HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Its Spelled F-L-E-U-R-Y

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 12:15 PM
zeppelin97

vCash: 500
Ones I've noticed Choke-manek and Dat-sucks. You people need to stop misspelling these names, jeez.

Old
12-23-2003, 12:24 PM
King of Kelvington

...somebody call the Anal-Police, quick.

Old
12-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Tacks

I don't think the people that are saying 'call the anal police' or 'you have issues' really get what the problem is. It's understandable that not everyone has perfect grammar. If someone types 'effect' when they mean 'affect' or 'there' when they mean 'they're' I'm not goint to point it out because you can still get their point in the context of the post. Mispelling someone's last name is a little less forgiving though. I have a 12 letter last name and it's pretty annoying hearing people ignore the correct pronunciation or spelling, it's a little disrespectful also.

Old
12-23-2003, 01:35 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacks
I don't think the people that are saying 'call the anal police' or 'you have issues' really get what the problem is.
I get what the problem is but i find it annoying when people get bent outta shape that someone hit the wrong key on a keyboard or spelt the wrong pronunciation...like seriously get a life already!

This is a hockey board not an english class...

Old
12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
El_Loco_Avs

People almost always spell my last name wrong.

I don't really care, other spellings are more common...

however, people seem to get even the simplest names wrong!

getting Leschyschyn (?) wrong is one thing... it's impossible

Fedorov & Hejduk couldn't be simpler!

Old
12-23-2003, 07:35 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Who cares.

Not everybody got an A in spelling in high school.
That's why this thread was created.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I taught myself to spell Nieuwendyk when he became a Leaf but it was damn hard early on.

bassicly I went back to bassic spelling with "I before E, in Nieuwey"

Old
12-23-2003, 08:17 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Kovalev
Not Fluery

I dont know how many times I have seen people spell it wrong - Even after all the games he has played, articles and reports written about him and the amount of threads concerning his welfare - his name still continues to be spelt wrong. Please learn from this thread.

F L E U R Y
Get a life.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Teemu

And those people who spell Brett Farve F-A-V-R-E... boy i tell ya...

Old
12-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
What is the purpose of an english class?

Old
12-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Yes, this is true. I remember the wonderful days in english class where we tried to learn how to spell names such as Branko Radivojevic and Timofei Shishkanov. Great point.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Ok, ******* correct spelling. Let's all spell players' names like you pronounce them. Expect to see a lot Lemjuu, Nššslund, Forsbšri, Shšnšhšn, Hall, Aizerman, LiidstrŲm, FlŲrii, Modanou, Heiduuk, Bertutsi, Takker, Peka, Noulan, Hiitli, Tangei etc. from the Finnish posters.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
The same with Russian names:

Should be : Fyodorov, Kovalyov, Tverdovskiy (not Teverdovskiy).

Also they should be pronounced as:

Kova- 'lyov
Sam- 'so - nov
Na- 'za - rov
Chis - 'tov
Fro - 'lov
That is not really true. When names are taken from cyrillic to latin, they're generally done on a per letter basis, not phonetically. E is turned into an e, not a ye. ň is also turned into an e, not yo. X is turned into KH not H. И(backwards N if you can't see cyrillic font) is turned into an I instead of EE. Which is why we end up with the names being spelled Fedorov, Kovalev, Vladimir(not Vlahdeemeer), Khabibulin(not Habeebuhlin), and so on. But I agree with the pronounciation sort of. I don't mind that people say Feh-dor-ov or Kov-ah-lev, but one that bugs me is when people say chuck instead of chook like in Kovalchuk.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Hejduk NOT Hedjuk
Really??? I always thought it was Hedjuk...

Old
12-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
nope

Old
12-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

The way I remembered Hejduk is because j and y are interchangable in some places so I remembered it as hey-duk and changed the y to j.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:45 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
That is not really true. When names are taken from cyrillic to latin, they're generally done on a per letter basis, not phonetically. E is turned into an e, not a ye. ň is also turned into an e, not yo. X is turned into KH not H. И(backwards N if you can't see cyrillic font) is turned into an I instead of EE. Which is why we end up with the names being spelled Fedorov, Kovalev, Vladimir(not Vlahdeemeer), Khabibulin(not Habeebuhlin), and so on. But I agree with the pronounciation sort of. I don't mind that people say Feh-dor-ov or Kov-ah-lev, but one that bugs me is when people say chuck instead of chook like in Kovalchuk.
Writing Fyodorov as Fedorov leads to the wrong pronounciation. How should people know that Fedorov should be pronounced as Fyodorov from that spell?

English is very flexible in term of last name spell so if Sergei wanted he could've translated his last name as Fyodorov.

What I wonder about is why Mogilniy spelled as Mogilny...

(Are you Russian btw?)

I am pretty sure that Stumpel should be pronounced as Shtoompel...

Old
12-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Writing Fyodorov as Fedorov leads to the wrong pronounciation. How should people know that Fedorov should be pronounced as Fyodorov from that spell?
Very understandable. But I don't mind when people don't say Fyodorov, because I think the standard North American pronounciation of the name is Feh-der-ov(I realize it's a double negative, too lazy to retype it.) Just like Fedor. No one here(north america) says Fyodor Fyodorov, it's feh-der feh-der-ov. I think a reason letters are translated individually is because of cyrillic letters like O, which is pronounced in two completely different ways depending on whether or not it's stressed. Probably just easier to call it o and forget about it. I won't get mad when someone says chuck instead of chook, sicne chuck is the north american pronounciation but I always say chook. BTW I can understand why people would think the name is spelled Federov, because that's how we say it. The thing that bugs me about it, especially when Wings fans would spell it that way is that we've been seeing Fedorov on the back of his jersey for over ten years. I'm sure we as english speakers inherently spell it Federov, but it's nice to learn to spell things correctly, I believe, even if it is just an internet message board.

Quote:
English is very flexible in term of last name spell so if Sergei wanted he could've translated his last name as Fyodorov.
This is true. Just like Vyacheslav/Viacheslav, Sergei/Sergey, Alexei/Aleksei/Aleksey/Alexey. But generally, we all stick to one spelling.

Quote:
What I wonder about is why Mogilniy spelled as Mogilny...
I'm guessing because it's awkward for us to have an i followed by a y. Just like any word that ends in sky, we take the two letters at the end and make them into a y.

There are a lot of Slavic names tharare pronounced a lot differently than they appear. Cechmanek, Satan, Neckar to name a few...

And no, I'm not Russian. I just like it a lot.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:39 PM
BruinsGirl

I am Russian..and I really respect your knowledge of Russian language and phonetics. (Btw I live in MA )

I don't really get all that upset about the names...( I am for one would never be able to pronounce "th" right! ).

I just wanted to give people a chance to know how these names "should" be spelled and pronounced .

Last edited by BruinsGirl: 12-24-2003 at 07:43 PM.
Old
12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
I am Russian..and I really respect your knowledge of Russian language and phonetics. (Btw I live in MA )

I don't really get all that upset about the names...( I am for one would never be able to pronounce "th" right! ).

I just wanted to give people a chance to know how these names "should" be spelled and pronounced .
Ah... if I had known that you were russian I wouldn't have said all of that since you knew it already, heh.

But thanks for the effort to show the real pronunciations.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:25 PM
lux_interior

How about Giguire instead of Giguere.

My first name, Keith, is spelled incorrectly all the time. People spell it Kieth almost as often as they spell it Keith. Lifelong struggle.

And I did get an A in spelling.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:58 AM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
You're right that it's actually "Chook", not "chuck".

But Kovalchuk insisted on being called Koval"chuck" ( ) because he thought it was more "Americanized". So I guess calling him "chuck" is not completely incorrect.

Old
12-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Kovalev
Not Fluery

I dont know how many times I have seen people spell it wrong - Even after all the games he has played, articles and reports written about him and the amount of threads concerning his welfare - his name still continues to be spelt wrong. Please learn from this thread.

F L E U R Y
Well, it's about *** time somebody set the record straight!

Fleury

Old
12-26-2003, 05:09 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
You're right that it's actually "Chook", not "chuck".

But Kovalchuk insisted on being called Koval"chuck" ( ) because he thought it was more "Americanized". So I guess calling him "chuck" is not completely incorrect.
He is a kid and thinks it's cool! But it should be "oo". Our announcers call him Ko-val-chook. By the way "L" should be soft

KO-VAL'-CHOOK

It's Ukrainian last name and KOVAL' means SMITH
(In Russian KUZNETS)

Old
12-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Thalia

There's only two occasions when I will correct someone's spelling or grammar.

1.) When we are discussing the subject of spelling and grammar.

2.) When someone insults another poster (or myself)... calling them "stupid", "idiotic" etc. and yet their post is FULL of spelling/grammar mistakes... it's only fair that I draw attention to their own errors.

Other than that, I could care less how bad their posts were written; as long as I can figure out what they're trying to say, then that's okay by me; everyone has their own messageboard style.

However, I can't/won't read a post that has no paragraphs... too time consuming and frustrating. Make all the spelling/grammar mistakes that you want but just remember that 'paragraphs are your friends'.

Edit: BTW, the thread title should say: It's Fleury. Not, Its Fleury, but hey, who's paying attention eh?

Last edited by Thalia: 12-26-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Closed Thread