HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you all want a sweep, even if it means 10 days of rest?

Old
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Preeat

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
I know that we haven't won the series yet, but I need to get travel plans in place for coming back to Ottawa.

According to the NBC website:

Saturday, June 2 - Game 3
Monday, June 4 - Game 4
Wednesday, June 6 - Game 5
Thursday, June 9 - Game 6
Friday, June 10 - Game 7

I don't think I believe these. If anyone knows, please post here.
That doesn't make sense AT ALL. There is no way Thursday comes 3 days after Wednesday. According to that Game 5 is on the 6th(wednesday) and game 6 is on the 9th(Thursday). And even more, there is no chance in hell they would play back to back to back games in the cup finals.

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:54 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

I don't get this thread. Why would anyone prefer the Sens lost a game so they get a little less rest before the finals? We haven't won THIS round yet so everyone should root for a sweep!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Let's take care of Buffalo on Wednesday and complete the sweep than we can sit back and enjoy the Ducks/Wings series and see what happens there. The Sens have already had two breaks that lasted a week each , one may have even been 8 days so why would this long a break be a big deal?

The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:02 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
Just like Carolina thought "Oh ****" last year when Edmonton had a huge rest before the Finals?

Or like New Jersey thought "Oh ****" in 2003 when Anaheim had a huge rest before the Finals?

I really don't think Detroit or Anaheim are going to be intimidated by Ottawa, sweep or not.
Weren't all of those teams lower seeds though??

I don't think it matters so much...less chance of injuries, and time to heal some injuries themselves.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Lonnie Loach

Sure affected the 67's when they had a month off and won the Memorial Cup.

Seriously, though, any rust will only last for a period of the first game.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Sens4Cup

I think Ottawa's a bit different than some teams. They have a young core group of guys who would likely be fine with 10 days off or 2 days off and I don't think either would greatly affect them.

The team will likely practice pretty hard in their time off, while a team like Detroit may use the time more for rest if they got it, while I'm sure the Sens will be on the ice most days, and playing scrums and that sort of thing so they keep up the game shape.

I think whoever they play could be in for a shocker if the Western series goes 7 games and they get a couple days off before facing a well rested and hungry Ottawa team. The Sens seem poised to sweep the Sabres as the Sabres are pretty much rolling over and playing dead at this point, while Ottawa crushes them.

Also as far as new history for the team goes this would be the first time that they'll sweep a series! And their playoff record will be 12-2. Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup playing less than 20 games with the current 7 game series, 4 round format?

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:47 PM
OttawaGM

Comrie needs rest so a layoff would be good. Also would give them time to come up with 2 VERY good game plans for which ever team wins the west. That being said we haven't done anything yet.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Erick G

This isnt it?
We still play after we beat the sabres?

Erick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
As a Flames fan, I know you have to finish off the team when you have the chance. Only two teams have come back from a 3-0 defecit in history, Buffalo is a strong team and must be finished wednesday.

On the other hand, it's about winning the whole thing. We're happy we got to the finals in 04 but it doesn't mean anything unless you win. I think a week off may be too much time off for the Sens - the ideal would probably be 3 or 4 days. Just enough to heal, regroup, and not get rusty.

Either way, it's all about winning the cup, not making the final.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:39 AM
aka_mouse

You guys are all talking sweep already, but for all the doom and gloom stuff in the Buffalo media... this is all according to plan. We are LETTING YOU WIN these first 3... it OBVIOUS.

Cause then the Sens think they have ECF in the bag and BAM Buffalo makes sports history with an amazing four-in-a-row comeback. The chances of Ottawa winning the conference finals at this point is about zero point zero.

aka_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:42 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
You guys are all talking sweep already, but for all the doom and gloom stuff in the Buffalo media... this is all according to plan. We are LETTING YOU WIN these first 3... it OBVIOUS.

Cause then the Sens think they have ECF in the bag and BAM Buffalo makes sports history with an amazing four-in-a-row comeback. The chances of Ottawa winning the conference finals at this point is about zero point zero.
Well, if Ottawa loses now, you have my permission to call them chokers.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:24 AM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post

IT'S A TRAP!!!

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
What's the alternative?

Throwing a game so that we can get more action?

Come on!
LOL

Besides the OBVIOUS that NyQuil just enunciated brilliantly, think about it. There are so many reasons to simply win the next game... or at least do everything you can to win it.

a) It will be very sweet for Ottawa to get a sweep of a divisional rival - its payback time!
b) Rest is always good,
c) Avoid uneccessary injuries
d) We are still playing Buffalo, why help them pad their stats and get a glimmer of hope.
e) Close out this series with a win, and enjoy watching the other two teams beat each up in overtime games and hope it goes to seven games to decide our next round opponent.
f) Bragging rights!
g) Time to go purchase your McAmmond Jersey for his penalty killing

The list goes on! =)

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Heatley4Hart*

I don't know, I would not mind losing game 4 here and rap it up on the road in HSBC where we are 6-1 in the playoffs on the road and we give our selves about 7 days off instead of 10.

But are 10 and 7 days a big deal in the difference of time? Both are LONG layoffs and we better find things to do to stay sharp.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Westernsensfan

Didn't they already have like 7 or 8 days of rest before this round or after the Pens, and they obviously seemed fine, 2 more days shouldn't be that much of a big deal.

Besides im sure they have some bumps etc.. and could use some extra time to heal.

Westernsensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Absolutely.

This team has shown incredible focus even after two 5-game series.

It's all about the killer instinct.

Plus, if a guy like Heatley is hobbled by an ankle injury, and Comrie doesn't seem himself, the time off could be useful.
Heh, so you can finaly put the nads on the line eh? Good to see

Like I said last night.....it is golfing time for you know who I had no doubt what so ever. Even had we lost that OT game with the way Sens were weathering the early storm & carrying play IN BUFFALO everytime.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:16 AM
vdB

Any team that can win 4 in row against the Sens team were seeing right now, deserves 10 Stanley Cups and a automatic entry into the hall of fame.

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:27 AM
PlayItAgain

Also the longer this Buffalo series goes, the better the chance that some freak injury could happen to one of our key players hindering our chances.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:46 AM
heatley_fan*

I want the Sens to finish it off in game 5 in overtime, shorthanded

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
Historically, teams with more than a week off (more than 7 days off) between playoff series generally have a very bad winning percentage in their next series.
The Ducks seem to be doing just fine.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:20 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Please...I beg you to sweep us. Put us out of our misery, I'll take the loss so much better.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I don't want to give the Sabres any glimmer of hope what so ever so I really don't care about the long break. The last thing we fans should hope for is to give some confidence to the Buffalo just so the guys are less rusty for the other serie.

They have won 2 series in 5 games and it didn't hurt them in games one so far. Other than a little let down in the NJ series (but they were up 4-0, teams usually let their guard down when up 4-0) they haven't played two bad consecutive period yet!!

I would also love a sweep cause it took us so long to have a 2-0 lead and it would be too bad not to finish it when we're up 3-0 for the first time in history. I don't want to give the medias the chance to ask them next year "well you guys are 0-1 when up 3-0, what's up with that??!"

I would also love a sweep cause it would be redemtion for our 3 playoffs lost to the Sabres. Every lost to the Leafs were bad and disheartening, but nothing can top last years lost, or that game 7 Derek Plante goal.

So I say

SWEEP THE SLUGS!!

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:05 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
I know that we haven't won the series yet, but I need to get travel plans in place for coming back to Ottawa.

According to the NBC website:

Saturday, June 2 - Game 3
Monday, June 4 - Game 4
Wednesday, June 6 - Game 5
Saturday, June 9 - Game 6
Sunday, June 10 - Game 7

I don't think I believe these. If anyone knows, please post here.
I hope it's wrong, but it could be right?

It's Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth, but the last possible end date is Monday, June 11:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

Anaheim-Detroit ends on Thurs, May 24 if it goes to 7. The last few years, they've played the Finals on Mon, Wed and Sat, so my guess is:

Mon, May 28 - Game 1
Wed, May 30 - Game 2
Sat, June 2 - Game 3
Mon, June 4 - Game 4
Wed, June 6 - Game 5
Sat, June 9 - Game 6
Mon, June 11 - Game 7

I'm watching this quite closely, since I'm in NYC June 2-9.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:18 AM
bastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I hope it's wrong, but it could be right?

It's Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth, but the last possible end date is Monday, June 11:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

Anaheim-Detroit ends on Thurs, May 24 if it goes to 7. The last few years, they've played the Finals on Mon, Wed and Sat, so my guess is:

Mon, May 28 - Game 1
Wed, May 30 - Game 2
Sat, June 2 - Game 3
Mon, June 4 - Game 4
Wed, June 6 - Game 5
Sat, June 9 - Game 6
Mon, June 11 - Game 7

i hope this is right.I will be there for game 6 100% to see the Sens win the Stanley Cup

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I'm off to Europe on June 3!

If both series ends quick (say WCF ends in 5 games), is the schedule flexible enough to have the Final start earlier?

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote