HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Idea with Calgary

Old
05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
IceHot

vCash: 500
Trade Idea with Calgary

Calgary has a serious need for DEFENSEMAN and I read might be shopping Kristian Huselius to fill that void due to injuries there.
What about packaging a centerman which they need like
R.J. Umberger with a defender they might desperately need like
Denis Gauthier or Hatcher to make up for Regehr being out possibly for the year.
Umberger isn't a playmaker needed for second line duty and not defensively sound enough for checking line duty so he's expendable on our roster but might very well fit Calgary's roster.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
rayearth

Pitkanen?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:40 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Pitkanen?
C'mon Ray, I actually read this one because it didn't contain the name "Pitkanen", then you had to go and blow it for me.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Huselius alone is a questionable return for Umberger + Gauthier. Only thing is, they don't really have many other expendable assets (besides picks) that I'd want as a throw in.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711 View Post
Huselius alone is a questionable return for Umberger + Gauthier. Only thing is, they don't really have many other expendable assets (besides picks) that I'd want as a throw in.

Honestly, I'd be happy with just picks as the return. RJ and Denis for an 07 2nd and 08 4th seems about fair. It would be nice for RJ to go somewhee that he could be used more in their system and we'd be out from under one of our tough to move vets. We'd free up 2 roster spots for either new FA's to take their place or for younger players to be promoted. A second and a forth are about as good as I think we could expect in return.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
C'mon Ray, I actually read this one because it didn't contain the name "Pitkanen", then you had to go and blow it for me.
5 minutes in the box.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:11 PM
tytech

I want no part of Huselius. He's too soft. He'd turn into York on this team. Unless calgary bites on Hatcher and his ocntract, no way. Definitely not Umberger, as someone suggested.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
Calgary has a serious need for DEFENSEMAN and I read might be shopping Kristian Huselius to fill that void due to injuries there.
Denis Gauthier or Hatcher to make up for Regehr being out possibly for the year.
Umberger isn't a playmaker needed for second line duty and not defensively sound enough for checking line duty so he's expendable on our roster but might very well fit Calgary's roster.
Flyers do not have any d-man to trade to Flames. Maybe Gauthier but I think we should keep him for one more season.

Parent and Picard should start in AHL next season get stronger, faster and challenge NHL spot during the season if injuries occur. Knowing our luck with injuries, it will happen.

Hatcher will probably stay with the Flyers for next 2 seasons. No other GM is crazy enough to trade for him

Gauthier.. he will do just fine as long as we do not play him top 4. Some Flyers fans do not like him but he did have a surgery and should be healthy enough to return and be what he is.. A number one hitter on this team. He can hit like a train. Playing him at 5 and 6 is a little too expensive but Flyers can afford him. We can unload him at the trade dead line.

Kukkonen, no way in hell Flyers should give him up.
Coburn has potential to become #2 if he continues to improve.
Pitkanen should not be traded at this point.

UFA, Pitkanen, Kukkonen, Coburn, Hatcher and Gauthier. This a lot better then what we had last season. While Parent and Picard improving in AHL and replacing injured players.

I am nto really interested in Kristian Huselius. I do not think he will work for us.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-14-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Flyers do not have any d-man to trade to Flames. Maybe Gauthier but I think we should keep him for one more season.

Parent and Picard should start in AHL next season get stronger, faster and challenge NHL spot during the season if injuries occur. Knowing our luck with injuries, it will happen.

Hatcher will probably stay with the Flyers for next 2 seasons. No other GM is crazy enough to trade for him

Gauthier.. he will do just fine as long as we do not play him top 4. Some Flyers fans do not like him but he did have a surgery and should be healthy enough to return and be what he is.. A number one hitter on this team.

Kukkonen, no way in hell Flyers should give him up.
Coburn has potential to become #2 if he continues to improve.
Pitkanen should not be traded at this point.

UFA, Pitkanen, Kukkonen, Coburn, Hatcher and Gauthier. This a lot better then what we had last season.

I am nto really interested in Kristian Huselius. I do not think he will work for us.
I like Gauthier... but I think he's going to get moved for cap considerations if they land a few high-salary UFAs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I like Gauthier... but I think he's going to get moved for cap considerations if they land a few high-salary UFAs.
It is possible.

I believe Gauthier is ok if he plays 10 min a game.

Old
05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
It is possible.

I believe Gauthier is ok if he plays 10 min a game.
you have to play more than that a game if you're a defenseman... and he's fine in the 15-18 minute role. he's even better if you put him with another competent defenseman (aka, not a rookie or an offensive guy) and that lets him play more aggressive at the line.

i like the SCARY physicality that Gauthier brings to a team on the backline, i think it's good to keep offensive players honest and he definitely does it. however, his salary is very moveable and will help create space elsewhere depending on what Holmgren does. i'd rather trade Hatcher, but don't see that happening.

Old
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
you have to play more than that a game if you're a defenseman... and he's fine in the 15-18 minute role. he's even better if you put him with another competent defenseman (aka, not a rookie or an offensive guy) and that lets him play more aggressive at the line.

i like the SCARY physicality that Gauthier brings to a team on the backline, i think it's good to keep offensive players honest and he definitely does it. however, his salary is very moveable and will help create space elsewhere depending on what Holmgren does. i'd rather trade Hatcher, but don't see that happening.
10-15 minutes for Gauthier tops. and if his salary is moveable (which it is), why do we want to trade him now?

Picard is not physically ready IMO, plus I would like to see him playing 25-30 minuts in AHL for another year. Parent even know he is big, strong and fast has (some) back issues. Playing in AHL 25-30 minutes will also help him to get stronger. No need to rush. We have good future on blue line. They both will see some limited time in NHL next season because you know someone will get injured.

2nd year players like Coburn, Kukkonen (as good as he is and god knows I love how he plays) will not mature over night.

Pitkanen must work on his game. He did not look any better then any 2nd year rookie this season.

Old
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
I want no part of Huselius. He's too soft. He'd turn into York on this team. Unless calgary bites on Hatcher and his ocntract, no way. Definitely not Umberger, as someone suggested.
Soft? You're kidding right? Because Huselius is anything but soft? Guys like Pierre Maguire and Bob Mackenzie were actually commenting about how physical of a player Huselius was in Calgary this year. While he only had 26 PIM this year, that's a testament to the smart and physical hockey he played. If you want to blame anything for the Flames playoff failures this year, blame that idiot coach of theirs. Sutter should have hired one of his brothers instead of Playfair.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
10-15 minutes for Gauthier tops. and if his salary is moveable (which it is), why do we want to trade him now?

Picard is not physically ready IMO, plus I would like to see him playing 25-30 minuts in AHL for another year. Parent even know he is big, strong and fast has (some) back issues. Playing in AHL 25-30 minutes will also help him to get stronger. No need to rush. We have good future on blue line. They both will see some limited time in NHL next season because you know someone will get injured.

2nd year players like Coburn, Kukkonen (as good as he is and god knows I love how he plays) will not mature over night.

Pitkanen must work on his game. He did not look any better then any 2nd year rookie this season.
so that we have an extra 2M to spend on the market for the front-line guys.

Old
05-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
so that we have an extra 2M to spend on the market for the front-line guys.
Why? I think we have enough. I mean who do you have in mind? If we are talking about some one like Kariya. Sure trade Gauthier contract to get this player. If we are talking about 3M contract we have enough $.

Old
05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why? I think we have enough. I mean who do you have in mind? If we are talking about some one like Kariya. Sure trade Gauthier contract to get this player. If we are talking about 3M contract we have enough $.
it's going to be much tighter than people think... and i have a feeling Gauthier may get pushed to 7th dman role... and it make more sense to put Jones in that role and trade Gauthier for a pick or whatever.

i really want this team to find a veteran forward a la Shanny in NYR to be one of the voices in the room... they desperately need a UFA center (which we may not get), but they also need a couple of guys who will consistently get it done, and can help lead the younger guys over the hill.

Gary Roberts, for example, would be ideal to play next to Carter... but he's not going to come here. We just need that guy who will play 2 years and be out of the way as guys like Giroux, Nodl, Downie, no. 2 (assuming we use it), etc. break into the lineup and then the guys that are already here are ready to absord younger players.

Tkachuk, Kozlov, etc. are all options i think they should consider... Recchi would be fantastic, but i doubt he's leaving Pitt.

Then you got a UFA defenseman to sign... maybe two... and a 4th line center is a potential signing also.

Old
05-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
hmmm....

Denis Gauthier + Sanderson/Umberger for Huselius?

I think that the shoe could fit. Huselius could be the no.2 left wing that everyone is clammoring about:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ayerId=8466181

If the trade panned out, our roster might look like this:

Gagne-X1-Knuble
Huselius-Carter-Upshall
Afanasenkov-Richards-Kapanen
Cote-Eager-X2

X3-X4
Pitkanen-Kukkonen
Hatcher-Coburn

Biron>Nitty

Though Huselius is not my first choice of a LWer... he is a free agent in 08, which means that if he doesn't come through we can trade him at the deadline to a playoff contender and look for a new left winger to come in through free agency. and he only makes 1.4 mil per season. So it isn't as if we will have to break the bank to get him.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be if Calgary would actually pull the trigger on the deal?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Calgary is going to have to throw something else in to get RJ or Gauthier for Huselius.

Pass.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Philadelphia is going to have to throw something else in to get Huselius for RJ and Gauthier.
Fixed.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Norm MacDonald

Huselius had 77 points this season and is making under $2 million. Give the guy at least a little credit.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:18 AM
McNasty

Yea, Huselius put together a pretty solid year so its going to take more then Umberger and Gauthier, but you never know. I don't know if i want him anyway to be completely honest. Not at the price it may cost.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Yea, Huselius put together a pretty solid year so its going to take more then Umberger and Gauthier, but you never know. I don't know if i want him anyway to be completely honest. Not at the price it may cost.
yeah I have to sort of agree w/ you and the poster before you... people are so quick to say "no way would I want Huselius here" but you never know he might fit in well as someone else mentioned he had 77 points and will cost 1.4 mil. However, I think w/ that kind of production and that kind of salary it probably makes him untradeable don't you think?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
phlocky

Quote:
it's going to be much tighter than people think... and i have a feeling Gauthier may get pushed to 7th dman role... and it make more sense to put Jones in that role and trade Gauthier for a pick or whatever.

i really want this team to find a veteran forward a la Shanny in NYR to be one of the voices in the room... they desperately need a UFA center (which we may not get), but they also need a couple of guys who will consistently get it done, and can help lead the younger guys over the hill.

Gary Roberts, for example, would be ideal to play next to Carter... but he's not going to come here. We just need that guy who will play 2 years and be out of the way as guys like Giroux, Nodl, Downie, no. 2 (assuming we use it), etc. break into the lineup and then the guys that are already here are ready to absord younger players.

Tkachuk, Kozlov, etc. are all options i think they should consider... Recchi would be fantastic, but i doubt he's leaving Pitt.

Then you got a UFA defenseman to sign... maybe two... and a 4th line center is a potential signing also.

We did go through this about a month or 2 months ago and I believe we'll have right around 12-17 mil to spend on UFA's this season. That's not as much as people think. It could be as low as 12 mil if the cap doesn't rise as high as some believe and we can't move any players currently under contract. It could be as high as 17 mil if we move one of Gauthier/Hatcher and the cap goes up to 49 mil.

That's really not very much money to spend. Remember, that 21 mil or so that people are projecting that we have to spend doesn't include the RFA's we still need to sign nor does it include ANY player still on a 2-way contract. As it stands right now, to sign the RFA's, fill our roster with current players we can put up 12 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies and have about 12 mil left. We'd need to add 2 forwards (our #1 center and 2nd line wing). We COULD add an 8th dman and send Picard down and/or bring up Potulny/Ruzicka for the 2nd line wing but right now our wiggle room isn't very much.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Hammerwise

we need playmakers more than power forwards IMO.

Calgary probably deals a defenseman like Hamrlik (depends if they re-sign Stuart). With their cap problems next yr they won't take on salary in trade. Huselius is not a "worker" and we don't need that on our club, because we lack leaders. He is also not a playmaker, he is a shooter/sniper and we have plenty of those.

Gautheir and Umberger for Langkow (or Lombardi) and RICHIE regehr or a 2nd rounder?

Or we add a 3rd to Gautheir and Umberger and get Langkow and Hamrlik? (langkow would be a suitable option at 2nd line playmaker, hamrlik did a nice job of tutoring Phaneuf)?

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise View Post
we need playmakers more than power forwards IMO.

Calgary probably deals a defenseman like Hamrlik (depends if they re-sign Stuart). With their cap problems next yr they won't take on salary in trade. Huselius is not a "worker" and we don't need that on our club, because we lack leaders. He is also not a playmaker, he is a shooter/sniper and we have plenty of those.

Gautheir and Umberger for Langkow (or Lombardi) and RICHIE regehr or a 2nd rounder?

Or we add a 3rd to Gautheir and Umberger and get Langkow and Hamrlik? (langkow would be a suitable option at 2nd line playmaker, hamrlik did a nice job of tutoring Phaneuf)?
First of all Flyers need both playmakers and power forwards..

Hamrlik is UFA, who wants Langkow when we have Carter.. Who wants Richie Regehr? Whats the difference between him and Jones? Both Picard and Parent are better then Richie Regehr maybe Lars Jonsson is better too. I do not think Flames will unload Lombardi either, not for Umberger they are not. Lombardi, young, super fast, improved this season.. Why would Flames want Umberger, anyway?

I would love to have Robyn Regehr but Flames will not trade him..

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-15-2007 at 11:12 AM.