HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

NHL players of Yugoslavian descent

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2009, 12:27 AM
  #1
crobro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
NHL players of Yugoslavian descent

Joe Sakic

Frank Mahovlic

Peter Mahovlic

John Kordic

Willie Mitchell

Cory Sarich

Any More?

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
  #2
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 1240
from wiki..
Hockey

* Frank Mahovlich - NHL Hall of Famer (1958 Calder Trophy Winner)
* Peter Mahovlich - Fmr. NHL player, nr. 2 in 1963 NHL Amateur Draft
* Joe Sakic - NHL player (2001 Hart Memorial Trophy Winner)
* John Kordic - Fmr. NHL player
* Dan Kordic - Fmr. NHL player
* Mark Pavelich - Fmr. NHL player (Miracle on Ice)
* Matt Pavelich - first NHL linesman inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame
* Marty Pavelich - Fmr. NHL player
* Cory Sarich - NHL player
* Adrien Plavsic - ([Serb] father, [Croat] mother) Fmr. NHL player
* Tony Hrkac - Fmr. NHL player
* Joel Prpic - Hockey player (brief appearance in the NHL)
* Rob Valicevic - NHL player
* David Spanjol - WPHA play


Last edited by Booyakasha: 08-10-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add
Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
  #3
crobro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
awesome thanks

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:13 AM
  #4
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 50
How about Phil Oreskovic?

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
  #5
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,082
vCash: 500
Goran Bezina was born in Croatia

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
  #6
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
I heard Vlasic was part Croatian.

I always thought Jovanovski was Macedonian, but apparently he considers himself Croatian, or at least part Croatian (I know someone who used to baby-sit his kids when he played in Vancouver).


Last edited by RTN: 11-09-2009 at 12:51 PM.
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
  #7
1927
Maj. Conn Smythe
 
1927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brock, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
How about Phil Oreskovic?
Phil Oreskovic is half Croatian (father's side) and half English (mother's side). I know this because I personally asked him about his heritage and background.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 03:39 PM
  #8
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,176
vCash: 500
Dan Kesa and Milan Lucic are cousins, and both are the sons of immigrants.

My wife is a distant relative, and somewhere on her family tree there is a Sarac (Sarich) family as well.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
  #9
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
I heard Vlasic was part Croatian.

I always thought Jovanovski was Macedonian, but apparently he considers himself Croatian, or at least part Croatian (I know someone who used to baby-sit his kids when he played in Vancouver).
This is 100% false because I played hockey and went to school with a number of his cousins (He is from the windsor area) and he is Serbian.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
  #10
crobro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
vlasic is croatian and jovonovski is macedonian.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
  #11
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
This is 100% false because I played hockey and went to school with a number of his cousins (He is from the windsor area) and he is Serbian.
It is possible that his cousins are Serbian and he is not. I am Croatian, but have Serbian cousins (my first cousins are even half-Serbian).

Again, I always thought he was Macedonian or even Serbian, but a family friend of mine who used to babysit his kids said that Ed himself considered himself at least part Croatian (I think she said on his mother's side, but not sure). He could be a mix of Macedonian, Croatian, and Serbian for all I know. I'm just passing on what I heard; never met him personally.

As for Dragan Kesa, wikipedia says he's actually Lucic's uncle.


Last edited by RTN: 11-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:55 PM
  #12
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
It is possible that his cousins are Serbian and he is not. I am Croatian, but have Serbian cousins (my first cousins are even half-Serbian).

Again, I always thought he was Macedonian or even Serbian, but a family friend of mine who used to babysit his kids said that Ed himself considered himself at least part Croatian (I think she said on his mother's side, but not sure). He could be a mix of Macedonian, Croatian, and Serbian for all I know. I'm just passing on what I heard; never met him personally.

As for Dragan Kesa, wikipedia says he's actually Lucic's uncle.
Vlasic is definitely of Croatian descent.

However, Ed Jovanovski has nothing to with Croatia. Milan Lucic is Serbian, something I can tell you as a fact even from personal knowledge. What are some other Serbian NHLers? I guess there is Milan Lucic, Sasha Lakovic, Stan Smrke, Ivan Boldirev, Branko Radivojevic, Mike Glumac, Dan Kesa, Mark Popovic, Peter Zezel. There is probably more but I cannot think of them at the moment.

I was also wondering if there are any other players from the former Yugoslavia. I am pretty sure Matt Stajan is Slovenian.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
  #13
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
How about Mark Fistric, Mark Popovic, Alex Petrovic (2010 eligible), and Luke Gazdic. To be honest I don't know the difference between Serbian and Croatian.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
  #14
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How about Mark Fistric, Mark Popovic, Alex Petrovic (2010 eligible), and Luke Gazdic. To be honest I don't know the difference between Serbian and Croatian.
Mark Popovic - Serbian (mentionned him in the previous post)
Alex Petrovic - Serbian
Luke Gazdic - Croatian
Mark Fistric - Croatian

To this list we can add Phil Oreskovic who is also Serbian.

There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames, but sometimes it is very hard to differentiate as a few Croats lived or still live on the territory of Serbia while several hundreds of thousands of Serbs lived on the territory of Croatia, and some still do. Therefore, there has been a lot of ethnic mixing between the two peoples and we have had examples of a proud Croatian such as Drazen Petrovic (former NBA Legend) wearing a typically Serbian surname (Petrovic) yet being or considering himself of Croatian ethniciy. Similarly, there is a football/soccer player called Antonio Rukavina on the Serbian national team, while this is a typically Croatian surname (and given name as well). There is a player called Ante Rukavina on the Croatian national team. So, as you can see, the differences are distinct but because of the mixing, it is often very hard to say. The vast majority of surnames will either be Croatian or Serbian, but some of them can be used for both.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:40 PM
  #15
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
Vlasic is definitely of Croatian descent.

However, Ed Jovanovski has nothing to with Croatia. Milan Lucic is Serbian, something I can tell you as a fact even from personal knowledge. What are some other Serbian NHLers? I guess there is Milan Lucic, Sasha Lakovic, Stan Smrke, Ivan Boldirev, Branko Radivojevic, Mike Glumac, Dan Kesa, Mark Popovic, Peter Zezel. There is probably more but I cannot think of them at the moment.

I was also wondering if there are any other players from the former Yugoslavia. I am pretty sure Matt Stajan is Slovenian.
Wikipedia and other sources say Stajan is Slovenian, though I remember an interview a fews years ago where Stajan's mother said he was Croatian. I'll try and find out if his mother is Slovenian or just the father.

Other Slovenians include Anze Kopitar, Wade Belak, Bill Hajt, Chris Hajt, John Jakopin, Ed Kastelic, Greg Kuznik, Dean Malkoc, Stan Smrke, and Randy Velischek.

I think Stamkos is Macedonian.

Also, he has yet to play in the NHL, but St. Louis prospect Nicholas Drazenovic is Croatian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
Mark Popovic - Serbian (mentionned him in the previous post)
Alex Petrovic - Serbian
Luke Gazdic - Croatian
Mark Fistric - Croatian

To this list we can add Phil Oreskovic who is also Serbian.

There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames, but sometimes it is very hard to differentiate as a few Croats lived or still live on the territory of Serbia while several hundreds of thousands of Serbs lived on the territory of Croatia, and some still do. Therefore, there has been a lot of ethnic mixing between the two peoples and we have had examples of a proud Croatian such as Drazen Petrovic (former NBA Legend) wearing a typically Serbian surname (Petrovic) yet being or considering himself of Croatian ethniciy. Similarly, there is a football/soccer player called Antonio Rukavina on the Serbian national team, while this is a typically Croatian surname (and given name as well). There is a player called Ante Rukavina on the Croatian national team. So, as you can see, the differences are distinct but because of the mixing, it is often very hard to say. The vast majority of surnames will either be Croatian or Serbian, but some of them can be used for both.
I had heard Fistric was Serbian, but you may very well be right.

Yes, the line between Croatian and Serbian is often more blurred than many would like to admit. Many people have both Croatian and Serbian relatives or where born in the other country. For example, Dado Prso (Croatian national soccer player) and Nikola Tesla are/were both ethnically Serbian, but were both born in Croatia, so they identify with both groups. Also, by tradition (in many places) a slavic child usually takes the ethnicity of the father, even if the mother is something different.


Last edited by RTN: 12-22-2009 at 06:03 PM.
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:05 AM
  #16
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames
Hm... It's not that simple anymore.

Maybe between people living abroad for dozens of years, but here, it's gotten so mixed up you can't really tell people by their last names anymore.

Yes, some surnames are Serbian and some are Croatian.
But it's not a guarantee it's not a Serbian with a Croatian name or vice-versa after all the mixing.

The other thing is the apparent hate for each other both Serbs and Croatians living abroad have for each other, when here, smack dead middle of where the was actually was, normal people (read: non-right wing, militant idiots with an intelligence of a squished mellon) hang out with each other and generally don't give a crap who's Serbian and who's Croatian.

Anyway...
The best thing to happen to Croatian hockey is the EBEL League, the building is packed every game, it's a genuine pleasure to go to the games, there's a lot of Canadians of Croatian descent playing (and some former NHLers, like Joel Prpic.... Jeff Hereema is also here), and I had the pleasure of being there when Aaron Fox scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HoOyDge8k4

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:03 AM
  #17
CuteHockeyBunny
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
To be honest I don't know the difference between Serbian and Croatian.
There isn't any, genetically speaking. They're mostly (99%) segregated by religion and 1% by name.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:48 PM
  #18
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Hm... It's not that simple anymore.

Maybe between people living abroad for dozens of years, but here, it's gotten so mixed up you can't really tell people by their last names anymore.

Yes, some surnames are Serbian and some are Croatian.
But it's not a guarantee it's not a Serbian with a Croatian name or vice-versa after all the mixing.

The other thing is the apparent hate for each other both Serbs and Croatians living abroad have for each other, when here, smack dead middle of where the was actually was, normal people (read: non-right wing, militant idiots with an intelligence of a squished mellon) hang out with each other and generally don't give a crap who's Serbian and who's Croatian.

Anyway...
The best thing to happen to Croatian hockey is the EBEL League, the building is packed every game, it's a genuine pleasure to go to the games, there's a lot of Canadians of Croatian descent playing (and some former NHLers, like Joel Prpic.... Jeff Hereema is also here), and I had the pleasure of being there when Aaron Fox scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HoOyDge8k4
I heard Medveščak get 5 to 6 thousand a night, which is really amazing since I think there are only 3 senior teams left in the entire country. News stations are also showing small clips on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
There isn't any, genetically speaking. They're mostly (99%) segregated by religion and 1% by name.
That's not completely true. For example, in Dalmacija there are a lot of people with Italian/Venetian/Illyrian blood, where as I don't think too many Venetians made the trek to Serbia two hundred years ago. It really depends on the region. Nationalism as we know it today is still a fairly new concept.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
  #19
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
How about Travis Hamonic?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:47 AM
  #20
hadzija
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
According to wikipedia there was a Croat who played in the league in season 03-04. Does anybody know who played and were?



It is stupid to discuss about the difference between Croats and Serbs. It is the same with Americans, Canadians, Australians etc. Which nationality is Ryan Getzlaf or Sean Crosby?
For a French guy who doesn’t know who they are they could easily be any national in English spoken countries.

hadzija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
  #21
TheOriginalTiger
GOON
 
TheOriginalTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lerin MKD
Country: Canada
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
For those who doubt Ed Jovo as a Macedonian(BTW both parents are MKD)

http://www.omnitv.ca/ontario/tv/docs...s/latebloomer/

http://www.omni1.ca/ontario/tv/docs/...y/photo-4.html


http://www.youtube.com/user/grkomank.../2/udZ6iBhmtMk

TheOriginalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
  #22
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
Stamkos - Sakic - Lucic

Radivojevic - Kopitar - Stajan

Belak - Mursak - Urbas

Razingar - Rodman - Rodman





Jovanovski - Sarich

Mitchell - Vlasic

Bezina - Oreskovic

Popovic - Fistric

Hamonic - Gregorc




Team Yugoslavia.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  #23
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Stamkos - Sakic - Lucic

Radivojevic - Kopitar - Stajan

Belak - Mursak - Urbas

Razingar - Rodman - Rodman





Jovanovski - Sarich

Mitchell - Vlasic

Bezina - Oreskovic

Popovic - Fistric

Hamonic - Gregorc




Team Yugoslavia.
Stamkos is greek and you could add Luke Gazdic, and I think Mark Katic, and Zach Miscovic

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
  #24
TheOriginalTiger
GOON
 
TheOriginalTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lerin MKD
Country: Canada
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Stamkos is greek
Wrong, I have met the family at many Macedonian functions, far from being Greek, yes his grandparents are from Greece but ethnic Macedonians, lets see what family friend and hockey expert Bob Mackenzie has to say......


http://www.youtube.com/user/grkomank.../2/udZ6iBhmtMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGDTj1KfIM check @1:22

TheOriginalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:49 PM
  #25
HajdukSplit
Registered User
 
HajdukSplit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,709
vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadzija View Post
According to wikipedia there was a Croat who played in the league in season 03-04. Does anybody know who played and were?
I assume it is Goran Bezina, he was born in Split, Croatia but represents Switzerland in international hockey, in fact played in the 2006 Olympics and is in the squad for this years as well. He only played 2-3 games for the Coyotes, spent most of his time in the AHL before returning to the Swiss league

About Vlasic, thats the one I want to know as well, I know Vlasic is Croatian surname, but his first name makes it seem he isn't 100% (French mother, or not first generation)

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.