HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Hockey (Oilers franchise)

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
ESPN Hockey (Oilers franchise)

Hey there folks. For the last while, I've been playing ESPN Hockey, a video game (Playstation 2), quite a lot of fun. I'm sure a bunch of you here already have it.

Anyhow, I've been doing an Oilers franchise, and I'm just in the later parts of Season #2 (I should have it done tommorrow or the next day). Anyways, the trades that I've made (and have been offered) have been interesting to say the least. I thought I'd post a breif summary of Year 1 of my Oilers Franchise - who knows, some of you may be interested

Note - I actually played about 5 - 10 of these games. The vast majority I simulated, and made changes throughout the season accordingly. Also, guys like Adam Oates and Jeff Woywitka were aquired at the start of the season (immediatly starting my franchise in fact), but I am stuck with only 1 through 9 picks, no Philidelphia 1st rounder and such.

Year 1

Final Record: 82 Games, 33 wins, 39 losses, 7 ties, 3 OTL's
Puts me in 13th in the Conference, 25th in the league. Obviously I didn't make the playoffs

Trades throughout the season:

November 14th - To Philidelphia: Brad Isbister - To Edmonton: Jim Vandemeer

Izzy was doing nada for me. Vandemeer represented the easiest way for me to get Semenov out of my lineup, who was a brutal -15

December 19th - To Phoenix: Alexei Semenov - To Edmonton: Zac Bierk

Stuck with 3 goaltenders, but Bierk is young and Salo was also sucking for me big time. Through mid December, I was 6 games under .500 - so even worse than the real life situation

December 20th - To Boston: Tommy Salo & Jason Chimera- To Edmonton: 2nd round pick

Boston actually offered me Ian Moran and a 3rd for Chimera and Salo, but I decided to get a little greedy, and it actually paid off

January 3rd - To New Jersey: Scott Ferguson - To Edmonton: S. Clemmensen

Clemmensen is merely a AHL goaltender, but it gave me some more depth in goal (all I have is Bierk, Conklin, and Deslauriers who is way off). Plus I got rid of Ferguson (ie: Mr. Deadweight).

March 12th - To New York Rangers: Jason Smith - To Edmonton: Jamie Lundmark

Prooving it's just a video game, the Rangers were heading into the playoffs and needed a rent-a-player. They originally asked for Staios, but screw that. I gave Smith to 'em (who was making too much for me anyways) and received Lundmark in return. Could potentially kill my defense next year, but I'm hoping my former Flyers duo, Vandemeer and Woywitka, pick up the slack. Pray for me, I'm gonna need it! heh heh. Also note, I made Smyth captain in Smith's stead

Top 5 Scorers:

Adam Oates - 82 GP, 18 goals, 73 assists, 91 points
Mike York - 80 GP, 27 goals, 38 assists, 65 points
Ales Hemsky - 74 GP, 11 goals, 46 assists, 60 points
Radek Dvorak - 82 GP, 34 goals, 24 assists, 54 points
Ryan Smith - 51 GP, 19 goals, 38 assists, 48 points

(Oates was 3rd in the LEAGUE in points, but it didn't help me much as I was still way out of the playoffs.)

I'll update this thread if people show any interest in it later on over the hollidays. Have a good one, boys and girls.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Oiltalk

Must be quite a bit different than NHL 2004. Only have the prospects that they think are most likely to crack the Oilers lineup in that year, like Stoll, and Rita. No Deslauriers or anything. :mad:

Dynasty mode is pretty cool though. I traded many of my veterans for the future. All my draft picks were used for young guys that already had a season or so under their belt, but had very lowe value at the time.

Lineup:
Smyth-Comrie-Dvorak
Torres-York-Shvidki(Traded Isbister for him)
Moreau-Reasoner-Rita
Chistov(Laraque and 2nd)-Spezza(1st round pic)-Hemsky

Brewer-Tverdovsky(Free Agent signing)
Smith-Semenov
Bergeron-Exelby

Smyth is overachieving with 75 goals and 23 assists in 69 games so far Think I may be getting to good for the game.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Dangerdanger

well, I have definitely made a few more trades on my nhl2004 lineup
A few signings too

Smyth - Legwand - Dvorak
Isbister - Marleau - Hemsky
Moreau - Reasoner - Rita
Torres - Horcoff Laraque

Stuart - Tverdosky
Mironov - Semenov
Rachunek - Staios

I Like my top two lines though, thats for sure.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:51 PM
streetballer03

P.S. EA's game is better than ESPN's game. WAY better Francise mode. go play that and then get back to me

Old
12-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
EA sucks eggs

Old
12-22-2003, 07:59 PM
zamboni

Quote:
P.S. EA's game is better than ESPN's game. WAY better Francise mode. go play that and then get back to me
We're talking about video games here. Please get a life and don't take them so seriously. Plus, people can play whatever the heck they want.

My Oiler franchise in ENH has pretty much the same lineup. I traded Laraque, however, along with Chimera to Boston for Hilbert and a 3rd. Horcoff gone to Nashville for a pick.

I recalled Wright one game to give him a chance, and he recorded 1 G and 1A against the Wild. He followed with 2 more 2 pt games, for 6 pts in 3 games. For the short time being, I'm running the following:

Smyth - Oates - Dvorak (veteran line leads the way offensivly)
Isbister - York - Wright (with Wrights solid play of late he's earned it)
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani (rock solid defensivly.)
Torres - Stoll - Hemsky (the last couple games, Hemmer has swooping from behind the net, pass out infront to Stoll for the tip in)

I roll 4 lines, BTW.

Semenov - Brewer (an excellent pairing for me)
Smith - Ulanov (who impressed, so he's staying with the Oilers for now)
Staios - Cross (Cross is a plus 11, leading the Oilers)

Salo
Conklin

I'm contemplating trading Rita and something to WAS for Oullette. I intend to dump Salo at season's end (I'll keep him if the team makes the playoffs)...

The thing I hate about 2k4 is that All-Star is just so hard for me to score, so I'm playing on Pro.

Last edited by zamboni: 12-22-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old
12-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
EA sucks eggs
I haven't played the ESPN version yet, but I have EA's on my comp, and I'd have to say, I'm not very impressed. The franhcise mode is not very realistic. Maybe EA should team up with Eastside Hockey Manager for their next game. As much as I like to play actual games, I find myself playing Eastside a lot more than NHL 2004.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Mizral

Most of the prospects I've made. Deslauriers is in the game, but I had to make him Same goes for Pouliot, Niinimaki, etc...

Old
12-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Most of the prospects I've made. Deslauriers is in the game, but I had to make him Same goes for Pouliot, Niinimaki, etc...
Here I thought I was getting ripped off.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:38 PM
OilerMania83

I'm 20 and 4 in my second season with the Oilers in NHL 2004. I won the cup the first season ( I was 4th in the west) and at about the 20 game mark of my season changed the difficulty from Meduim to ...I forget what it's called...the next level...

My lines are...
Kovalchuk-Smyth-Heatley
(Aquired Heatley and Kovalchuk in the off season for Modano and Isbister and a second. I aquired Modano by trading Comrie and my first for him. Looking back I could have gotten Modano cheaper...)

Dvorak-York-Hemsky

Frolov-Datsyuk-Chistov
(Awesome line...aquired Frolov and Chistov using draft picks and expendable players. Got Datsyuk and Legace for Reasoner and Salo)

Torres-Nash-Rita
(Got Nash for a third or something)

Defense is...
Brewer-Semenov (Semmy is plus 39!)
Bergeron-Smith
Staios-Cross

In goal...

Legace
Conklin

I've put lots of points into potential, because my team is filled with young soon to be superstars. I think I'm gonna sign all my RFA's to 2 million a year for 8 years contracts...

In goal...
Legace

Old
12-22-2003, 10:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

In NHL 2004 LMHF#1 is currently running with.....

Kovalchuk-Heatley-Modin (I tried and tried and tried to get Gabs for IK)
Hossa-Comrie-Hemsky (1b)
Hilbert-Connolly-Datsyuk (Andy Hilbert is a better player in 2004 than real life)
Nash-Spezza-Abid (for some reason Nash isn't that good in 2004)

Papineau

Chara-Kaberle
Niinimaa-Kubina
Klesla-Bergeron

Semenov

Garon
DiPietro

I am actually playing the games, so of course my record and stats are ridiculously good. I'm making money as well. I tried the simming process and really don't like the results, there are also some changes made to the game this year that make it much harder to track your team when simming. I'll stick to EHM, and maybe the new EHM-FE or whatever it's gonna be called when it is released.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 12-22-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old
12-22-2003, 11:04 PM
OilerMania83

How'd you aquire all those guys, #1?

Old
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83
How'd you aquire all those guys, #1?
Way too many trades.

Didn't use the ladder approach (unrealistic and goofy), but let alot of picks go.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Way too many trades.

Didn't use the ladder approach (unrealistic and goofy), but let alot of picks go.
You're trades are unrealistic and goofy as is

The way I do my trades is that I put my franchise difficulty all the way up, and I only make trades if a fan from the team I'd be making trades with OK's it. How do I talk to said fan? Usually through contacts on HF boards, actually. I just PM somebody and ask them if it's a reasonable move. If they think it's reasonable, and I think it's reasonable, I give it a shot.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Yanner39

Quote:

The way I do my trades is that I put my franchise difficulty all the way up, and I only make trades if a fan from the team I'd be making trades with OK's it. How do I talk to said fan? Usually through contacts on HF boards, actually. I just PM somebody and ask them if it's a reasonable move. If they think it's reasonable, and I think it's reasonable, I give it a shot.
Miz, did you "create" Woywitka? I didn't think he'd already be there.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:49 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

I don't think I'd make any of the trades you did, I'm not sure about player ratings in 2k4, but none of those deals improve your team that I can see.

Old
12-23-2003, 02:25 PM
nineteen79

You can sighn oiler prospects in ea's version you just have to sighn them to your team before you begin the season.For example I sighned Ninnimaki,Louma,Almtrop,Umiceviec.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Miz, did you "create" Woywitka? I didn't think he'd already be there.
A weekend, about 2 months ago, my cousin was at my old place and we were creating prospects for about 12 hours straight (well, we took turns, and we were also screwing around playing some computer game he's trying to hook me on to [It's called Warcraft 3, not bad actually, looks better than the other two]). We made about 100 or more. I must say, they are all pretty well accuratly represented. Some aren't quite 'touched up' to reflect their play so far this season (for instance, Marc-Andre Fleury I believe is worse than Tommy Salo in my game), but it's all pretty close.

Woywitka was created (was a 74 overall starting out) by myself, yep.

Anyways,

Year 2

I'm only 41 games in.

19 - 19 - 3 - 0 for 41 points and 9th in the conference, 1 point out of a playoff spot. Goals against is just murdering me so far, which has been the death of me so far. Bierk is doing 'okay', not as good as I hoped. I also drafted a goaltender (with the 3rd overall pick, I might add) who is a very high overall guy. I think he could potentially be a Luongo-like stopper. He's only 19, but I'm forcing him into backup duty. 6 games into the season, he's 3 - 3 - 0 - 0.

I have made a couple transactions so far. Before the season even began, I made one pretty big trade. I moved Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers and Shawn Horcoff for Brian Sutherby and Matt Pettinger. The trade has paid HUGE dividends, as Pettinger has become my 2nd line left winger and is on a pretty good run of things. While only a 74 overall in my game, he has 10 goals, 16 points, but is a +13 and has been a wrecking ball out there most nights. He's my answer to the Darcy Tuckers and Matt Cookes out there. Sutherby was a huge dissapointment through the first 20 games, but he is now coming around. He scored his first goal on the 22nd game of the season!! However, now he has 9 goals, 19 points, and is a +6, and is hitting the lights out. He's on a big tear for me, with 4 goals and 4 points in his last 6 games. My hottest player at the moment.

I also bought out Cory Cross and signed Scott Lachance as a free agent. Lachance represents two things Cross does not: A) A right handed shot, and B) A better skater.

Currently my lines are as follows:

Smyth/York/Dvorak
Pettinger/Lundmark/Hemsky
Niinimaki/Sutherby/Laraque
Torres/Stoll/Pisani

Brewer/Lachance
Woywitka/Staios
Vandermeer/Bergeron

Bierk
Toppazzini (my future franchise 'tender)

My top 5 points getters are pretty surprising:

Lundmark - 5 goals, 30 points
Hemsky - 11 goals, 30 points
York - 12 goals, 29 points
Smyth - 6 goals, 24 points
Sutherby - 9 goals, 19 points

My top 3 scoring D are:

Brewer - 7 goals, 14 points
Woywitka - 5 goals, 11 points
Lachance - 6 goals, 11 points

As you can see, where my forwards lack scoring, my D has been impressing with it big-time. I don't expect it to keep up though.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Mizral

Ending out my 2nd year, I must say it was a stunning success.

First off, I ended 5th in the conference, and played St.Louis in the first round. I ended up beating them in 6 games. Then I faced Los Angelas in the 2nd round, beat 'em in 7 games. I then lost to the Dallas Stars (ARG) in 5 games in the conference finals. Perhaps the most annoying part of that was that the Stars went on to face the Tampa Bay lightning and beat 'em in 4 straight.

Oh well, the off season was fun.

Smyth was going to be a free agent and be damned if I was going to pay him what he wanted after being one of the top scorers in the playoffs. I moved him and a 3rd round pick for San Jose's 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. This was the 1st overall pick in the draft! Mind you, it wasn't a stunning draft class, I still got a real good player. 'Derek Fortin', an 84 overall, 19 year old centreman. 6'3, 195. Boy the Oilers in real life could use something like that. I'd say he plays a lot like a Vincent Lecavalier so far. I'm only 4 games into the season next.

I also make a couple other trades. First, I moved Radek Dvorak (who I was really unhappy with) for Jamie Langenbrunner to the Devils. Langenbrunner scored 16 goals for the Devils the year previous so I guess they wanted to get rid of him too. Oh well, their loss is my gain. I also moved quite a few assets and picked up Scott Hartnell of Nashville. I moved my 1st round pick and Jesse Niinimaki (off his okay rookie season) for Hartnell. In a way it was kind of an overpayment since Hartnell hadn't done much previously, but I wanted Hartnell.

My lines ended up looking like this:

York/Fortin/Hemsky (Rookie centering my first line. Dunno how long that'll last)
Hartnell/Sutherby/Langenbrunner (I frickin' love this line)
Pettinger/Poiliot/Lundmark
Moreau/Stoll/Laraque

Brewer/Lachance
Woywitka/Staios
Vandemeer/Bergeron

Bierk
Toppalizino

I have no 1st round picks next year, and I also lost a prospect from a year ago (one of my best ones) to free agency. Bah humbug.

Also, that lineup may look super young, but also remember there's 2 extra years to all those players compared to real life. So Hemsky isn't really 21, he's 23. York is 29, etc..

Old
12-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

If you have can get online with ESPN, you can DL a roster patch with some player movement and some rookies. I believe the rosters are circa November, and I think MA Fleury is in the game. I don't know if PS2 users can DL the patch, but I know Xbox users can.

Closed Thread