HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muckler to be fired?

Old
05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Murray and Alfredsson pretty much called Muckler out for being a joke of a GM at the deadline. But no there is no friction at all.
Link?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:10 PM
moz
Gute Post

I think he's referring to Murray's comments after Nashville got Forsberg, saying something along the lines of "Nashville management is showing the team they have a commitment to winning". As for the Alfie thing, I don't remember him saying anything but I recall several players were quoted saying what a great leader Roberts was. Unless OttawaGM is talking about other instances, I don't see how either of this indicate friction between Murray and Muckler or the team leaders and Muckler in any way whatsoever. OttawaGM saying they "pretty much" called Muckler out leads me to believe they actually did no such thing and you're just misinterpreting their comments and seeing what you want to see.

I look at it the opposite way, that Muckler was showing confidence in his own group, that they didn't need some infusion of veteran presence or leadership, they had it in the room already. With Roberts, Forsberg, Tkachuk, Guerin et al out of the playoffs and the Senators on the verge of a ECF sweep for their first ever SCF appearance, with Alfredsson, Phillips, Redden, Fisher, Spezza and Heatley (their leadership group) all being the 6 of the 7 best players (A-train is the other), I'd tend to lend to Muckler's judgment.

05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Murray and Alfredsson pretty much called Muckler out for being a joke of a GM at the deadline. But no there is no friction at all.

They said any GM serious about winning it all won't hem and haw over a few draft picks. They'll go out and get the pieces to help the team win. Alfredsson said that the GM making a move instills confidence in the team and shows that their GM thinks they have what it takes. Then Muckler goes out and gets Saprykin basically saying "Nope I don't think you have what it takes this year."
Yeah and how did that work out? I don't think anyone in the Sen organization was thinking at the deadline that we needed to remake the team.

Muckler both last year - Arnason - and this year Saprykin - thought that the team was strong enough to win. At leasty he had confidence in the team and was adding a depth player to the Mix. No rolling the dice (and paying big time) for a Tkachuk or Forsberg, or the ridiculous price Martin was apparently asking from Ottawa for Roberts.

Seriously Muckler swapped Kaigodorov for Comrie. The Guy is a freaking genious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6809916

According to Al, this is the case. For some reason, I just don't see it happening.
We could only be so lucky if Muck a duck goes. I have been calling for his firing all season long as have many others. hmmm perhaps a petition ... lol.

bsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
IranCondraAffair

You could just as easily say Muckler had so MUCH confidence he decided it would be unfair to the Sens opponents.

Murray was just afraid that he'd get bumped out early and have to go looking for work because Muckler left him out to dry like Polie did. In retrospect all is probably forgiven...but not forgotten. Alfie was just asked a leading question before the deadline...nothing to get bent out of shape about.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
You could just as easily say Muckler had so MUCH confidence he decided it would be unfair to the Sens opponents.

Murray was just afraid that he'd get bumped out early and have to go looking for work because Muckler left him out to dry like Polie did. In retrospect all is probably forgiven...but not forgotten. Alfie was just asked a leading question before the deadline...nothing to get bent out of shape about.
Well I tell you right now not a player on the team nor the coach or any assitant coaches is questioning in any way or in any fashion the team Muckler has brought to Ottawa. From top to bottom of the roster right now and since game 1 of the playoffs there can be no questioning that the team is awesome and nothing really could possibly have been done to make the team better. Even freaking Gerber is good becuase if for some reason Emery is injured the team is totally behind Gerber and can play their game without worry with him in nets.

Some of Muckler's moves have been kinda lucky. Some have been better than expected. But you are only lucky if you are good.

Old
05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
Well I tell you right now not a player on the team nor the coach or any assitant coaches is questioning in any way or in any fashion the team Muckler has brought to Ottawa. From top to bottom of the roster right now and since game 1 of the playoffs there can be no questioning that the team is awesome and nothing really could possibly have been done to make the team better. Even freaking Gerber is good becuase if for some reason Emery is injured the team is totally behind Gerber and can play their game without worry with him in nets.

Some of Muckler's moves have been kinda lucky. Some have been better than expected. But you are only lucky if you are good.
I think too many people think that Muck a duck is the only guy in the history of hockey who could ever do what he has done.

Old
05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Sens4Cup

Al Strachan's a complete idiot! I don't believe this garbage for a second. I mean what Murray wants to trade for someone and Muckler doesn't do it, so he gets fired? Yeah right. As if they'll dump their GM after getting to the Finals or winning the Stanley Cup. That would really show the players that the organization is loyal to its employees.

Murray was chosen by Muckler and while Murray may want more input in terms of trades and stuff, ultimately it's Muckler's decision. Muckler seems like a genius these days for only picking up Saprykin, and not giving up a 1st or any prospects to do so. His Comrie trade is easily the best trade of the year and signing Philchenkov for 6 million is gold.

I don't doubt that when Muckler retires Murray would take over as GM and possibly relinquish coaching duties, but I think that's a few years off at least and it won't happen because of a disagreement.

Al Strachan IIRC also said that Jokinen was on his way to Ottawa 15 months ago, and that Luongo's deal with Florida was finalized, so he's not so reliable.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsens View Post
I think too many people think that Muck a duck is the only guy in the history of hockey who could ever do what he has done.
He may become the only guy in Ottawas history to accomplish the dream for us fans.

Old
05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Well he did it. He gets credit. Muckler gets massive credit for what he DIDN'T DO. When the Sens struggled he did not freak out. When All the centres went down he went out and got Comrie for useless Kaigodorov. He did not hurt the Cap with the move. He got Saprykin at the deadline cheap and he has played a significant role in the playoffs.

And Muckler has shown an astute ability to play the Cap game to the Sens best advantage. How many GMs in the NHL have down that? Looking forward the Sens are in great shape. And they have the best team in the NHL playoffs right now.

Whether Muckler hired great staff to deal with the Cap or did it himself he has become a Cap Master. When the Sens were one of the teams worst hurt by the Cap with their many star players when the Cap began and the players needing contracts.

Old
05-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Sens Rule

Well I have to say it. The only guy who is as equally redeemed by the Sens playoff so far aside from Alfie is Muckler. Muckler even if we don't win the Cup has shown he has done a fantastic job. Murray almost as much but not as much as Mucks or the Captain.

Old
05-15-2007, 06:11 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Strachan invents almost as many rumors as Bruce Garrioch.

I remember when Strachan was telling the entire hockey world in 2003 that Mario Lemieux was going to trade himself to the Rangers for $30 million dollars, and put his ownership of the Penguins in trust. Lemieux would then sign a $15 million per year contract with the Rangers, and use the $30 million the Penguins got in the trade as well as the $15 million per year he would make with the Rangers in order to cure all of the Penguins financial worries. He would then reclaim ownership of the Penguins after retiring as a player (Strachan claimed after 5 seasons with New York).

Strachan claimed that he had sources close to Lemieux telling him that this was guaranteed to happen. He said that he has personally talked to Lemieux's friends, family members, and close business associates, and that they all claimed that this was guaranteed to happen.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
moz
Gute Post

I seriously cannot believe Sens fans are still trashing Muckler, when the team he has assembled is on the brink of the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in FRANCHISE HISTORY.

Alfredsson - he didn't trade him when the media and some fans were crying out for it, from game 5 of the Buffalo series last year to December of this year. He signed him a few years ago to probably the second best discount contract in the league next to Brodeur's.

Phillips + Volchenkov - subject of trade rumours early in the year. Volchenkov has been trade bait since he got here. Muckler held on to them, and signed them to great long-term contracts.

Redden - kept instead of Chara, had a very difficult year but has really picked up his play and proved in the NJ and Buffalo series that he is the kind we need for playoff success, not Chara.

McAmmond and Corvo - UFA acquisitions which took a little while to settle in but have played irreplaceable roles in this cup run.

Preissing - probably the most controversial decision, but he's playing great hockey. Is he worth more to us in this cup run than Havlat would have been? I wouldn't say so, but for 600k and the kind of numbers he's put up, he's certainly worth more than Pothier.

Gerber - Muckler is understandably still taking heat for this, but the signing of a #1 goalie challenged Emery to become the goalie he is right now. It also gives us the second best tandem of the teams remaining behind Anaheim, and probably third best tandem in the league behind Anaheim and SJ. If Emery flops or gets _____, suddenly having Gerbs on the bench instead of a guy like Morrison or Guard looks fricking great.

Comrie - acquired for Kaigs. Enough said.

Saprykin and Nycholat - depth moves at very little cost. Saprykin has been so good for us filling in that Eaves can't even get his spot back. Nycholat was good in the one game he played and will be dependable should any injuries force him into the lineup. I would much rather have Saprykin and Nycholat around than McGrattan and Allison.

All of his acquisitions but Nycholat and Gerber have played a key role in getting the team this far in the playoffs.

Last edited by moz: 05-15-2007 at 06:31 PM.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I seriously cannot believe Sens fans are still trashing Muckler, when the team he has assembled is on the brink of the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in FRANCHISE HISTORY.

Alfredsson - he didn't trade him when the media and some fans were crying out for it, from game 5 of the Buffalo series last year to December of this year. He signed him a few years ago to probably the second best discount contract in the league next to Brodeur's.

Phillips + Volchenkov - subject of trade rumours early in the year. Volchenkov has been trade bait since he got here. Muckler held on the them, and signed them to great long-term contracts.

Redden - kept instead of Chara, had a very difficult year but has really picked up his play and proved in the NJ and Buffalo series that he is the kind one we need for playoff success, not Chara.

McAmmond and Corvo - UFA acquisitions which took a little while to settle in but have played irreplaceable roles in this cup run.

Preissing - probably the most controversial decision, but he's playing great hockey. Is he worth more to us in this cup run than Havlat would have been? I wouldn't say so, but for 600k and the kind of numbers he's put up, he's certainly worth more than Pothier.

Gerber - Muckler is understandably still taking heat for this, but the signing of a #1 goalie challenged Emery to become the goalie he is right now. It also gives us the second best tandem of the teams remaining behind Anaheim, and probably third best tandem in the league behind Anaheim and SJ. If Emery flops or gets _____, suddenly having Gerbs on the bench instead of a guy like Morrison or Guard looks fricking great.

Saprykin and Nycholat - depth moves at very little cost. Saprykin has been so good for us filling in that Eaves can't even get his spot back. Nycholat was good in the one game he played and will be dependable should any injuries force him into the lineup. I would much rather have Saprykin and Nycholat around than McGrattan and Allison.

All of his acquisitions but Nycholat and Gerber have played a key role in getting the team this far in the playoffs.
You forgot to list the Heatley trade.

Heatley is a better playoff player than Hossa ever was, plus the Senators also saved about $4 million in salary cap space with that trade.

Old
05-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:

Phillips + Volchenkov - subject of trade rumours early in the year. Volchenkov has been trade bait since he got here. Muckler held on the them, and signed them to great long-term contracts.

Redden - kept instead of Chara, had a very difficult year but has really picked up his play and proved in the NJ and Buffalo series that he is the kind one we need for playoff success, not Chara.

But he traded Arnason for Bochenski. He SUCKS Lets lynch him!!!!

Old
05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
You forgot to list the Heatley trade.

Heatley is a better playoff player than Hossa ever was, plus the Senators also saved about $4 million in salary cap space with that trade.
I was only thinking of moves from this season.

Heatley is now 5 points away from Hossa's career playoff total, in 32 less games played. Enough said!

Old
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
I was only thinking of moves from this season.
Ah, I understand now.

Quote:
Heatley is now 5 points away from Hossa's career playoff total, in 32 less games played. Enough said!
I don't think he can catch Hossa. Not dynamic or skilled enough.

Old
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
We could only be so lucky if Muck a duck goes. I have been calling for his firing all season long as have many others. hmmm perhaps a petition ... lol.
Well many of us have made mistakes too, we wont it hold against you for being so wrong

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
OttawaGM

At the end of the day it's the GM that brings in the players and it's the Coach that gets them to win. The Sens are winning not because they are twice as talented as everyone else but because they're playing the system that the coaches gave them and got them to buy into.

I don't see Muckler being fired but I also don't see him back after this year as I believe he will retire.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
moz
Gute Post

I can't believe you're trying to escape giving Muckler credit. Yes, Murray has been incredible in instilling a workmanlike ethic in these boys. Alfredsson gave him sole credit for the team's turnaround in January.

But you'd still rather have seen Muckler send off Alfie and Volchenkov in October, then fire Murray, then quit. Ok.

Or, you'd rather Muckler have broken the bank to bring in a "veteran" "presence" and potentially upset the balance in the dressing room and on the ice. Take away icetime from guys like Vermette, Kelly and McAmmond. Lose an Eaves or a Vermette or a Lee for a shot at getting to a place we've gotten without that big name deadline acquisition. Ooook.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Well many of us have made mistakes too, we wont it hold against you for being so wrong
I'll say it more clearly, he is a joke :-)

it is not what he has (or hasn't) done. It's his lack of respect for his own players and his failure to take responsibility for his own mistakes. The guy is a jerk in person and although we all know he will not be fired because no one has the chonies to do it, it doesn't mean we have to like him.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
isn't Strachan the Celtic Manager? Why would he be making rumors about Muckler ? :S This board is very strange.

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
bsens

Quote:

Phillips + Volchenkov - subject of trade rumours early in the year. Volchenkov has been trade bait since he got here. Muckler held on to them, and signed them to great long-term contracts.

Redden - kept instead of Chara, had a very difficult year but has really picked up his play and proved in the NJ and Buffalo series that he is the kind we need for playoff success, not Chara.

Again I am glad that no one else in the world would have been smart enough to do this but him. As much as it would suck, I will laugh if the Sens don't advance and then see who is talking trash about him lol. Just like his oh so wonderful confidence in Cameron. Even Cameron knew himself that he couldn't hack it anymore.

Muck a duck has done some great things but so have many other GM's. Could the Sens live without him? absolutely. oh wait, maybe they can't cuz the fans would cry bloddy murder.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Again I am glad that no one else in the world would have been smart enough to do this but him. As much as it would suck, I will laugh if the Sens don't advance and then see who is talking trash about him lol. Just like his oh so wonderful confidence in Cameron. Even Cameron knew himself that he couldn't hack it anymore.

Muck a duck has done some great things but so have many other GM's. Could the Sens live without him? absolutely. oh wait, maybe they can't cuz the fans would cry bloddy murder.
How many GMs have won Ottawa a cup?

Looks like Muck will be the first.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
How many GMs have won Ottawa a cup?

Looks like Muck will be the first.
How many times has Ottawa choked?