HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter & Richards WJHC update

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
FlyersFan

vCash: 500
Carter & Richards WJHC update

Canada played Sweden last night in exhibition play. It was Canada's first exhibition game. They won, 3-2.

Carter scored Canada's 2nd goal, and Richards assisted on the game-winner (I didn't see the game, only the highlights). Nice to see them contribute right off the bat.

Canada's 2nd (and final) exhibition game is tomorrow against Austria.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:09 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
Canada played Sweden last night in exhibition play. It was Canada's first exhibition game. They won, 3-2.

Carter scored Canada's 2nd goal, and Richards assisted on the game-winner (I didn't see the game, only the highlights). Nice to see them contribute right off the bat.

Canada's 2nd (and final) exhibition game is tomorrow against Austria.
Nice, lets pray we eventually get to see one of them in a Flyers uniform.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:29 AM
FlyersFan

Canada defeated Austria last night, 6-1.

Richards was held off the scoresheet; Carter recorded an assist on Canada's 5th goal (scored by Brent Burns). Carter is the only player to have registered a point in both Canada's exhibition games.

Canada begins tournament play on Boxing Day against host Finland. All Canada's games are on TSN.

Last edited by FlyersFan: 12-24-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Old
12-24-2003, 09:59 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
what lines are they playing on and with who?

Old
12-24-2003, 11:25 AM
leafaholix*

I believe Mike Richards is playing with Nigel Dawes (Rangers) and Anthony Stewart (Panthers).

Not sure about Carter, I think he's playing with Brent Burns.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:47 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
I believe Mike Richards is playing with Nigel Dawes (Rangers) and Anthony Stewart (Panthers).

Not sure about Carter, I think he's playing with Brent Burns.
Correct,Richards-Dawes-Stewart has been the most impressive line so far.

Carter has bounced around..

Old
12-26-2003, 11:53 AM
FlyersFan

For those who may not have been able to see, Canada defeated host Finland today, 3-0.

Carter played on a line with Ryan Getzlaf and Brent Burns, and Richards centered Anthony Stewart and Nigel Dawes.

Carter's line started the game. All 3 are at least 6'3" and over 200 pounds. Although the line was held off the scoresheet, they played well.

Richards' line netted 2 goals, with Richards recording one assist (Canada's 3rd goal). They were by far the most dominant line on the ice. They dominated in the offesnsive zone, forechecking hard, and controlling and cycling the puck extremely well behind the Fin's net and in the corners. They were very aggresive. Richards himself controlled the puck VERY well in the offensive zone. The line was fun to watch.

Both Carter and Richards played regularly on the PK, and once together. Carter got regular PP time as well, Richards didn't get much, if any.

One thing that stuck with me about Carter was his faceoffs. He won a key faceoff in the offensive zone on a PP, and a few minutes later another key faceoff in the defensive zone while on the PK. He was pretty clutch there.

Canada plays early Sunday morning (7:30 ET) against Switzerland.

Old
12-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Winston Wolf

Stefan Ruzicka also had a goal for Slovakia in their 2-2 tie against Russia.

Old
12-27-2003, 03:30 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
According to TSN, Dion Phaneuf made a monster performance versus the Finns. He was a rock on the ice!

And our youngsters made a good job. Everybody cheered Richards and his linemates, Dawes and Stewart.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:16 AM
NYCFlyer

It was the first time I had seen either of our first rounders and was very impressed with Richards. He was the best player for canada. He's not big or fast or possess a big shot but always seems to come out of the corners or away from the boards with the puck. He needs to improve his skating but he has all the intangibles in spades. Carter is almost the polar opposite. Big, very fast, good shot looks like a thoroughbred out there but doesn't want to get his uniform dirty. I think he needs a lot of seasoning but the upside is obvious. It is only one game it will be interesting to see how they perform as the competition and pressure heats up.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:43 PM
daynus

Yes that sums it up

Richards,dawes and stewart were just awesome on the forecheck,grinding, hard working. any goals that line scores will not be finesse goals. carter, i agree looks like a big stud not as physical and doesnt hang in the corners as much as richards, but has more skill. he was very close to scoring a few and he is gonna bag some goals. nice to have seen he and richards on the pk together, can't wait for that to happen in orange and white.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Dizzy

Richards scored on a penalty shot and Carter also had an assist in today's game against Switzerland.. They played together again on the penalty kill. Both looked pretty good.

Old
12-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Canada's No. 1 centre and faceoff ace

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=970081593064

Dec. 28, 2003. 01:00 AM
Carter is centre of attention
Philly prospect is juniors' faceoff ace

Won 18 of 24 draws in win over Finns

KEN CAMPBELL
SPORTS REPORTER

HELSINKI—Just what the Philadelphia Flyers need — another big, strong, talented centre who can make plays and dominate in the faceoff circle.

Already armed with an embarrassment of riches down the middle in the form of Jeremy Roenick, Keith Primeau, Mike Comrie and Michal Handzus, the Flyers can take comfort in knowing that their future includes Jeff Carter, Canada's No. 1 centre and faceoff ace at the world junior championship.

It also includes Mike Richards of the Kitchener Rangers, who is the pivot on the highly effective second line and had an assist in Canada's 3-0 win over Finland in the opening game of the tournament Friday.

The Flyers got Carter with the 11th pick overall in last June's draft, a selection they acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes by dealing Daymond Langkow two years ago. They scooped Richards with their own pick in the first round and both look as though they have solid NHL careers ahead of them.

Carter, in particular, was a demon in the faceoff circle against the Finns. He won 18 of 24 faceoffs, most of which came against Finland's top centre, Detroit Red Wings prospect Valterri Filpulla. That was a large reason why Canada's big — and we mean big — line of Carter (6-foot-4, 203 pounds) between Ryan Getzlaf (6-3, 206) and Brent Burns (6-4, 200) had possession of the puck much of the game and kept Finland's top scorers off the board.

Old
12-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Thanks for posting the article. Looks like Parise has been the best player of the tournament, thus far.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Winston Wolf

Stefan Ruzicka had 2 goals today for Slovakia in their 6-0 victory against Austria.

Old
12-30-2003, 01:46 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Thanks for posting the article. Looks like Parise has been the best player of the tournament, thus far.
Zach Parise? were did you read that?

Old
12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
PF

Parise was leading the tournament in points when he posted that, I suppose he still is just I haven't checked todays results so I'm not certain.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:03 AM
leafaholix*

Was watching the Canada vs. Ukraine game and talk about Jeff Carter... there's been comparisons to Joe Thornton, but apparentely his OHL head coach compares him to Mats Sundin.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:30 AM
John Flyers Fan

5-1 Canada after 2 periods against the Czechs.

Carter has 2 goals.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:17 AM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
5-1 Canada after 2 periods against the Czechs.

Carter has 2 goals.
Yeah, his second was really nice. He went end-to-end, taking the puck from behind his own net, scoring on a backhand. Great speed. I'm sure the Czech goalie would like to have that one back again (he got a piece of it, but not enough).

Old
12-31-2003, 08:49 AM
augster

Old
12-31-2003, 08:50 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
Yeah, his second was really nice. He went end-to-end, taking the puck from behind his own net, scoring on a backhand. Great speed. I'm sure the Czech goalie would like to have that one back again (he got a piece of it, but not enough).
Yeah great goal.

Carter and richards are on a PK unit together and both of their lines have been the two mos impressive so far.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
FlyersFan10*

I don't want to seem like a party pooper, but how many people here are on the Jeff Carter bandwagon right now? I remember back in the summer people were slamming the Flyers for taking Carter, especially when Dustin Brown and Zach Parise were still available. Carter isn't looking too bad as a choice now. I think we may have been a little too hard on the organization for taking Carter. Anyways, I'm glad that Jeff and Mike Richards are having a great tournament and I look forward to seeing them as future Flyers. Oh, has anyone seen where Go Kim Jonsson has been as of late? It's like dude disappeared off the face of the earth and was hoping that he would come back so the two of us could have a good spar about Brown and Carter.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:35 PM
MojoJojo

Too right. Carter is looking pretty good right now. Nevertheless, we cant really compare his performance to Browns, since Dustin is playing in the NHL, not the WJC right now. Also, Parise is looking pretty damn hot as well. I doubt we would have been unhappy with any of these three players. I was shocked when they took Carter so early, now I see the pick has a lot of merit. 1st line center for team Canada is a hell of an accomplishment.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:43 AM
FlyersGuy69

yeah, I didn't know much about Carter or Richards when they were selected but I have followed there seasons with real interest. I am glad to see that the Flyers are looking OK now that they selected these two guys but like I said from the beginning, the Flyers had drafted well the previous 5 or 6 years so why not give them the benefit of the doubt. the Flyers will wind up smelling like roses on this one just Gagne, Williams and Woywitka pick.

Closed Thread