HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Old
05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
TempusFugit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
no surprise here, he'll be wearing #19

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit....html#comments
Now I'll be able to watch a #19 in a Caps uni and not think "What boneheaded penalty will he take now? How far out of position will he put himself to go for a big hit? What egregious mental error will he make leaving the opposition with a scoring chance?" And I'm not talking about John Druce

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
I hope he goes to the rookie camp. if he goes, I think I'm going
aye... that is a good idea.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:57 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
My message board mates have made my point much more eloquently than I could have. As for the Red Wings: I was trying to figure out who you meant by "we". The Wings had as much chance of landing that #2 overall pick as the Caps. In other words: zero. The speculation was nothing more than the usual garbage put out by Eklund, Strachan and the other writers who have nothing to comment on at that time of the year, and just pull things like that out of their @$$e$
the 'canes were offering Jack Johnson straight up for the 2nd pick

it would've been nice to see the Capitals' trade up to the 2nd pick and take Toews but Backstrom has as much potential as any of the two forwards taken before him

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Hej... if anyone has a video link to the follow please post it. Thanks.

"Backstrom also showed some fire in the belly, something he doesn’t always show according to the Swedish media. We saw him engage in post-whistle scrums on more than one occasion, sometimes as the initiator of said scrum."

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
FYI- From memory...for sometime before the draft, there was much speculation that the Pens(being somewhat foward rich) would be willing to deal down in exchange for picks. The 2 teams much speculated on were Carolina and the Caps. I was advocating that we try & grab Stahl, as it was my contention then (and now) that Jordan would prove to be the best player of all of the top picks. I wasn't alone. Don Cherry has been trumpheting the Stahl family for years, and he's replayed many video clips of him predicting Jordan's success years ago. He's also made similiar predictions about Joe Thorton as well, which he brings up frequently.

As for the Wings, what are you talking about? The Wings haven't had a 10 ten draft pick since 1991.
Bill,
All due respect...who exactly (or what) do you think the Caps had to offer the Pens for the #2? Seriously. The asking price was high no doubt.
See (http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9202914&postcount=2)

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 08:55 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheechooTrain View Post
Bill,
All due respect...who exactly (or what) do you think the Caps had to offer the Pens for the #2? Seriously. The asking price was high no doubt.
See (http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9202914&postcount=2)
Hey IJ,
As I recall...what got the discussion moving was the fact that Barry Melrose brought it up in one of his commentaries. Just did a quick Google search, and here's a piece that's pretty much like the ESPN discussion and the take we had on it at the time:

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot...t-lottery.html
That makes things very interesting for the Penguins at the second pick. Assuming Johnson goes first overall, that just leaves a lot of talented forwards. The Penguins are pretty set in terms of young forwards though with Sidney Crosby, Colby Armstrong, and Evgeni Malkin coming in next season. They may try to trade down and hope they can pick up some solid players or a lot of picks.

Again, as I recall...the most common scenario proposed (and I think it was C. Stanton who first proposed this) was Semin and a couple of picks. What gave this "legs" was a couple of things.

One: Semin wasn't exactly in favor with the team at that point, and we had plenty of picks available.
Secondly: Things were just rocky enough financially with the Pens to envision them looking to make a deal like this.

Often times, teams will just be looking to move up by exchanging picks. That, at the time, was (IMO) the most likely happening, should it have occurred...which, as we all know, it didn't.
Frankly, I wish we would've grabbed him, despite Semin's great year. Jordan's a solid, 2-way player with tremendus potential. Semin, as talented as he is, is a one-way player.

Oh well...spilled milk.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 09:04 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Hey IJ,
As I recall...what got the discussion moving was the fact that Barry Melrose brought it up in one of his commentaries. Just did a quick Google search, and here's a piece that's pretty much like the ESPN discussion and the take we had on it at the time:

That makes things very interesting for the Penguins at the second pick. Assuming Johnson goes first overall, that just leaves a lot of talented forwards. The Penguins are pretty set in terms of young forwards though with Sidney Crosby, Colby Armstrong, and Evgeni Malkin coming in next season. They may try to trade down and hope they can pick up some solid players or a lot of picks.

Again, as I recall...the most common scenario proposed (and I think it was C. Stanton who first proposed this) was Semin and a couple of picks. What gave this "legs" was a couple of things.

One: Semin wasn't exactly in favor with the team at that point, and we had plenty of picks available.
Secondly: Things were just rocky enough financially with the Pens to envision them looking to make a deal like this.

Often times, teams will just be looking to move up by exchanging picks. That, at the time, was (IMO) the most likely happening, should it have occurred...which, as we all know, it didn't.
Frankly, I wish we would've grabbed him, despite Semin's great year. Jordan's a solid, 2-way player with tremendus potential. Semin, as talented as he is, is a one-way player.

Oh well...spilled milk.
Oh please. If you believe that nonsense then I have some gorgeous swampland to sell you. Hey, it's prime real estate. A little damp, yeah. Frogs, alligators, who cares? Waterfront property

You think Barry Melrose is a reliable source? There used to be a site called melrosesucks.com. I don't think any media type has any real inside info. If I had my way then anybody quoting from Eklund, Strachan or any other moron dealing in trade rumors would be subject to the ultimate torture for a hockey fan. He'd be strapped to a chair, have his eyelids cut off and made to watch both Youngblood and Slapshot 2 over and over and over and over again till he went mad. I'd wager a case of Molsons that he wouldn't last more than 2 viewings of each

Old
05-18-2007, 09:26 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Hey IJ,

Oh well...spilled milk.
semin + backstrom + picks > staal

Old
05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Oh please. If you believe that nonsense then I have some gorgeous swampland to sell you. Hey, it's prime real estate. A little damp, yeah. Frogs, alligators, who cares? Waterfront property

You think Barry Melrose is a reliable source? There used to be a site called melrosesucks.com. I don't think any media type has any real inside info. If I had my way then anybody quoting from Eklund, Strachan or any other moron dealing in trade rumors would be subject to the ultimate torture for a hockey fan. He'd be strapped to a chair, have his eyelids cut off and made to watch both Youngblood and Slapshot 2 over and over and over and over again till he went mad. I'd wager a case of Molsons that he wouldn't last more than 2 viewings of each
The issue wasn't whether we believed it. The point was the Pen's fan who said that he was happy with Jordan, and I was recalling the time period where they considered trading the pick.
As for Melrose and other commentators, while I wouldn't use the term "morons"...I tend to take a "I'm from Missouri" attitude with what they say.
But this too, depends on who we're talking about.
Example:
I find HNIC's "Satellite Hotstove" to be quite accurate as to their predictions.
It all depends on who we're discussing.

Old
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
semin + backstrom + picks > staal
I'd suggest that the jury is still out on that one.

Old
05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
I don't think any media type has any real inside info.

They don't, i don't know why so many people pretend writers are hockey experts just because they write about the sport. They are hockey writers because they can write, not because they are experts on the sport.

And I will never understand why so many people think these guys get inside information. Like GM's will never tell what they are thinking or planning on doing. But will openly have conversations with writeres about it .

The only thing trade rumors are good for is to have some fun talking about them. But 95% of them are BS, and the other 5% that are true normally Ray Charles could see coming.

As for Melrose, I actually like him. But that is because I just find him entertaining. Although I will always respect a player/coach's opinion a hell of a lot more than some jackass writing for a paper.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 09:34 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
The issue wasn't whether we believed it. The point was the Pen's fan who said that he was happy with Jordan, and I was recalling the time period where they considered trading the pick.
As for Melrose and other commentators, while I wouldn't use the term "morons"...I tend to take a "I'm from Missouri" attitude with what they say.
But this too, depends on who we're talking about.
Example:
I find HNIC's "Satellite Hotstove" to be quite accurate as to their predictions.
It all depends on who we're discussing.

If you don't believe it, then there's no point in even discussing it. I believe the beginning of this was that you said "we should have gotten Jordan". Pretty much everyone here has said the Caps had no chance at him. The Caps couldn't offer what it would have taken to move up those two spots, and they would have been INSANE to give it up. How exactly do you know the Caps were considering trading up for the #2 pick? Were you in their meetings? Or are just taking what Melrose and his ilk say is gospel? Have fun watching Slapshot 2 and enjoy your swampland

Old
05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post

They don't, i don't know why so many people pretend writers are hockey experts just because they write about the sport. They are hockey writers because they can write, not because they are experts on the sport.

And I will never understand why so many people think these guys get inside information. Like GM's will never tell what they are thinking or planning on doing. But will openly have conversations with writeres about it .

The only thing trade rumors are good for is to have some fun talking about them. But 95% of them are BS, and the other 5% that are true normally Ray Charles could see coming.

As for Melrose, I actually like him. But that is because I just find him entertaining. Although I will always respect a player/coach's opinion a hell of a lot more than some jackass writing for a paper.
I don't always agree with you Japs, but this one I will say is 100% dead on. Thank you for saying so eloquently what I was thinking

Old
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
BTCG

Quote:
If you don't believe it, then there's no point in even discussing it. I believe the beginning of this was that you said "we should have gotten Jordan". Pretty much everyone here has said the Caps had no chance at him. The Caps couldn't offer what it would have taken to move up those two spots, and they would have been INSANE to give it up. How exactly do you know the Caps were considering trading up for the #2 pick? Were you in their meetings? Or are just taking what Melrose and his ilk say is gospel? Have fun watching Slapshot 2 and enjoy your swampland
What in Gawds name are you talking about? The Pens fan made a comment, and I made a reply. 3/4 of this board is specualtion and chat about who we'd like to see signed, what we predict, etc.
Who are you to tell people that they cannot reply?

If you don't like a conversation...don't read it.

Old
05-18-2007, 09:51 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
What in Gawds name are you talking about? The Pens fan made a comment, and I made a reply. 3/4 of this board is specualtion and chat about who we'd like to see signed, what we predict, etc.
Who are you to tell people that they cannot reply?

If you don't like a conversation...don't read it.

Total revisionist history here, dude. The direct quote is "we should have grabbed him". That's speculation? How? Speculation is on the order of "if Jordan Staal had been available we should have explored the option of getting him". No way dude. You said "we should HAVE". If you don't want your comments to be dissected then don't post them

Old
05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
well I at least know Semin > Staal

actually it's tough to compare the two, both bring two completely different type of game to the table

Old
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
SwOOsh*

Quote:
If you think that Staal is > Semin, Backstrom, and picks... you don't know a thing about hockey.

SwOOsh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Volsus

slightly OT:

Did anyone see Backstrom throw out the opening pitch at the Nationals game? Just curious

Volsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsus View Post
slightly OT:

Did anyone see Backstrom throw out the opening pitch at the Nationals game? Just curious
They didn't show it before the start of the game. They might have shown it between innings but I haven't been watching. I'd look for footage to be on the Caps site soonish most likely.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Cush
-inator

from the OB's:

Quote:
elCapo13

They just talked to Uncle Teddy on the WGN broadcast of the Os at Nats.
Didnt catch all of it, but he talked about how it was a priority to add 3 or 4 players this offseason via free agency or trades... a center and defenseman being top priority.

Backstrom looked really bored throughout the interview
Quote:
norske

I thought the poor kid looked distinctly uncomfortable. After all, the reporter, a young woman, was leaning across him to talk to Ted, so they were talking across him while talking about him and ignoring him competely. It must have been a weird situation for him.

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Flyerfan808

as a Flyers fan I have to say that I am very excited to see Ovechkin and Semin w/ a playmaker such as Backstrom to play with. Good luck next year.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Cush
-inator

showed it on Sportsnite, did get it over the plate, couldn't tell if it was a strike or not.

Sounds like he'll be on WPL either tomorrow or Tuesday

Last edited by Cush: 05-20-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old
05-20-2007, 11:14 PM
The Viking Fury

Youtube?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

FYI, the brief story at washingtoncaps.com includes a still pic.

As noted they showed it on the local Comcast (along with highlights from the Bears game). Too bad, they didn't bring him up to Hershey to watch the game - what an atmosphere and performance by the Bears).

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Cush
-inator

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...m_on_mark.html
Quote:
Disclaimer: I didn't attend yesterday's O's-Nats game at RFK. But I'm told Nicklas Backstrom, attending his first baseball game, tossed a strike when he threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Could it be a sign of things to come in Washington for the 19-year-old center? We'll see.