so long Callahan. Close to a cup, Staal for Sakic. What management experience does he have? What experience does he have with operating with a cap? Draft? Trades? This is the New York Rangers. I'm just some schmuck in Jersey, I think the guys at MSG have it figured out.

For me it's a tough pill to swallow, but when I think about what Mess said a few months ago along with the timing.....I'd have to say your right. Those statements IMO were all you needed to know about the type of GM Mess would make. The guy has a lot to learn and he does not seem to get that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yeah i hate to say it and it might totally off the mark here (no pun intended) -

But what if Mess, once the savior of the Rangers in the 90's becomes the predeccesor of a failed GM in Sather (who turned it around late in his tenure) - and after a ressurection of the team destroys the team chemistry and identity, because of his lack of experience and thick-headedness with important decisions...

I really hope this doesnt happen, because not only would the Rangers be back in the tank but it would make a HELL of a story and it would be at OUR expense.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I would think Messier is smarter than that, but all it takes is one bad UFA signing or trade to change everything.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Levitate

Messier as the Rangers GM would be a disaster. I'd kind of scratch my head if Maloney left, though. He's always seemed real excited about what he's put together when it comes to the Rangers prospects, and I feel like he'd want to see the fruits of that labor. But that's just complete speculation.

Messier though...ugh. I have a feeling it'd be another 7 years and we'd be seeing Neil Smith type moves.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

E.J. Hradek

Quote:
In Phoenix, the Coyotes will continue their GM search this week. They held seven interviews last week, speaking to four ex-GMs (Neil Smith, Craig Patrick, Doug MacLean and Don Maloney), one assistant GM (Jeff Gorton), one minor league GM (Kevin Cheveldayoff) and an agent (Brian Lawton).

Of that group, Smith seems far and away the best candidate. It will be interesting who else will be interviewed by Wayne Gretzky and Co. Ducks senior VP of hockey operations Bob Murray and ex-Flames GM/Leafs scout Craig Button should be on their list.

Meanwhile, in Columbus, Blue Jackets team president Mike Priest will begin interviewing outside candidates this week. Dallas assistant GM Les Jackson, former Kings GM Dave Taylor, Button and Smith are among those who are expected to get interviews
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=hradek_ej

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mark Messier is not going to be the Rangers GM.Don Maloney isn't going to be the Rangers GM.Glen Sather is the Rangers GM and has no immediate plans on giving up that role

Old
05-15-2007, 08:23 AM
shoothepuck

Maloney is not going to get the Job. Smith would be the most likely one, but Wayne needs to get it right, to get that franchise going.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 07:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
DON MALONEY APPLIES FOR THE PHOENIX G.M. JOB: Good for Donny. He’s been a loyal soldier in the Rangers’ high command and certainly has experience. This is a good time to revive a franchise that needs a helluva lot more than Wayne Gretzky behind the bench.

But does Maloney want to be a GM subservient to his coach? Or, to put it another way; do you think Donny ever could fire Wayne? (Does the sun rise in the West?)
http://blogs.msg.com/the_maven/

The sun rises from the east and sets in the west

Old
05-17-2007, 07:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Multiple NHL sources told The Dispatch yesterday that Neil Smith, a former general manager of the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders, interviewed with club president Mike Priest at an undisclosed location in central Ohio.

Others believed to be on the interview schedule for this week are Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Rick Dudley, former Los Angeles Kings GM Dave Taylor and former Pittsburgh Penguins GM Craig Patrick.

It's believed the interviews will stretch into next week and possibly beyond.

Other candidates expected to make their way to Columbus include Vancouver Canucks assistant GM Steve Tambellini, Dallas Stars assistant GM Les Jackson and former Calgary Flames GM Craig Button.

The Blue Jackets have requested permission to interview Button from the Toronto Maple Leafs, for whom he serves as a scout. The Leafs have not granted permission, but it is expected. Leafs management has told Button that it won't stand in the way of a job offer
http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/con...1_9B6O9R3.html

No mention of Maloney with Columbus

Old
05-19-2007, 05:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Coyotes have narrowed their list of candidates for their general manager job to three and plan to hold final interviews next week, a team source said Friday. The final group was pared down from the original seven who interviewed last week.

Kevin Cheveldayoff, GM of the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League for the past nine seasons, is one of the finalists, said the source, who declined to identify the other two.

The Tribune has learned Neil Smith, former GM of the New York Rangers and New York Islanders, and player agent Brian Lawton are no longer in the running. That leaves Craig Patrick and Doug MacLean, ex-GMs of Pittsburgh and Columbus, respectively, and assistant GMs Don Maloney (Rangers) and Jeff Gorton (Boston).

NHL sources indicated Maloney and Gorton are the other finalists
Quote:
The Coyotes will interview one candidate a day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then plan on making a decision. They intend to have their new GM in place prior to the NHL draft, June 22-23.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/90010

Old
05-19-2007, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Three of the Coyotes' general manager candidates will return for second interviews with team officials early next week.

An industry source said two of the candidates are Don Maloney, assistant general manager of the New York Rangers, and Kevin Cheveldayoff, general manger of the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League.

Although it is likely that the new GM would be selected from that group, the door was not closed on the possibility than an 11th-hour candidate could emerge
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...igest0519.html

Old
05-19-2007, 09:41 AM
NYR469

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Out curiosity, did anyone actually hear the interview where Messier said that?

I'm wondering because a friend of mine said Messier's words were taken out of context and embelished a wee-bit. I really don't know , one way ot the other.

The part I read of Messiers words indicated that he was fully aware that he needed to start at a lower level position, learn and work his way up from there. Seemed like he was talking in terms for the long term future. Seemed like he wasn't assuming he could do the job right now, but that he would like to start working and learning to some day do that job. But maybe I'm wrong.

I got the impression when he said he "wants Sather's job", that he didn't mean he wanted to unseat Sather now. Rather that he wanted to be the GM of the Rangers in the future, after Sather retires. Not that he wanted the Rangers to fire Sather now and hand him (Messier) the job right now.

Maybe I mis-interpreted.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

That Eklund guy wrote a couple of days ago in the blog that Kevin Cheveldayoff was the favorite for the Coyotes position and if his team was not still involved in the AHL playoffs,he would be the Coyotes GM right now

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun wrote last Sunday

Quote:
While everybody and his grandmother has interviewed to become general manager of the Phoenix Coyotes, minor league GM Kevin Cheveldayoff blew people away with his interview. He's no longer a long shot for the job ... Better question than who ends up as GM in Phoenix: Who ends up in goal?
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columni...76513-sun.html

Larry Brooks wrote last week the Garden would match any financial offer Maloney would possibly receive from Phoenix

The Rangers could make a counter offer

I just don't like the Coyotes poaching an important member of the Rangers FO who is already under contract.After 6-7 years of going the Gretzky way with all of his goombas holding every important position,the Coyotes braintrust just woke up and realized the team wasn't getting any better

The Rangers should demand compensation-the Coyotes 2nd first round pick(from Dallas for Ladislav Nagy)#21.The Rangers would be losing an important member of their FO and they should be compensated for it.That's all

Old
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should demand compensation-the Coyotes 2nd first round pick(from Dallas for Ladislav Nagy)#21.The Rangers would be losing an important member of their FO and they should be compensated for it.That's all
I'm sure they would be compensated.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 08:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers would be losing an important member of their FO and they should be compensated for it.
I'd be fine letting him go in exchange for their #1 in 08. That Tavares kid would look pretty good in red, white and blue. That's assuming he can even become eligible in '08. But regardless, Phoenix should contend for the overall worst team next year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Maloney receives an offer from Phoenix and accepts the offer,the Rangers should promote Gordie Clark to Maloney's current position and promote Tim Murray to replace Clark

Continuity

Clark joined the Rangers before the 2002-03 season as a pro scout.He also did some amateur scouting.Clark spent three seasons in the scouting role before being promoted to Head Amateur Scout after the lockout.He will be running his 2nd draft for the Rangers next month.Before joining the Rangers,Clark was the Islanders assistant GM/Director of Player Personnel under Mike Milbury and ran the Bridgeport AHL team.Clark left the Islanders after a contract squabble with Commander Wang who offered one year extensions to Clark and the Islanders scouting staff because MM only had one season remaining on his contract.Clark ran the drafts for the Islanders and had input in other personnel issues.Before joining MM on LI,Clark was the Bruins director of scouting.Clark knows the young players in the Rangers system.He selected the 2006 picks and will select next month's kids.Clark is currently in his 5th season with the Rangers

Tim Murray was Anaheim's director of player personnel from 2002-03 to 2004-05.His contract was not renewed by Brian Burke and the Rangers hired him as an amateur scout.Murray joined the Rangers before the 2005 draft.Before the Ducks gig,Murray was the Panthers director of amateur scouting from 1998-99 to 2001-02.He spent four more seasons as a Panthers scout 1994-95-1997-98 before becoming the scouting boss

Quote:
"Getzlaf is going to be a big, strong power forward, a center iceman with very good skills and offensive instincts," Director of Player Personnel Tim Murray. said. "He showed that when he played with better players in the World Juniors. I think he rose to the occasion and showed at a higher level what kind of player he is going to be"

"I saw him at the World Juniors in North Dakota and then with the Czech national team at the Swedish games," Murray said. "He was the youngest player in that tournament and didn't look out of place at all. He just turned 19 in February and he's playing a regular shift on his team's blue line rotation. He has very good hockey sense and instincts for the game. He just has to mature and get stronger. That's the easiest thing a prospect can do
."
http://www.nhl.com/futures/features/...ana032305.html

Old
05-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Ola

RangerBoy- Dont know much about Gordie Clarke. Sounds like a good option.

I wonder if Schoenfield also could be a option if Maloney bolts.

If Maloney is out of here, it defenitly seems like Renney is the one who will take over after Slats down the road. I am sure he currently got a ton of input, just not making the final calls. Schoney also know most of the kids as well as anyone, and could be a good stop gap...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 11:09 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The 3rd GM candidate is Bruins assistant GM Jeff Gorton.

But that's a good idea for the Rangers to get some sort of compensation for Maloney if he leaves.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Benoit Allaire?

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Coyotes will conclude the interview process today in their search for a new general manager, and if all goes well, could announce a hiring within the next few days.

“We could make a decision this week,” a team source said Tuesday. “Whether that decision gets executed this week, that’s another thing altogether. I don’t think it’s going to take us long.”

Phoenix has already had second interviews with two of the three final candidates, Kevin Cheveldayoff, GM of the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League, and Don Maloney, assistant GM of the New York Rangers, and will talk to the third today.

That candidate is not Boston assistant GM Jeff Gorton as originally thought, but rather John Weisbrod, ex-GM of the NBA’s Orlando Magic, the source said. Weisbrod’s name was not included among the original list of candidates the team released, but he did have an earlier interview
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/90246

Quote:
A little mystery had surrounded the identity of one of the trio, but a league source said Tuesday that it is John Weisbrod, former general manager of the Orlando Magic of the NBA. At one time, he served as vice president and general manager of the Orlando Solar Bears in the International Hockey League and the team won a Turner Cup championship.

The other two candidates are Assistant General Manager Don Maloney of the New York Rangers and the general manager of the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League, Kevin Cheveldayoff
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...otenb0523.html

Weisbrod has ties to Coyotes boss Doug Moss who used to run MSG Network a long time ago.Moss was the president of the IHL when Weisbrod was the GM in Orlando

Maloney doesn't want to leave New York.He decided to go through the interview process to get a feel of how it works.If the Coyotes offer him the position,he will have a decision to make.Take the position with all of its subplots or wait for a better position to open up down the road.Maybe Glen Sather decide to give up the reigns someday.He was the Islanders assistant GM when he was named the Islanders GM.Maloney went from playing to being in the front office

Old
05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Reports out of Phoenix suggest the GM search is down to three candidates, but other sources in the hockey industry insist the final choice will be Chicago Wolves GM Kevin Cheveldayoff.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news...p?idNews=24873

The Wolves are down 3-0 in their series to Hamilton

If you read the quote from the above post about the decision being made and not being executed until a later date,it sounds like Cheveldayoff.Phoenix is waiting until Chicago is finished