HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What or who do we have to sacrifice to get

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2003, 07:16 AM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,480
vCash: 500
What or who do we have to sacrifice to get

our Power Play back on track?

1 for our last 35 advantages

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 07:22 AM
  #2
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
our Power Play back on track?

1 for our last 35 advantages
I'm not sure we can do anything. Our great D play has always driven our powerplay and as I've run into the ground many times, Timonen is just in a slump. He's not seeing the ice as well as he usually does and his split second decisions are off. That and I feel like, as a team, we've gone away from getting Zids the puck with a chance to shoot. We've made him nothing but a perimeter player on the PP. Another thing that frustrates me is having Timonen and Zids always start out the PP on the wrong sides and then switching 30 seconds or so into it. It wastes valuable time and chances because Zids or Timonen are not going to one-time backhand a shot on goal. That, and I think our forwards are playing poorly. Players like Legwand need step it up. He's been rather bad lately and really needs to use his full arsenal. He doesn't have Kovalchuk's shot, but it isn't that bad. But, when he's on the PP, he never shoots unless he's absolutely certain someone will block it

In short, it's combination of things. I'd like to see some fresh blood in the forwards units but other than that, not much will change our PP but time.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:19 AM
  #3
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Creativity up front.

Our forwards just aren't getting the job done. They can't hold on to the puck. They can't get things set up. They can't create anything once they get the puck. Zidlicky and Timonen compensated for them earlier in the year, now their ineptness is showing.

Hopefully Johansson will provide a boost when he comes back. I think he's our best forward on the powerplay (that's not saying much though).

Unfortunatley, the guy whose eating up all the forward powerplay time, Legwand, might as well be drinking it up in the Bud Light Party Zone. I don't think he's created one powerplay goal on his own this year.

This is how I'd rank our forwards in powerplay ability:
1) Johansson
2) Erat
3) Walker

After that, they're all pluggers at this point.

We really need a center capable of running the powerplay (from a foward standpoint). I'd atleast consider Ronning again. He would be a short-term solution to what looks like a long-term problem.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:22 AM
  #4
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I don't know that I'd call Zman inept on the PP. I think PP is goign to be his forte in the future. However, it is obvious that Timonen is really struggling right now. I don't really have any recommendations other than give zman some more chances to shoot and light a fire under leggy's butt.

crossxcheck is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:23 AM
  #5
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
We really need a center capable of running the powerplay (from a foward standpoint). I'd atleast consider Ronning again. He would be a short-term solution to what looks like a long-term problem.

I'd entertain that thought for the right price. Sadly, I don't think the right price will be coming out of Leopold's wallet any time soon.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:26 AM
  #6
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I don't know that I'd call Zman inept on the PP. I think PP is goign to be his forte in the future. However, it is obvious that Timonen is really struggling right now. I don't really have any recommendations other than give zman some more chances to shoot and light a fire under leggy's butt.

He's hardly inept. It's not his fault that our PP is struggling (other than the fact that he doesn't shoot enough). He's dynamite if we give him some help. He's creating chances, but we don't have enough finishers to help him. We need one more creative offensive threat (that might be Erat) and we need one finisher.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:31 AM
  #7
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I don't know that I'd call Zman inept on the PP.
I wasn't calling him inept. I said he compensated for the forwards ineptness earlier in the year.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:38 AM
  #8
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'd entertain that thought for the right price. Sadly, I don't think the right price will be coming out of Leopold's wallet any time soon.
Well, supposedly, the hold up before was that we offered him a 2-way contract. That's kind of a slap in the face, in my opinion. I mean we give guys like Kloucek a one-way, but don't give one to 20 year veteran? Basically, it says "We want you, but we might play you in the minors. So we aren't sure how much we want you." I would be hesitant too.

I don't think he would be that much a burden financially. Once he starts, we send someone else down making minor league money.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 10:21 AM
  #9
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Well, supposedly, the hold up before was that we offered him a 2-way contract. That's kind of a slap in the face, in my opinion. I mean we give guys like Kloucek a one-way, but don't give one to 20 year veteran? Basically, it says "We want you, but we might play you in the minors. So we aren't sure how much we want you." I would be hesitant too.

I don't think he would be that much a burden financially. Once he starts, we send someone else down making minor league money.
Look, I know you are big Ronning booster, but does the fact NOBODY has signed him not tell you something?
His contract expectations are unrealistic for a guy that us on the sidelines right now. And putting Ronning on the roster means we have to sit or send down somebody there now. Who would that be???

darth5 is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 07:44 PM
  #10
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
Look, I know you are big Ronning booster, but does the fact NOBODY has signed him not tell you something?
His contract expectations are unrealistic for a guy that us on the sidelines right now. And putting Ronning on the roster means we have to sit or send down somebody there now. Who would that be???
you at least have to admit that there is no way that Ronning is going to play for a 2-way contract. no veteran ever would, at least not one that's played as well as Cliff.

that being said, I think he'd be a temporary solution at best, and we don't need to bring him in just to cure the power play. the special teams go in streaks and I think it'll pick back up before long.

predhead1 is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 07:58 PM
  #11
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
One thing you guys are also forgetting is that many players who would get signed aren't. Its all for the upcoming CBA. That is why Ronning hasn't been signed yet.

Jarnberg is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 08:14 PM
  #12
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
One thing you guys are also forgetting is that many players who would get signed aren't. Its all for the upcoming CBA. That is why Ronning hasn't been signed yet.
you're right. that's one reason that they haven't signed Ronning, or any other of the numerous FAs that might help us this year. i wonder if it'll change when we get closer to the playoffs.

predhead1 is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:18 PM
  #13
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,496
vCash: 500
I don't think our set-up is the problem, I think finishing is period and Ronning isn't going to help that any. We need a guy who can finish down low, we don't have that guy right now, maybe Shishkanov is.

triggrman is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:28 PM
  #14
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I don't think our set-up is the problem, I think finishing is period and Ronning isn't going to help that any. We need a guy who can finish down low, we don't have that guy right now, maybe Shishkanov is.
yeah, we've been waiting for that guy for 5 seasons now. how much does it suck that we weren't in a position to draft Nash or Kovalchuk??? it's like fate is working against us or something.

predhead1 is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:31 PM
  #15
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I don't think our set-up is the problem, I think finishing is period and Ronning isn't going to help that any. We need a guy who can finish down low, we don't have that guy right now, maybe Shishkanov is.
I think it's much more than just lacking a finisher. We can't keep control of the puck. We can't set anything up. We look lost. I have very little doubt that Ronning could help in that department.

Ronning is no true goalscorer, but he's certainly as good as anyone else on the team in the goalscoring department. He's averaged about 20 goals a year his entire career. That's way more than anyone on our current team.

It's not that nobody wants Ronning. Several teams have inquired. He's just holding out for the "right" situation. A two-way contract is not the right situation for him. And if the "right" situation doens't present itself, he'll retire.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 09:42 PM
  #16
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,496
vCash: 500
Yeh, then why was our powerplay so bad when Ronning was here? It's ranked higher now than if ever was when he was leading it. I think some of us look back at Ronning being something more than a good stick handling undersized one dimensional center.

I'm about as much of a Ronning fan as you are a Legwand fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

triggrman is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 10:05 PM
  #17
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Yeh, then why was our powerplay so bad when Ronning was here? It's ranked higher now than if ever was when he was leading it. I think some of us look back at Ronning being something more than a good stick handling undersized one dimensional center.

I'm about as much of a Ronning fan as you are a Legwand fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Damn straight. I'm a huge fan of Cliffy, but some people seem to think that he'd lead us to the promised land if he came back. the unfortunate truth is that we need someone a lot better than Ronning to make a difference with our current team.

They are doing much better on the power play this season than they have in years past, in large part due to Zidlicky. Let's just hope we're going through a slump now and that Zids and Timmo will get it going again soon.

predhead1 is offline  
Old
12-21-2003, 10:50 PM
  #18
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Yeh, then why was our powerplay so bad when Ronning was here? It's ranked higher now than if ever was when he was leading it. I think some of us look back at Ronning being something more than a good stick handling undersized one dimensional center.
I knew someone was going to say this. You are right, when Cliff played the PP for the Preds, he was 100% responisble for the outcome.

The fact is when Ronning "ran" the powerplay, he had crap to work with. Guys like Kjellberg, Krivokrasov, rookie Legwand, Berehowsky, etc were regulars are the powerplay.

Anyways, last time Cliff was here, in 2001-02, our powerplay percentage was 14.2%. Last year, without Ronning, it was 13.8% . Do you what it is this year? 14.5%, the marginal improvement mainly due to Zidlicky.

