HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Ben Eager to a 2 yr. deal

Old
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Pay cut?! Nice.
well, that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Spelling mistakes are one thing, although they bug me too, but grammar errors and people using one word when they mean another kill me. Like when someone called Pitkanen inane instead of innate, which was actually quite humorous in that case. I had a boss that used to say mute instead of moot and it pained me every time. The worst offender is probably your/you're. Anyway, enough rambling.
resign and re-sign drive me nuts... especially since they sorta mean polar opposites. what makes that one ever worse is that you see people in the media do it too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
resign and re-sign drive me nuts... especially since they sorta mean polar opposites. what makes that one ever worse is that you see people in the media do it too.
I was thinking re-sign could legally be spelled resign also but you may be right about it always being hyphenated..

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
Awesome, Eager and Cote make Fedoruk really null and void.

I love Fridge and hes one of my favorite flyers ever, but we don't have the time to **** around while he gets his nerve back.

Eager, Cote, Downie....we are going to be hated even more.
Well said, Kevin.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
I'll never forget the phantom one he got durring that afternoon game. I forget who they were playing, but both Eager and his opponent dropped their gloves simultaniously but Eager somehow earned the instigator. If I remember the incident correctly the guy asked Eager if he "wanted to go?"

Anyway, good getting him locked up. He needs to play hockey more and fight less, he's got some talent.
It was against pittsburg. He wrecked the guy with a hit, the guy got up with his bruised ego and attacked ben. Obviously he got his ass beat too, maybe thats why the ref handed him the instigator

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
phlocky

The one that makes me laugh the most is "then" and "than." Watch, almost everyone uses "then" when they are making a comparison when they actually want to use "than."

IE - "I'd much rather have this player then that player."

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
rayearth

Yup, there's a bunch that I always make sure I double check before I send anything out. You should see some we get at work.

Old
05-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
I was thinking re-sign could legally be spelled resign also but you may be right about it always being hyphenated..
nope... two completely different words.

resign... as in, I resigned from my job today.

re-sign... as in, I re-signed with my company today.

can't spell them the same or the confusion would be off the charts and we'd be reverting back to German... which does have words that are that complex contextually.

Old
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
ChiTown Flyer

Quote:
Spelling mistakes are one thing, although they bug me too, but grammar errors and people using one word when they mean another kill me. Like when someone called Pitkanen inane instead of innate, which was actually quite humorous in that case. I had a boss that used to say mute instead of moot and it pained me every time. The worst offender is probably your/you're. Anyway, enough rambling.
Right there with you, brother. Dives me absolutely bonkers.

Psyched about the Eager signing, and a pay cut to boot!

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:56 PM
rayearth

Quote:
can't spell them the same or the confusion would be off the charts and we'd be reverting back to German... which does have words that are that complex contextually.
Have you seen how many definitions the word 'set' has?
http://puzzles.about.com/library/weekly/blmosdef.htm

Old
05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Have you seen how many definitions the word 'set' has?
http://puzzles.about.com/library/weekly/blmosdef.htm
germanic languages are awesome... happily we don't have the flexibility of word creation that German has... you can literally make any word you want up on the spot in German.

Old
05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Pay cut?! Nice.

I love Ben Eager.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:11 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
germanic languages are awesome... happily we don't have the flexibility of word creation that German has... you can literally make any word you want up on the spot in German.
I'm from Austria and as you should know, we speak German as well. I've heard from many people who studied it that it is difficult to learn. But I'll tell you one thing: I don't think it's difficult at all, everything makes perfect sense.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
I'm from Austria and as you should know, we speak German as well. I've heard from many people who studied it that it is difficult to learn. But I'll tell you one thing: I don't think it's difficult at all, everything makes perfect sense.
it's really tough for English speakers because of the articles for starters... and then there's a lot of similarities that end up driving you off a cliff. the syntax is so alien to english it is absurd...

going the other way, German to English, is a lot easier... which makes sense because in some sense English is a simplified version of German linguistically. English, of course, was also greatly hybridized by Romance languages... but at its heart it's germanic.

my flatmate this year is from Germany and i was with one of his friends in Munich who has an English mother... has lived in Germany/Austria for 30 years he was telling me... still can't do her articles 100% correct.

Old
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Kaktus*

Wondering how much..

Hopefully Eager will start playing more like Chris Neil... Thats what I am hoping for. I think he has skill but playing under Berruby did not help him.. He is becoming a goon and refs put him in the box for no reason.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Wondering how much..
1.2M over 2 years.

Old
05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
1.2M over 2 years.
good deal.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
my flatmate this year is from Germany and i was with one of his friends in Munich who has an English mother... has lived in Germany/Austria for 30 years he was telling me... still can't do her articles 100% correct.
That doesn't really surprise me. I don't know why but I don't have difficulties to find the fitting article in English.
English is by far the easist language I've ever heard of. I mean, almost everybody in the world knows at least a bit of it. Guess why it has become the dominating language.

But we getting a little off-topic. I love the intensity of Eager and I really like keeping him for two more years. IMO accepting a pay cut tells us a lot about his character.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
TOCxNJ

awesome...great sign. i think we definitely need eager for that side of the game. stoked.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm guessing that they rewarded Eager with a one-way contract, making it easy for him to accept the marginal pay-cut of $24K.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Moron/maroon always makes me laugh as its always used to insult someone intelligence but the poster just makes a fool of themselves by calling someone else a colour instead of an idiot.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Wondering how much..

Hopefully Eager will start playing more like Chris Neil... Thats what I am hoping for. I think he has skill but playing under Berruby did not help him.. He is becoming a goon and refs put him in the box for no reason.
I agree with you. He is great at getting under people's skin and that is SOOO valuable to a hockey team. But the days of old are gone... we need to have 4 lines that can score. Eager has the potential to be like Neil, Roy, Tucker, Avery. A agitator who can scrap and score. I can't wait for him to realize it.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:41 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm guessing that they rewarded Eager with a one-way contract, making it easy for him to accept the marginal pay-cut of $24K.
the cap hit is accually 56k less. big money

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Awesome.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
Right there with you, brother. Dives me absolutely bonkers.

Psyched about the Eager signing, and a pay cut to boot!

oh the irony. . . .

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
it's really tough for English speakers because of the articles for starters... and then there's a lot of similarities that end up driving you off a cliff. the syntax is so alien to english it is absurd...
haha, you guys are starting to scare me a bit. I'm taking German next year to fufill my Foreign language requirement in my Int Relations degree and after reading you guys I'm getting second thoughts. I've spent quite a bit of time with some German imports, including a brief fling with a girl from Munich, so I've come to really enjoy the culture.

Anyway, sorry for the OT post, just felt like commenting.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote