HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tootoo tonight

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Tootoo tonight

he got a misconduct for charging i think was it bad?

Old
12-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I nominate this for thread title of the year

Old
12-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I nominate this for thread title of the year

Old
12-22-2003, 06:30 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
He got a penalty for charging. He was skating real fast behind the net and pinballed off the defenseman and hit the goalie. Not real hard and probably didn't have to be called but oh well. Then he comes out of the box during a whistle, and Shane Doan starts yacking at him (I never realized how much Shane Doan talks [I'm being nice about my word choice] to the refs). He skates right up to Doan and makes a touch of contact. Not enough to even budge Doan, but enough that you could tell they touched. The ref immediately threw Tootoo in the box. I really thought it was a bad call and that if it wasn't Tootoo, it wouldn't have even been important, but the refs were probably trying to keep the game in check.

Tootoo didn't play much after that, but played enough to rock Ference's world. Just because he is 7 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Tootoo doesn't mean he can fight him. Tootoo was landing monster hits and nailed him for the takedown. Ference had to swallow what was left of his pride on the way to the box.

Old
12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
dulzhok

I think it was his first charging penalty of the year. Maybe second.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Man I Love TooToo

Old
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Man I Love TooToo
Since we're supposed to be watching our spelling, it's "Tootoo", not "TooToo". :p

Seriously though....Tootoo has a habit of charging. He gets called for it as often as he should be imo. Other than that, he brings a lot of energy to the rink most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Then he comes out of the box during a whistle, and Shane Doan starts yacking at him (I never realized how much Shane Doan talks [I'm being nice about my word choice] to the refs). He skates right up to Doan and makes a touch of contact. Not enough to even budge Doan, but enough that you could tell they touched. The ref immediately threw Tootoo in the box. I really thought it was a bad call and that if it wasn't Tootoo, it wouldn't have even been important, but the refs were probably trying to keep the game in check.
Considering that Tootoo got a 10-minute Misconduct for it, the call wasn't because of the severity of the contact he made with Doan. It was basically putting him in the box for being a dumbass. Anybody else would have got the same penalty.

I see it as a rookie mistake on Tootoo's part. Doan might have started it by being lippy, but it was a veteran move on his part. He was trying to get Tootoo to smack him one, and he accomplished just that. Tootoo should have simply returned the trash talk and skated away. If he would have done that, he wouldn't have gotten a penalty at all.

Last edited by BCCHL inactive: 12-22-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Old
12-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Tootoo should have simply returned the trash talk and skated away.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:36 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
And what would you have done? ....Do what Tootoo did and sit an extra 10 minutes?

Old
12-23-2003, 01:30 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
And what would you have done? ....Do what Tootoo did and sit an extra 10 minutes?
No, Tootoo got the 10 minutes because he's a rookie and he needs to learn. If that's Yzerman skating up to Doan, no penalties are handed out. Tootoo should have been smarter, but I would never have guessed a penalty of any sort would have occured. Definitely was a statement by the officials moreso than anything. It was a preventative measure.

And Tootoo got a call for charging the goaltender (atleast that's the only legit call that he deserved). It was one of those iffy calls that could have gone either way. Like some pass interferences in football, you've seen harder stuff called, but you've seen weaker stuff called as well.

Old
12-23-2003, 01:54 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
If that's Yzerman skating up to Doan, no penalties are handed out.
You are probably right...in fact Doan would probably be sitting in the box if that happened.....on the other side of the token, would Doan be lipping off to Steve Yzerman in such a situation? I tend to think not.

It was simply Doan playing the veteran and Tootoo playing the rookie. The rookie made the mistake, and sat 10 minutes for it.

Old
12-23-2003, 05:01 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
People are unhappy that Doan agitated an agitator?

Old
12-23-2003, 09:21 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Seriously though....Tootoo has a habit of charging. He gets called for it as often as he should be imo.
He has a habit of charging and he gets called for it as often as he should? As dulzhok said it was maybe his second charging call of the year! Does that constitute a habit?

Everybody said before the season that he was going to be called for charging all the time. 28 games in and he has "maybe" two?

Old
12-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Only reason he got called for charging against PHX was because he bounced off the defenseman and hit the goalie. When you hit the goalie, it is charging. I've never seen it called anything else.

Old
12-23-2003, 12:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
He has a habit of charging and he gets called for it as often as he should? As dulzhok said it was maybe his second charging call of the year! Does that constitute a habit?

Everybody said before the season that he was going to be called for charging all the time. 28 games in and he has "maybe" two?
That's his first "charging" penalty and Jonsey is right it got the penalty for hitting the goalie.

Old
12-23-2003, 02:48 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead

It doesn't have to be a charging penalty...it can be called roughing, boarding, elbowing, high sticking (if he goes in with his stick up).....

Not only that, Tootoo doesn't exactly play 20 minutes per game. He's not going to lead his team in penalty minutes this season.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:03 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

It wasnt on TV so ill hold my judgement.
Regardless, im winning my fantasy penalty category thanks to Tootoo

Old
12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
That's his first "charging" penalty
The "first" of many more to come I'm sure.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:48 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
The "first" of many more to come I'm sure.

Don't be so sure. He has absolutely rocked guys like Klesla (multiple), Martinek, Poapst, Fischer...the list goes on and on and on. He hasn't received a charging penalty (or a roughing for that matter). He doesn't get called for penalties because the refs deem his hits illegal; he gets charged for penalties because of extracurricular activities.

These illegal hits that so many of his detractors have complained about have not been called. In fact, the NHL has gone so far as to say the hits are legal. Sounds like sour grapes from some fans of teams he punished.

Old
12-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Don't be so sure. He has absolutely rocked guys like Klesla (multiple), Martinek, Poapst, Fischer...the list goes on and on and on. He hasn't received a charging penalty (or a roughing for that matter). He doesn't get called for penalties because the refs deem his hits illegal; he gets charged for penalties because of extracurricular activities.

These illegal hits that so many of his detractors have complained about have not been called. In fact, the NHL has gone so far as to say the hits are legal. Sounds like sour grapes from some fans of teams he punished.
here here! Thanks Santa for the Tootoo train!!

Old
12-24-2003, 06:42 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i love him, atleast he brings some flare back to the games. guys have become so sluggish and comfortable lugging the puck through their zone, and they are so flustered now that someone is hitting again...

it's amazing how many guys can't take a good hard check or ***** about it after their teammate gets corked

tootoocachoo

Old
12-24-2003, 09:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i love him, atleast he brings some flare back to the games. guys have become so sluggish and comfortable lugging the puck through their zone, and they are so flustered now that someone is hitting again...

it's amazing how many guys can't take a good hard check or ***** about it after their teammate gets corked

tootoocachoo

i wish they'd remeber to try to take it out on tootoo, though. when he nailed sakic....blake retaliated...by demolishing johansson...who has been out of the lineup ever since with a concussion.

oooh, tough guy.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i wish they'd remeber to try to take it out on tootoo, though. when he nailed sakic....blake retaliated...by demolishing johansson...who has been out of the lineup ever since with a concussion.

oooh, tough guy.

it was a hip check?

Old
12-24-2003, 10:07 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids

oooh, tough guy.
wha? if it was a clean hit then that's all and good. that's big hit for big hit, nothing wrong with that.

if you don't want to fight (blake) but still get retribution, go out looking for a giant hit (clean)..

Old
12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
wha? if it was a clean hit then that's all and good. that's big hit for big hit, nothing wrong with that.

if you don't want to fight (blake) but still get retribution, go out looking for a giant hit (clean)..
that was subject to debate. of course...avs fans thought it was clean...preds fans(myself included) saw blakes stick connect with AJ's forehead. at least he's finally on the verge of coming back...and it's not like we haven't been playing well without him

Closed Thread