HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What The Rangers Need or Should Do This Offseason-Weigh In

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2007, 01:16 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
What The Rangers Need or Should Do This Offseason-Weigh In

Why the Rangers struggled at the start, middle, and lost in 6 games to Buffalo:
-Lundqvist with sophomore jink early
-Then no second line scoring, center
-Blowing 2 goal leads, not playing well, too tight with leads

Revelation:
-We figuered out Cullen's role is best as 3rd line secondary center, he is not consistent enough to be a top six foward
-We have a strong defensive system and goaltender, BUT our defense lacks some mobility, sense, skill, and offense AND we lack enough consistent scoring which is why we lost

The Now:
-What we need to do is decide if we are a near contender and add OR if we went as far as we could and need to rebuild with kids to avoid 1997 all over.

I say do both.
-Get a second line center who can score consistently and slot Cullen on the 3rd line.
-Get a top pairing defenseman or AT LEAST a top four to replace or bump down Malik
-Do not keep Rachunek
-Let Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Immonen, and Staal compete for legitimate ice time, BUT DO NOT count on them.

What does this mean?
-Don't pencil them in but try and be flexible so they aren't stuck for waste on line four.
-Get a backup goalie or make certain Valiquette can play 25-30 games, Lundqvist needs to be protected, see the Isles with DiPi.
-Go after a Drury, Briere, or Lecavalier
-Trade Prucha ONLY for someone like Vinny or Seabrook, a defenseman we need

-Prucha I love him BUT he falls into that category of not being consistent enought to be counted as a top six foward AND we have to consider making room for Dubinsky, Callahan, or Dawes on the 3rd line.

-Hossa I have no clue.

-Don't go after Gomez, he's too small for our needs and too much like Nylander, a passer not scorer.
We have that in Cullen as well.
-Don't dump Prucha, but if he can get us that 2nd line center or defenseman, do it.

-Bottom line, improve smartly with 1-3 players; a 2nd line center, top pair defenseman, or failing that top four who can score and have better hockey sense.
-Get a backup
-Allow room for the kids on line 3 and 4 and call ups.

I think this not only best suits the current team, as we are with Jagr and Lundqvist NOT an aging 1997 team but also long term?
Agree?

Hossa/Straka-Nylander-Jagr
H/S/Prucha-Vinny/Drury/Briere-Shannahan
Avery-Cullen-Callahan/Prucha/Dubinsky
Hollweg-Betts-Orty/Dawes/Orr
Immonen call up

Seabrook/other-Rozivahl
Tyutin-Giradi
Mara-Malik/Pock
Staal if ready

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Old
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by iglooed View Post
Why the Rangers struggled at the start, middle, and lost in 6 games to Buffalo:
-Lundqvist with sophomore jink early
-Then no second line scoring, center
-Blowing 2 goal leads, not playing well, too tight with leads

Revelation:
-We figuered out Cullen's role is best as 3rd line secondary center, he is not consistent enough to be a top six foward
-We have a strong defensive system and goaltender, BUT our defense lacks some mobility, sense, skill, and offense AND we lack enough consistent scoring which is why we lost

The Now:
-What we need to do is decide if we are a near contender and add OR if we went as far as we could and need to rebuild with kids to avoid 1997 all over.

I say do both.
-Get a second line center who can score consistently and slot Cullen on the 3rd line.
-Get a top pairing defenseman or AT LEAST a top four to replace or bump down Malik
-Do not keep Rachunek
-Let Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Immonen, and Staal compete for legitimate ice time, BUT DO NOT count on them.

What does this mean?
-Don't pencil them in but try and be flexible so they aren't stuck for waste on line four.
-Get a backup goalie or make certain Valiquette can play 25-30 games, Lundqvist needs to be protected, see the Isles with DiPi.
-Go after a Drury, Briere, or Lecavalier
-Trade Prucha ONLY for someone like Vinny or Seabrook, a defenseman we need

-Prucha I love him BUT he falls into that category of not being consistent enought to be counted as a top six foward AND we have to consider making room for Dubinsky, Callahan, or Dawes on the 3rd line.

-Hossa I have no clue.

-Don't go after Gomez, he's too small for our needs and too much like Nylander, a passer not scorer.
We have that in Cullen as well.
-Don't dump Prucha, but if he can get us that 2nd line center or defenseman, do it.

-Bottom line, improve smartly with 1-3 players; a 2nd line center, top pair defenseman, or failing that top four who can score and have better hockey sense.
-Get a backup
-Allow room for the kids on line 3 and 4 and call ups.

I think this not only best suits the current team, as we are with Jagr and Lundqvist NOT an aging 1997 team but also long term?
Agree?

Hossa/Straka-Nylander-Jagr
H/S/Prucha-Vinny/Drury/Briere-Shannahan
Avery-Cullen-Callahan/Prucha/Dubinsky
Hollweg-Betts-Orty/Dawes/Orr
Immonen call up

Seabrook/other-Rozivahl
Tyutin-Giradi
Mara-Malik/Pock
Staal if ready

Lundqvist
Valiquette
lol, the Blackhawks arent trading there number one defenseman, not for Petr Prucha. Has eklund finally penetrated HF boards?

Old
05-11-2007, 01:36 AM
mucker*

Just an example, we could use a top defenseman or at least top four and dealing Prucha IN THAT CASE I feel would be wise.

Old
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I wish we could get Seabrook. That ain't happenin'

Old
05-11-2007, 07:30 AM
geisenNYR

The most important thing to do is resign Avery, Nylander and Shanny. Then find a slid defensman who can quarterback a PP.

Old
05-11-2007, 07:31 AM
DarthSather99

I think we still need to restock the farm. I'd be very interested in trading for a top pick in this years draft to get Turris/Van Riemsdyke, while keeping our own and getting someone like Petricki. I believe Washington and Phoenix have been rumored to be interested in trading their pick.

We need a TOP young talent at the forward postion. It will be close to impossible to get one through free agency or a trade without leaving the team with salary cap problems in the near future.

Old
05-11-2007, 07:53 AM
alkurtz

This years draft is just not that strong, even at the top. Good players, perhaps star players, but no sure fire, "can't miss" player. Therefore, there is no reason to give up any valueable assets to trade up.

Valiquette is just not an NHL caliber goalie. Do you really want him playing 20-25 games or so? I don't. Though he is still somewhat inconsistent, Montoya has outgrown the AHL. Keeping him down on the farm will, at this point, ****** his development. He needs to play in the NHL. Sounds weird, but Lundqvist is now the veteran, experienced goalie, and Montoya the young, learning backup. As per the 100s of other posts on the subject, be opportunistic with any potential trades for Montoya but don't give him away.

Sign either Drury, Briere, or Gomez. Though none of the three are ideal for our needs, we do desperately need another center. You must be opportunistic with free agents and grab opportunities as they arise. You never know what the future will bring...many of the players who may be UFAs after 08 or 09 may be locked up by their teams before then. Who knows how many more productive years Nylander has....we need to have a potential #1 center ready for that day and our farm system doesn't have one. So, sign one of the three currently available. By signing free agents, you don't give up any assets. Imagine what we would have to give up for Vinny L?

Don't resign Rachunek. Give Pock and Staal (perhaps Baranka though he seems to have slipped in the years of Ranger brass) a legit chance to make the team.
Aside from throwing all of our money at one big free agent, don't sign anyone else. Leave room for some of the young guys to compete, make the team, and play. How many vet free agent dmen have we signed over the years that just didn't work out (Ward being the latest)?

Trades are unpredictable: it takes two to tango and at this point it is impossible to predict any trades.

Old
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

First off, we don't really need Seabrook. We have Staal who is better. It'll just be too many big defensemen that need to be paid a couple years down the road.

Second, Prucha's not going to be traded for a Lecavalier. He'd be part of a package to get a Horton or something, which I also think would be worthless. You're trading a wing for a center who do pretty much the same thing in essence. I think it's not wise to trade Prucha until the following occur:
1. You give him a chance to put on some size
2. Callahan or Dawes prove that they can play a full season and do well throughout.

Don't forget it's easy to say Callahan played great in the playoffs, but he didn't play a full NHL season beforehand. There's a big difference between the NHL & the AHL.

Old
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
There are plenty of threads that talk about the offseason like this please use one of them.