HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tootoo tonight

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
that was subject to debate. of course...avs fans thought it was clean...preds fans(myself included) saw blakes stick connect with AJ's forehead. at least he's finally on the verge of coming back...and it's not like we haven't been playing well without him

ooooh that hit. that was clean.

Old
12-25-2003, 06:58 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
ooooh that hit. that was clean.

My thoughts on the Blake hit. If Blake hadn't knocked AJ out for 30 games, someone or something else would have. The hit looked 'OK' so I'm not going to complain about that.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I was pretty close to the hit when it happened, and the hands were definitely high. I don't know if the stick caught him or what.....The puck was there, so it wasn't interference. Blake just turned around and smacked him. Close call. It looked illegal to me, but I didn't get to see a replay as I was at the game.

Old
12-25-2003, 05:44 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He doesn't get called for penalties because the refs deem his hits illegal

ya......and we all know how good NHL reff'ing is.......

Old
12-25-2003, 06:31 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that was subject to debate. of course...avs fans thought it was clean...preds fans(myself included) saw blakes stick connect with AJ's forehead. at least he's finally on the verge of coming back...and it's not like we haven't been playing well without him
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the quick summary, doesn't sound that great, but also sounds like the premise of the hit was clean and blake's stick just got up by accident ?. so a little overexuberance from blake i suppose, i'd have to see the hit to make a real comment on it..

Old
12-25-2003, 06:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
Quote:

thanks for the quick summary, doesn't sound that great, but also sounds like the premise of the hit was clean and blake's stick just got up by accident ?. so a little overexuberance from blake i suppose, i'd have to see the hit to make a real comment on it..

what happened, exactly...tootoo lays a hit on sakic...one of his trademark, no one really sees it coming hits and sakic gets crushed against the boards and goes down, a bit slow to get up. moore immediately goes after tootoo, but can't catch up immediately, and when he does a penalty is called. around that time...legwand, johansson and blake are in the corner...blake lashes out to smash legwand...who sees it coming and spins out of the way in time. IMMEDIATELY, blake turns toward johansson, and cross checks him in the face, catching him completely off guard. he goes down, and doesn't move for about 5 minutes. it was pretty clearly a retaliatory thing, which i guess i understand..it just sucks that the preds lose their top scorer in the process.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:40 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Don't be so sure. He has absolutely rocked guys like Klesla (multiple), Martinek, Poapst, Fischer...the list goes on and on and on. He hasn't received a charging penalty (or a roughing for that matter). He doesn't get called for penalties because the refs deem his hits illegal; he gets charged for penalties because of extracurricular activities.

These illegal hits that so many of his detractors have complained about have not been called. In fact, the NHL has gone so far as to say the hits are legal. Sounds like sour grapes from some fans of teams he punished.
Im still waiting to see a Tootoo check that isnt a charge (ie, where he doesnt leave his feet.) Just because he doesnt get called, doesnt mean its really a clean hit.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63
Im still waiting to see a Tootoo check that isnt a charge (ie, where he doesnt leave his feet.) Just because he doesnt get called, doesnt mean its really a clean hit.

Old
12-26-2003, 01:01 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Thats your rebuttal?

Anyway, as someone said, I am glad that there is finally someone out there who is making an effort to bring hitting back to the game. I just think that they need to start calling it when he makes an illegal hit.

Old
12-26-2003, 01:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63
Thats your rebuttal?

Anyway, as someone said, I am glad that there is finally someone out there who is making an effort to bring hitting back to the game. I just think that they need to start calling it when he makes an illegal hit.
it's as much rebuttal as i think it deserves. i've seen...maybe one or two hits from tootoo this year that i, objectively, thought were even questionable. most of the hits were, like the martinek hit, legal...but don't appear so at first glance because he hits so hard that he leaves his feet AFTER the hit, carried by his momentum. i just don't think it's an accurate statement, or even close.

Old
12-26-2003, 02:06 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
what happened, exactly...tootoo lays a hit on sakic...one of his trademark, no one really sees it coming hits and sakic gets crushed against the boards and goes down, a bit slow to get up. moore immediately goes after tootoo, but can't catch up immediately, and when he does a penalty is called. around that time...legwand, johansson and blake are in the corner...blake lashes out to smash legwand...who sees it coming and spins out of the way in time. IMMEDIATELY, blake turns toward johansson, and cross checks him in the face, catching him completely off guard. he goes down, and doesn't move for about 5 minutes. it was pretty clearly a retaliatory thing, which i guess i understand..it just sucks that the preds lose their top scorer in the process.

ahh.. ok that is a much better explanation. agreed, on one hand don't retaliate like a ***** and cross check, but on the other hand, retaliation is expected..

lovely game eh? :p

Old
12-26-2003, 02:40 PM
smashviller

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
ya......and we all know how good NHL reff'ing is.......
psshh..yeah, really.

Closed Thread