Ronning is good on the powerplay. He has excellent puck control, and he knows how to utilize it on the PP. He has excellent vision. He isn't afraid to shot the puck on net. He would undoubteably be an improvement over some of the current powerplay regulars.


Last edited by dulzhok: 12-21-2003 at 10:53 PM.
dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 03:43 AM
  #19
biscuithead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I knew someone was going to say this. You are right, when Cliff played the PP for the Preds, he was 100% responisble for the outcome.

The fact is when Ronning "ran" the powerplay, he had crap to work with. Guys like Kjellberg, Krivokrasov, rookie Legwand, Berehowsky, etc were regulars are the powerplay.

Anyways, last time Cliff was here, in 2001-02, our powerplay percentage was 14.2%. Last year, without Ronning, it was 13.8% . Do you what it is this year? 14.5%, the marginal improvement mainly due to Zidlicky.

Ronning is good on the powerplay. He has excellent puck control, and he knows how to utilize it on the PP. He has excellent vision. He isn't afraid to shot the puck on net. He would undoubteably be an improvement over some of the current powerplay regulars.
I wouldn't pay Ronning the kind of money I'm sure he wants just to run our PP and that's essentially what you all are saying. You can't sit a young center in favor of Cliff which is why he's no longer here.

Our PP at 14.5% is more than a marginal improvement when you consider that Zids, a major component, is brand new and our second unit has a rookie-Hamhuis!

Be patient, at times the PP has carried us this year.

biscuithead is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 04:21 AM
  #20
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok

The fact is when Ronning "ran" the powerplay, he had crap to work with. Guys like Kjellberg, Krivokrasov, rookie Legwand, Berehowsky, etc were regulars are the powerplay.

Anyways, last time Cliff was here, in 2001-02, our powerplay percentage was 14.2%. Last year, without Ronning, it was 13.8% . Do you what it is this year? 14.5%, the marginal improvement mainly due to Zidlicky.
Ronning had Walker as well, in fact he had a more healthy Walker.

Our powerplay tanked last having Johnson-Hartnell-Walker as the only players on it after Legwand and AJ went down.

triggrman is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 06:35 AM
  #21
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Ronning had Walker as well, in fact he had a more healthy Walker.

Our powerplay tanked last having Johnson-Hartnell-Walker as the only players on it after Legwand and AJ went down.
I agree I don't believe Ronning is the answer...that's all we need is another "power play specialist" who can't play defense to save his life. I am a Ronning fan because he did a lot of great things during his career and for the Predators, but I think we have moved on, and appearantly 29 other teams in the NHL agree with us.

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 05:50 PM
  #22
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Ronning had Walker as well, in fact he had a more healthy Walker.
It'd be more appropiate to say that Walker had Ronning. Playing alongside Cliff in 2001, he had a career season scoring 25 goals and quite a few powerplay markers. Ronning makes those around him better. Kjellberg-23 goals. Krivokrasov- 26 goals. He got Hartnell on track when he was sophomore. Look at Gaborik. He is down right tanking it right now without Ronning. 3 goals in 22 games for one of the games brightest stars? The only differnce in their roster this year is the loss of the Ronning.

Nowhere do I claim Cliff to the "the answer." I just said that we should look into it again. I think he'd help. If the hold up is because we offered him a 2-way contract, I think that's unfair to Ronning.

He'd be an upgrade over some of our powerplay regulars. Ronning certainly wasn't part of the problem when he was here. I definitely think he'd help out the powerplay. He never got a chance to work with Zidlickly, Johansson, and Erat. God knows we need a veteran forward to stabilize our powerplay, preferably a center.

And again, 29 teams have not passed on Ronning. He has had offers. He's holding out for the right situation, if that ever presents itself.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 06:19 PM
  #23
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'd love to see us sign Ronning and then, if he doesn't play up to par, waive him. I'm sure there are some teams that would seriously consider taking him. Our PP is pathetic. Tonight it was top to bottom, though I think Timonen might be coming out of his funk.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 07:48 PM
  #24
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,480
vCash: 500
1 for its 42...heads need to roll

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
12-22-2003, 09:35 PM
  #25
chuckie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
legwand

legwand has to step it up, he has disappeared again, i thought this was his break out season damn!!!!!!!!!!

chuckie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.