HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Old
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
TempusFugit

Backstrom's performance at the WJCs and the Worlds means bupkis. He was playing with unfamiliar, and less talented, linemates. Like others have said, put him with AO and AS and watch the fun. I wish I had a dime for everytime I watched the Caps power play this last season and thought "how much better would they be with Backstrom out there?"

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:11 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Backstrom's performance at the WJCs and the Worlds means bupkis. He was playing with unfamiliar, and less talented, linemates. Like others have said, put him with AO and AS and watch the fun. I wish I had a dime for everytime I watched the Caps power play this last season and thought "how much better would they be with Backstrom out there?"
I just wish I had a dime for everytime I watched the Caps on the PK

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
Yes, he was point behind Kessel, but he also did play two games more than Kessel. And please, don't talk about AO. He played an awful tournament, he looked like someone had affected him with Kovalchuk's old habits. I know he was frustrated because of his ice time and role, but he also played quite often bit selfish game.

Maybe I should have said that Kessel and Toews had more spectacular tournaments than NB. Their game looked more like NHL-ready to me. The biggest disappointment with NB was that his passes looked really soft in last 2 games. From time to time he looked like a boy among the men IMO. Positive is that he showed he has same kind of vision like Oatsie had. I hope I'll be wrong about him, but I think he will have some problems to adapt to NHL game.

Which one? I was talking about Erik and I think he played atleast the last two games of tournament.
Actually 1 assists was stolen from him. So he made 7 points actually.
He played very good game vs Slovakia, and was good in games vs Russia, esp first one.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
I just wish I had a dime for everytime I watched the Caps on the PK
PP, PK, was there really a difference between the two?

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Well occasionally the other team would feel bad for us and spot us a man for the PK

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
PSUhockey34

Great news ...that's a start at addressing the lack of any offensive centers in the lineup

I think there will be some pressure on him to produce regardless if he's a rookie, this isn't a kid jumping straight out juniors into the NHL, he's produced in a men's league and should have a better shot at making a quicker adjustment...the fact that he put up the point total in the SEL like he did, is more of a sign of things to come then his performance in a tournament were you're under scrutiny for less then a handful of games...people expect that when you put a bunch of the country's top players on a team, that everyone is automatically going to rack up the points, but you have a limited amount of time to force chemistry/system on players and some buy into it quicker then others

projection:
11 goals / 45 assists...playing with two 40 goal scorers should help

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
Great news ...that's a start at addressing the lack of any offensive centers in the lineup

I think there will be some pressure on him to produce regardless if he's a rookie, this isn't a kid jumping straight out juniors into the NHL, he's produced in a men's league and should have a better shot at making a quicker adjustment...the fact that he put up the point total in the SEL like he did, is more of a sign of things to come then his performance in a tournament were you're under scrutiny for less then a handful of games...people expect that when you put a bunch of the country's top players on a team, that everyone is automatically going to rack up the points, but you have a limited amount of time to force chemistry/system on players and some buy into it quicker then others

projection:
11 goals / 45 assists...playing with two 40 goal scorers should help
i won't project, but i'll hope like crazy our collective projections for backstrom are as accurate as were our collective projections for ovechkin.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i won't project, but i'll hope like crazy our collective projections for backstrom are as accurate as were our collective projections for ovechkin.
I laughed at EroCaps when he projected Ovy to score 50 goals in his rookie season so should just keep my projections to myself really

he's got the play making ability and the opportunity to center two of better snipers in the league so he's definitely in a good position to rack up the assists...but I think it's safer pick to say he won't hit 20 goals in his rookie year

just a random thought, I wonder if anyone is going to question his refusal to play in the AHL and return to the SEL after all the crap Semin got for doing the exact same thing..it's the same situation IMO...not that I doubt he'll play a lick of games in the AHL but if he ends up having to be sent down, it's BS that he wont report and would jump back to sweden

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
I laughed at EroCaps when he projected Ovy to score 50 goals in his rookie season so should just keep my projections to myself really

he's got the play making ability and the opportunity to center two of better snipers in the league so he's definitely in a good position to rack up the assists...but I think it's safer pick to say he won't hit 20 goals in his rookie year

just a random thought, I wonder if anyone is going to question his refusal to play in the AHL and return to the SEL after all the crap Semin got for doing the exact same thing..it's the same situation IMO...not that I doubt he'll play a lick of games in the AHL but if he ends up having to be sent down, it's BS that he wont report and would jump back to sweden
Well, last year at the draft McPhee said the same thing. It would be either the NHL or Sweden

Old
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

Well, just to be clear on that often discussed topic, Semin did report when he was assigned to Portland at the end of the 03-04 season. He played the end of the regular season and in the playoffs until Portland was eliminated; it was only in 04-05 that he didn't report to play in the AHL during the lockout.

I agree with the other posters, I don't think this is really an issue, but if for some reason he didn't make the team (hard to even type that given the roster we are looking at right now), I think it would benefit him to stay in NA and adjust to playing the NA game. However, if Backstrom has a specific clause in his contract that allows him to be assigned to Sweden that the Caps organization agrees to, not sure why people would question it since it was agreed to upfront.

About expectations, I hope people have reasonable expectations for a rookie turning 20 after the season starts and playing his first season of NA hockey. Even though he has played the extra games with WCs, WJCs, etc., along with the SEL season, the length/grind of the NHL schedule is still going to be new to him and I expect he could hit a wall like many do their rookie season. Point projections, who knows.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
txpd

I am not sure why anyone would expect any other rookie to have an Ovechkin like first NHL season. Since it was one of the handful of BEST rookie seasons of all time its simply unrealistic.

As for the 50 pts, I would say first that its better than what Beech or Laich or Klepis brought to the table last season and I would be satisfied with that. On the other hand since he will be skating with Semin at even strenth and get some PP time its fair to consider that 50 pts would be rather pedestrian.

Lastly, I am not expecting Backstrom on the first pp unit, though. I have a #1 center penciled onto the roster for next season. Whether its a big bang player like Gomez or a budget player like Comrie, that guy will be on the first PP unit where Zubrus was last season.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Expect a semin like rookie year, 15-25 points then in 08-09 expect what semin did big points.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Hehe - no, and that's a great avatar!

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:09 PM
EroCaps

Nice.

I really don't think anyone will be underwhelmed by Backstrom's rookie season, but I do think it'll take him some time to hit his prime. He already has better offensive upside than Zubie (especially at sustaining offensive zone pressure) which will take a good amount of pressure off the D.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think he'll notch a point per game.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Nice.

I really don't think anyone will be underwhelmed by Backstrom's rookie season, but I do think it'll take him some time to hit his prime. He already has better offensive upside than Zubie (especially at sustaining offensive zone pressure) which will take a good amount of pressure off the D.
I would like to see the Caps get a veteran guy to anchor the first line by trade or UFA signing. Maybe Brendan Morrison of Vancouver. This makes the lines to start the season:

Ovechkin - Morrison/Comrie/Nylander/? - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - UFA/Trade (Slava Kozlov or similar)

1st PP is Ovechkin, Backstrom, UFA/Trade 1st line C, Semin on the point and Pothier or another UFA/Trade. This eases Backis in nicely, there's no pressure on him to be the top guy. I won't hold my breath waiting for GMGM to sign those UFAs tho. I already predicted somewhere that he'd get 8G and 42A. I stand by that. Best case scenario is 11G 49A

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I'm guessing about 60 - 65 points.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 08:47 PM
dbui72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
This is good stuff to hear, congratulations guys... even from a Pens fan's perspective, it's good for the league... I can't wait to watch Ovechkin and Backstrom together be it on the PP or on a regular unit. I was personally crazy about Backstrom in the 06 draft and wanted the Pens to take him, but I guess I'm perfectly content with Staal . Enjoy the excitement, guys.
Thanks. I look forward on the continuation of the Pens and Caps rivalry.

The future of our two teams are intertwined and I forsee two great teams meeting in the Eastern finals in two years.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Nice.

Exactly...and from that points will be the byproduct. Anyone that watched the Caps this past season knows just how subpar their puck possession game was overall. Injecting Backstrom and, hopefully, another capable puck possession center will do wonders for their offensive tempo and intensity. Add in those catalyst types to the finishing skills of the Alexanders and the offense suddenly becomes quite formidable.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Cherepanov 71

Great news for Washington.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Cush
-inator

He'll (along w/ Gordon) probably be the top face off man as well. He finished 5th in FO % during the regular season (56.06%, winning 435 out of 776 draws)

Last edited by Cush: 05-14-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old
05-14-2007, 10:42 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I think the single greatest factor in how he does next year is the same old song and dance... can he hold up in the much rougher NHL. I have not seen him enough to know his current girth or toughness. I hope he works out a lot this summer, takes boxing lessons, or gets to be good friends with Brashear; just to be safe.

I am looking for 75 points next year. Even I could get 25 token assists playing with our snipers.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:59 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Drake with the big-time audacity. I f-ing love it.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Atlas

At worst, Backstrom will be a terrific #2 NHL center. That's a good thing. That's 25 goals and 40 assists a year...something like that. It'd be great if he's better than that but #1 centers don't come around very often. The Caps have never really had one...I guess Oates was a legit low end #1 center. I loved his game but he was little threat to score goals, especially in the playoffs.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote