HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This month's Blueshirt Bulletin

Old
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
This month's Blueshirt Bulletin

arrived in the mail today. Of particular interest to me was their take on our prospects. They expect Staal to be wearing a Rangers uniform in 2007. Players they would suggest us signing who haven't signed yet--Brodie Dupont who they call a combination of Mark Messier (leadership) Adam Graves (hard nosed attacker) and Brendan Shanahan (laser like shot from anywhere). Ryan Russell who they compare to Prucha--but Russell they say is better defensively, kills penalties and will drop the gloves if he has to otherwise tending to stay out of the penalty box. Dylan Reese--a strong skater who can handle the puck and make that first pass out of the zone--attacks the net and knows how to pick his spots. Billy Ryan will be going back to college but they mentioned his coaches belief that he is on the cusp of being an elite player. Greg Beller who if he can stay healthy they describe as a big man with a small man's skill. They liken Anisimov to Datsyuk but think Artem is an even better skater. Hillier and Zaborsky they are also very happy with progress wise. Hunter gets compared to Avery though they are concerned about a broken ankle he suffered in the playoffs. They suggest that the following may not be signed. Trevor Koverko, Dalyn Flatt, Kenny Roche (inconsistent senior year--a step slow when he went to Hartford), Darin Olver (also a step slow in Hartford).

Prospect of the year (I think this was based more on improvement from the beginning of the year to the end) 1. Tom Pyatt 2. Ryan Russell 3. Brodie Dupont 4. Ryan Hillier 5. Bobby Sanguinetti.

Much encouragement with Sauer and Sanguinetti.

Schoenfeld on Sanguinetti's time in Hartford--'His composure with the puck has been extraordinary for a kid his age. He's real savvy on the power play or all offensive situations. You can see he has very, very good offensive instincts for a defenseman. And he has been better defensively than we thought he would be. Defense is a hard position to play, especially when you're a kid playing against men. You're the last line before the goal, so it can be critical. But his coverage, anticipation, and reads have been very good, and his strength has been fine. He hasn't been a liability at all. He has been a real good package for us.'

Schoenfeld on Corey Potter--He came to stay and played just too well to go back. He has become one of our most reliable defensemen, especially in offensive situations. He has improved vastly and is a legitimate prospect if he keeps improving. If next year's improvement matches this year's as far as degree, he's looking pretty darn promising.'

Schoenfeld on Reese--He wanted to come and see what the AHL was like, and we wanted to have a look at him. It was an enriching experience both ways. We liked what we saw, and I think he enjoyed his time. He's a very enthusiastic kid, but the [college] work load was getting a little heavy. His speed is fine for this level, but like most kids, he has to improve to take the next step. But he played some good games for us.'

One other thing I'll note--they did a bio on Fedor Tyutin. I thought some of his answers were hilarious.

Favorite meal--'I would say potato, like mashed potato, with meatloaf.'
Favorite breakfast cereal--'I don't eat cereals, I eat oatmeal.'
Favorite ice cream flavor--'Chocolate vanilla.'
Toughest competitors--'Probably it would be Avery. I just wouldn't want to play against him [smiles]. I just see how he [bleeping] drives nuts other people. I wouldn't want to play against him.'

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Much encouragement with Sauer and Sanguinetti.
What did they say about Sauer?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Speedtrials

I knew they were high on Dupont, but wow, they must see a lot from him. It is going to be very interesting to see where this orginization is after Jagr an Co. are gone in two years.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I agree with pretty much everything they said concerning the prospects (Reese should be offered a contract, Roche shouldn't, Olver i'd lean on shouldn't as well, etc).

The only thing I disagree with in the whole article is getting too high on Greg Beller, he hasn't proved anything yet.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What did they say about Sauer?
Had GREAT things to say about Sauer. Actually called him the BEST defensive defender prospect the Rangers have, can adjust his game on the fly, whether you need a physical presence or skill player, offensive #'s do not reflect his ability to get the needed goal.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Toughest competitors--'Probably it would be Avery. I just wouldn't want to play against him [smiles]. I just see how he [bleeping] drives nuts other people. I wouldn't want to play against him.'
Spoken like a true NY'er, expletive and all

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Pizza

Good stuff eco. Thanks

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 01:17 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Spoken like a true NY'er, expletive and all
The adjectival use of the F word is fine but I like how he puts together 'drives nuts other people'.
Many thanks to Darth also for catching up on Sauer for me. I posted that and went off to bed as I had to go to work early this morning.

Old
05-12-2007, 06:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Great stuff on Dupont. (I loved getting this kid back in 2005, and he's done nothing so far to disappoint me.)

Good stuff on both Potter, (the Rangers need to sign him to an NHL contract), and Sanguinetti, (hopefully he takes his AHL experience back to juniors, and we see a leap in his development). Potter's development might allow the Rangers to add someone like Baranka in the right deal this off-season.

As for Beller, Jess at BB has long been a fan of the kid, which MIGHT explain his giddiness over him. Beller's biggest problem has been staying healthy.

BB is just a great source of Ranger info.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 08:39 AM
DarthSather99

Just to add they also had some good things to say about Anisimov.... offensive skills are just beginning to catch up to his already "well-rounded" defensive game ....has skill like Detroits Daysyuk but a better skater ....hhhmmmm nice...

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think our current prospects just prove the fact that you never know what you're going to get in what round. I really feel there is no difference between the 15th pick in the first and the 15th in the second in terms of potential. Maybe if they were older, but 18 year olds mature mentally and physically at different speeds.

Here's a great example: who here remembers that goalie Brandon SNee (Union College) was drafted int he same year, but a HIGHER round, than Henke? Snee sunk like a rock in organeyezayshun and washed out in a year or two. Amazing, huh? Now there might have been special cirmcumstances surrounding Henke that I don't know about, but still.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 10:47 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think our current prospects just prove the fact that you never know what you're going to get in what round. I really feel there is no difference between the 15th pick in the first and the 15th in the second in terms of potential. Maybe if they were older, but 18 year olds mature mentally and physically at different speeds.

Here's a great example: who here remembers that goalie Brandon SNee (Union College) was drafted int he same year, but a HIGHER round, than Henke? Snee sunk like a rock in organeyezayshun and washed out in a year or two. Amazing, huh? Now there might have been special cirmcumstances surrounding Henke that I don't know about, but still.

While I agree with you about not really knowing what you're going to get in what round, I don't think it's that amazing that a 5th round pick didn't make it, while a 7th rounder did. Once you get that far on in the draft everything is a crap shoot. I would be curious to see what % of players in each round go on to have careers in the NHL. I would be surprised to hear that 5th round selections have a significantly better success rate than 7th rounders.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 11:07 AM
eco's bones

Dupont is a player I've had my eye on ever since we drafted him--however expecting him to turn out as good as even Graves (let alone Messier--another 3rd rd. pick or Shanahan) may be a stretch. The idea though that he has a great shot which he can get off from anywhere is excellent to hear.

Old
05-12-2007, 11:18 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Dupont is a player I've had my eye on ever since we drafted him--however expecting him to turn out as good as even Graves (let alone Messier--another 3rd rd. pick or Shanahan) may be a stretch. The idea though that he has a great shot which he can get off from anywhere is excellent to hear.
You can usually outright ignore the comparisons. Many times, while some comparisons are fitting, many times they are just too big a reach. In addition, they always have a penchant to compare player attributes to the greats; you never hear, "He has the puck control of a young Jan Hlavac..."

The Yzerman/Lundmark draftday comparisons still haunt me to this day...

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
You can usually outright ignore the comparisons. Many times, while some comparisons are fitting, many times they are just too big a reach. In addition, they always have a penchant to compare player attributes to the greats; you never hear, "He has the puck control of a young Jan Hlavac..."

The Yzerman/Lundmark draftday comparisons still haunt me to this day...
Yeah, comparision really only works in terms of style, extemely seldom you can find a match for both style and impact.

For example, IMO, Ryan Hollweg in style compares to Sean Avery. They skate the same style, both are good hitters, about the same style, the same type of offensive game.

Though after the AHL the tempo got to Holly, and while somewhere down there he got some offensive skill we never see it in the NHL. His impact is nearly as big as Averys, though if Holly went back to the AHL he would be very simular to Avery.

Thats what I think BB's point is, in style he looks like thoose guys, typical ol Canadian hard nosed player.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
eco's bones

Well as far as Dupont is concerned I'd be happy if he turned into a big hard nosed hard charging 3rd liner who can bang in 15 or so goals and get into anywhere from a half dozen to dozen fights every year. I don't know if Chris Neil would be a better comparison to him but that's the kind of a player we could really use and that's more the kind of player I'm thinking he has a chance to turn into.

Old
05-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Pizza

I'll second that. I'd love to see us have a Chris Neil type player in DuPont.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote