HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getzlaf was next on Habs' list...

Old
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Garo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
too many times, habs organisation choose skilled european over gritty and workin' north american... don't the team know that north american are the most proud and passionate about the game!?!?
If I remember correctly, the biggest knock on Getzlaf at the time was his desire.

And I won't even bother with the other part of this post.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
What's all the hype with for Carter..
He's a speedy six foot three forward who is incredibly smart, and has a sick wrist shot. He can also suprise you by throwing a heavy hit.
Quote:
He's been getting first minutes and not producing more than a 2nd/3rd liner.
Carter had a bad streak of luck the last couple of years that slowed his development. Before Carter even stepped into the NHL, he came down with a serious case of mono that cost him a ton of muscle. Once the season started, he was a step behind where he should have been in terms of physical development. This year, he broke his leg just a month into the season. It sidelined him for twenty games and put him back another step.
Quote:
Yes he's young, but Carter is not even in the same league as Parise or Getzlaf.
Not right now. He's too inconsistent because of all the setbacks. If he has a freak injury/illness free season, next year, Carter will do what Parise and Getzlaf did this year.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Fozz

You know, it could've been worst... What if we had drafted Hugh Jessiman?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
I'm happy with Kostitsyn and always have been. The Canadiens took a little riskier choice with potentially huge payoffs.

It certainly seems as though he will turn out to be a good one.
I don't know for you, but I feel Carter and Getzlaf will both bring a huge payoff.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I don't know for you, but I feel Carter and Getzlaf will both bring a huge payoff.
Getzlaf is having a great playoff. His production this year has been similar to Michael Ryder's. It will be interesting to see how much further he'll go till he tops off.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Difference though, but we still have to wait to really know, chances are Getzlaf becomes a real dominant player while Kosty Jr. becomes a good filler, but not as dominant and important than Getzlaf will ever be. Not that it's that bad, but we might have the best team as far as 3rd line prospects are going.

Anaheim is mainly where they are right now because of their 2003 draft with Perry and Getzlaf. We need homeruns, we have enough doubles. Though you can score with doubles, it takes much longer.....

Having said that, let's move on, I've cried enough over that 1st round, time to talk about something else....And seriously, what's the point of knowing who's next? What would their development be in other teams. Would Getlaf be as dominant? Would the team that would've picked Kostitsyn be able to make him crossover sooner and play in the CHL making his development go faster?
Waffledave pointed this out some time ago, and man is this true.

That's why I can't blame Savard for trying to hit a homerun... Add to this that we had the whole « big canuck centre with grit » obsession duing the nineties and the only valuable centre we got during this decade was... koivu, a small, skilled european centre lol.

So wasn't that sad to see Savard try to hit the jackpot with Kostitsyn at the time. Now it hasn't panned out, but hell, it's tough to guess how a player will developp when he's 17 or 18.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
GNick42

Missing out on any of those three definitely is painful. Let's not make the same mistake again and put a lot of stock in U18 tourny. Many were better than Kostitsyn in '03. He should have been a late round pick. Timmins really bombed on '03 draft

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Man, Timmins sure screwed up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Man, Timmins sure screwed up.
Well it definately turned out to be a crucial year for tons of teams. We'll see how as a whole, Kosty, Lapierre, O'Byrne and Halak will sound like in a couple of years.

But still I do believe, it wasn't the time to try to go for the fences, there were so many safe but still great prospects out there.....If you have to go for the fences, this year might be a good one...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
SpreeEndaz

Guys, you have to remember that players don't develop themselves on their own; maybe Getzlaf would have been a bust in our system and Perezhogin a scoring leader in Colorado. Montreal isn't very good at developing forwards and only this year did we see a sign of change when Carbo gave Plekanec, Higgins and so on the icetime they need.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
That's why I can't blame Savard for trying to hit a homerun... Add to this that we had the whole « big canuck centre with grit » obsession duing the nineties and the only valuable centre we got during this decade was... koivu, a small, skilled european centre lol.

So wasn't that sad to see Savard try to hit the jackpot with Kostitsyn at the time. Now it hasn't panned out, but hell, it's tough to guess how a player will developp when he's 17 or 18.
exactly my thinking...

Getzlaf would probably not have had the same development with us. Would have sticked in the AHL a year or two... played on the 4th line for a year... and everybody would be saying that he is a bust.

I don't regret the pick of Kostitsyn because it's impossible to know if Getzlaf or Carter would have developped as nicely with us.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Some day someone out there is going to wish that their team picked Andrei Kostitsyn.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
exactly my thinking...

Getzlaf would probably not have had the same development with us. Would have sticked in the AHL a year or two... played on the 4th line for a year... and everybody would be saying that he is a bust.

I don't regret the pick of Kostitsyn because it's impossible to know if Getzlaf or Carter would have developped as nicely with us.
I don't think so. Not with his size, skill and speed. This is all hindsight, but it's hard to believe all those teams passed on this guy. The knock on him was work ethic and hockey sense at the time if I remember correctly. I don't see any of those problems now.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I don't think so. Not with his size, skill and speed. This is all hindsight, but it's hard to believe all those teams passed on this guy. The knock on him was work ethic and hockey sense at the time if I remember correctly. I don't see any of those problems now.
So if it comes to that, and not saying he's my favorite choice, people will have to remember this if Timmins selects Esposito next June. The exact same thing can be said about him, though work ethic doesn't seem a real problem.

But also, Getzlaf went from a 75 point-season to a 54 point-season the year after he was drafted so what happened to Esposito is not necessarily dramatic.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So if it comes to that, and not saying he's my favorite choice, people will have to remember this if Timmins selects Esposito next June. The exact same thing can be said about him, though work ethic doesn't seem a real problem.

But also, Getzlaf went from a 75 point-season to a 54 point-season the year after he was drafted so what happened to Esposito is not necessarily dramatic.
People do a lot of maturing in those years and they grow physically too, so it's not a surprise. And once you know you're headed to the NHL, you must turn on the afterburners.

Esposito seems like the logical pick if he falls to us.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Some day someone out there is going to wish that their team picked Andrei Kostitsyn.
Look, I'm really high on Kostitsyn too but Getzlaf will be a fantastic player for years to come. He's already one of the better forwards for his team, and he hasn't even tapped his potential.

This guy's going to be a 90 point player, perhaps as early as next year.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
And how would you know that?

Old
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Schooner Guy

Kostitsyn over Getzlaf isn't nearly as grave as Urquhart over Bergeron. You win some, you lose some. This was André Savard's draft (Gainey had just signed with the Habs and let Savard/Timmins run the draft).

I personally think the Timmins/Gainey tandem has been much more successful than Timmins/Savard. I think we're getting a better dose of character to go with talent than we were getting under Savard. The 2005 draft could be the best Habs draft in a generation and 2006 isn't too shabby either.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
And how would you know that?
Columbus already wishes that they would have taken just about anyone over Zherdev. Zherdev's been a total cancer and headache. Also, I'm not 100% sold on Atlanta's choice of Coburn. We'll see though.

Old
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

They passed over Bergeron even though Savard was a big francophile and knows how important it was for Montreal. The whole thing seems strange to me.

Old
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
They passed over Bergeron even though Savard was a big francophile and knows how important it was for Montreal. The whole thing seems strange to me.
Urquhart played for Montreal Rocket and had a big playoff. Savard watched these games and got duped.

Old
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Urquhart played for Montreal Rocket and had a big playoff. Savard watched these games and got duped.
That's like fate playing a joke on the Habs.

That's Evil!

Old
05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
NewHabsEra*

I still think Kostitsyn could turn to be the best of them... He is not only highly skilled but the kid can hit, protect the puck and play a N.A style of game..

He lost 1 year of development in Russia where he basically didnt play and his epilepsic probs could have hurt his development as well..

Next season should be more revelant but never forget that both Getzlaf and Parise have solid vets to play with, what cant be said about Habs prospects at this point..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Look, I'm really high on Kostitsyn too but Getzlaf will be a fantastic player for years to come. He's already one of the better forwards for his team, and he hasn't even tapped his potential.

This guy's going to be a 90 point player, perhaps as early as next year.
So was Kostitsyn in his last call up, he was our most dominant foward before his groin injury..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
CN_paladin

Isn't Kostityn more of a passer than a goal-scorer? The habs have been lacking goal-scorers for years... But let's surround him with decent players and give him a couple of years to develop. Only time will tell.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote