HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice Hockey vs Roller Hockey

Old
06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Fan of The Game

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Ice Hockey vs Roller Hockey

I have already signed up for roller hockey. I use to play ice hockey a few years ago and I wasn;t bad, not good either though lol, and I was wondering what exactly to find different. If anyone could help it would be most appreciated. I am particularly concenrened about stopping.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
IMO its a lot tougher to controll your skating in roller hockey. not just braking, but when you have taken a shot its pretty tough to turn at full speed and start skating the other way.

im a goalie so i havent played that much as a skater or whatever you call it. but the biggest difference as a goalie is when you try so slide in the crease. its impossible. and as a butterfly goalie in ice-hockey that makes it pretty tough to play goalie in roller hockey. in other words, i suck in roller hockey,.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 05:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

braking? lol... I don't think too many skaters use non-hockey skates for inline hockey...

If you are playing indoor inline hockey, make sure you get indoor wheels that are very soft, 74A or 76A ... That will give you good traction...

if you are playing outdoor inline hockey, make sure you get outdoor wheels with a high hardness rating, look for 82A or 84A... The wheels will last longer and you will be able to stop without sliding too far...

Just practice your hockey stop before you start playing... It's not hard to learn if you knew how to do it on ice... The weight distribution is just a little bit different..... On ice hockey skates, you can be much lighter on your skates when you do your hockey stop.... With inline, I think you generally have to turn your skates faster and and harder to get the wheels to give on the surface....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Fan of The Game

Thanks fellas, I am gona fall on my ass a few times, but oh well, at least it is some kind of hockey in Florida. It is indoor byu the way. If nothing else it will be a few good laughs.

Old
06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

be sure to get really really soft wheels for the proper traction.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
I play both and i have been playing Roller hockey for longer. I'm probally the best player in my roller league. And i'm the 2nd best on my team for ice. So i'm about 6th best in ice for the league. Anyway i feel more comfetable playing Roller hockey. They are the same basically but you just have to adjust a little, i'm sure your do good.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Fan of The Game

Thanks, I think I will do well. I enjoy playing hockey so I should make the transition easy enough.

Old
06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
Thanks, I think I will do well. I enjoy playing hockey so I should make the transition easy enough.

Yeah you should do good cause you love to play. Roller hockey is more open and not as fast which means more goals.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote