HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals' News and Notes Thread II

Old
05-21-2007, 06:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
From the Buffalo News on Zubrus price tag as UFA this summer:

DiCesare: Zubrus might look good to Sabres
Bob DiCesare
Updated: 05/21/07 8:18 AM

Fast food for thought . . .

ē Itíll be interesting to see what the free-agent market holds for Dainius Zubrus. He went through the playoffs without a goal after producing a careerhigh 24 in the regular season, 20 of them in Washington with Alexander Ovechkin on his wing. Does that warrant big money? Canít see him getting too much more than this yearís $1.875 million, which could be good news for the Sabres.

Thereís not a winger on the team close to matching Zubrusí work ethic and effectiveness along the boards. The Sabres need a couple more like him. I mean, a line of Chris Drury centering Tim Connolly and Derek Roy looks good on paper, but it doesnít look so good in the corners.
Is this a full quote? Have a link?

The reason I ask is cause this guy must not be paying attention to what the Caps already offered him if he thinks Z's going to settle for 1.9M. Not implying Z's worth just what he was already offered and turned down. Could be just another Buffalo fan in denial of what the salary cap is going to do to his team.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/st...687.html?imw=Y

Zubrus has also sounded willing to stay in Buffalo. It seemed to be a perfect fit for what he is and how he was used, so it seems logical that he re-signs from a hockey standpoint. If the dollars and term can be worked out, I wouldn't be suprised if he's off the market before free agency begins if things go right. Of course, Buffalo has a lot of other things to focus on before then so that could easily change things.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 08:23 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I would be more than happy to bring Zubrus back and play the proper position on the team for more than is suggested in the article....just not as much as what he turned down.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Jasper17

Quote:

The reason I ask is cause this guy must not be paying attention to what the Caps already offered him if he thinks Z's going to settle for 1.9M. Not implying Z's worth just what he was already offered and turned down. Could be just another Buffalo fan in denial of what the salary cap is going to do to his team.
do you know exactly what the Caps had offered him?

All we know are the rumors we hear/read. Add this to the list.

The one thing we do know is that this playoffs pretty much sumed up Zubrus's entire career. Played well, didn't score, got hurt.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I would be more than happy to bring Zubrus back and play the proper position on the team for more than is suggested in the article....just not as much as what he turned down.
I agree, i would love to bring him back. As long as the price is right (and the reported 5 years 16 million he was far from right) and he is used on Ovechkin's RW (he is not a center).

Old
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
I agree, i would love to bring him back. As long as the price is right (and the reported 5 years 16 million he was far from right) and he is used on Ovechkin's RW (he is not a center).
This may not be the place for this discussion, but would you really put Zubrus on Ovechkin's RW over Clark? I'm pretty sure, you're one of the "Clark for 3rd line RW" guys, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Clark scored 30 goals in a full season with Ovechkin, he's not afraid to drop the gloves to protect if necessary, and his game meshes well with Ovechkins-he fights hard for rebounds in front and he digs in the corners. Would you really displace all of that for Zubrus?

I completely understand the people who say Clark would be an ideal 3rd line winger. He would. He'd be one of the best 3rd line wingers in the league. But his talent is such that such a role is only possible on ridiculously deep teams like SJ or Buffalo. Even with several additions, I don't think we're going to acquire the depth to move Clark out of 1st line RW, and I really don't think that's a bad thing.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
do you know exactly what the Caps had offered him?

All we know are the rumors we hear/read. Add this to the list.

The one thing we do know is that this playoffs pretty much sumed up Zubrus's entire career. Played well, didn't score, got hurt.
WOW...

You're a smart person. You spend much time around here and are well read.

If you are implying that everything discussed, written, and reported a few months ago was just here-say and conjecture including quotes from his agent and GMGM then all I have to say is WOW... not sure what you need to make it a FACT, to quote a 'friend'.

Old
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
WOW...

You're a smart person. You spend much time around here and are well read.

If you are implying that everything discussed, written, and reported a few months ago was just here-say and conjecture including quotes from his agent and GMGM then all I have to say is WOW... not sure what you need to make it a FACT, to quote a 'friend'.
what was the quote from the GM? All i heard them say was that they were close to money per, it was just the years. Now if you know for sure what the money per was please let me know.

not sure why you got so offended by that comment. But the simple fact is we have no idea the exact amount Zubie was asking, what the org was willing to give, or what he may get on the open market.

So far we have a rumor that he wants 3.2 per, and now we have a rumor that he won't get much more than 1.9. That is a pretty wide range IMO.

So basically, yes. What I am saying is everything being discussed, written and reported a few months ago was prob 99% here-say and speculation.

And thanks, I am smart.

Old
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Cush
-inator

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...wpl_today.html

Quote:
I was just informed by the Caps media dept. that Nicklas Backstrom is scheduled to appear on Washington Post Live today around 5:15. So for you hockey fans who haven't tuned into our new show yet, here's your chance. It's on Comcast SportsNet.

Also, Backstrom has informed team officials that he will definitely attend development camp, which runs July 11-14 at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. The sessions will be free and open the public.

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Sorry Japs... stressful day. Just a little sick of imcompetence (not you, work). We obviously have different opinions of what things need to come out to be considered credible and I condsider GMGM saying TERM TERM TERM TERM TERM TERM at every interview and hearing 3M to 3.2M for 5 YRs, 3M to 3.2M for 5 YRs, 3M to 3.2M for 5 YRs, 3M to 3.2M for 5 YRs from Tarik quoting Z's agent as pretty good indicators on what the Caps offered Zubrus. Your reply of LINK LINK LINK when I know you're an astute poster, though we disagree on things from time to time, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Hearing some Buffalo guy saying Zubrus shouldn't expect more than his current salary on a deal and I laugh, cause I think whatever we offered Zubrus in March we'll offer him straight up in July. We agree on his worth, his position, and his history. I am not imposing mine on this discussion. Just what we've heard and what I believe the vast majority see as at least 90% accurate.